We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

15 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Go watch this video and tell me that you don't want to beat the heck out of this cocky team on Sunday. 

https://www.bengals.com/video/wild-card-game-balls-locker-room-celebration-2023

I see absolutely noting objectionable in this video. It's just a team that, rightly, is confident in itself—they have to have an attitude, some degree of arrogance, to win. The Bills are absolutely no different. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Unless you're Tre White. That PI call that extended the Fins sole long drive was weak, especially given all that they let go throughout the game. 

How about the one against the Bengals the 1st play (I think) couple weeks ago when Burrow went long to Chase...that one was a questionable flag too imo

Just now, PaattMaann said:

it didnt hit him directly in the numbers?

I just went back to the dvr to watch because the highlights I found on youtube only show the live feed angle and moves on.

On the game broadcast, they show a replay that shows the defender making a great play on the ball by getting his arm/hand in there at the exact time Beasley is thinking he is about to make the grab.

Romo comments that he thinks the defender got away with a hold, but that could not be seen on the game broadcast views imo. 

All I know is that I do not blame Beasley (unless someone wants to say he could've come back to the ball).

I don't know enough or am not smart enough to tell if Josh should've thrown it or not. Might just be a defender making a great play and an unlucky bounce into another defenders arms. Or maybe the defender used illegal holding to make the play. Idk. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I see absolutely noting objectionable in this video. It's just a team that, rightly, is confident in itself—they have to have an attitude, some degree of arrogance, to win. The Bills are absolutely no different. 

If you're around it on a daily basis, that "they gotta play us" BS starts to get old really quickly. And the way that Zach Taylor just blows off a pretty bad performance as "AFC North football" is something that McDermott didn't do in his post-game speech. The Bills are "humble and hungry." The Bengals are "salty and hungry." For years the answer to "Who Dey" was "pretty much everybody."

6 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

How about the one against the Bengals the 1st play (I think) couple weeks ago when Burrow went long to Chase...that one was a questionable flag too imo

Agree, I thought at the time that was ticky-tack and I said "Well, OK, but if that's how you're gonna call it, just call it that way on both sides"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

unless someone wants to say he could've come back to the ball

He absolutely could have and should have come back to the ball. It was a tight throw for sure, but I didnt see any clearly better options on the throw. But he should have worked back to Josh.

3 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I just went back to the dvr to watch because the highlights I found on youtube only show the live feed angle and moves on.

On the game broadcast, they show a replay that shows the defender making a great play on the ball by getting his arm/hand in there at the exact time Beasley is thinking he is about to make the grab.

Romo comments that he thinks the defender got away with a hold, but that could not be seen on the game broadcast views imo. 

All I know is that I do not blame Beasley (unless someone wants to say he could've come back to the ball).

I don't know enough or am not smart enough to tell if Josh should've thrown it or not. Might just be a defender making a great play and an unlucky bounce into another defenders arms. Or maybe the defender used illegal holding to make the play. Idk.

McDermott's comment about that INT in his presser, FWIW, was "maybe we need to extend our hands more and come back to the ball". 

No question to me that Beas tried to body-catch that.

Romo had them show a broadcast that IMO showed a bit of a hold that kind of threw him off and may have prevented him coming back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm a little worried about Spencer Brown vs Sam Hubbard. Hubbard is a speed rusher, something Brown has trouble with. 

The pass pro is what it is , and it’s on Josh to get the ball out, move etc etc Pretty much as it’s been the entire season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Right. The fair thing to do would’ve been to give KC the bye since they were 14-3. The divisional game this week should’ve been at neutral site and if the Bills win KC comes to us (we overtake the 1 seed assuming we win at the neutral site) and the Bengals goto KC if they beat us since they wouldn’t have been able to get to 14 wins regardless of the outcome of our canceled game. 

I think the best solution would have been to have KC's last game against the Raiders just not count to the formula, that way the 3 teams in question all have played 16 games and have equal amount of games played and can follow normal tie breaking procedures. 

21 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That's what I thought also when first saw it, but maybe could have been considered one of those "bang-bang" type plays I assume.

Yeah so far they have been letting them play, 

I’m fine with letting them play. I’m not fine with blatant PI which that was. 

