We would of won if we had a dome

Chicagobills

First of all the way we were poorly prepared and the way the Bengals felt disrespected (like the Bills were looking past them) before this game were huge factors. I think we would have lost in a dome too. However I agree with the snow playing havoc with our defense and offensive timing. The offense especially looked out of sync and part of that was the snowy conditions. Weirdly the Bengals were absolutely unaffected by the snow. 

In the end the overall quality of this game was diminished by the weather and this is probably the 3rd or 4th time in the past 2 years that the weather has negatively affected this team, including moving the game to Detroit. I think its the height of stupidity to not build a dome in Buffalo or at least a retractable roof option. But the way things went today? we were going to lose anyway!

1 hour ago, Chicagobills said:

I believe the weather was a big factor today. We couldn’t get the offense going with the snow. If we had a dome we would have won 

Yes, if part of the dome would have collapsed and landed on Joe Burrow and a few O linemen... Then MAYBE this team could have beat the Bengals today.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Domes don’t block or rush the passer. 

No but our guys looked like they were running on ice.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Was it me or did the slippery conditions favor the bigger man? Is it the Bengals simply were bigger or slid further? 

I think all our play calls needed quick cuts and starts. Cinci was more straightforward.

34 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

That was embarrassing.  Divisional round playoff game and that many opposing fans.  Sad 

It feels like the fans got appropriate effort from this game given what they put into it. And I include myself in that, because I was close to buying a ticket but waffled out of it. It was a disgrace. 

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

First of all the way we were poorly prepared and the way the Bengals felt disrespected (like the Bills were looking past them) before this game were huge factors. I think we would have lost in a dome too. However I agree with the snow playing havoc with our defense and offensive timing. The offense especially looked out of sync and part of that was the snowy conditions. Weirdly the Bengals were absolutely unaffected by the snow. 

In the end the overall quality of this game was diminished by the weather and this is probably the 3rd or 4th time in the past 2 years that the weather has negatively affected this team, including moving the game to Detroit. I think its the height of stupidity to not build a dome in Buffalo or at least a retractable roof option. But the way things went today? we were going to lose anyway!

No indication at all that the Bills were looking past the game. That’s media driven bs. The Bills were certainly outcoached, outschemed and outplayed today though. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No indication at all that the Bills were looking past the game. That’s media driven bs. The Bills were certainly outcoached, outschemed and outplayed today though. 

I dont think the Bills players necessarily were but allowing fans to prepurchase Atlanta seats before the game was real certainly created that vibe.

9 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I dont think the Bills players necessarily were but allowing fans to prepurchase Atlanta seats before the game was real certainly created that vibe.

That was a stupid narrative put out there by some simpleton Bengals player(s) like Joe Mixon. The Bengals sold AFC Championship tickets weeks ago  , as did the Chiefs, Bills and probably any team that could host. That’s how the league does it. 

13 minutes ago, Senth said:

It's all about the trenches and always has been.

Yep, you have to win in the trenches. The Bills OL hasn’t done that most of the season ; Allen covered it up a lot. Tougher to do that in the playoffs though, and the Bills offense probably peaked too soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

This was the most annoying fabricated take I've ever seen. I'm going to flip out the next time someone brings it up on TV. Every single venue that could have possibly hosted a championship game began selling tickets before this weekend's games. Every single one. Of course the league is going to advertise it to some degree, because the average viewer probably has no idea that this is a possibility 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Could it have just come down to wearing better cleats?  On O and on D, the Bengals seemed to be able to run and cut pretty well.  Our guys were so tentative.  Cook took a swing pass to the left side.  There was a hole there for him to cut back into, and on a dry field he's made that cut many times.  Today he just ran straight ahead and got tackled.  It was even worse on D, where our guys just didn't attack like they usually do.  

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, you have to win in the trenches. The Bills OL hasn’t done that most of the season ; Allen covered it up a lot. Tougher to do that in the playoffs though, and the Bills offense probably peaked too soon. 

The Dolphins solved Josh.  They spied him, and suddenly Allen could no longer break off the long runs our O depends on.  So of course the Bengals did it too.

Until we figure out how to neutralize the spy, we'll keep seeing it, and Josh will lose part of the skill set that makes him so good.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Chicagobills said:

I believe the weather was a big factor today. We couldn’t get the offense going with the snow. If we had a dome we would have won 

I look at it differently:  We might have won if we didn’t build a dome team.

