Annual “Black Monday” - (Insert NFL Coach’s Name) has been released - Thread

BuffaloBill

Prior to there being multiple threads clogging up the main board - here is the annual “Black Monday”, come early, thread featuring the NFL coaching carousel.  So far in the 2022 - 2023 season, the following coaches have been released:

Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers

Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts

Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos

As always - whether a specific coach or situation requires its own thread sits as a judgement call on the part of the original poster and the mods.  However, we will lean towards consolidation. 

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Making the playoffs probably saved Brandon Staley.  

Potentially, his teams have always been decimated by injuries and they win.. so kudos to him.

I think him getting canned is going to be more about Payton and less about him. 

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Potentially, his teams have always been decimated by injuries and they win.. so kudos to him.

I think him getting canned is going to be more about Payton and less about him. 

Don't discount some of his own mistakes (ie: vs the Raiders last year where he basically yanked the playoffs away from them).  They established a precedent by firing Shottenheimer after a 14-2 record, so he needs to produce IMO.

56 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

any chance Ron Rivera gets canned?

He should, but I'm not sure he will. How in the heck do you not know all of your own team's Playoff scenarios before you start Carson Wentz? For as much praise as they give him at times, he's been a crappy coach this year no doubt. 

Jerry Rosburg will not be retained. - Denver

Jeff Saturday will not be retained. - Indy

Steve Wilks will not be retained. - Carolina

If the Cowboys go 1 and done, McCarthy is out. - Dallas

Todd Bowles leading an underwhelming squad could be out. - TB

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

He should, but I'm not sure he will. How in the heck do you not know all of your own team's Playoff scenarios before you start Carson Wentz? For as much praise as they give him at times, he's been a crappy coach this year no doubt. 

Jerry Rosburg will not be retained. - Denver

Jeff Saturday will not be retained. - Indy

Steve Wilks will not be retained. - Carolina

If the Cowboys go 1 and done, McCarthy is out. - Dallas

Todd Bowles leading an underwhelming squad could be out. - TB

I think Wilks could be retained...or at least i could until I saw their dreadful excuse for a secondary against Mike Evans and Tm Brady last weekend,

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

any chance Ron Rivera gets canned?

I feel like he survives through 1st year of new ownership for "stability" purposes.

Would not be shocked at all if he doesn't though..and that was before his elimination remarks. 

Just now, Draconator said:

I can see Mark Davis backing up Carr and getting rid of McDaniels. Davis is weird.

I disagree. Davis is one of the "poorest" owners in the league. I doubt he eats another huge contract so quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

We have numerous ridiculous threads created on a daily basis, but cannot have separate threads for the 5 or 6 HC changes that will occur in the off-season?

Color me confused.  

Nobody said this was absolute - the point is if there are not unusual issues with a given coach’s release that would warrant a separate thread then post the thoughts here. 

50 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I think they'll give him a full year with their new QB. This time next year, who knows?

if you listen to the radio here in Cleveland, there is a lot of anti-Stefanski talk and not just the radio guys. A lot from the reporters that follow the team.  It's mainly concerning the defense and DC Joe Wood. However, it seems to have shifted more to Stefanski since the offense got worse when they switched to Watson.  If they lose to Pittsburgh and Kenny Pickett I have no doubt Stefanski is gone.  

32 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Agree. I'm surprised he wasn't fired a couple of weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Does that hat say iCock?  Is that a new Apple product?

No, it's iCon, Apple's motto. As in, "I con people into overpaying for a name when Samsung sells a better product at half the price."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

No, it's iCon, Apple's motto. As in, "I con people into overpaying for a name when Samsung sells a better product at half the price."

Of all the people on this site ... I never pegged YOU as a green bubbler.  #disappointed

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I never pegged YOU as a green bubbler. 

Never having heard the term before, I googled "Green Bubbler." Try it. 😉

I did find it in the right context, though. I'm fine with that label.

Just now, WhoTom said:

Never having heard the term before, I googled "Green Bubbler." Try it. 😉

I did find it in the right context, though. I'm fine with that label.

LOL.  I had no idea it was a bong!  That is hilarious.

My biggest problem with your type is that I've become imprisoned in group texts that Alcatraz and Shawshank would be easier to escape from.  All it takes is one of you ***** and it's like the goddamn Hotel California.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

LOL.  I had no idea it was a bong!  That is hilarious.

My biggest problem with your type is that I've become imprisoned in group texts that Alcatraz and Shawshank would be easier to escape from.  All it takes is one of you ***** and it's like the goddamn Hotel California.  

If it makes you feel any better, I hardly ever text, and when I do, it's rarely in lengthy group threads.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

We have numerous ridiculous threads created on a daily basis, but cannot have separate threads for the 5 or 6 HC changes that will occur in the off-season?

Color me confused.  

I totally agree - we have numerous ridiculous threads every day that should not be started and should not remain open.  Any order that can be applied to reduce that number, such as limiting head coach firings threads, is much appreciated.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.