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

If you're around it on a daily basis, that "they gotta play us" BS starts to get old really quickly. And the way that Zach Taylor just blows off a pretty bad performance as "AFC North football" is something that McDermott didn't do in his post-game speech. The Bills are "humble and hungry." The Bengals are "salty and hungry." For years the answer to "Who Dey" was "pretty much everybody."

Humble and Hungry worries me a bit..  I get the mantra, and that's who McDermott and Frazier are... but if we can take anything from the two Cincy drives a few weeks ago, it's that they want to take it to our Defense and physically impose their will.  

When I watch some of these playoff defenses that slow down people, they seem to be filled with guys who are borderline line-steppers and chirp nonstop.  I don't any of that from our guys, sans Milano's physicality ... and guess what, he's a first team All-Pro.  Edmunds brought the hit stick out on Sunday, and that was good to see.  

Not saying we necessarily need to be like that to win, but Ravens Defenses are always like that.  Chiefs a few years ago in the AFC CG.. they were as physical as they could possibly be all game.   Bengals Offense came out, literally, with the intent to hurt people on that Monday Night.  

I'm hoping to see us match, and exceed, the Bengals physicality and aggression.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, wjag said:

After watching Baltimore v Cincinnati would it make sense to play 3DL and 3 LBs and 5 DBs?  Flood short zone passes with hands and date them to run Mixon?

No. They'll bust the bills d open a couple times with a busted coverage beat deep route to score. That's how they win. They only need 2 or 3 big plays and an average mediocre drive to score 24-30 pts and they win.  

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think the best solution would have been to have KC's last game against the Raiders just not count to the formula, that way the 3 teams in question all have played 16 games and have equal amount of games played and can follow normal tie breaking procedures. 

They weren’t going to spring that on KC for something that really didn’t involve them. This was about the Bills and to a lesser extent CIN and the Ravens. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Humble and Hungry worries me a bit..  I get the mantra, and that's who McDermott and Frazier are... but if we can take anything from the two Cincy drives a few weeks ago, it's that they want to take it to our Defense and physically impose their will.  

When I watch some of these playoff defenses that slow down people, they seem to be filled with guys who are borderline line-steppers and chirp nonstop.  I don't any of that from our guys, sans Milano's physicality ... and guess what, he's a first team All-Pro.  Edmunds brought the hit stick out on Sunday, and that was good to see.  

Not saying we necessarily need to be like that to win, but Ravens Defenses are always like that.  Chiefs a few years ago in the AFC CG.. they were as physical as they could possibly be all game.   Bengals Offense came out, literally, with the intent to hurt people on that Monday Night.  

Find Tre White and throw at him was their plan. 

He gave up 3/3 targets. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

That game was this group of Bengal players' first home primetime game. They came out with their hair on fire because they knew the whole NFL world was watching. The game would have settled in.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He gave up 3/3 targets. 

True .. I do think Tre White, a few weeks removed from that game, is a much better player now.  He was lacking confidence going into that game and they exploited it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, SCBills said:

True .. I do think Tre White, a few weeks removed from that game, is a much better player now.  He was lacking confidence going into that game and they exploited it. 

Yup, was just gonna say the same and add that I hope that is still their plan this week. Good luck with that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

Haven’t watched the play since Sunday but I saw the hold in the replay fwiw.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PaattMaann said:

Yup, was just gonna say the same and add that I hope that is still their plan this week. Good luck with that. 

I worry about that some.

You can definitely get behind Tre still. 

The Dolphins were able to do, a better throw to Waddle and Tre doesn’t catch up to that.

But I accept it won’t look perfect, they’re going to give up plays.

Can they get one INT on Burrow? He threw 12 this year, but only 8 across 15 games. 

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm a little worried about Spencer Brown vs Sam Hubbard. Hubbard is a speed rusher, something Brown has trouble with. 

Josh Allen was once the best passer against pressures/blitzing. There is hope that it'll make a difference this weekend and if I'm Cinci I control the line without a strong pass rush every play. I work timed blitzes and eat the Bills alive in delayed blitz pursuit and covering early.

