Rihanna-A boring halftime performance

Billsfan1972

5 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I don’t think we’ll see a country or rock act ever again for the SB halftime show.

It's stupid they only want to appeal to those who like pop. As if there aren't thousands of people who also like other styles. Maybe Garth brooks or Blake Shelton if they promise to sniff their nut cheese. Idk

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point of the show is that 90% of those watching the show have never seen these performers live so it is about the performance and putting.on a show.  The chores and whole look was boring.

However listening to these entertainment shows all are fawning.  

Ot was very boring and I'm fine with her music.

Putting on a SB half-time show featuring chores is always going to be a risky prop in a pure entertainment sense.

She put more energy into commercials for show than show.

And that one number had her in red rubber suit reminding me of a show with a guy in an inflatable suit bouncing all around the stage.

23 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

It's stupid they only want to appeal to those who like pop. As if there aren't thousands of people who also like other styles. Maybe Garth brooks or Blake Shelton if they promise to sniff their nut cheese. Idk

They should get two bands do a joint performance like Chicago & Earth Wind and Fire did in 2004 at the Greek Theatre,  Completely different styles but they pulled it off.  Bands could also do pre- and post- shows for paying customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqi3WOIwjA8

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shocker this board didn’t like the halftime show.  Every year, this board of old wet blankets starts all these threads about hating the halftime show even when it’s mostly regarded as great.  

I feel like the only halftime show that would get any positive threads here would be some old timer artist or band.  Anything other than that and this board revolts lol.

Last years halftime show won an Emmy, board still hated it lol.  

Emmys, Oscars, and Grammys  all such nowadays too.

The halftime show was wildly meh.. and I don’t mind Rihanna’s music at all.  

I can’t remember a single moment of the show.  Might as well just played one of those random Amazon Music concerts they keep trying to hype people on after Thursday Night Football. 

Should’ve brought Ye out during “All of the Lights”… everyone I know thought that was about to happen … and then, meh, next song, more forgettable bubble dancers. 

19 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

have you been following the news in the past year or so?

Kendrick Lamar talks about smashing a white girl for ancestral revenge in his most recent album.  

Eminem’s lyrics … ha, ok…

Ye says stupid stuff .. but it’s the wrong stupid stuff.  Yeezus Ye would’ve been able to perform, but not “this” Ye.. alright, sorry .. I don’t accept that premise.   I get why corporate NFL can’t bring him on .. but it’s performative bs. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Went back and watched without the crowded house and such…. 

I’ll say some of the staging/cinematography was stunning. Maybe left a little on the table but super cool for the most part. 

choreography of her dancers still not my favorite, but a little better than first impression

setlist and stringing the medley together clicked even less under scrutiny though. Would be curious the thought process on a few transitions. 

looking back through her catalogue still amazed the ultimate collaborator went 100% solo. Could’ve had so many artists. Heck. Even if wanting to sidestep that image they could’ve had asap do something to be a part of actually announcing the pregnancy via song. It just needed some sort of extra punch to create the iconic moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:48 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The whole floating platform thing seemed promising at first, but they went absolutely nowhere with it.  Her performance seemed flat and uninspired, and the Michelin Man dancers were ridiculous looking.  Not a fan. 

Really? That was my favorite part…😉

21 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll say some of the staging/cinematography was stunning. Maybe left a little on the table but super cool for the most part. 

choreography of her dancers still not my favorite, but a little better than first impression

setlist and stringing the medley together clicked even less under scrutiny though. Would be curious the thought process on a few transitions. 

looking back through her catalogue still amazed the ultimate collaborator went 100% solo. Could’ve had so many artists. Heck. Even if wanting to sidestep that image they could’ve had asap do something to be a part of actually announcing the pregnancy via song. It just needed some sort of extra punch to create the iconic moment. 

Jay Z was in the building! Why not convince him to come out for the “we gonna run this town tonight” song. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

I like her and fine when her songs come on the radio, but boy was that a nondescript halftime show.

Then I go online and everyone's saying how wonderful it was.

Am I missing something?

People are talking more about her reveal than the actual performance. I think this was more of a publicity stunt than a performance

I thought it was an absolute disaster. 

What boggles my mind is that they didn't cancel when they found out she was going to be 4 months pregnant or even worse, she planned and timed her pregnancy for the SB to be some stupid feminist stunt. 

