Rumor: McDaniel could be fired if Fins lose to the Jets and miss playoffs

Greg S

8 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Im kind of torn on McDaniel.  X's and O's he seems like a savant.  However, his general demeanor seems like he will have trouble getting grown alpha-males who are physically at the top of our species to follow him and go to the mat for him.  He will get players to buy in when things are going well, but I can see things turning on him bad in tough times.  I also think he was boorish in dealing with the Tua injuries and players pick up on that.

IMO Payton is a bit overrated, although I would be frothing at the mouth for Ralph to open the checkbook for him if this were 2008.  Brady could probably make that offense work, but that machine is a Hill or Waddle injury away from being shut right down.  

…but Payton called an onside kick in the Super Bowl, so that made him a genius..

This would be foolish imo.

I don't think McDaniel is a homerun or anything, but he was brought in to revamp that offense along with your other acquisitions. He accomplished that.

2021: 17th in passing/ 30th in rushing/ 25th in yards per game/ 22nd in points per game

2022: 3rd in passing/ 26th in rushing/ 6th in yards per game/ 10th in points per game

Problem is the defense regressed, which we knew wasn't his strong suit anyway. 

Defense:

2021: 15th in yards per game/ 16th in points

2022: 20th in yards per game/ 27th in points

We also know Tua has potential, but he's far too injury-prone at this point to continue playing. There's really no way I'd ever feel comfortable putting him out on the field, as every new concussion has the risk of permanently ruining his life. Dolphins should be looking to sign a new QB & upgrade defensive coordinators.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This is a great organization. 

The owner was banned for attempting to tank

The Dolphins have no draft choices, no cap space, no quarterback 

And they give the head coach one year before threatening his job.

Gee, can I have a job...

This is why I have a hard time seeing Payton and Brady in Miami. Payton is under contract with the Saints, so he's going to cost draft capital, and Brady is no longer a kept man so he's going to want to get paid.

41 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

Silly article. Dolphins Owner Steve Ross stated on ESPN yesterday, that he "Loves" McDaniel, and i- "Is the best coach I've ever hired". So now he's going to look like a fool and fire him?.. C'mon.   

Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross, is a believable entity now?? 😎

Edited by Solomon Grundy

They would be absolutely stupid to fire McDaniel. He inherited Tua and turned chicken ***** into chicken salad as far as I’m concerned + he turned that offense into something viable. Beat the Bills and played them down to the wire at Buffalo the 2nd game. They are still in the playoff hunt and won a lot more games than I thought they would. Yes, Tua has been inconsistent, but I’m sure he would’ve won at least one of those games that Bridgewater dropped. With a top 10 QB their offense would be absolutely lethal. I thank God everyday they passed on Herbert (and Brees back in the day for Culpepper.) I don’t think they’ll ever compete consistently w/ us for the AFCE crown until they get someone decent under center, but they may steal it one of these years if Allen ever went down or if they build a beast running attack.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

"They out coached us" seems to have become a popular cliche over the last few years.  Most people saying it are just saying it because they have heard someone else saying it but dont actually know specifics to make it a valid statement.

If anything they outcoached themselves calling those passing plays on 3rd and short when they were running it nicely. It’s his first year though and maybe he’ll learn from it. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

(1) Fins Talk Sports Network on Twitter: "#BreakingNews per @ArmandoSalguero of @Outkick - Mike McDaniel, Chris Grier, and Josh Boyers jobs are at risk if the Miami Dolphins lose against the Jets and miss the Playoffs next Sunday 👀 #FinsUp https://t.co/MiOT1bHHmm" / Twitter

Wow firing another black coach so quickly. He'll be in trouble. 

