We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Ravens play an aggressive style, and that is presumed “ better” by many fans. 

I've seen the Ravens slow down elite offenses in the playoffs. 

When the Bills do it, I think they'll start getting the same credit by many here... they will by me, at least.  

If they step up against Cincy, I'll be the first to give them credit.   

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

Man, Bengals fans are really whiny about the game being in Buffalo this weekend.

Let’s go over who got what benefits (as it relates to the Bills-Bengals and ignore the Ravens coin flip stuff because it isn’t relevant here).

Bills hurt by:

- Lost the ability to get the #1 seed

Cincy hurt by:

- Lost the ability to get the #1 seed or #2 seed

Concessions made to the Bills:

- Neutral site AFCCG if same losses as Chiefs at the end of the year

Concessions made to the Bengals:

It doesn’t seem hugely unfair if you assume the Bills-Bengals game never happened. They were both given the same concessions, the Bills just went into that game with a better record so it feels like they got “more” to sour grapes Bengals fans.

The team plays with a giant chip on their shoulder and the attitude has rubbed off on the whole city and most of SW Ohio and NKY. They feel constantly wronged by the league, other teams and the media. 

6 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Man, Bengals fans are really whiny about the game being in Buffalo this weekend.

Let’s go over who got what benefits (as it relates to the Bills-Bengals and ignore the Ravens coin flip stuff because it isn’t relevant here).

Bills hurt by:

- Lost the ability to get the #1 seed

Cincy hurt by:

- Lost the ability to get the #1 seed or #2 seed

Concessions made to the Bills:

Concessions made to the Bengals:

It doesn’t seem hugely unfair if you assume the Bills-Bengals game never happened. They were both given the same concessions, the Bills just went into that game with a better record so it feels like they got “more” to sour grapes Bengals fans.

if the situation was reversed, Bills fans would be whining too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, nucci said:

if the situation was reversed, Bills fans would be whining too

I would be saying the Bills should have won another game this year and maybe not choked against the Steelers.

If the Bengals and Bills went into that game with the same record they would have a point…but that wasn’t the case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

The Bengals are really good. I believe the Bills are better. The Bengals are going to come out very very fired up again. I think this is something to take advantage of. 

The crowd was electric in that game. It was the first Monday Night game in Cincinnati since December 2017.

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I would be saying the Bills should have won another game this year and maybe not choked against the Steelers.

If the Bengals and Bills went into that game with the same record they would have a point…but that wasn’t the case.

but others wouldn't be this rational

• Agree 1

I know it's a big "if" but if the jags pull off (another) the upset do they come to orchard park? I felt the neutral site would only apply to the bengals and don't understand why the neutral site would apply to kc? I would rather see the bills go in to arrowhead if kc wins. I mean, it's not like the bills can't win there?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I know it's a big "if" but if the jags pull off (another) the upset do they come to orchard park? I felt it neutral site would only apply to the bengals and don't understand why the neutral site would apply to kc? I would rather see the bills go in to arrowhead if kc wins. I mean, it's not like the bills can't win there?

Only neutral site game possibility is Chiefs and Bills. Jags will come to Orchard Park if they pull the upset. 

Why would you rather play KC at Arrowhead than Atlanta? Lots of Buffalo transplants in Atlanta.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Definitely, by the same logic that Bills/Chiefs will be at a neutral site, technically Bills/Bengals should be too.  With that said, I’m glad we get to host 😎

No it's not. The logic that the Bills v Chiefs game is at a neutral site is because they played a different amount of games and have the same number of loses. The Bills and Bengals played the same # of games and the Bengals have more loses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Only neutral site game possibility is Chiefs and Bills. Jags will come to Orchard Park if they pull the upset. 

Why would you rather play KC at Arrowhead than Atlanta? Lots of Buffalo transplants in Atlanta.

thanks for the reply. well, I just don't see the need for a neutral site. as bad as that may sound, I would rather see them beat kc, in kc. my question is why did they choose to have a neutral site for bills/kc and not bills/bengals. kind of confusing the hell out of me.

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, Josh had some nerve hitting Beasley in the chest with the ball like that.

The ball got there at the same time as the DB’s hand.  It was a forced throw to a guy who was covered.

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

thanks for the reply. well, I just don't see the need for a neutral site. as bad as that may sound, I would rather see them beat kc, in kc. my question is why did they choose to have a neutral site for bills/kc and not bills/bengals. kind of confusing the hell out of me.

Because the bills and bengals played the same number of games and we had a better record. Not the case with KC

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

The ball got there at the same time as the DB’s hand.  It was a forced throw to a guy who was covered.

It was a pass that should have been caught by Beasley.  It's really that simple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Honestly, I think the post right above yours is pretty clear. And as for KC, some equitable adjustment is valid. I don't think the Chiefs were slighted. If anything, they were pretty much gifted a first round bye.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

For a thread titled "We're on to Cincinnati", well....

We sure don't seem to be.

