Week 17 Gameday Thread - Around the NFL

chongli

6 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Steelers are the bizarro Dolphins. They always seem to make the playoffs at the end of the season.

and I’m totally okay with that, because it pisses off Dolphins fans even more. 

Well I think we all assume we’ll beat the Patriots so Bills vs Bengals means well either be the 1 seed or the 3 seed. 

Looking like we’ll either have a bye or face the Ravens in the wildcard round. 

if somehow we end up in the two seed we’d have to beat the Bengals and lose to the Pats and if that happens we’ll prob get a rematch with the Pats or the Dolphins in the 2/7. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, billybob71 said:

been a crazy weekend of football, college and pro, strap in Bills fans tomorrow prob gonna be more of the same

It really was one of the better football weekends in recent memory.  Those college games were just what the Dr ordered.  So many of the nfl games have playoff implications with so much still undecided.  I hope tomorrow night ends for us in the same way it ended for the Steelers tonight.  With our Qb making an amazing play yo win the game.  As much as I love a blowout, winning in epic fashion = memories that last a lifetime.  The trade off is dying a couple days earlier than you would have if it were a blowout. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Mike Tomlin has to be the most under appreciated coach.

How he is .500 with the lack of talent is borderline remarkable 

Great coach, but he also has one of the highest paid defenses in the NFL....that side of the ball has been underachieving, albeit TJ injury is an excuse for the time he missed.

Offense always had talent, except that oline.  Just so many young players, needed time to gel and now they've found an identity to play close/solid football.  Matt Canada likely saved his job, but has been playing with fire and think they could do better.

This team reminds me of some of the Jets teams, guided by Mark Sanchez.  Less talent at corner, which makes this team less dominant defensively. 

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

How the hell did Ron Rivera not know they could be eliminated from playoff contention with a loss?

I mean with the money that's flown around, it's kind of shocking. 

Maybe the NFL really doesn't want Snyders team to make the playoffs... Lol

Is that true about Rivera?  That's embarrassing

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

100%, they were 2-6 at 1 point and can make it to the playoffs, I hear many Steelers fans are wanting him gone and I don’t get why.

They’re dumb, that’s why. Have you met Steelers fans?

Edited by SirAndrew

7 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

How the hell did Ron Rivera not know they could be eliminated from playoff contention with a loss?

I mean with the money that's flown around, it's kind of shocking. 

There's no real reason for him to pay attention to that stuff, and that knowledge wouldn't have changed anything regarding how he coached his team this week.

I think it's kind of admirable that he's focused on nothing but getting his guys ready to win on Sunday and the hell with everything else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Mike Tomlin has to be the most under appreciated coach.

How he is .500 with this lack of talent is borderline remarkable 

he is a super coach, and this could be his best year. To keep that team together and have them where they are is amazing. 

his coaching stats too just overall are like top-3 of all Coaches of all time stuff,

and he hasn’t even hit the age where Bellichick started having success. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Would like the Ravens to win as it keeps them in the division race and makes their game against Cincinnati more meaningful and potentially helpful to the Bills (if we should happen to lose to the Bengals tomorrow)

I want the Chargers in the five seed so we're guaranteed not to play them.  This result helps as all the Chargers have to do next week is beat the Broncos.

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

I thought both teams were getting away with egregious amounts of holding up front all night long.

Land Clark doesn’t know how to call

holds. He misses the obvious ones and any time someone gets pancaked on a block, he assumes it is a hold. There was one play where the Ravens center got called for a hold on a textbook block where the defender fell. 

recall this Land Clark hold call on Dawkins from the Jets loss— it was an awesome block and overturned a critical

play:

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

There's no real reason for him to pay attention to that stuff, and that knowledge wouldn't have changed anything regarding how he coached his team this week.

I think it's kind of admirable that he's focused on nothing but getting his guys ready to win on Sunday and the hell with everything else.

Sure but you need to know where you're at in the game.  I think that is a piece of knowledge that is important and should be known.  

I mean with the hours the spend, seems insane he doesn't know where he's at, he's the coach.  