Miami, by effect, eliminated short routes because they had too many defenders up close and Josh had to move to protect himself before a short route was available. Miami was too aggressive. By a tiny bit. Dial it back 1 maybe 2. And mix coverages on early downs to drop a man to cover 3 and I think they beat Allen 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Josh Allen was once the best passer against pressures/blitzing. There is hope that it'll make a difference this weekend and if I'm Cinci I control the line without a strong pass rush every play. I work timed blitzes and eat the Bills alive in delayed blitz pursuit and covering early.

Miami, by effect, eliminated short routes because they had too many defenders up close and Josh had to move to protect himself before a short route was available. Miami was too aggressive. By a tiny bit. Dial it back 1 maybe 2. And mix coverages on early downs to drop a man to cover 3 and I think they beat Allen 

Diggs has to be present all 4-quarters.

He can’t be taken out of the game by coverages. 

Minnesota just learned that the hard way with Jefferson. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Anyone have the all 22 of this play? None of the currently available camera angles show this. Didn't look like he gave up at the game either(I did look away from brown for a second on that play so it is possible, just haven't been shown any definitive proof other than romo said it). The camera angles currently available show the ball went the proper distance it was just too far inside. 

Just this replay, around the 39 sec you see Brown break the route towards the sideline. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, boyst said:

No. They'll bust the bills d open a couple times with a busted coverage beat deep route to score. That's how they win. They only need 2 or 3 big plays and an average mediocre drive to score 24-30 pts and they win.  

As a fan, are you saying this becuase you dont want to get your hopes up?  

Because, when you dig deeper than the surface, you will see this isnt the Bills defense you are referring to?  Are you afraid of Joe Burrow?  Its ok, hes a good QB, but statistically you are wrong on a lot here?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Defense Coordinator Lou Anarumo

Not picking on you or singling you out here, but ever notice when this dude’s name is brought up it always seems to be this way? Maybe I’m not listening to the right things, but rarely do I hear people say “Bengals DC” or “Anarumo” like you normally would. It’s typically “Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo”. No big deal or anything, just odd. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, wjag said:

After watching Baltimore v Cincinnati would it make sense to play 3DL and 3 LBs and 5 DBs?  Flood short zone passes with hands and date them to run Mixon?

There was a stat during a game a few weeks ago and Burrows had one of the worst passer ratings against a 3 man rush. He was ranked like 29th out of all QBs.

I felt like the first game they tried to bully our DBs with their big WRs (they do seem to love the short pass and physical run after catch).

Their 4 primary receivers Chase, Boyd, Hurst and Higgins average 6-3, 220 by comparison the Bills receivers are 6-1, 208

But, when you compare Bengals receivers to our secondary (top 6 guys who play) the Bills are only 6-0,192 big difference of 3 inches and 30 lbs.

We have to tackle really well in secondary Sunday!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I’m fine with letting them play. I’m not fine with blatant PI which that was. 

Oh definitely no doubt. As I said watching real time I thought it was one of those it looked obvious enough to the point that it should have been flagged. However, that said I can also see how a ref could have taken it as a bang/bang play

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

Isnt that daring them to pass? 

53 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He gave up 3/3 targets. 

That can't be correct

8 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Isnt that daring them to pass? 

That can't be correct

Just watched it. 

Play 1 - Tre one on one with Chase - PI (okay not a catch)

Play 2 - Tre gives up TD to Boyd

Play 3 - Tre is aligned (playing way off) across from Higgins as he runs across the field (maybe it's not his responsibility?)

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just watched it. 

Play 3 - Tre is aligned (playing way off) across from Higgins as he runs across the field (maybe it's not his responsibility?)

What did you think about that PI called on Tre?

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just watched it. 

Not sure what your talking about - His stat lines has two break ups

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

They weren’t going to spring that on KC for something that really didn’t involve them. This was about the Bills and to a lesser extent CIN and the Ravens. 

People forget that the Hunt family founded the AFL, and still gets a Rooney like deference from the other owners.

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

People forget that the Hunt family founded the AFL, and still gets a Rooney like deference from the other owners.

Maybe that factored in , but I don’t think they would’ve done that to the Bills either if the roles were reversed. No reason to bring an uninvolved team into it. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

The ball got there at the same time as the DB’s hand.  It was a forced throw to a guy who was covered.

Yeah, people keep saying it hit his chest, but the DBs hand was actually in front of his chest.  Though not ENTIRELY on Josh.  Beasley could have helped out by coming back to Josh.