What if the Bills refuse to play the Patriots?

HOUSE

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

That’s the question, isn’t it? Does the team move forward? If the team doesn’t move forward, how does it impact the season?  

Thats up to them to decide. If they choose to play, it is their decision.  If they choose to not play, it is their decision.  I don’t expect McDermott or Beane to force a single one of these guys to do play now, or later.

Looking at the players reactions while it happened spoke volumes to me.  This is something a number of them won’t “get over” in 6 days, weeks or maybe months. 

Agree. These guys aren’t trained essential workers who have been prepared to see death on the job and need to resume their jobs for the health and safety of the public. They are entertainers.  Their jobs aren’t essential and football has been halted before due to innocuous actions like labor strikes. If they decide to not play, it really won’t affect anything of importance.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JLO said:

I get the severity of the situation but whatever happened to a team dedicating the rest of the season to a fallen comrade? There have been millions of tackles in the 103 year history of the NFL and this is the first time something like this has occurred. I'm sure alot of players would rather get back on the field and re-focus instead of crawling into fetal position and quitting. 

This is NOT the first time a player died on the field. Actually, Damar would have died had they not brought him back with treatment and modern technology.  Damar was no doubt saved by the AED.

Happened in 1971, Bears/Lions game... Lions player, Chuck Hughes, was taken off field on stretcher... They say he died later, but he probably died right there like Damar would have without modern emergency attention...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/widow-of-nfl-player-who-died-on-field-very-emotional-over-damar-hamlins-collapse/ar-AA15Y5Z6

"It was a similar scene to when Sharon's husband, who was a wide receiver for the Detroit Lions, collapsed on the field on Oct. 24, 1971 during a home game against the Chicago Bears. Chuck had suffered a fatal heart attack due to a blood clot that was dislodged after he was tackled. He is the only NFL player to ever die on the field."

"During the 1971 game, the Lions were down 28-23 and Chuck had just caught his first pass that season. He was tackled. Then, several plays later, with 62 seconds left, he fell to the ground while clutching his chest. After multiple attempts, the medical team could not resuscitate him. The stunned crowd watched as his body was wheeled off in a stretcher."

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

I think they know they have no choice but to move forward. They know they have to. It will be hard this week but they have to do it

Why is it that they have no choice?  The league has said they will support the Bills in their decision.

I think whatever they do will receive support from the other players and teams in the league.  Look at how shook Aaron Rodgers was if you saw his interview. How others spoke of the situation, coaches and players. 

I think this team is incredibly close, more so than any other in the league maybe. That is a big part in how devastated they are. 

31 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It was a freak thing that happened to Damar Hamlin.  Its upsetting sad and scary for all of us.  But football is a violent game.  The players all know that.  They can be upset.  But they still will need to focus on what they are paid quite well to do.  And that is to block out the distraction and be a baller for 3 plus hours this Sunday.  And keep doing that until they win the Super Bowl or are eliminated.  

Ok tough guy.  I would love to see you tell this to Trey White or Dane Jackson or Diggs and see how that goes. 

8 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Well if the media is talking about it then it must be a real thing.

It started when the league left the game in limbo. There has not been a decision yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Ok tough guy.  I would love to see you tell this to Trey White or Dane Jackson or Diggs and see how that goes. 

I'll bet they would all recite that post back to you.  You mentioned Dane Jackson.  He was nearly paralyzed earlier this season and he's back out there.

Edit: Also, Diggs took it upon himself to be the guy who gets his teammates back into game mode on Monday night.  I think you might have picked two of the worst possible examples to support the argument you're trying to make.

Edited by BillsFanSD

7 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Why is it that they have no choice?  The league has said they will support the Bills in their decision.

I think whatever they do will receive support from the other players and teams in the league.  Look at how shook Aaron Rodgers was if you saw his interview. How others spoke of the situation, coaches and players. 

I think this team is incredibly close, more so than any other in the league maybe. That is a big part in how devastated they are. 

My God, dude. At some point they have to move forward. All these people saying "just cancel the season, we don't need the Lombardi. I don't care" are insane. We all want Damar to improve and we all want the best for him and to see him make a full recovery, but they HAVE to move forward. That's just the way it is. Hamlin won't get better by having us not play. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'll bet they would all recite that post back to you.  You mentioned Dane Jackson.  He was nearly paralyzed earlier this season and he's back out there.

I’ll take that bet.  Just listen to Dion’s interview this morning talking about the fact they are “human beings” and people need to keep that in mind when they criticize their performances.

It’s one thing for a player to come out and say they must play this week and play until they blah, blah, blah, but it carries no weight when @Paup 1995MVP makes his little rant/pronouncement. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

My God, dude. At some point they have to move forward. All these people saying "just cancel the season, we don't need the Lombardi. I don't care" are insane. We all want Damar to improve and we all want the best for him and to see him make a full recovery, but they HAVE to move forward. That's just the way it is. Hamlin won't get better by having us not play. 

Why do they “have” to?  Don’t they have the right to do whatever they choose to do?  It’ll be ok if you don’t get to watch the Bills this week - really, you’ll be ok. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ll take that bet.  Just listen to Dion’s interview this morning talking about the fact they are “human beings” and people need to keep that in mind when they criticize their performances.

It’s one thing for a player to come out and say they must play this week and play until they blah, blah, blah, but it carries no weight when @Paup 1995MVP makes his little rant/pronouncement. 

Why do they “have” to?  Don’t they have the right to do whatever they choose to do?  It’ll be ok if you don’t get to watch the Bills this week - really, you’ll be ok. 

