What if the Bills refuse to play the Patriots?

HOUSE

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Not a chance that would be a PR nightmare,  HUGE

McD and Taylor forced the leagues hand once already. I support the team in doing what they feel is right in this moment. Playing or not. 

Let the league fine the Bills if that’s the road they choose to go. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

The pandemic dramatically sped this process up, because we were all rightly concerned about the mental health of people who were socially isolated, jobless, dealing with home-bound kids, just dealing with having the world turned upside down, or whatever.   But I think this is being driven by social changes that were already in motion before the pandemic.  

I'm 50 so that makes me old, and when I say that these social changes are for the worse, people will understandably write that off as "old man yells at clouds."  On the other hand, I'm old enough to have experienced trauma and personal loss.  Everyone my age has done so.  Co-workers die, parents die, friends die, and the expectation has always been that you take a moment to grieve in your own way and then you move on.  This kind of psychological collapse was always reserved for the death of a child or spouse.  I can't wrap my mind around breaking down every time a colleague suffers a grievous injury.  At my age, I don't even have time for all that.  :) 

Good post. You in San Diego ? 

I am a RN who has been in my share of codes and have administered CPR many times.  As part of my job I have witnessed patients pass away.  Passing away that was expected, and sudden unexpected deaths.

I have had some trouble processing what I witnessed and I was not on the field watching a close personal friend go through what Damar did.  Receiving life saving medical action to bring him back. CPR, intubation and being shocked.

I wholeheartedly support the team in whatever decision they make.  They are grown men who will make a decision about playing this weekend based on the entirety of the teams input.  If they are not ready to play, that is their decision and no one has the right to say their collective decision is wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You're pretending like what happened wasn't an emergency, and that an emergency isn't still ongoing. 

The Bills very well may be ready to play this weekend. But they may not be, and if they aren't, why in the world would that mean the whole league needs to fold? 

Apparently Burrow just said there are some Bengals players that don't want to play this weekend after witnessing a man die on the field.

If both the Bills and Bengals told the league they can't play this weekend, because of an actual emergency that happened to just them, why would the whole league need to fold?

The rest of the games get played. AFC North goes to the Bengals and the rest of the seeding is decided by win percentage.

So what about all the players in the league that witnessed it on television? Should they also be allowed not to play?

Again, like it or not, other teams are fighting for the playoffs and are depending on the Bills to take the field and put forward their best effort. Whatever effort that may be.

Life isn’t always fair. Ask the ER doctors and nurses that see children rushed in and die in their care…and then give care to the next person, and come to work the next day.

The factory worker who sees his workmate crushed to death and is expected to come back to earn a paycheck.

The firefighter that sees people burned to death, and then handles the next call.

The police officer that has his buddy shot to death on duty…and handles the their next call.

The Washington Redskins who take take the field 5 days after their teammate is murdered.

The NASCAR drivers that hope in their car and race the week after one of their comrades die on the track the week before.

Life isn’t fair sometimes. Right now it isn’t easy for the Bills and players around this league. But they will lace them up Sunday and crack the pads. It’s what they signed up to do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The post title was what if the Bills refuse to play?

It was never about would the game actually be played

Somehow we got off topic 

New England gets a W.  

We forfeit and take an L. 

Probably lose some of the good will around the country.. not that anyone here should care, but I’m just being real about it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Our American culture is opposite of this though.  We rally when things get tough; always have, always will. 

And it still is because we can determine the difference between the real world and a game.

Listen, I’ve flown over the wreckage of airplanes in which friends of mine have died. I have watched people crash and die while I was behind them in sequence for landing. What did I do? Just kept on working because that’s what we do. Merica! 

The great thing about Merica! Is that we are tough, resilient but also compassionate and if a group of people don’t think that they can perform during an entertainment event I don’t feel that it’s in my right to denigrate  them for their choices.

Ultimately, I think this whole conversation is going to be proven moot because the bills are going to play on Sunday because they’re gonna do what they know and they’re gonna do what they love to get past a tough situation. Luckily for them they do, so all the tough Mericans! in this thread won’t have to call them kitty cats and further hurt their whittle feewings. Am I doing it right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

So what about all the players in the league that witnessed it on television? Should they also be allowed not to play?

Again, like it or not, other teams are fighting for the playoffs and are depending on the Bills to take the field and put forward their best effort. Whatever effort that may be.

Life isn’t always fair. Ask the ER doctors and nurses that see children rushed in and die in their care…and then give care to the next person, and come to work the next day.

The factory worker who sees his workmate crushed to death and is expected to come back to earn a paycheck.

The firefighter that sees people burned to death, and then handles the next call.

The police officer that has his buddy shot to death on duty…and handles the their next call.

The Washington Redskins who take take the field 5 days after their teammate is murdered.

The NASCAR drivers that hope in their car and race the week after one of their comrades die on the track the week before.

Life isn’t fair sometimes. Right now it isn’t easy for the Bills and players around this league. But they will lace them up Sunday and crack the pads. It’s what they signed up to do.

You're right, everyone is and should be forced immediately back to work in each those situations. If you say so it must be true. 

