Thoughts On the New 2022 Pro Bowl .

T master

So i know over the years things have changed immensely when it comes to the Pro Bowl . Didn't the Pro Bowl at 1 time decide which division would host the Super Bowl  in a coming year which gave more incentive to win for the AFC vs NFC ?

I remember the year Zo hit a guy pretty hard on the side line the guy got up & asked Zo why'd you hit me so hard it's the pro bowl Zo's reply was because it's football - LMAO !!! 

Am i hereing right this year they are going to go to a flag football game ? Which that is basically what it has been for the last few years now they just show up & no one really tries to stop the other from scoring no hitting per say so i guess seeing as flag football has made a come back why not ?

I can understand because of how much these players make & the fact that the teams want less of a chance for them to be injured but do you think more people will watch a professional flag football game than were watching it in it's recent form ? Will they still wear their team helmets ? 

Do you remember any good players getting hurt bad in past pro bowls to where they had to sit out the up coming season say because they hurt a ACL or something while playing in the pro bowl ? I my self can't remember ever seeing a bad injury in the pro bowl .

I have seen where Payton & Eli Manning will be coaching each team so that could be some interesting side line talk because they should have them mic'd up . So what are some of your thoughts on this & any insight that you may have heard on the lay out of the game .

Do you think the players will be more apt to want to play or will there still be a bunch like Josh that just decline the invitation ? 

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Will Josh even make it? Tua and Mahomes were leading the voting last I checked and Burrow probably up there too now 

Either way, Josh won't be there because he'll be preparing for a SB victory!

Could care less anyway. Mac Jones made it last year🤣

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I know baseball tried to do something with the all-star game where the winning league would be the home team for the World Series, but I don't recall anything where the pro bowl winner determined where a Super Bowl would be played. Those sites are determined years in advance.

While not technically in the Pro Bowl game, there a very promising Patriots rookie RB, Robert Edwards, who badly damaged his knee in a rookie flag football game on sand during Pro Bowl week in the late 90s and never played again. Damaged to the point where he almost lost his leg below the knee.

Edited by DD4Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

I haven't even THOUGHT about the Pro Bowl, let alone watch it, in more than 20 years.

Here's what they (and all leagues) should do: name players to the 2 rosters as an honor for those who make it, and then forget about actually playing the game.

It's a leftover artifact of a bygone era and is just out of place in the modern sports landscape.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

For decades, I haven't even bothered to tune into whatever channel the Pro Bowl is on.

If the Manning Bros., are involved, my interest level has been upgraded to - "If I have nothing else to do, and nothing better is on TV, I might put it on as background noise and occasionally watch."

2 hours ago, T master said:

So i know over the years things have changed immensely when it comes to the Pro Bowl . Didn't the Pro Bowl at 1 time decide which division would host the Super Bowl  in a coming year which gave more incentive to win for the AFC vs NFC ?

No, never.  The Super Bowl has always been a neutral site game and host site has only ever been decided based on economic reasons.  There have never been any on-field stakes associated with the Pro Bowl.  You might be thinking of baseball, where (for a few years about 15 years ago), the All-Star game decided which league would have homefield in the World Series.

when I was a naive kid the pro bowl meant something, in awe of the greats of the game no matter what they did and could not get enough football...

as adults we all know better, and we dont want to see anyone hurt, like Wally Chambers (Bears) see below...and the only purpose it served was as a funeral to the season that just passed.

Now we have the cap, free agency, the draft (and all the mocks that go along with it) to carry us thru until late July...

(extract from Chicago Tribune - Ranking the best Bearsplayers ever)

Chambers’ third trip to the Pro Bowl derailed his career and is part of the reason modern versions of the game feature linemen playing patty-cake. Chambers banged his right knee in the January 1977 game, leading to “traumatic arthritis” and the decomposing of the cartilage underneath his kneecap.

He had been able to battle through injuries before, including shoulder and back ailments, but this was different. Chambers never was the same. He missed all but four games in 1977, was traded to the Buccaneers in ’78 and was out of the league after the ’79 season at 28.

There are people really against the pro bowl. I'm not sure why anyone cares that much. I don't really watch it unless there are some Bills players I want to see. It was fun seeing the Diggs brothers go at it.

The skills challenges the week of the pro bowl are fun to watch.

Mostly it is just a vacation for the players. If you don't want to watch, don't watch. There's no reason to be lobbying for it to be canceled, though.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

For decades, I haven't even bothered to tune into whatever channel the Pro Bowl is on.

If the Manning Bros., are involved, my interest level has been upgraded to - "If I have nothing else to do, and nothing better is on TV, I might put it on as background noise and occasionally watch."