Absolute trash performance. Embarrassing for the country. Give us entertainment, not indoctrination. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

I like her and fine when her songs come on the radio, but boy was that a nondescript halftime show.

Then I go online and everyone's saying how wonderful it was.

Am I missing something?

Well is any of this surprising when just a few years back they were all saying they were tired of the old timers like Aerosmith & the Who people now a days don't know iconic music & would rather have drum machines and spoken word "Music" !

When these same folks thought that the Black Eyed Peas was a great half time show that said it all to me i don't even watch the half time stuff any more i may have took in about 2 minutes of it then had to get another beer & give one back .

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Well is any of this surprising when just a few years back they were all saying they were tired of the old timers like Aerosmith & the Who people now a days don't know iconic music & would rather have drum machines and spoken word "Music" !

When these same folks thought that the Black Eyed Peas was a great half time show that said it all to me i don't even watch the half time stuff any more i may have took in about 2 minutes of it then had to get another beer & give one back .

Ironically enough, given both of these artists were in songs Rihanna sang... Kanye or Chris Brown would probably put on one of the best halftime shows ever, but of course, corporate NFL could never. 

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ironically enough, given both of these artists were in songs Rihanna sang... Kanye or Chris Brown would probably put on one of the best halftime shows ever, but of course, corporate NFL could never. 

Maybe but i would have to wait to see their performance . I make my decisions on music in the fact that who's music will more than likely still be being played 50 yrs from now .

Those that saw the old timers as not that good IMHO don't have a clue when it comes to what real music is about all of the so called old timers did it all with pure talent no computers with auto tune , no drum machines , just what god gave them to work with !

Give me Stevie Wonder, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Van Halen over any of the new stuff today !!

Most any one today can be a huge star as long as they have the looks & work out i am in the industry & it pains me when you go to a concert only to find out that most of the show is on tracks that are recorded in a studio & it is not actually a "Live" performance and most all of any TV performances even Rhianna's are mostly lip synched to tracks .

I recently had a sound engineer on my bus that told my about a recent award show he went to because the artist we were working for at the time was performing there that basically their entire performance was on tracks which who can't do that I could record my voice as crappy as it is & use auto tune & record really good musicians on a background track with great back up vocals & do the same thing .

Like most things today it's all prefab and those that watch it don't have a clue but the so called old guys that did it for real are the ones that suck !! 

Edited by T master
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

Maybe but i would have to wait to see their performance . I make my decisions on music in the fact that who's music will more than likely still be being played 50 yrs from now .

Those that saw the old timers as not that good IMHO don't have a clue when it comes to what real music is about all of the so called old timers did it all with pure talent no computers with auto tune , no drum machines , just what god gave them to work with !

Give me Stevie Wonder, Aerosmith, Tina Turner, Van Halen over any of the new stuff today !!

Most any one today can be a huge star as long as they have the looks & work out i am in the industry & it pains me when you go to a concert only to find out that most of the show is on tracks that are recorded in a studio & it is not actually a "Live" performance and most all of any TV performances even Rhianna's are mostly lip synched to tracks .

I recently had a sound engineer on my bus that told my about a recent award show he went to because the artist we were working for at the time was performing there that basically their entire performance was on tracks which who can't do that I could record my voice as crappy as it is & use auto tune & record really good musicians on a background track with great back up vocals & do the same thing .

Like most things today it's all prefab and those that watch it don't have a clue but the so called old guys that did it for real are the ones that suck !! 

Chris Brown is absurdly talented.  His hit catalogue is next level and he's a straight up performer.  One of the best dancers in the industry.

Kanye is just another level, performance-wise.  His Donda event with the burning house and Kim K coming out in a wedding dress... just iconic stuff. 

Unfortunately, we've likely seen the last of those two on a large stage.  They've committed the unforgivable corporate sins. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Chris Brown is absurdly talented.  His hit catalogue is next level and he's a straight up performer.  One of the best dancers in the industry.

Kanye is just another level, performance-wise.  His Donda event with the burning house and Kim K coming out in a wedding dress... just iconic stuff. 

Unfortunately, we've likely seen the last of those two on a large stage.  They've committed the unforgivable corporate sins. 

Which is another master piece of todays woke culture . But i will have to check them both out i have a saying good music is good music i like it all as long as the talent is there & it hurts my heart when i find out that computers are involved just to make the end result flawless .

