We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

47 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Looks like there is a possibility of light snow.  Maybe 1/2 inch during the game.  

Yep looks like 32 degrees , 10mph winds , possibly light snow at some point. 

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, people keep saying it hit his chest, but the DBs hand was actually in front of his chest.  Though not ENTIRELY on Josh.  Beasley could have helped out by coming back to Josh.

Sometimes the other team actually makes a play. It happens .. the bounce was bad luck. 

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Now is the time for the Allen designed runs.  Would not mind seeing 5-7 of them, and also, hopefully Josh can find a way to pick up yards running on a scramble.  The Dolphins did a good job of shutting him down in this regard. 

They did, the Dolphins were very effective in getting pressure with their edge rushers causing Allen to step into the pocket and when he tried to take off the tackles did a great job collapsing the running lane for Josh.   That's a blue print to limit Josh's running ability, but in order to do that the  edge rushers have to be able to force Josh to step up in the pocket.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

They did, the Dolphins were very effective in getting pressure with their edge rushers causing Allen to step into the pocket and when he tried to take off the tackles did a great job collapsing the running lane for Josh.   That's a blue print to limit Josh's running ability, but in order to do that the  edge rushers have to be able to force Josh to step up in the pocket.

on designed runs Josh is still lethal but Miami did hold his scrambles well.

I can only remember 1 designed run from the Mia game that went for ~10 yards. I think we will see more against Cincy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

He absolutely could have and should have come back to the ball. It was a tight throw for sure, but I didnt see any clearly better options on the throw. But he should have worked back to Josh.

OK, first of all, if anyone wants to look at the Beasley INT, it's one of the highlights on NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/games/dolphins-at-bills-2022-post-1

If that doesn't take you there, click on "highlights" and scroll to "Jevon Holland secures Dolphins' second INT of first half via Kohou's deflection"

A few comments:

1) Beasley was 100% hindered from coming back to the ball before it got there.  Kohou had his arm wrapped around Beasley's waist from the R if you pause before the ball gets there.  But Beasley needs to try harder to come back, in order to "sell it".  On the other hand, we've had critique of other receivers for failing to make a catch while their arms are being held like that.  Beasley was supposed to be the "magic guy" who could haul those in infalliably.

2) As all too often, Something is Wrong with the route tree.  Look how close Brown is to Beasley in that play.  Either the play design sucks, or someone isn't running the correct route option

Capture1.JPG

3) Brown seems to be operating with his head in an upright locked position as far as reacting to the play?  Seems to me with the ball in the air going to Bease, he should be getting in a defender's way or something, I think that's allowed?

-------->4) Regarding that Bolded point, Diggs says "Hello!".  Knox (I think) just ran past him carrying Diggs defender with him.  It's 2nd and 10, Diggs gets 4-6 yds for sure if Josh fires it in there RIGHT THEN, and quite possibly more since he'll fight for it if he can't evade.  (Later in the play the defender catches up).. Yes, Diggs actually is as wide-open as he looks, and there is only one defender near him instead of 3.

Capture.JPG

This is, IMO, Yet Another Example of Josh trying by every means to throw for the first down, instead of taking the sure reception and trusting his guys to get some YAC.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I knew it was going to happen as soon as he motioned out there late.

Burrow saw one on one and all week the Bengals insiders said Burrow sees one on one, he doesn’t hesitate, he immediately throws deep. 

Just like Josh in that way. 

1 minute ago, jletha said:

on designed runs Josh is still lethal but Miami did hold his scrambles well.

I can only remember 1 designed run from the Mia game that went for ~10 yards. I think we will see more against Cincy.

the fake design Allen run that got handed to cook for the TD was a thing of absolute beauty 

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

Those were on the Daboll everyone go long, Josh's legs are his Checkdown plays against man coverage. Fins DTs played it masterfully and showed Allen room then collapsed on him as he tried to take it. Brilliant cat and mouse games by the DC there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I wonder if Cinci is going to stick with the 2 high shell after watching the sometimes success plays the Dolphins had with Cover-0 and Cover-1 blitzes? 

I think they will. Much like the Bills they're a base nickel D. Even against our jumbo package with Bobby Hart. 

I'd love to see us commit to a balanced rushing attack against their light box. The more we stick to the run, the better play action will work. 

On D, we need to effect Burrow. With their depleted Online can we get consistent pressure with 4? Would love mix in Milano / Edmunds blitzes, Taron off the edge. Lots of simulated pressure. 

But I hate it when we blitz and half of our players drop into soft zones with eyes on the QB and never look at the recievers. I'd like to see more zone matching coverage than 3 guys covering empty blades of grass with no receivers within 20 yards of them...

And I really hope we see a lot of Elam matched up against either Chase or Higgins. Let Elam cover! 

The Dolphins had a few moments with Cover 0 and 1 but overall Josh abused them.   If it wasn't for the drops, he would have had 400 yards and 4 - 5 TD's.  