6 hours ago, FLFan said:

I do not see how we can conclude he is a good coach based on the collapse of the team down the stretch and the gross incompetence displayed in the mismanagement of Tua’s head injuries.  That alone speaks to his immaturity and lack of leadership.  He could not out coach McDermott on his best day and did not in either game.  

this is a silly degree of hyperbole. I get that I'm not going to get far with that claim among Bills fans, but that's because I am discussing it with other Bills fans, not with people being objective 

The dude very clearly can design some wicked and advanced offensive schemes. Plenty of experts, far smarter than you and I, have dissected this all year. That doesn't mean he's a perfect coach right now. But he has an elite football mind, which is unteachable, and can hone the other stuff given time like anyone else can. Which is why I think we should be happy if they fire him, because the next guy they hire, barring Payton, is probably going to be worse at scheming and hardly better at anything else. 

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

"They out coached us" seems to have become a popular cliche over the last few years.  Most people saying it are just saying it because they have heard someone else saying it but dont actually know specifics to make it a valid statement.

They brought a gameplan into the snow that Buffalo coaches were not expecting and were slow to adjust to, and it took a ridiculously stupendous game from Allen to win by 3. The Bills and their coaches looked silly a lot of the game - both on defense, where fundamentals lapsed (tackling) and 3rd quarter adjustments (a way any neutral observer agrees is a reasonable way for fans to guess at coaching performance that day) obliterated us. This is something we could have all happily agreed upon when it happened. But in the context of this discussion, it's suddenly "just a cliche." 

Dorsey called a helluva first half and last two drives, but other than that, bad challenges, sloppy tackling, poor defensive scheme adjustments, and boneheaded penalties (team unfocused) dominated the game, and that is what any layman can call "coaching" without being ribbed as an unintelligent observer

We all agree that Allen saves this team's ass way too much in any other conversation or context, well that's what happened here too 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Can you explain why you think he outcoached our staff in the first meeting?

i wont go as far as saying we were outcoached but they are well coached as are the jets (and phins and jets front offices made solid offseason moves  1) Tyreek Hill 2) Jets had a really good 2022 draft...of course there are the misses...Zach Wilson and Brad Chubb overpay as far as picks and pay).

First Phish game - 3rd and short and dialed-up a centerfield bomb which was a gutsy, surprise call that worked and led to a subsequent TD - and umh,,,we lost...so what can we say...heat, we came close, etc, etc

second phish game - sticking with the run game Mostert ran wild...seconf-half caught Poyer on a blitz which left Tre 1:1 with Hill and Hill burned him for a TD.  Jets as well stuck with the run game and beat us in first matchup...there is a lot more speed for us to contend with than before and being an experienced but older team, speed isnt exactly our forte on both sides

Phins and Jets overall staffs are much improved and are closing the gap for sure...but we got the best qb

48 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

i wont go as far as saying we were outcoached but they are well coached as are the jets (and phins and jets front offices made solid offseason moves  1) Tyreek Hill 2) Jets had a really good 2022 draft...of course there are the misses...Zach Wilson and Brad Chubb overpay as far as picks and pay).

First Phish game - 3rd and short and dialed-up a centerfield bomb which was a gutsy, surprise call that worked and led to a subsequent TD - and umh,,,we lost...so what can we say...heat, we came close, etc, etc

second phish game - sticking with the run game Mostert ran wild...seconf-half caught Poyer on a blitz which left Tre 1:1 with Hill and Hill burned him for a TD.  Jets as well stuck with the run game and beat us in first matchup...there is a lot more speed for us to contend with than before and being an experienced but older team, speed isnt exactly our forte on both sides

Phins and Jets overall staffs are much improved and are closing the gap for sure...but we got the best qb

I agree. I think both teams are headed in the right direction under their current HCs and their staffs (minus Boyer).  

We definitely weren’t outcoached. 

9 hours ago, section122 said:

Would you mind elaborating on the outplayed the Bills? 

Allen threw for more yards and tds than tua and had a higher rating.

The Bills had more total yards and first downs.

TOP was separated by 14 seconds.

The Bills won 3 of the 4 quarter score wise.

While watching the game it always felt like the Dolphins were dictating, until the 4th, while the Bills were making the plays they needed to stay alive.  That’s of course a personal feeling - hard to get a definitive answer to this.

