Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The national guard is apparently going to be going door to door. There’s gotta be a slightly better option than that right? The logistics of checking tens of thousands of doors is wild 

The Wehrmacht cleaned out Stalingrad (among many other cities) going door to door.

That city had a population over 400,000 in July 1942 when the Germans showed up; Stalin didn't want the civilians to be allowed to leave so the Soviet army would fight harder to defend the city.

Eventually, there was nothing left in a city of that size to BURN, and freezing to death became a big problem for the Germans come December/January 1943.

Sorry for the history segue...but I love it.

PS:  The US Army corps of engineers played a big role in digging Buffalo out of trouble back in the Blizzard of '77.

image008.jpg

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Wehrmacht cleaned out Stalingrad (among many other cities) going door to door.

That city had a population over 400,000 in July 1942 when the Germans showed up; Stalin didn't want the civilians to be allowed to leave so the Soviet army would fight harder to defend the city.

Eventually, there was nothing left in a city of that size to BURN, and freezing to death became a big problem for the Germans come December/January 1943.

Sorry for the history segue...but I love it.

PS:  The US Army corps of engineers played a big role in digging Buffalo out of trouble back in the Blizzard of '77.

image008.jpg

The battle of Stalingrad was what? A year? I don’t think the people in these houses have a week

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The national guard is apparently going to be going door to door. There’s gotta be a slightly better option than that right? The logistics of checking tens of thousands of doors is wild 

I read it's door-to-door for residents who lost power for extended times OR who called for help during the storm.

Which sounds more focused and sensible.

The National Guard, of which 611 members were sent to Western New York, went door-to-door in city and suburban neighborhoods Wednesday to check on residents who lost power for an extended period or called for help during the storm. Officials juggled snow removal plans with preparations for preventing flooding from a rapid warmup expected late this week.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I know there has been a few threads on this … but I really need to Get this off my chest on the main board 

I love you guys …. I love the bills fan base… from Buffalo NY to Tokyo Japan 

Since Friday , My city has been going through a lot of things… The worst winter storm in American history dropped On a city in a 40 hr period … Even the blizzard of 77 had like 50 straight days of snow and the wind blew it onto the city

We had 40 mile an hour sustained winds… Gusts over 75 miles an hour… For 40+ straight hours… And getting pelted with snow… Freezing temperatures

Hundreds of thousands of people lost power … People were stranded in cars… People who couldn’t survive in a car started to walk… Thousands of people who worked until 10 AM on Friday had the toughest decisions of their life to make

Do I risk my life to go home to my family… Or do I stay at work for three days… 

Buffalo gets a reputation for snow… We are hearty people and we handle a lot… This was nothing we have ever seen

I know a lot of homeless people on the east side… A lot of people who have nothing and no home

And I have no idea how they are

I know the storm is over… But we are going to have to deal with the aftermath

prayers 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 10

Thank you for this. I needed this sort of grounding of good people. 

I have family who moved to CA 20 years ago and basically haven’t been back since that have been casually mentioning over and over again how silly it is the Sabres have postponed a second game because the Bills made it in…or something stooopid. 

I have a doctor friend who was stuck in the hospital for 5 days. I had friends who lost power for days, so they eventually put up their camping tent in their kitchen and heated it with boiling pots of water for 3 days. My grandfather has been waiting to get released from the hospital for 3 days now but can’t because of the driving ban and lack of ambulances. 

This one hit me hard from afar. It’s good to see there are still some good people who understand the gravity of the city from afar.

Some people are the worst. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Thank you for this. I needed this sort of grounding of good people. 

I have family who moved to CA 20 years ago and basically haven’t been back since that have been casually mentioning over and over again how silly it is the Sabres have postponed a second game because the Bills made it in…or something stooopid. 

I have a doctor friend who was stuck in the hospital for 5 days. I had friends who lost power for days, so they eventually put up their camping tent in their kitchen and heated it with boiling pots of water for 3 days. My grandfather has been waiting to get released from the hospital for 3 days now but can’t because of the driving ban and lack of ambulances. 

