2022 NFL All-Pro Teams Announced

JGMcD2

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Better QB rating. Far fewer turnovers (fewer INTs, fewer fumbles). Better completion pct. Better YPA. These are key categories, particularly YPA. And one of the reasons his ypc was lower is because he had so many touchdowns (touchdown runs lower the yards you would have gained if the EZ line wasn't there). 

Anyway, as I mention in my thread below, Allen and Hurts were deemed by PFR to tie for the league lead in approximate value. He was entirely deserving. Allen was deserving too, but I have no issue with Hurts getting it given JA's propensity for red zone turnovers this season. It was a problem.  

And not just the red zone, but Allen had some of the worst INTs this season that I’ve ever seen from him. And I’ve watched every snap he’s taken dating back to when he replaced Peterman in the Baltimore game. Too many times he threw the ball directly to a defender, just some head scratching decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

the fumbles too-he's actually not that far off from everyone else in interceptions 

Think he leads the league in giveaways by a single player. I don't think Josh was an all-pro this year. He wasn't one of the best two Quarterbacks in football. He IS one of the best two Quarterbacks in football.... but you have to judge these things year by year on what they put on the field and while Josh still had incredible highs he had too many bonehead mistakes. 

Huge congrats to Matt Milano. Well deserved. And Stef is Stef. Shock to nobody. Surprised Tremaine didn't get more than 2 votes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Congrats to Milano, though I also thought Tremaine deserved more votes. At the same time I wouldn’t  have voted him over the guys that made it.

I think the results and how many Bills were represented is accurate. Didn’t have a lot of truly dominant players this year but as a team we have played well. 

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Better QB rating. Far fewer turnovers (fewer INTs, fewer fumbles). Better completion pct. Better YPA. These are key categories, particularly YPA. And one of the reasons his ypc was lower is because he had so many touchdowns (touchdown runs lower the yards you would have gained if the EZ line wasn't there). 

Anyway, as I mention in my thread below, Allen and Hurts were deemed by PFR to tie for the league lead in approximate value. He was entirely deserving. Allen was deserving too, but I have no issue with Hurts getting it given JA's propensity for red zone turnovers this season. It was a problem.  

Hurts had a great year, no doubt.  You can definitely make an argument for him based on the numbers.  I just think he really benefitted from having a very weak schedule and a much stronger supporting cast than Josh, but that's not Hurts' fault.    

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Congrats to Milano, though I also thought Tremaine deserved more votes. At the same time I wouldn’t  have voted him over the guys that made it.

I think the results and how many Bills were represented is accurate. Didn’t have a lot of truly dominant players this year but as a team we have played well. 

It's a fair point on Edmunds. Fred Warner was the lockiest of locks.... and Roquan Smith has transformed the Ravens defense.... so those two were probably a given. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think he leads the league in giveaways by a single player. I don't think Josh was an all-pro this year. He wasn't one of the best two Quarterbacks in football. He IS one of the best two Quarterbacks in football.... but you have to judge these things year by year on what they put on the field and while Josh still had incredible highs he had too many bonehead mistakes. 

Huge congrats to Matt Milano. Well deserved. And Stef is Stef. Shock to nobody. Surprised Tremaine didn't get more than 2 votes. 

This. Josh led the league in total turnovers (19) AND redzone int's w/5 - Two more in total than Cousins (next full time starter on the list) who played one more game. Josh also had 13 fumbles, 5 lost w/ 1 lost in the RZ. 

I'm ok with Hurts getting it over Allen. Still wouldn't trade Josh! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Congrats to Matt Milano, well deserved. 

EDIT: Also, it’s a bit concerning for a potential BUF vs PHI matchup that Philly has 4/5 OL who received multiple All Pro votes, either first or second team.

The fact that a less talented QB as Jaken Hurts versus Allen tells me that if we gave Josh an 4/5 all pro line then the Bills would easily be threatening the 72  Dolphins  only undefeated season each year Josh plays behind it.  OL upgrades will pay biggest return for the team. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I guess if you are down to YPA, AV, and a tiny advantage in completion % and the fact that his OC prefers him to run on short and goal to go.....Iyou can keep all that.

I'd give it to the guy who was the better passer, runner and scored more points and generated more Offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess if you are down to YPA, AV, and a tiny advantage in completion % and the fact that his OC prefers him to run on short and goal to go.....Iyou can keep all that.