Just like the OSU - UGa game. The bucks probably deserved to win, but it wasn’t until the 4th quarter where I felt Georgia lost control of the game 

11 hours ago, Greg S said:

(1) Fins Talk Sports Network on Twitter: "#BreakingNews per @ArmandoSalguero of @Outkick - Mike McDaniel, Chris Grier, and Josh Boyers jobs are at risk if the Miami Dolphins lose against the Jets and miss the Playoffs next Sunday 👀 #FinsUp https://t.co/MiOT1bHHmm" / Twitter

Maybe do it to help Bele-CHEAT for he has no one who wants to destroy career with dead end job with their GM and HC.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I hope they fire McDaniel. He’s been good for Tua

McDaniels is only good for Tua if he was a set of power armor.  

Physically he cannot handle game and in Jim Kelly era he could not handle a season.

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They would be absolutely stupid to fire McDaniel. He inherited Tua and turned chicken ***** into chicken salad as far as I’m concerned + he turned that offense into something viable. Beat the Bills and played them down to the wire at Buffalo the 2nd game. They are still in the playoff hunt and won a lot more games than I thought they would. Yes, Tua has been inconsistent, but I’m sure he would’ve won at least one of those games that Bridgewater dropped. With a top 10 QB their offense would be absolutely lethal. I thank God everyday they passed on Herbert (and Brees back in the day for Culpepper.) I don’t think they’ll ever compete consistently w/ us for the AFCE crown until they get someone decent under center, but they may steal it one of these years if Allen ever went down or if they build a beast running attack.

If anything they outcoached themselves calling those passing plays on 3rd and short when they were running it nicely. It’s his first year though and maybe he’ll learn from it. 

Phish beat the Bills in one of the hottest games on record with 30 degree difference.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Physically he cannot handle game and in Jim Kelly era he could not handle a season.

Phish beat the Bills in one of the hottest games on record with 30 degree difference.

Yes , the defense was Fd up and it was hot as hell,  but the Bills still had no problem moving the ball. Allen and & co generated 500+ total yards of offense  while the Fins barely cracked 220. That’s good coaching when you’re getting annihilated offensively and still able to pull off a win. 

10 hours ago, Magox said:

What a ***** show if this report is true.

Yeah, they imploded but there were plenty of green chutes for them to hang on to continue with McDaniel.

If they fire him they deserve to be a dumpster fire.

The Miami Dolphins have demonstrably been a s#!% show since long before this report. 

They already deserve to be a dumpster fire. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

But even in the Josh Allen era he (Tua) cannot handle a season, physically. Nevermind back when QBs were sitting ducks and maybe played well into their early-to-mid 30s.

9 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This would be foolish imo.

I don't think McDaniel is a homerun or anything, but he was brought in to revamp that offense along with your other acquisitions. He accomplished that.

2021: 17th in passing/ 30th in rushing/ 25th in yards per game/ 22nd in points per game

2022: 3rd in passing/ 26th in rushing/ 6th in yards per game/ 10th in points per game

Problem is the defense regressed, which we knew wasn't his strong suit anyway. 

Defense:

2021: 15th in yards per game/ 16th in points

2022: 20th in yards per game/ 27th in points

We also know Tua has potential, but he's far too injury-prone at this point to continue playing. There's really no way I'd ever feel comfortable putting him out on the field, as every new concussion has the risk of permanently ruining his life. Dolphins should be looking to sign a new QB & upgrade defensive coordinators.

There is an argument (not saying I totally buy it, but hear me out) that they had a very good DC acting as HC and as such the offense was a mess and they replaced him with a very good OC acting as HC and as such the defense is a mess.

I think that is a bit harsh to both Flores and McDaniel but I think both were relatively inexperienced guys when hired and as such didn't have a clear developed view of what they wanted the "other" side of the ball to look like. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You're comparing Mike McDaniel( ) to John Harbaugh?

Yes & no.

Two different teams, two similar situations. Ratbirds have slumped at the end of the season 2 years in a row. Miami doing the same thing this season. Both teams with QB injuries, and bothe QBs have questions about their starting QB moving forward. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.