This one hit me hard from afar. It’s good to see there are still some good people who understand the gravity of the city from afar.

Some people are the worst. 

My entire family roots for 110+ years are in the city… Besides Ellis island

I have never left

My family home which I still have is on the east side and I have another home  near the airport 

I love western New York and Buffalo … I’ve never been able to leave

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

“Hey guys”? Hey effin’ Guys?? 14000 posts and you still don’t know what’s an acceptable thread title? Didn’t and won’t read a single word thereafter.

S’matter witchoo boy?

Really man

• Like (+1) 1

• Buffalo716 changed the title to Hey guys (2022 Blizzard)

I just deleted a post that delved into certain uglier aspects of this crisis and its coverage, because frankly, eff that kind of focus. 

People have suffered greatly and even perished because of this natural disaster. And so many have persevered and pitched in to pull others out of peril. We should be focusing on the grit and sacrifice, but also on how the City of Buffalo's leadership needs to dramatically reorganize its priorities to mitigate such hardship in the future. 

And in the meantime, let's celebrate how the region (and to a less important extent, the Bills organization) continues to rally around each other during unprecedented obstacles. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

My goddaughter/niece's husband has been working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week doing plowing for NYS which means my niece has to handle all of the child care since driving ban has prevented the grandmothers from doing usual help with watching.   

Despite driving bans some employers are still wanting workers to come in to work.  I understand troubles that causes for I was considered essential earlier in my career and when Northern Virginia had a driving ban I asked company who pays for ticket if I am stopped and got no answer.  When I asked for letter to provide to police I was not given one since officially we were not working on government site; very stupid cover letter.  Due to driving ban no one could leave work with cots set up so people could sleep between shifts since many essential people could not get to work.

My brother has been delivering groceries to some elderly neighbors and relatives via snowmobile.  If you run out of groceries you are in trouble for very few places are open. Lookout for your neighbors.

My sister works on a food warehouse distributor and barely got home before this wave of snow came in leaving work at 9 AM after driving ban started and barely was able to go home.  Fortunately she bought a house near her employer.  She has medical appointments and this is kind of appointment she cannot miss but she may not be able to get there and if she can there is no guarantee doctor will be available.

Be careful shoveling snow.  You can hurt yourself. I tore scapula in each shoulder during one storm here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My sister in Bergen lost power and it was nasty conditions but they got nowhere near the snow. And Rochester even less.  I'm thankful they were spared and it wasn't worse

Buffalo in general as well as Our bills players have been through a LOT this season. Unprecedented really. Buffalo has experienced one heckuva 2022.

The Tops shooting,  snow snow and more snow....saving the very worst loss of life for last.....

excuse my french but ***** BYE 2022. I will be so glad to see you go. for real

/Vent

and yes I will be praying over WNY for all contingencies as will my church moving forward

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Death toll up to 37 😰

17 found outside

9 no heat in home

4 due to heart attack while shoveling snow

4 found in vehicle

3 due to delayed EMS (I expect this will be found to be higher)

It's really heartbreaking that to date, the stories that have been told about many of the "found outside" deaths are people who were safe inside with heat and power, and decided to walk for groceries or supplies and were found outside, frozen.  I imagine as things settle we'll find there are many more who would have died but were saved by generous people who opened their homes and helped warm them.

Others were people who had legit medical needs, like oxygen - but when I read their stories I kind of *facepalm* because, if you need oxygen and a "storm of the century" is approaching, wouldn't you ask your family to help you get filled oxygen tanks and a battery backup BEFORE the storm arrives, or as the family, wouldn't you move your loved one to stay with you before the storm hits so you can provide needed assistance?  It's like yes, during the storm, EMS couldn't help people, but some of the people could have helped themselves before the storm got there.