This isn't hard to figure out, we can't only play 15 games when the rest of the league plays 17 games. It's gonna cause problems with playoff seeding, are the Bills gonna refuse to play playoff games to? We have to move forward, plain and simple

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I understand the emotions.  I do.

My question is, why do they “have to move forward”?  Especially on others timelines?  Just asking.

I’ll be honest. If they decide to play, good for them. If not, I’ll support the team. Thing is in this league you need to be 100% your mind in the game.  If not, you are at risk for injury, and obviously at risk for losing the game. I’m not saying what they should do, just saying I would support these men in whatever decision they make.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

This isn't hard to figure out, we can't only play 15 games when the rest of the league plays 17 games. It's gonna cause problems with playoff seeding, are the Bills gonna refuse to play playoff games to? We have to move forward, plain and simple

Why can’t they?  What exactly is the driving force behind forcing them to play?  Other than “they have to”?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

I understand the emotions.  I do.

My question is, why do they “have to move forward”?  Especially on others timelines?  Just asking.

I’ll be honest. If they decide to play, good for them. If not, I’ll support the team. Thing is in this league you need to be 100% your mind in the game.  If not, you are at risk for injury, and obviously at risk for losing the game. I’m not saying what they should do, just saying I would support these men in whatever decision they make.

Let me say this in terms you can understand. They HAVE to move forward because we can't have 2 canceled games and only 15 games played when it comes to playoff seeding when the rest of the league, minus the Bills and Bengals has 17. It's going to cause major issues. If this happened with someone you worked with at your job that you were close with, eventually you have to continue going back to work, right? These guys know they have a job to do. We can't have 2 canceled games. They have to play. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Edit: Also, Diggs took it upon himself to be the guy who gets his teammates back into game mode on Monday night.  I think you might have picked two of the worst possible examples to support the argument you're trying to make.

It’s not so much that they won’t eventually move on, it’s anonymous posters telling them what they “need” to do and how soon they “need” to do it. It’s hilarious actually. Even if the player agreed with what you’re saying they would still make sure you know your opinion of what they need to do doesn’t matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

They HAVE to = Because you say so

It's their job. They have to play again. If this happened with someone you worked with that you were close to, you have to go back to work, right? You may not be up for it, or wanna do it, but bottom line is, you have to. This isn't hard

You people are all missing the point lol

Read earlier in the thread and you'll see me saying that the Bills are going to play the game and that the NFL can't tolerate the franchise not doing it.  But it's the players who have the actual power here even if the team gets punished.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's their job. They have to play again. If this happened with someone you worked with that you were close to, you have to go back to work, right? You may not be up for it, or wanna do it, but bottom line is, you have to. This isn't hard

Could I not quit my job and do something else?

No, you literally don't have to.  You can quit any job.  I repeat, I don't want that to happen.  I don't think it will.  But nobody HAS to do anything.

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Do you guys really believe the Bills players (at this time )care about the #1 seed.

I hate to break it to you, nope, they don't.

I think they do. Its secondary right now but I would bet none of them have said lets throw our goals out of window and give up. The priority is on supporting their brother, but will return to business. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the Bills will play.  If they chose not to, I wouldnt have a problem with it.  Who am I to judge or be mad at a team that pretty much just watched their brother die on the field and is currently fighting for his life in the hospital.  Thats a lot of trauma to witness and everyone reacts handles those emotions differently.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

No, you literally don't have to.  You can quit any job.  I repeat, I don't want that to happen.  I don't think it will.  But nobody HAS to do anything.

But the odds of someone quitting over that probably won't happen. And the Bills as a team can't just quit going to work. Maybe the whole nfl should just shut down. This is insane

Just now, WotAGuy said:

What exactly is “it”?   Your personal decision about how they need to handle their lives?  😂

Let me ask you in terms you might understand better, what happens to the league, if the Bills only play 15 games, the Bengals play 16 and the rest of the league plays 17? In literally a 2 week time frame this all has to be decided. How would they proceed with the playoffs?

I was listening to Booger on TV, and he was saying that if he was a current teammate, he would not suit up for an NFL football game again until there was 100% assurance that Damar was going to be fine. He said it’s too much emotion in a game and he would not be in the mindset to play now.

So if we assume even a fraction of the current Bills feel like this, they legitimately could decide not to play.  And Troy Vincent i believe indicated that McDermott was having a very difficult time too.

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let me ask you in terms you might understand better, what happens to the league, if the Bills only play 15 games, the Bengals play 16 and the rest of the league plays 17? In literally a 2 week time frame this all has to be decided. How would they proceed with the playoffs?

I’m sure the league has smart enough people to figure how to deal with that extremely unlikely scenario. The fact that you don’t like that happening or can’t fathom what would happen, if it did, doesn’t mean they can’t figure out a solution. 

14 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

It’s not so much that they won’t eventually move on, it’s anonymous posters telling them what they “need” to do and how soon they “need” to do it. It’s hilarious actually. Even if the player agreed with what you’re saying they would still make sure you know your opinion of what they need to do doesn’t matter. 

I doubt that too.  Professional football players are human beings, just like you and me.  Very adults would be wiling to say "I know you saw somebody on fire from a car accident, but my trauma is worse than yours."  Like, not a soul would say that.   

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Nope, it is being discussed in the media, this is a real possibility 

Think about what you just wrote …..how often does “discussed in the media” actually equate to “a real possibility”

lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.