Why don’t the Bills DB’s “chuck” receivers?

Einstein

This is not a complaint, just a question. Trying to learn if perhaps there is a good reason why we don’t.

It makes sense to me that if you chuck the opponents receivers, it can disrupt timing routes and timing offenses. It can make a QB hold onto the ball for an extra half second and that can be the difference between a sack and a completion.

But the most i’ve seen the Bills defense do is play press. I can’t recall seeing them get physical and chuck the WR. Is there a reason why?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is not a complaint, just a question. Trying to learn if perhaps there is a good reason why we don’t.

It makes sense to me that if you chuck the opponents receivers, it can disrupt timing routes and timing offenses. It can make a QB hold onto the ball for an extra half second and that can be the difference between a sack and a completion.

But the most i’ve seen the Bills defense do is play press. I can’t recall seeing them get physical and chuck the WR. Is there a reason why?

it is amazing how Jaire Alexander has suddenly come out of nowhere. This guy talks the best trash and is seriously legit. Where has he been these last 5 years in the NFL?

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it is amazing how Jaire Alexander has suddenly come out of nowhere. This guy talks the best trash and is seriously legit. Where has he been these last 5 years in the NFL?

Err... he has been one of the best corners in the game for 3 seasons. He had a middling first couple of years but he majorly broke out in 2020 and has been a stud since.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Err... he has been one of the best corners in the game for 3 seasons. He had a middling first couple of years but he majorly broke out in 2020 and has been a stud since.

I don’t think he has gotten the same type of publicity as the other elite CB’s. For the casual fan, the guys you always hear about are Ramsey, Diggs, Howard, Slay. Even guys like JC Jackson seem to have gotten more press over the last few years.

Maybe I have been living under a rock, though?! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think he has gotten the same type of publicity as the other elite CB’s. For the casual fan, the guys you always hear about are Ramsey, Diggs, Howard, Slay. Even guys like JC Jackson seem to have gotten more press over the last few years.

Maybe I have been living under a rock, though?! 

I think it might be you. Might also be that most of the air time on Green Bay is sucked by the attention seeking prima dona they have at Quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Never saw that before. Great vid. I noticed it was from 3 seasons ago - Have they done it this year at all?

They have done it less since Tre got hurt last year. Partly because they have been trying to protect their less experienced and talented corners. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Never saw that before. Great vid. I noticed it was from 3 seasons ago - Have they done it this year at all?

I know it was from the past but I actually had it saved lol 

we do try occasionally… the only problem is tre is coming back from injury … and getting his hands on guys at the LoS is still a work in progress 

It’s very hit or miss at the NFL level with that aggressiveness… if you don’t get successful hands you will get burned 

Dane doesn’t really have the ability… Elam does

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills don’t have physical CBs like that.  

Kaiir Elam played extremely physical at Florida.  

Maybe if we actually gave him playing time, he’d have the experience/trust for the staff to let him go out and do some of this stuff. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe if we actually gave him playing time, he’d have the experience/trust for the staff to let him go out and do some of this stuff. 

Why play our first round CB when we can continue to see Dane Jackson get cooked down after down? 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Primarily a Zone team 1. 

when in man I have seen our DBs try and get hands on at the line. Sometimes they do sometimes they don’t. Elam seems to be the best at it. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If you miss your cooked.

No then you roll your safeties. You Chuck and run. It’s called man coverage and we have 2 guys that are really good at it. It will also get Burrow sacked. Ask Von since it worked in last year’s SB. You can do this when you have a good nickel and tangy LBs that can play zone in the middle. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Why didn't we chuck Hill and Kelce during the 13 seconds debacle?

Because if they didn’t convert the chuck, they likely would’ve scored a TD.  Who

would you have chosen to chuck Tyreek?  And who would you have chosen to chuck Kelce?

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

the staff has seen enough, don't you think? he's likely getting burned in practice by the 1's.

38 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Kelce is a big strong dude. 

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think as Elam grows, you will see him do it on his side of the field cause that is his game.

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

You mean blatant tackle, up to and including yank party on a face mask... good question

46 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Dane for Tyreek and Edmunds for Kelce.

Hell to the no, and i havent been piling on dane like a lot of the board

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I do agree about Edmunds for Kelce.

Have Edmunds manhandle Kelce and then pass him off to a CB while Edmunds runs back to the middle of the field that he typically covers.

He’s got the physical attributes to be able to.  But you’re asking him to do something he doesn’t do very often, vs the TE that might have the best release package in history.  He swings and misses and it could be game- same for Dane.  

Levi made a terrible play considering the coverage play call.  That’s the main reason we lost.  We didn’t execute the play the way the coaches drew it up.  It’ll always be on McD and Frazier’s head, but Levi blew it.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

How quickly do you think he can run back there? 

I don’t know but he seems to recover pretty quickly even when he is fooled. 

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We didn’t execute the play the way the coaches drew it up. 

I’m not so sure about that.

Bills coverage was the same on both plays, indicating to me that it was how the coaches drew it up. Kelce told Mahomes in the huddle, if they play that coverage again, im running the seam. The Bills did and he did.

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know but he seems to recover pretty quickly even when he is fooled. 

I’m not so sure about that.

Bills coverage was the same on both plays, indicating to me that it was how the coaches drew it up. Kelce told Mahomes in the huddle, if they play that coverage again, im running the seam. The Bills did and he did.

It’s ok if you’re not sure.  It happened.  Ask Levi

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Levi has admitted he played his assignment incorrectly. Doesn't mean the call was the right one, but there was definitely an execution break down.

Yeah.  We’ll never know if it was the right one if the play was executed as planned.  The biggest debacle of the coaching breakdown was kicking the ball out of the end zone.  Forcing a return gives them one pass play,  it 2. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.