Also, the Dolphins have better corners than the Cincinnati, I don't expect them to do that as well.  I suspect they'll rush 3-4 and 5 throughout most of the game and play the 2 high shell as you noted.

Josh should run the ball a good bit, 7 - 10 called runs.   Also, the fact that Josh was so effective pushing the ball down the field I think sets up the Bills really well on how teams will defend him, I do think they will attempt to guard the deeper stuff and I do believe that Josh will be passing the ball with more of the intermediate stuff.

In regards to getting pressure against Cincinnati, I don't see us rushing 4 and getting lots of pressure, I do think we will continue the recent trend of higher blitzes.

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Burrow saw one on one and all week the Bengals insiders said Burrow sees one on one, he doesn’t hesitate, he immediately throws deep. 

But that’s Burrow and he’s like , great and stuff and Josh isn’t. 

Just now, Magox said:

The Fish's Wilkins and Phillips are a tall order for any team, they were lining up against Spencer Brown, we weren't keeping Knox in to block and ran a lot of 11 personnel.

I feel a little better [not a lot] that Hendrickson usually lines up over Dion. 

Bengals outside corners can be exploited as long as Josh gets the ball out quickly and doesn't try to play hero ball. 

Running plays/screens have been known to slow down the pass rush, perhaps Dorsey might have read the memo this week after 7 sacks including a TD. 

This is a time when I wish we had a running back like Barkley and not our collection of smurfs. 

Not good when your QB is your best 3rd & 1 option.

2 hours ago, jletha said:

Ravens can also get home with 4, Im not sure our D-line can do that consistently with their O-line banged up.

I don't think we can, it is a liability.  I was hoping that Oliver, Phillips and the other interior guys could make up the slack but so far that hasn't been the case.

Hopefully they can get some pressure but I think in order to generate more pressure the Bills will have to continue with their increased blitzes that we have been seeing over the past few weeks.   The blitzes can't be vanilla or Burrow will slice them.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Just a gut feeling on my part - but I think the Bills we saw earlier this season are going to re-emerge this coming week.  I actually don't expect a close game.  Cincy's O-line issues will be the difference.

Sure hope so.  The Bills performance that beat the Titans would be nice.  Can we dial that up?!?   That's probably the most complete game of the season against a decent team (Tannehill was healthy then).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Just this replay, around the 39 sec you see Brown break the route towards the sideline. 

If John Brown would have ran straight ahead on that route, he would have ran past the DB, the ball would have been a little underthrown, Brown would have been in better position to slow down and time his jump for what would have been a contested catch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

As a fan, are you saying this becuase you dont want to get your hopes up?  

Because, when you dig deeper than the surface, you will see this isnt the Bills defense you are referring to?  Are you afraid of Joe Burrow?  Its ok, hes a good QB, but statistically you are wrong on a lot here?

what kind of answer are you looking for? i am not afraid of joe burrow. i am making a statement about what our defense is capable of and know a few things.

if we flood short zones we cut off under routes but burrow can pass the ball outside the hashes quite well. with his depth at this position he can run decoys with one of the 3 - boyd, higgins, chase - inside. and easily just jump the TE to the oustside flat or even run a seam.

if we do simply flood the under zones it leaves the top wide open. we aren't capable of running man coverage and we must stick with what we know. i would love to see hyde return, but he will not be able to... so.

marlowe plays the short box in pair with edmunds. milano plays instinctive read/react to burrow to check his coverage or blitz. we play zone of cover 3 with poyer covering deep third. with johnson able to play nickel he is going to cover their slot in seemingly man coverage.

short of that i can break down a cover 4 scheme, with a 3 man front, while not even playing nickel defense if you'd like...which is an alternative.

how far in depth would you like?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

If John Brown would have ran straight ahead on that route, he would have ran past the DB, the ball would have been a little underthrown, Brown would have been in better position to slow down and time his jump for what would have been a contested catch.

My same thought on that throw as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I mean did it look like a ticky tac call on Tre to you? Or you feel it was a legit PI?

6 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I mean did it look like a ticky tac call on Tre to you? Or you feel it was a legit PI?

From my recollection it felt like hand fighting, but I didn’t have a problem with the call. 

Tre has been grabby and doesn’t feel like his has his top gear back. 

The Bills put him in a bad position. 

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bye, Tanner.

These late season moves are head scratchers.  What could possible be achieved by replacing 3rd string players who know the playbook and have practiced with the team all season for some 3rd stringers who have not?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yea watching the replay reinforces the thought that this could have been a big play.  At worst the DB makes an awesome INT of a contested ball and the Dolphins take over at their own 3 yard line.  There are a lot of WR's that would have caught that ball and scored or been tackled inside the 5 yard line.  And I'm not banging on Brown here as he was in street clothes just 6 weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

These late season moves are head scratchers.  What could possible be achieved by replacing 3rd string players who know the playbook and have practiced with the team all season for some 3rd stringers who have not?

The chance those guys being let go actually get a call up to play in the game is not likely given the roster makeup of this team...so the fact they know the playbook is almost irrelevant I would think. 