I'd give it to the guy who was the better passer, runner and scored more points and generated more Offense. 

I'd take Allen over Hurts, no doubt. The ceiling is way higher. But Hurts did have a really terrific season this year. There were few more down on Hurts than me a year / year and a half ago. He really got better in a way I didn't think possible. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

The fact that a less talented QB as Jaken Hurts versus Allen tells me that if we gave Josh an 4/5 all pro line then the Bills would easily be threatening the 72  Dolphins  only undefeated season each year Josh plays behind it.  OL upgrades will pay biggest return for the team. 

Yes, I have no problem with Hurts All-Pro selection, because the results were there. I’m still not sold on Hurts being an elite QB a decade from now. Everything fell into place for Hurts to be successful this year. I know a lot disagree with my take on him, but I don’t think anyone would take Hurts over Allen. It’s fair to say that Allen isn’t going to impress the critics with his turnovers, but Bills fans should know better. Allen makes plays that no one on earth is capable of, and it really lessens the sting of the turnovers in my opinion. The turnovers would improve greatly if he had a better supporting case as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If Hurts doesn't run for 13 TDs, he doesn't get the AP.  

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd take Allen over Hurts, no doubt. The ceiling is way higher. But Hurts did have a really terrific season this year. There were few more down on Hurts than me a year / year and a half ago. He really got better in a way I didn't think possible. 

no question he got better--I did acknowledge this was a great year for him.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So there are 50 voters.  They are each allowed to vote for 2 players per position (1st team and 2nd team, I assume).  1st team tally for QB, RB, TE, LT, LG, RG, RT, C all equal 50.  Makes sense.

Yet for WR there were 150 1st place votes by 50 voters.   Edge rusher produced 100 1st place votes. Interior lineman got 100 1st place votes cast. LBs received 150 1st place votes, etc.

seems weird. how do 50 people give 50 1st place votes to Jefferson and 47 1st place votes to Hill, and then still have 43 more 1st place votes to doll out at WR for example.

The voting changed this year. As I understand it:

Think of it as 50 writers filling out 2 sets of depth charts. 1 x 1st team depth chart (Offense/ Defense/ ST) and 1 x second team depth chart (Offense/Defense/ST)

So each media person would choose 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 LT, 1 LG, 1 C, 1 RG, 1 RT etc etc to fill out their '1st place team'.

Then they fill out a second depth chart for their second place team

PS congrats to Matt Milano! Stud LB

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yes, I have no problem with Hurts All-Pro selection, because the results were there. I’m still not sold on Hurts being an elite QB a decade from now. Everything fell into place for Hurts to be successful this year. I know a lot disagree with my take on him, but I don’t think anyone would take Hurts over Allen. It’s fair to say that Allen isn’t going to impress the critics with his turnovers, but Bills fans should know better. Allen makes plays that no one on earth is capable of, and it really lessens the sting of the turnovers in my opinion. The turnovers would improve greatly if he had a better supporting case as well. 

Oh no doubt Jalen Hurts played well but then he wasn't behind a poor line.  If he got less protection how would his production be effected.  Would he be as clutch as Josh has been at times, possibly but I can be fairly sure that his ints and fumbles would rise as well and he'd not look as capable. Whereas Josh behind a wall untouched -- oh my that would be some major epic games.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

We don't talk about it but the Bills got sneaky lucky that he was banged up in 2020 and battling that hamstring.  Probably drove down his value a decent bit and he returned to form just after that year.

Yup funny how that works. The Bengals got a top 3 WR because Joe Burrow tore his ACL.

The Edmunds hate is a joke.  We saw what happened when he was out of the lineup.

Milano is 100% deserving, but both of our linebackers are elite and, when both are healthy, greater than the sum of their parts.  Almost like Poyer and Hyde.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Congrats to Matt Milano, well deserved. 

EDIT: Also, it’s a bit concerning for a potential BUF vs PHI matchup that Philly has 4/5 OL who received multiple All Pro votes, either first or second team.

The most important players on that line are Jason Kelce and Lane Johnson, and they make the others look better (i.e., good enough to get votes).  Johnson missed the last two games of the regular season and is going to try to play in the playoffs with a torn adductor.  We'll see how that goes.