They probably should have been forced to keep playing Monday night too. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Dolphins are toast anyway, even if Teddy can play. Steelers still need to beat Browns as well. It sucks that the Bills’ decision on how to move forward impacts so many other teams.  I do think the Bills will go to any length to try and play, but honestly how much focus can they have if they do?

I got a call this afternoon from the Dolphins asking if I was available this weekend as backup QB. Don’t hate me, but it’s a huge payday for this guy. I got some stretching to do! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You're right, everyone is and should be forced immediately back to work in each those situations. If you say so it must be true. 

Monday absolutely should not have been played.  If anyone believes that, they need to take a step back. 

Bills should play Sunday.  Maybe it’s not pretty.  Maybe some sit out.   But they should play.   In my mind, as a competitor, I’m honoring Damar Hamlin by doing so. 

I get that others have different views, and there’s probably different views on each team (as Burrow even alluded to)… but this is their chosen profession.   It doesn’t mean they need to continue in this profession.  I wouldn’t judge anyone if they choose to step away from this profession. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Nobody is forced back. One had the option to quit. Or do the job you knew you signed up for that has substantial chance of seeing or suffering serious physical injury or worse.

1 hour ago, Success said:

It's not really fair or probably how we should be as a human race - but life & work go on, and they should definitely play the game on Sunday (imo).

As a human race, we never stop.  We always keep going forward.  Everyone suffers hardship and loss in their lives over time.  That is part of being a human being and living in the world.  When you pass, people maybe upset and care  that you are gone  and miss you.  But the world will keep going on and not miss a beat.   It was a freak thing that happened to Damar Hamlin.  Its upsetting sad and scary for all of us.  But football is a violent game.  The players all know that.  They can be upset.  But they still will need to focus on what they are paid quite well to do.  And that is to block out the distraction and be a baller for 3 plus hours this Sunday.  And keep doing that until they win the Super Bowl or are eliminated.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Oh bull####. 

The Bills played the Redskins right after Sean Taylor was murdered.

I’m sorry. The Bills probably will have a difficult time focusing but, like it or not, they have a job to do and a league depending on them to do it.

How many Bills or Redskins saw Taylor die?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

How many Bills or Redskins saw Taylor die?

Having your teammate murdered 5 days before isn’t significant enough in your world to sit the game out?

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I would back the Bills decision if Hamlin does not drastically improve.

Make sure you open this link before replying...

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2023/01/04/damar-hamlin-decision-bills-patriots-game-postponed/

I wouldn't back that at all. These are professionals and the least they would dedicate the game to #3. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

That matters? Having your teammate murdered 5 days before isn’t significant enough in your world to sit the game out?

If you’ve ever watched a loved one die - I have - it matters.  Apparently you have no such experience to be proclaiming anything “bull####”.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Nope, it is being discussed in the media, this is a real possibility 

To the chagrin of a few others I brought it up yesterday. If KC wins Saturday, why is it in our best interest to play this game? I don't feel bad for the other teams. Just like on field, if you leave things close enough that refs decide the game its your fault.  If giving us what amounts to a bye week to get right by forfeiting the game and taking the loss, why wouldn't we do that? Also, why does this seem so far fetched? To me, it's almost the logical outcome.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

When the team and organization collectively agree to do so. 

There is no timeline for, nor should there be.

We have to move forward. The playoffs are coming up. One game canceled is doable. 2 games becomes a major problem. We have to move forward 

6 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

If you’ve ever watched a loved one die - I have - it matters.  Apparently you have no such experience to be proclaiming anything “bull####”.

I think most of us have seen a loved one die.

I guess responding to the worst mass shooting death in New York State history and having comrades killed on the job, and answering the next call is having no such experience?

I think I’ll extract myself from this thread and let you guys have at it. 

Edited by Beast

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

As a human race, we never stop.  We always keep going forward.  Everyone suffers hardship and loss in their lives over time.  That is part of being a human being and living in the world.  When you pass, people maybe upset and care  that you are gone  and miss you.  But the world will keep going on and not miss a beat.   It was a freak thing that happened to Damar Hamlin.  Its upsetting sad and scary for all of us.  But football is a violent game.  The players all know that.  They can be upset.  But they still will need to focus on what they are paid quite well to do.  And that is to block out the distraction and be a baller for 3 plus hours this Sunday.  And keep doing that until they win the Super Bowl or are eliminated.  

What a great post. Agree 100%.

I've said that I can accept whatever happens from here on out, as others have. If this is too much for the team to overcome, how can I judge that?  

But I also think of what Buffalo has been through this year.  A very reasoned argument could be made that they have had a tougher year than any other American city.  And what a boost it could be for the city to have a team go on an inspired run right now.

So, I'll accept anything, with gratitude.  But I'm hoping more for the run.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

On the other hand, I'm old enough to have experienced trauma and personal loss.  Everyone my age has done so.  Co-workers die, parents die, friends die, and the expectation has always been that you take a moment to grieve in your own way and then you move on.  This kind of psychological collapse was always reserved for the death of a child or spouse.  I can't wrap my mind around breaking down every time a colleague suffers a grievous injury.