I usually watch it because I have no life.  Watching it, it just further reminds me I have no life if im watching this garbage every year. Its just awful

• Haha (+1) 1

Honestly, I miss the Hawaii days . Not that the Pro Bowl was ever a good football game. But it felt like they hit a good stride in the 90's and early 2000's with the skills competitions for the week. Those were always a fun, fastest man, passing, catching, etc. It was fun. Guys were loose. It was entertaining. I almost never watched the game, but I watched a lot of those competitions. 

Edited by Mango

The game was never important.  It was all about getting the honor of being selected.

The NFL ruined that too, when they allowed the fans to make the selections and it became an uneducated popularity contest.

The Bills are the #1 seed and currently have NO PLAYERS in the Top 5 at ANY POSITION.

Not Josh Allen.  Not Stefon Diggs.  Not Jordan Poyer.  Not Von Miller.  In fact, if you go on the NFL.com app, you can no longer even vote for Miller (since he got injured) since they only put the current starters on the list.

The NFL also give an unfair advantage to certain players, depending on preferred statistics.  For instance, running backs are placed in order by total rushing yards.  This hurts backs who have a large share of receiving yards or more touchdowns.

Haven't watched the pro bowl in eons.  Just not interested.  If they just announced two pro bowl squads to honor the individual players and cancelled the game that would be completely fine with me.

On a closely-related note, I quit caring who did and didn't make the pro bowl quite a few years ago too.  Too much of it is popularity and name recognition.  I'd rather that my team win one more game and have every eligible player snubbed than see our guys on the PB roster and lose an additional game.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, MJS said:

There are people really against the pro bowl. I'm not sure why anyone cares that much. I don't really watch it unless there are some Bills players I want to see. It was fun seeing the Diggs brothers go at it.

The skills challenges the week of the pro bowl are fun to watch.

Mostly it is just a vacation for the players. If you don't want to watch, don't watch. There's no reason to be lobbying for it to be canceled, though.

The day a Bills player goes down with an ACL I bet you’ll be pretty upset they play this meaningless game.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Either way, Josh won't be there because he'll be preparing for a SB victory!

Could care less anyway. Mac Jones made it last year🤣

Maybe he was voted to Probowl due to contract incentive and someone wanted Beli-CHEAT to be one with hot foot this time.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The game was never important.  It was all about getting the honor of being selected.

The NFL ruined that too, when they allowed the fans to make the selections and it became an uneducated popularity contest.

The bots I use for voting are VERY educated,  The AI I developed nicknamed "hanging chad" has been stuffing ballots for Tua since before ballot box opened.

7 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

I know baseball tried to do something with the all-star game where the winning league would be the home team for the World Series, but I don't recall anything where the pro bowl winner determined where a Super Bowl would be played. Those sites are determined years in advance.

While not technically in the Pro Bowl game, there a very promising Patriots rookie RB, Robert Edwards, who badly damaged his knee in a rookie flag football game on sand during Pro Bowl week in the late 90s and never played again. Damaged to the point where he almost lost his leg below the knee.

Yes!  I was trying to think who was the NFL player that tore up his knee in a flag football game and ruined his career.  I was then going to post that very fact.  You did it for me.  Thank you!

The only value I can think of for the Pro Bowl at this point is that it's an excuse to gather and have fun.  I have friends who are big NFL fans and were in Vegas for the Pro Bowl.  They had a great time being about town Pro Bowl weekend, they met Bruce Smith and Andre Reed (separately), and they sent me a bunch of photos.  They aren't even Bills fans, but like and respect those guys and wanted to get some photos to send back to me, who they know is a huge Bills fan.  They partied for a couple of days, attended some Pro Bowl-related events and had an overall good time.  I'm honestly not sure if they even attended the game itself, or if there even was a game....Maybe just punt, pass, and run (or it run, pass, and kick?) event - like what they used to do for kids or like what the NHL calls a "skills competition."

Edited by msw2112

7 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Liked this not because of the outcome, but because you remembered it. What happened to Edwards was awful - even though it could have been much worse.

WRT the Pro Bowl - I'm torn between anything they do has to be better than the the fake game and I probably won't watch anyway.

I hate all of it. The Pro Bowl is a joke on the game of football.  It's all marketing and hype and posturing for big contracts, which is what ruined the game to begin with. While I respect and admire the physical gifting of these athletes, the way the pro bowl game is played makes it unwatchable. It's only appropriate they'd go to a flag game.  I haven't watched in 15+ years and won't start now. 

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.