This was interesting:

"y-Four voters picked ineligible players as second-team linebackers"

I'm guessing Judon got a couple of those.  Good on whoever organized this to knock him out of consideration.  All he does is rush the passer.

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They gave second team to Hurts who has nowhere near the stats Allen has…Josh got screwed 

Pass Yards: Allen 4283, Hurst 3701

Completion Rate : Allen 63.3%, Hurts 66.5%

Passing TDs: Allen 35, Hurts 22

Interceptions: Allen 14, Hurts 6

Rushing Yards: Allen 762, Hurts 760

Rushing TDs: Allen 8, Hurts 7

I am all in favour for some JA17 love but "nowhere near"? Hurts had a pretty damn good season

Edited by Gunvald's Husse

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Hurts was better than Allen in virtually every statistical category except total passing yards, total TDs, and yards per carry. He had a PHENOMENAL season and was deserving. 14-1 as a starter too. Allen had a great year too, of course. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HurtJa00.htm  

Hurts has the best OLIne in the league Josh has one of the worst. 

1 minute ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

I am all in favour for some JA17 love but "nowhere near"? 

Josh is better 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, balln said:

Does this help buf in terms of driving down edmunds contract: Milano got paid xyz. You’re getting less ? Can throw out any notion of roquan money 

I think Milano far more important than edmunds 

Many aren’t talking about this reality of an Edmunds contract in Buffalo. If he’s set to make substantially more than his all pro teammate, Milano would have to get a raise as well. If not, I’d expect a hold out, a disgruntled teammate, and no one here could vilify him for that. 

43 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

The voting changed this year. As I understand it:

Think of it as 50 writers filling out 2 sets of depth charts. 1 x 1st team depth chart (Offense/ Defense/ ST) and 1 x second team depth chart (Offense/Defense/ST)

So each media person would choose 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 LT, 1 LG, 1 C, 1 RG, 1 RT etc etc to fill out their '1st place team'.

Then they fill out a second depth chart for their second place team

PS congrats to Matt Milano! Stud LB

I got this from the AP site:

Voters will rank their top five picks for MVP and top three picks for other awards. They will also rank their choices for first and second team All-Pro – the best players at each position. This process will more seamlessly allow for AP to name second and third-place finishers.

I can't find where they are voting for more than 2 players at each position (giving their choices a 1st or 2nd team vote). 

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Many aren’t talking about this reality of an Edmunds contract in Buffalo. If he’s set to make substantially more than his all pro teammate, Milano would have to get a raise as well. If not, I’d expect a hold out, a disgruntled teammate, and no one here could vilify him for that. 

Right I think this only helps bills leverage edmunds down. UNLESS edmunds becomes the second coming in playoffs. Like 3 ints / tackles / run stuffs / pbr on kelce….

27 minutes ago, balln said:

Hurts also has arguably better wr than diggs - aj brown - dude comes down w everything / jump ball / contested catches 

also devonta. Bills don’t have anything like him or a WR2

Yeah, Derrick Henry got all the credit, and deservedly so, but no one seems to remember how AJ Brown made Tannehill look like a decent a QB in Tennessee. 

32 minutes ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

Not denying that for a moment, but let's have some realism here too, Hurts' numbers are a decent match for Josh's. they definitely are not "nowhere near" which is the statement I was responding to

I would say Josh’s are much better. 

This looks like a good thread to ask @GunnerBill - you have that theory that any SB winning team needs to have 3 (or 4?) difference makers, right?

So, before playoff starts, do we have them? :) If yes, who is the 3rd right now? Is it clear right now, or is it something which can change during playoffs?

Also, which other teams have 3 so they stand a chance to win SB?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I got this from the AP site:

Voters will rank their top five picks for MVP and top three picks for other awards. They will also rank their choices for first and second team All-Pro – the best players at each position. This process will more seamlessly allow for AP to name second and third-place finishers.

This essentially tells us how they’ll land on MVP voting then too? Not exactly, but close. 

Mahomes

Hurts

Allen/Burrow 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

Does this help buf in terms of driving down edmunds contract: Milano got paid xyz. You’re getting less ? Can throw out any notion of roquan money 

I think Milano far more important than edmunds 

No I don't think so. It only drives up Milano's contract.

3 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

I am all in favour for some JA17 love but "nowhere near"? Hurts had a pretty damn good season

Yes in just about every category Allen was better 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.