I'd still think it was telling if a player said that, but also understandable. I think what you said would fit s player, but not the damn coach

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Sure but you need to know where you're at in the game.  I think that is a piece of knowledge that is important and should be known.  

I mean with the hours the spend, seems insane he doesn't know where he's at, he's the coach.  

I'd still think it was telling if a player said that, but also understandable. I think what you said would fit s player, but not the damn coach

Why is that an important piece of knowledge; exactly how would it have changed anything about how he did his job this week?

He's spending hours working with players and coaches, studying opponents, installing game plans, etc. not watching TV or dicking around with online media to check out potential playoff scenarios. His only job is to win on Sundays, whether he's 12-3 or 3-12. Nothing else matters.

Hell, maybe he even knows where they're at and is trying to make a point to his team about staying focused on what you can control and ignoring what you can't. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever the case, ragging on him for being focused on preparing his team to the exclusion of all else is ragging on him for doing his job.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

Why is that an important piece of knowledge; exactly how would it have changed anything about how he did his job this week?

He's spending hours working with players and coaches, studying opponents, installing game plans, etc. not watching TV or dicking around with online media to check out potential playoff scenarios. His only job is to win on Sundays, whether he's 12-3 or 3-12. Nothing else matters.

Hell, maybe he even knows where they're at and is trying to make a point to his team about staying focused on what you can control and ignoring what you can't. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever the case, ragging on him for being focused on preparing his team to the exclusion of all else is ragging on him for doing his job.

I never said he was "focused on preparing his team to to the exclusion of all else", it seems you are.  

I personally don't see much to lead me to believe that, and I think this statement is evidence of that.  

Knowing the stakes is the base line for everything else.  To not care about it is one thing, to have no clue what they are doesn't inspire confidence in their prep work coming in 

I also don't think he was sending a message, you need to watch the video. 

Edited by TBBills Fan

I never said he was "focused on preparing his team to to the exclusion of all else", it seems you are.  

I personally don't see much to lead me to believe that, and I think this statement is evidence of that.  

Knowing the stakes is the base line for everything else.  To not care about it is one thing, to have no clue what they are doesn't inspire confidence in their prep work coming in 

I also don't think he was sending a message, you need to watch the video. 

I'd be more ticked off as a Skins fan that he started Carson Wentz.

• Like (+1) 3

I would have been too.  Then he really sent a message afterward is just icing on the cake.  

It's kind of baffling to me. 

One can wonder if his heads in the game?

Watching it back there's a slight chance it could've been sarcasm.  He seemed ticked off at the reporter bringing the Packers scenario up.

For the first time in forever the Steelers are no longer a losing record team on the Bills schedule, and more so, minus the Bills game they have a winning record.

I don’t know, that’s cool, isn’t it?

Additionally, Detroit gets back on that list, too, as do the Patriots.

jets, not so much. 

Edit: of the 15 games the Bills have played only 2 of those teams have double digit losses (rams, bears).

Every other opponent has at least 7 wins.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon unpinned this topic
17 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

On the refs loving the Chiefs: true.

it's not just like the old Patriots where they commit penalties all over the field and never get called, the Chiefs also get calls against the other team that aren't actually committed.

The NFL treats the Chiefs like Lil Bessie treats Levon Helm.

Edited by Ralonzo

The last play of the KC game where Wilson took a brutal sack things to end all hope was a good summation of Wilson's awful season.  That guy fell off a cliff in ability. Brady and Brees temporarily heightened expectations of what QBs in their mid 30s can do, but it looks like Wilson isnt in the ballpark any more. 

36 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Brady and Brees temporarily heightened expectations of what QBs in their mid 30s can do, but it looks like Wilson isnt in the ballpark any more. 

And Rodgers and Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Roethlisberger and Rivers. Rodgers is a bit of an exception here as he's not the classic pocket passer. Wilson's decline (and I've watched way, way too much Broncos football this year) is mostly in his mobility/inability to escape tackles. When he has shown more aggressiveness in running, he's susceptible to the hard hits he seemed able to avoid when younger. So my thinking is more this: QBs who depend heavily on mobility/running for their success don't age well. (And yes, I'm fully aware of what the implies for our QB)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.