• Sad 1

I think being prepared and provisioned with medical supplies is clearly the best scenario . Why a person would not put that need as a priority is surprising. 

But if said person has noone to rely on and circumstances of all sorts can come up. It's just sad.

17 minutes ago, muppy said:

I think being prepared and provisioned with medical supplies is clearly the best scenario . Why a person would not put that need as a priority is surprising. 

But if said person has noone to rely on and circumstances of all sorts can come up. It's just sad.

Nobody to rely on to get them, no money to pay for them early (insurance doesn't just let you get stuff whenever you want it), etc etc etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's really heartbreaking that to date, the stories that have been told about many of the "found outside" deaths are people who were safe inside with heat and power, and decided to walk for groceries or supplies and were found outside, frozen.  I imagine as things settle we'll find there are many more who would have died but were saved by generous people who opened their homes and helped warm them.

There was one article I read that someone that got stuck in their car, had to decide either to stay put or seek shelter.  They left their car to seek shelter and passed by both a train station and police station that were open, only to be found dead on the street.  No one is sure where they were trying to get to. 

• Shocked 1

I was around for the blizzard of 77.  Although this one was tough, 77 was worse imho.  City was shut down for 2 weeks, and the burbs one week..   -20F temps and drifts so hard you could walk on them.   There were cars in the middle of Grover Cleveland golf course in May when the snow melted as the city dumped snow there  and had picked up some smaller cars unknowingly.  My employer sent me in to work one week after to see how many made it in....8 out of 400 about....that was a week later! I was instructed to shut it down again....which I did.  (go home, go home, it was easy)  20 ft drifts both north and south of the city.  (Furman Blve, Keck road)   Anyhow, I guess that timing does make it once in a generation. (or two)

55 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I was around for the blizzard of 77.  Although this one was tough, 77 was worse imho.  City was shut down for 2 weeks, and the burbs one week..   -20F temps and drifts so hard you could walk on them.   There were cars in the middle of Grover Cleveland golf course in May when the snow melted as the city dumped snow there  and had picked up some smaller cars unknowingly.  My employer sent me in to work one week after to see how many made it in....8 out of 400 about....that was a week later! I was instructed to shut it down again....which I did.  (go home, go home, it was easy)  20 ft drifts both north and south of the city.  (Furman Blve, Keck road)   Anyhow, I guess that timing does make it once in a generation. (or two)

This was way worse than 77. 

58 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

A lot of the reason 77 was so bad was due to almost complete unpreparedness for it. People did not have any idea until a few hours prior.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

There was one article I read that someone that got stuck in their car, had to decide either to stay put or seek shelter.  They left their car to seek shelter and passed by both a train station and police station that were open, only to be found dead on the street.  No one is sure where they were trying to get to. 

Confused and disoriented.  When hypothermia sets in, it ain't pretty.  Look at some of us posters here! 😉 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

A lot of the reason 77 was so bad was due to almost complete unpreparedness for it. People did not have any idea until a few hours prior.

Agree. And basically everyone drove rear wheel drive. Basically one whee, no limited slip,  traction control. Few with Fwd back then, even fewer with 4x4. Sure people put snows on... But simple inclines would get you stuck.

One gets stuck. They all do behind them.

IMO, we are much more invincible today.  The bigger the 4x4, the bigger you get stuck. 

AND... Just lack of winterizing a vehicle. Shovel, traction pads, sleeping bag, some non-perishable provisions, Carhartts, hat, work/warm gloves. Etc...

I eat my stored Snickers Bars in Spring, replenish in Fall. 😆 🤣 

You don't see skinny animals in the Arctic!