I hope these 2 don't have that in their music because if they do i'm out but i'll give it a shot ...

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2023 at 10:24 PM, NoSaint said:

It's all so cringe to me.

A person walking around a platform mouthing words with a microphone that's turned off.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

What boggles my mind is that they didn't cancel when they found out she was going to be 4 months pregnant or even worse, she planned and timed her pregnancy for the SB to be some stupid feminist stunt. 

Absolute trash performance. Embarrassing for the country. Give us entertainment, not indoctrination. 

You aren’t a real person are you?

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It's all so cringe to me.

A person walking around a platform mouthing words with a microphone that's turned off.

Guess what Einstein? It wasn’t for you. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

i don't think i've ever seen anyone take a halftime performance in such a strange way.  

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Who was it for?

there's a massive viewership for the super bowl that only watches for commercial and the halftime show.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Herc11 said:

People are talking more about her reveal than the actual performance. I think this was more of a publicity stunt than a performance

Why is her pregnancy such a big deal that its "reveal" during the SB compensates for the lack of singing and dancing quality? This is a genuine question - how is the reveal actually part of entertainment??

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Agree 1

The Super Bowl halftime shows I recall watching maybe 10-20 years ago were Prince, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, and Madonna.  I would say at that point their height of popularity passed.  Those I enjoyed watching.

While the halftime was always a big show it seems since then these artists that get chosen now are more and more at the height of their popularity.  I believe Rihanna is the it girl right now (she’s only in her 30s).   While I admit I did like the Bruno Mars performance the whole game and night is much more pop culture oriented than ever.   And really with every fiber of my being I could care less to watch the game.  Unless of course the Bills would be in it.  

On 2/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

Read the OP.  I like her songs and was looking forward to seeing it (as I do most).  It came off flat after what looked like a cool start and went nowhere.   

But you are right about how most people react.  Everyone here wants AC/DC or Aerosmith.

Last year was very good.

They want that because it's what should happen.  GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters (for the kids), repeat.

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Guess what Einstein? It wasn’t for you. 

Isn't it supposed to be for everyone?

29 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Why is her pregnancy such a big deal that its "reveal" during the SB compensates for the lack of singing and dancing quality? This is a genuine question - how is the reveal actually part of entertainment??

One reason, Pop culture

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Like most things today it's all prefab and those that watch it don't have a clue

Oh, they have a clue all right. My teenage daughter loves Rihanna. Loves her for being a celebrity, for being a queen (not of the drag type) for making tons of money and living her best life. She doesn’t really love her music; I mean, she knows it if it’s on the radio or a Spotify playlist, but doesn’t actively seek it out. She loves the brand. And she couldn’t care less is Rihanna is lip-synching an entire show or if all the music tracks are prerecorded. She probably wouldn’t bother to go see some kind of 1990s “Rihanna unplugged” show with Rihanna sitting on a stool crooning her hits dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. That wouldn’t be a spectacle. That’s what the kids love. A spectacle.
By the way, she (and her friends) also like other music that she streams - actual songs written by actual songwriters - but unlike my generation it’s not an either/or thing. I wouldn’t be caught dead at her age listening to some pop garbage. My tastes were too “elevated.” Or so I thought. This generation? Not interested in being music snobs. Maybe that’s a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Jay Z was in the building! Why not convince him to come out for the “we gonna run this town tonight” song. 

im thinking “presented by Apple Music” and “partial owner of tidal” may be an issue

then you get into no Kanye cause Kanye, no eminem cause two years in a row and maybe it turned into a “just showcase her” as you creep down the list of who could join. 

just spitballing 

17 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Wait, what?  Indoctrination into what - mother's working?  Women having kids?  🤨

Aaaaaanywho, good article from Pitchfork on the matter:  https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/the-sly-dominance-of-rihannas-super-bowl-halftime-show/

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

They want that because it's what should happen.  GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters (for the kids), repeat.

Isn't it supposed to be for everyone?

The hardcore football is watching the game. It’s for my girlfriend and fringe fans who like her and popular music(believe it or not, there are people out there who don’t like classic rock music).  Guess what they loved that performance. And apparently, she has bigger numbers than the SB.

but I’m sure next time the nfl will consult the grumpy old men club of TBD. 👴 

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.