The way this team is constructed makes zero sense.  A mini-rebuild is needed if we don’t want to feel like this every January.

Edited by mannc

7 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I want to say the snow made the field slippery for our footing. OK. Then how come Cinci had no issues. IDK, Ugh

Because they game planned for the weather better. 

Bills game planned wrong. Chose to defer and got behind 14-0.

The weather had a lot to do with it, the Bills planned poorly and got behind. 

The first game Bengals won toss and elected to receive.  This should have tipped their hand at what they wanted to do... Jump out to early lead. Yesterday,  Bills won toss... They should have not given the Bengals the ball to start.  Bills should have attempted to jump out to early lead!  Especially with the weather.

The weather demoralized the Bills after getting down quickly.  

Always push your troops forward on bad ground.  The Bills for some inexplicable reason went back on their heels!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Chicagobills said:

Ya think? I'm saying that the way we played, we would have needed a tomahawk cruise missle to win. 

Most of our players, Led by Poyer, White, and the entire OL stunk up the field. 

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Could it have just come down to wearing better cleats?  On O and on D, the Bengals seemed to be able to run and cut pretty well.  Our guys were so tentative.  Cook took a swing pass to the left side.  There was a hole there for him to cut back into, and on a dry field he's made that cut many times.  Today he just ran straight ahead and got tackled.  It was even worse on D, where our guys just didn't attack like they usually do.  

The Dolphins solved Josh.  They spied him, and suddenly Allen could no longer break off the long runs our O depends on.  So of course the Bengals did it too.

Until we figure out how to neutralize the spy, we'll keep seeing it, and Josh will lose part of the skill set that makes him so good.

There was a famous Grey Cup game where that was exactly the case.

https://cooperstownersincanada.com/2012/11/23/special-grey-cup-entry-remembering-the-1977-staples-game/

Edmonton won their Semi-Final 38-1 and were favourites.  Montreal (who squeaked through their Semi-Final) were prepared and had staples in their cleats on an icy field.

Final score was 41-6. 

12 hours ago, Chicagobills said:

if we need a dome to win, then we are not good enough

call a spade a spade, we saw our problems very early on in the year when we lost to Miami and the Jets, those problems were on full display going against a top playoff team

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

That was a stupid narrative put out there by some simpleton Bengals player(s) like Joe Mixon. The Bengals sold AFC Championship tickets weeks ago  , as did the Chiefs, Bills and probably any team that could host. That’s how the league does it. 

So you dont think there was any narrative that MANY of the Bengals (other than Mixon) felt disrespected at all? Even if the media "manufactured" the issue of Bills selling tickets to a neutral site and its normal practice, its still very obvious that something or a whole bunch of things were making the Bengals as a whole feel angry and disrespected.  Whether the Bills did look past them or it was a media invention to rile them up, the Bengals played with a fierce intensity on Jan3 and especially yesterday because in their minds, the Media and/or the Bills werent giving them any respect. The Bills had nothing in the way of toughness or mental preparation that got them ready for that.

Just now, ddaryl said:

if we need a dome to win, then we are not good enough

call a spade a spade, we saw our problems very early on in the year when we lost to Miami and the Jets, those problems were on full display going against a top playoff team

Agreed. This team should be built to win in the elements and I mean ALL elements to include strong winds, rain, and snow.

Did you see what the Eagles did to the Giants with their brutal offensive line?  I am an Alabama fan and I'm telling you that Josh Allen is 10x better than Jalen Hurts but he needs more protection and better weapons.

Some things will never change.  😟

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Governor said:

Terry got taken for a ride.

Is Terry "football dumb?" I doubt it, but I guess it may be possible. I mean, some owners are just plain life dumb, even though they are super rich. Just look at some of the unbelievable contracts they dole out to both players AND coaches, only to cut or fire them way before their contracts are fulfilled.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There was a famous Grey Cup game where that was exactly the case.

https://cooperstownersincanada.com/2012/11/23/special-grey-cup-entry-remembering-the-1977-staples-game/

Edmonton won their Semi-Final 38-1 and were favourites.  Montreal (who squeaked through their Semi-Final) were prepared and had staples in their cleats on an icy field.

Final score was 41-6. 

I thought of this yesterday and also the Bills connection as it was Marv who coached the Alouettes to the championship. They also supposedly put the staples in at halftime. Which probably goes down as the best halftime adjustment in any era of pro football. The field in question was the original astro turf in Montreal's Olympic stadium which was garbage. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.