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I believe it snowed for 40 or 50 straight days before the blizzard of 77… The lake froze early and piled all the snow onto it

Then the winds came and blew all the snow off the lake into western New York… I believe only 10 inches fell that night of the storm… It was thousands of pounds of snow that had already fallen that did the damage 

For a 40 hr storm this was unparalleled … The blizzard of 77 had bad weather for weeks leading up

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This is true - went to class at Buff State, closed the pub and then realized we had an issue when I walked up Elmwood and our front entrance was snowed in.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe it snowed for 40 or 50 straight days before the blizzard of 77… The lake froze early and piled all the snow onto it

Then the winds came and blew all the snow off the lake into western New York… I believe only 10 inches fell that night of the storm… It was thousands of pounds of snow that had already fallen that did the damage 

For a 40 hr storm this was unparalleled … The blizzard of 77 had bad weather for weeks leading up

Here is a great description of what led up to the Blizzard of 77 that made it so bad. Additionally some things not mentioned in the article:

Buffalo was at record snow depth prior to the Blizzard starting which stood as the all time record until recently.

Buffalo had about half the plows out of commission and in need of repair due to it's relentless battle with the snow that year.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/remembering-the-blizzard-of-77/71-393850323

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Here is a great description of what led up to the Blizzard of 77 that made it so bad. Additionally some things not mentioned in the article:

Buffalo was at record snow depth prior to the Blizzard starting which stood as the all time record until recently.

Buffalo had about half the plows out of commission and in need of repair due to it's relentless battle with the snow that year.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/remembering-the-blizzard-of-77/71-393850323

Sounds right

Lived in Hartford, CT in the early 90s. Bunch of us Bills Backers were going to a Sabres-Whalers game on a Saturday afternoon. They said there was a storm coming  but being from Buffalo, we said no problem. Got to the arena and it started  snowing. It was  N'oreaster!

Since the Sabres were already in town, the rule was they had to hold the game.  Can't remember where our seats were, but only 1-2K people showed up and we sat  2 rows behind the Sabres bench. On the way home there was close to 6" on the interstate out  of town. Took me over 2 hours to drive the less than 10 miles to Bristol, CT (lived ¼ mile from ESPN). The two games we had postponed this week were because the other team couldn't get into town. 

On 12/29/2022 at 11:28 AM, Just Jack said:

In some of the conditions, they may not have been able to see the train or police station.  When it’s really a whiteout you can’t see more than a few feet ahead of you

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

In some of the conditions, they may not have been able to see the train or police station.  When it’s really a whiteout you can’t see more than a few feet ahead of you

Yup!

During the "Children's/Schoolhouse Blizzard of 1888" on the plains... Pretty smart thinking. The rescuers anchored a rope to the closest house and then went to the schoolhouse and anchored it there and then rescued the children.

"Near Zeona, South Dakota: The children at the local school were rescued. Two men tied a rope to the closest house and headed for the school. There, they tied off the other end of the rope, and led the children to safety."

Another 1888 story:

"Mira Valley, Nebraska: Minnie Freeman safely led thirteen children from her schoolhouse to her home, one and a half miles (2.4 km) away. The rumor she used a rope to keep the children together during the blinding storm is widely circulated, but one of the children claimed it was not true. All of her pupils survived. That year, "Song of the Great Blizzard: Thirteen Were Saved" or "Nebraska's Fearless Maid",was written and recorded in her honor by William Vincent and published by Lyon & Healy.

In 1967, a Venetian glass mural of The Schoolhouse Blizzard of 1888 by Jeanne Reynal was installed on the west wall of the north bay in the Nebraska State Capitol building in Lincoln, Nebraska, for the 1967 Centennial Celebration. The mural, in a semi-abstract style, portrays a purported incident in which a schoolteacher, Minnie Freeman, tied her children together with a clothesline and led them through the storm to safety."

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yep. I walked right past my house a couple times when walking in it. The wind was blowing in my face and snow getting in my eyes. You had to keep your head down and look up every so often. With goggles and face coverings it was disorienting 

Even walking with wind at our back. We would hear something that sounded like a large truck driving up to us but it was just a gust with a ridiculous amount of snow in it. If you got caught in them just right it's just black with flashes of white. 

Had 4 feet the other day on my front lawn. Now all grass 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.