I wonder if Cinci is going to stick with the 2 high shell after watching the sometimes success plays the Dolphins had with Cover-0 and Cover-1 blitzes? 

I think they will. Much like the Bills they're a base nickel D. Even against our jumbo package with Bobby Hart. 

I'd love to see us commit to a balanced rushing attack against their light box. The more we stick to the run, the better play action will work. 

On D, we need to effect Burrow. With their depleted Online can we get consistent pressure with 4? Would love mix in Milano / Edmunds blitzes, Taron off the edge. Lots of simulated pressure. 

But I hate it when we blitz and half of our players drop into soft zones with eyes on the QB and never look at the recievers. I'd like to see more zone matching coverage than 3 guys covering empty blades of grass with no receivers within 20 yards of them...

And I really hope we see a lot of Elam matched up against either Chase or Higgins. Let Elam cover! 

34 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The team plays with a giant chip on their shoulder and the attitude has rubbed off on the whole city and most of SW Ohio and NKY. They feel constantly wronged by the league, other teams and the media. 

F@&! ‘em… that “ chip” crap doesn’t mean squat and is vastly overrated. I see some whiny cheap shot artists, and the game is in Buffalo because the Bills had a better record. Simple as that. 

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It wasn't a forced throw it was an NFL throw into tight coverage. 

Yep. Those types of throws are completed in every game. A bad bounce is all. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I know it's a big "if" but if the jags pull off (another) the upset do they come to orchard park? I felt the neutral site would only apply to the bengals and don't understand why the neutral site would apply to kc? I would rather see the bills go in to arrowhead if kc wins. I mean, it's not like the bills can't win there?

2nd half jags defense will beat Mahomes with how the jags offense (2nd half offense as well) plays 

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It was a pass that should have been caught by Beasley.  It's really that simple.

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

Go watch it again and tell me how Beasley could have caught that ball.

I haven't gone back and watched again just yet, but at first it looked like it could have been a PI that may have contributed to Bease not being able to catch it...

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It wasn't a forced throw it was an NFL throw into tight coverage. 

the DB was literally on Beasley's back and got his entire arm between the ball and Beasley.  There is absolutely no way Beasley makes that catch unless he could magically turn himself into Rob Gronkowski.  I don't think Beasley even touched the ball.

Edited by mannc
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Well....the Bengals had their own self-inflicted wounds in the Ravens game, but the Ravens generously declined to take advantage and responded with their on harikiri.  For example, if the Ravens tried some sort of offense from the Cinci 3 yrd line except THREE SUCCESSiVE PASSES, are you kidding me?  They could have gone into halftime up 14-9 instead of 10-9

Then of course there's the inexplicable 3rd and 1 decision by the Ravens to chant "I believe I can fly" and have Huntley keep and jump over the pile with the ball extended a half yard short of the goal line and his teammates pushing him from behind (which works better if you're not in the air), like they were running different plays.  Why they didn't give to Dobbins or Gus Bus there, is a mystery for the ages. Result, 14 point swing and the final score, 24-17

My point is that the Bengals did not exactly show themselves to be an unstoppable juggernaut vs. the Ravens either.  They gave the Ravens the temporary lead on a turnover, then took the final lead on a Ravens miscue. 

Yes, it was vs. a division rival who knows them well. 

So was the Dolphins game where the Bills didn't show themselves to be an unstoppable juggernaut.

Bengals also looked thoroughly beatable vs. NWE, giving up 2 INTs and a fumble.  Two missed PAT and a missed 2 point from a tied game.

Now, whether our coaches choose a game plan that can beat them, remains to be seen.

And for what it's worth a look at the stats is illuminating:

First Downs

Bengals 18   Ravens 23

Bills 25         Dolphins 16

Yards

Bengals 234   Ravens 364

Bills 423          Dolphins 231

So in some ways while the Bengals struggled to move the ball and the Ravens moved it fairly well the Bills went up and down the field and the Dolphins had only one long drive.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I wonder if Cinci is going to stick with the 2 high shell after watching the sometimes success plays the Dolphins had with Cover-0 and Cover-1 blitzes? 

I think they will. Much like the Bills they're a base nickel D. Even against our jumbo package with Bobby Hart. 

I'd love to see us commit to a balanced rushing attack against their light box. The more we stick to the run, the better play action will work. 

On D, we need to effect Burrow. With their depleted Online can we get consistent pressure with 4? Would love mix in Milano / Edmunds blitzes, Taron off the edge. Lots of simulated pressure. 

But I hate it when we blitz and half of our players drop into soft zones with eyes on the QB and never look at the recievers. I'd like to see more zone matching coverage than 3 guys covering empty blades of grass with no receivers within 20 yards of them...

And I really hope we see a lot of Elam matched up against either Chase or Higgins. Let Elam cover! 