Pros:

- get a week or more of extended look at a player in house for the future

- maybe they give you a better look on a practice squad spot of a player you are about to play

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wjag said:

Personally, I think it's more about next year than this year. 

I think it's Beane trying to get a jump on some other teams in signing guys to the practice squad that they'd like to take to camp.

I could be wrong. I don't know how all the reserve/future signings work, how they tie into the practice squad, etc.

But I can only surmise that it's about next year, because they certainly aren't counting on Cortez Broughton or Dezmon Paton to meaningfully contribute in these playoffs, even on special teams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

What did you think about that PI called on Tre?

You didn’t ask me but I’ll give my take-

I thought it was a play that the great CBs often get away with.  Peter’s (who isn’t great) was doing the same thing vs Cinci all game on Sunday.  

Was it a penalty? According to rules, yes.  Does it often go uncalled?  Oh yeah. The great corners push the limits on contact and know what they can and can’t get away with (within the limits).  They won’t always get away with it, but i feels Tre’s penalty was often overlooked. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

The chance those guys being let go actually get a call up to play in the game is not likely given the roster makeup of this team...so the fact they know the playbook is almost irrelevant I would think. 

Pros:

- get a week or more of extended look at a player in house for the future

- maybe they give you a better look on a practice squad spot of a player you are about to play

There may be something to this, actually.

Dezmon Patmon is 6'4, 220. Tee Higgins is 6'4, 218. So at least in his case, I could see it being a "scout team" thing to give looks to our DBs against a big bodied WR.

Cortez Broughton also appears to be a DT, not a WR, as the post above suggests. Maybe his addition is a sign that Jordan Phillips' injury is ongoing and they want another body at the position, just in case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

From my recollection it felt like hand fighting, but I didn’t have a problem with the call. 

Tre has been grabby and doesn’t feel like his has his top gear back. 

The Bills put him in a bad position. 

See that's similar to what I remember, but was more like a hand check that only lasted like maybe 1-2 seconds. I may a cloudy memory I guess, but I recall yelling at the t.v "A flag for Tre's hand touching his waist/side for a split second and a f*cking flag" lol

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

There may be something to this, actually.

Dezmon Patmon is 6'4, 220. Tee Higgins is 6'4, 218. So at least in his case, I could see it being a "scout team" thing to give looks to our DBs against a big bodied WR.

Cortez Broughton also appears to be a DT, not a WR, as the post above suggests. Maybe his addition is a sign that Jordan Phillips' injury is ongoing and they want another body at the position, just in case.

This is what I came in here to post. Patmon is being paid for a week to simulate Higgins in practice. Broughton is just a standard roster move. The Bills released him on Saturday and are bringing him back on Tuesday. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

See that's similar to what I remember, but was more like a hand check that only lasted like maybe 1-2 seconds. I may a cloudy memory I guess, but I recall yelling at the t.v "A flag for Tre's hand touching his waist/side for a split second and a f*cking flag" lol

It's funny because I saw it as Tre can't keep up. At all. It was 100% a flag and he got smoked and called for it. He then whined, embarrassed like he always does, felt no shame and continued to get burned again for the first Cincy TD. Average player making, or rather , Not making an average play. Again.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

It's funny because I saw it as Tre can't keep up. At all. It was 100% a flag and he got smoked and called for it. He then whined, embarrassed like he always does, felt no shame and continued to get burned again for the first Cincy TD. Average player making, or rather , Not making an average play. Again.

Yup, that's sole reason I was saying Tre's hand was on him for a split second because he ran by Tre so fast. 

3 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Hey Tanner. We know you've been here off and on and we are about to embark on a SB championship. How would you like to not be apart of that while we....idk replace your with a dude who knows nothing about our offense?  K. Have a great day

Cortez a big WR at 6-2 293 lbs lol but he did spend some time in KC PS in 2021 and 2022 as a DT.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Yup, that's sole reason I was saying Tre's hand was on him for a split second because he ran by Tre so fast. 

I sure hope Tre can play better this week. We will need him. But I truly think he ha snever been a great CB like a lot of people think here. He had one great season when our schedule was relatively light. He has done nothing since. I know he is average. I know we expect a lot from him. But man, he has been picked on for years. I hope we go CB in first 2 rounds and get a vet in here that can ball.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

The Cincy TD was not on Tre, it was 100% the perfect offensive play call for the alignment the Bills were in. The Bills were in zone and White had outside leverage with Hamlin inside deep and Neal, Edmunds, Milano underneath. Hamlin had to drop down to cover the slot receiver who ran a deep cross behind Neal and Edmunds. As soon as Hamlin committed, White had zero chance to cover the deep in route. I don't know if Hamlin made the right decision, the slot guy would've been wide open at the goal line if Hamlin kept his depth but it might've been a more difficult throw in between Edmunds and Milano. Perhaps Poyer should've rotated over sooner...

• Like (+1) 1