There's a really important distinction in what you're referring to and what actually happened, though. Hamlin wasn't in a serious car accident for example. He was almost killed playing the same sport that these players subject themselves to every week, on a seemingly innocuous  hit. What they witnessed is not just something that happened to a colleague, it is an extremly tangible experience for them. It would be more like your truck driver colleague is in a nearly fatal car accident because the brakes in his truck failed, and now you have to drive your truck provided by the same company a few days later. A little bit of extra time off would be understandable.

Chris Simms made a great point today, speaking as a former player - cardiac injury is not something that NFL players have internalized as a risk. Everyone knows about head and neck and spine injuries. Mentally and emotionally they've prepared themselves for that risk. This is a totally novel case where a hit these players make/take dozens of times a week almost killed a young man in a terrifying and public way. It's an entirely different avenue of risk that every NFL player is now mentally grappling with, especially the Bills and Bengals players that saw it firsthand. Sitting from the comfort of my living room I can think rationally that since this is the first time something like this has happened in the modern NFL era, there's no use dwelling on the risk of it happening again. But it's understandable if some of the players need a little extra time to make their peace with that.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I hope they play Sunday. I think they'll play.

But to those speaking of the dire consequences if they don't, maybe book a flight to the Ukraine.

Those people are facing consequences. This is entertainment. It's quite frankly inconsequential.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I think most of us have seen a loved one die.

I guess responding to the worst mass shooting death in New York State history and having comrades killed on the job, and answering the next call is having no such experience!?

Then why are you so heartless about how some men you don’t even know handle this situation?  

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

We are not settling on 3. Our goal in 1 and once we finish and beat the Bengals game and beat NE we will be 1. Potentially Sacrificing a Super Bowl is not the right statement.  

If you asked the team if they'd rather have a chance to play Cinci next week for a bye (while giving the whole rest of the AFC a bye in the process) my guess is it might come down 50/50 on whether they'd rather play for it or take the no-contest (or forfeit) and move on to the playoffs as the 2 or 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

We have to move forward. The playoffs are coming up. One game canceled is doable. 2 games becomes a major problem. We have to move forward 

That’s the question, isn’t it? Does the team move forward? If the team doesn’t move forward, how does it impact the season?  

Thats up to them to decide. If they choose to play, it is their decision.  If they choose to not play, it is their decision.  I don’t expect McDermott or Beane to force a single one of these guys to do play now, or later.

Looking at the players reactions while it happened spoke volumes to me.  This is something a number of them won’t “get over” in 6 days, weeks or maybe months. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There's a really important distinction in what you're referring to and what actually happened, though. Hamlin wasn't in a serious car accident for example. He was almost killed playing the same sport that these players subject themselves to every week, on a seemingly innocuous  hit. What they witnessed is not just something that happened to a colleague, it is an extremly tangible experience for them. It would be more like your truck driver colleague is in a nearly fatal car accident because the brakes in his truck failed, and now you have to drive your truck provided by the same company a few days later. A little bit of extra time off would be understandable.

Chris Simms made a great point today, speaking as a former player - cardiac injury is not something that NFL players have internalized as a risk. Everyone knows about head and neck and spine injuries. Mentally and emotionally they've prepared themselves for that risk. This is a totally novel case where a hit these players make/take dozens of times a week almost killed a young man in a terrifying and public way. It's an entirely different avenue of risk that every NFL player is now mentally grappling with, especially the Bills and Bengals players that saw it firsthand. Sitting from the comfort of my living room I can think rationally that since this is the first time something like this has happened in the modern NFL era, there's no use dwelling on the risk of it happening again. But it's understandable if some of the players need a little extra time to make their peace with that.

This is a fair point, and it weighs with me when it comes to how we handled the game on Monday.  I respect McDermott and Taylor.  If they felt like their players were not in a position to continue, fine. I will totally defer to their judgement.  I wasn't there and I didn't see what their players saw.  I get how players may have been in shock.  It's understandable. 

48 hours later, though, and we're into a situation that I and a whole bunch of other people have experience with.  (Edit: For full disclosure, so people don't get the wrong idea, my parents, wife, and kids are all just fine.  Admittedly my parents are old, but that beats the alternative.  My moments of "trauma" amount to two very bad car accidents in which I was a third party who had to stick around for a police report, two longtime colleagues who dropped dead a few years apart, a close friend of my daughter's who killed somebody in a DUI and went to prison, and my mom being in bicycle accident that landed her in the ICU with a brain injury for five days.  I'm not special and I expect that I would lose a trauma contest to lots of other posters.)

Edited by BillsFanSD

4 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

That’s the question, isn’t it? Does the team move forward? If the team doesn’t move forward, how does it impact the season?  

Thats up to them to decide. If they choose to play, it is their decision.  If they choose to not play, it is their decision.  I don’t expect McDermott or Beane to force a single one of these guys to do play now, or later.

Looking at the players reactions while it happened spoke volumes to me.  This is something a number of them won’t “get over” in 6 days, weeks or maybe months. 

I think they know they have no choice but to move forward. They know they have to. It will be hard this week but they have to do it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.