Win the Next 5 Games and We Have Our First Super Bowl

ToGoGo

This throws it into sharp relief just how hard it is to win the big one.  Let's assume the following win probabilities...

Bengals:  60%

Patriots: 85%

Divisional round opponent: 75%

Championship round opponent: 60%

SB opponent: 50%

Winning all five = 11.4%

Of course there's also the path where we lose one of the regular season games and have to win 4 straight playoff games, probably only one at home, yielding roughly the same chances.  So you add those together to get about a 20% chance.

And I'm really not pessimistic about this!  A bunch of the other playoff teams have like a 3-5% chance.  It's just hard.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s 11 in a row. I don’t like those odds.

Suppose if we beat Cincy… and KC loses to Denver…  then I don’t THINK the Pats game means anything. AFC clinched for us.  (Sorry if I’m mistaken here.)
Play backups most of the game. Win or lose.   Enjoy bye week to prep and get healthy. Win the next two games in Buffalo. Win Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Suppose if we beat Cincy… and KC loses to Denver…  then I don’t THINK the Pats game means anything. AFC clinched for us.  (Sorry if I’m mistaken here.)
Play backups most of the game. Win or lose.   Enjoy bye week to prep and get healthy. Win the next two games in Buffalo. Win Super Bowl.

This would be a fantastic scenario 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bengals are on a longer win streak.......they have won 7 straight.   Also 8 of 9.

Chiefs have been similarly hot since the loss to Buffalo they've only lost to Cinci.

Bills have had a more recent poor stretch of games/multiple losses than the other contenders for the #1 seed.

I don't believe "odds" matter much in this situation.........running off 11 straight wins in meaningful games at some point is not *that* unusual for a SB contender..............and Vegas still has Buffalo and Philly as the teams with the best chances to win the SB at 19%...........but even if odds mattered Buffalo is by no means "due" to lose to one of those teams that have been on longer hot streaks.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

This throws it into sharp relief just how hard it is to win the big one.  Let's assume the following win probabilities...

Bengals:  60%

Patriots: 85%

Divisional round opponent: 75%

Championship round opponent: 60%

SB opponent: 50%

Winning all five = 11.4%

Of course there's also the path where we lose one of the regular season games and have to win 4 straight playoff games, probably only one at home, yielding roughly the same chances.  So you add those together to get about a 20% chance.

And I'm really not pessimistic about this!  A bunch of the other playoff teams have like a 3-5% chance.  It's just hard.

whelp, so much for that then.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Definitely not what I was saying!  Just tough.

I know. it was tough 4 times in a row. too bad they didn't at least get one. imagine, 4 straight and no lombardi. so you know just getting there, is tough. one thing though, this team has shown a lot of toughness and resiliency. I'm thinking they have a better shot to win then the team that went 4 straight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

To the OP: our odds are dramatically different depending on the results of our next two games. Win, and there’s a very clear path. Lose and play 3 playoff games, likely 2 at Cincy and KC. 

Agree. But I'm technically correct. 5 straight and we're planning the parade. 

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not really how that works. It’s like offering someone the odds and payout of an 11 game win streak after they have already one the first 6. You’re getting great odds for a 5 game win streak and you should take it all the time. 

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Not really how that works. It’s like offering someone the odds and payout of an 11 game win streak after they have already one the first 6. You’re getting great odds for a 5 game win streak and you should take it all the time. 

It’ll be the longest win streak to end the season since the 2003 Patriots. 

• 2 weeks later...

This year’s success in the playoffs will in large part be determined by the performance of our secondary. White, Jackson, Elam and Benford will be responsible in coverage vs the Bengals big three and the Chiefs collection of talented and speedy wideouts. Throw in Hill and Waddle, who gave us fits last time, and we will be challenged. Johnson will be great, as usual but our safety opposite Poyer, Neal will have to come up big against the run as well as coverage.I know Josh will find a way no matter what , but our defense will have to step up against the best offenses in football.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

This year’s success in the playoffs will in large part be determined by the performance of our secondary. White, Jackson, Elam and Benford will be responsible in coverage vs the Bengals big three and the Chiefs collection of talented and speedy wideouts. Throw in Hill and Waddle, who gave us fits last time, and we will be challenged. Johnson will be great, as usual but our safety opposite Poyer, Neal will have to come up big against the run as well as coverage.I know Josh will find a way no matter what , but our defense will have to step up against the best offenses in football.

I agree...the DB's will have to step up bigtime with Von out. I think our pass rush will be ok but not as effective without VM....

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree...the DB's will have to step up bigtime with Von out. I think our pass rush will be ok but not as effective without VM....

What a big, frustrating loss VM is. Just when we’re poised to do something special. Now we have to outscore these high powered offenses. The problem is, both Mahomes and Burrow have been good against the blitz, so our edge guys have to provide pressure. They have been good this season, but this is money time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.