You're right. The Bengals blitz at the same rate that the Bills do this year. Last week against the Ravens they played it differently because they didn't fear Huntley's arm. Against teams with a good QB, their nickel corner plays almost 100% of the snaps. Against Mahomes, they have taken to rushing three and dropping 8. Can't do that against Josh because he'll just run through the gap in the middle. We'll see what they do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I agree that Cincy will do what they do best, and so will we.

People make a lot of the idea of copying other teams' effective gameplans in the NFL, but it's not that simple. Each roster's strengths, weaknesses, personnel specifics, and coaching tendencies play a big part. It's not as easy as "just do what the Dolphins did!". Likewise, I don't see the Bills doing what the Ravens did against Cincy. We're each gonna "dance with what brung us" (yes I know "brung" is not a word).

Offensively, if the run is working, I hope they just keep running! Ever since the Bills became a pretty good rushing offense, I've seen a frustrating trend: The run will be working really well, they'll rip off two straight 6 yard+ runs....and then they'll just throw it five straight times. I get that you don't want to take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands too much. However, if an opposing defense is not showing that they can stop your run game, KEEP RUNNING!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Logic said:

I agree that Cincy will do what they do best, and so will we.

People make a lot of the idea of copying other teams' effective gameplans in the NFL, but it's not that simple. Each roster's strengths, weaknesses, personnel specifics, and coaching tendencies play a big part. It's not as easy as "just do what the Dolphins did!". Likewise, I don't see the Bills doing what the Ravens did against Cincy. We're each gonna "dance with what brung us" (yes I know "brung" is not a word).

Offensively, if the run is working, I hope they just keep running! Ever since the Bills became a pretty good rushing offense, I've seen a frustrating trend: The run will be working really well, they'll rip off two straight 6 yard+ runs....and then they'll just throw it five straight times. I get that you don't want to take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands too much. However, if an opposing defense is not showing that they can stop your run game, KEEP RUNNING!

Actually, against the Bengals, the Ravens play a lot of cover 2 and soft man. Joe Burrow was complaining about it after their first game in Baltimore this year. Here is the quote

They were taking away all of our deep shots. Even when they were playing man, they were playing pretty soft, high hip, I thought for the most part," Burrow said. "They did a good job of making us check it down and making us have these long 12 – 15 play drives.”

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Defense Coordinator Lou Anarumo will change up his defenses. He will make wht he feels are the right adjustments. He's probably one of the best in game adjusters in the game. The real question is their defense talented enough to cobtain the Bills O. 

This game is a very tough test for the Bills defense. The Bengals have a lot of weapons. The Bills secondary simply cannot match up with their pass catchers. We saw that already. Elam will likely aget tourched by Chase and Higgins. Be careful what you ask for. The key will be the Bills front vs the weakened injuried Bengals Oline. The Bills need to pressure, disrupt, and confuse Burrow. No easy task. If they don't Burrow will shred the Bills secondary. You can bet on that.  

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Defense Coordinator Lou Anarumo will change up his defenses. He will make wht he feels are the right adjustments. He's probably one of the best in game adjusters in the game. The real question is their defense talented enough to cobtain the Bills O. 

This game is a very tough test for the Bills defense. The Bengals have a lot of weapons. The Bills secondary simply cannot match up with their pass catchers. We saw that already. Elam will likely aget tourched by Chase and Higgins. Be careful what you ask for. The key will be the Bills front vs the weakened injuried Bengals Oline. The Bills need to pressure, disrupt, and confuse Burrow. No easy task. If they don't Burrow will shred the Bills secondary. You can bet on that.  

Are you betting on that? Another 3 dollars 😂

Elam held up pretty well against Hill and Waddle. I'm not suggesting we play man all game. I just see offenses having the most success against our D when they play zone without ever getting their eyes on the receiver running through their zone. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

To me what this game comes down to is what defensive lineman want to step up and consistently win one on one matchups against replacement level offensive linemen. They are down three starters. The drop off to those guys looks significant in a few cases especially. I do not want have to get so reliant on Milano and Edmunds blitzing to get pressure and let Chase and Higgins have their shots 1 on 1 downfield. 

There is a lot of money and draft capital invested in this DL even without Von. I see teams with much less impact games more consistently than this current group. Time to have their best game of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

It was clear PI through Beasley and should have been called as such. It wasn’t even close. 

That's what I thought also when first saw it, but maybe could have been considered one of those "bang-bang" type plays I assume.

6 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

They’ve been letting a lot of those close ones go in the playoffs and I’m fine with that. 

Yeah so far they have been letting them play, 

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Actually, against the Bengals, the Ravens play a lot of cover 2 and soft man. Joe Burrow was complaining about it after their first game in Baltimore this year. Here is the quote

Ravens can also get home with 4, Im not sure our D-line can do that consistently with their O-line banged up.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That's what I thought also when first saw it, but maybe could have been considered one of those "bang-bang" type plays I assume.

Yeah so far they have been letting them play, 

Unless you're Tre White. That PI call that extended the Fins sole long drive was weak, especially given all that they let go throughout the game. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1