Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

32 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

“Without condoning the things he said, I’m going to condone the things he said…” 

what a circus

Sullivan is a hack. I met him once at the airport on the way back from Tampa after an EJ Manuel debacle and he was a dick.

With that being said, putting opinions on Warrow aside, I kind of agree with Beck in that it's just someone sticking up for their pal and point out the "good" after they said something dumb on a podcast. Let's not make it more than it is.

And he clearly didn't condone it in that post but rather just reminding people not to throw out the misanthrope with the bathwater. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

people being fired for making stupid comments is not solely  a current development. Does anyone remember "Jimmy the Greek"? He was canned from his job in 1988 for racist comments. It is not a new concept just sayin'

I can’t believe people are blaming “cancel culture” or saying “you shouldn’t get fired for having an opinion”.

like WTF is wrong with us here? If I went on a podcast and said “well you know I don’t think black people and women can handle tech culture, they’re just raised that way”, and my employer found out about it, what are the odds I’d be able to retain my job?

Let’s list some things here that are absolute truth 

A) everyone is entitled to an opinion 

B) an opinion can be bigoted

C) bigotry is bad

D) there is no civil right that says you can not be fired for being a bigot 

E) we are capitalistic. Literally every private business relies on selling a service or good to a human being

F) the vast majority of human beings, agree that bigotry is bad

G) employing people who are widely known to have bigoted opinions will reduce the people who are willing to purchase your product. Reference F for why

H) Facing consequences for airing your bigoted opinions to the world is not “canceling” someone. No one in stopping Sullivan from to continuing to air bigoted opinions  

I) I have never gotten to “I” in a list

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, appoo said:

I can’t believe people are blaming “cancel culture” or saying “you shouldn’t get fired for having an opinion”.

like WTF is wrong with us here? If I went on a podcast and said “well you know I don’t think black people and women can handle tech culture, they’re just raised that way”, and my employer found out about it, what are the odds I’d be able to retain my job?

C) bigotry is bad

E) we are capitalistic. Literally every private business relies on selling a service or good to a human being

G) employing people who are widely known to have bigoted opinions will reduce the people who are willing to purchase your product. Reference F for why

H) Facing consequences for airing your bigoted opinions to the world is not “canceling” someone. No one in stopping Sullivan from to continuing to air bigoted questions 

Good list.  Only problem is with F, is that there is not anything close to universal agreement on what compromises bigotry. So we all agree its bad, we just don't tend to agree on what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

C) bigotry is bad

H) Facing consequences for airing your bigoted opinions to the world is not “canceling” someone. No one in stopping Sullivan from to continuing to air bigoted questions 

I'm disappointed in you.

You missed a perfect opportunity for follow:

I) I have never gotten to "I" in al list

With:

J)"j"k

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Good list.  Only problem is with F, is that there is not anything close to universal agreement on what compromises bigotry. So we all agree its bad, we just don't tend to agree on what it is. 

Honestly I’ve always found it fairly straightforward. If you publicly act on a stereotype of an entire people, one that culture itself doesn’t embrace, it’s bigotry.

Note the exceptions in that definition :

You can think whatever the heck you want, hell you can even joke around with your friends in private 

That group of people themselves have to say “this is bad”. That separates “Germans like to be punctual” with “Women suck at Math”. 

I mean it’s not even that hard to not air stereotypes in public forums. I’ve managed to do it for 43 years now, though of course I could only communicate in like 38 of them 

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

There is a true-ism I’ve discovered about people who express their politics in a certain fashion, a belief that underlies their entire political outlook.  It goes as follows 

“I can tell you what to do. You can’t tell me what to do” 

That’s at play here

How about we leave the generalization out of this along with the politics aspect of it and stay on point.

Not disagreeing, just would prefer this doesn't devolve into a PPP thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Honestly I’ve always found it fairly straightforward. If you publicly act on a stereotype of an entire people, one that culture itself doesn’t embrace, it’s bigotry.

Note the exceptions in that definition :

You can think whatever the heck you want, hell you can even joke around with your friends in private 

That group of people themselves have to say “this is bad”. That separates “Germans like to be punctual” with “Women suck at Math”. 

I mean it’s not even that hard to not air stereotypes in public forums. I’ve managed to do it for 43 years now, though of course I could only communicate in like 38 of them 

43 years ago if you denounced a Jewish persons Old Testament religous beliefs, you would have been considered a bigot. Now people accuse of Jewish person with those exact same religous beliefs of being a bigot. Words that are so fluid become less meaningful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Arkady Renko said:

What would you do if your friend said something like this and was the subject of a social media firestorm?

What would you do if your friend said something like this and was the subject of a social media firestorm?

I'd get better friends

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

How about we leave the generalization out of this along with the politics aspect of it and stay on point.

Not disagreeing, just would prefer this doesn't devolve into a PPP thread.

Sincere apologies, I tried to delete as fast as I could as i realized it was inappropriate here

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

43 years ago if you denounced a Jewish persons Old Testament religous beliefs, you would have been considered a bigot. Now people accuse of Jewish person with those exact same religous beliefs of being a bigot. Words that are so fluid become less meaningful. 

I agree there can be some uncertainty around involved, and even when there isn’t I will almost always ask that we forgive and educate- because dumping someone merely radicalizes someone.

At the same time, Jerry is a 55 year old man or whatever, and the newspaper is a tiny one that can’t AFFORD to lose much readership, and most importantly zero uncertainty around what he said being bigoted or not 

Like when Jake Fromm had those old texts surface I had mostly empathy for the guy, and was happy the Bills kept him on and me seemed to have learned from it.

If the Bills had fired him, at such a young age, that leads to resentment towards pretty much everyone involved, and may have radicalized him. That’s essentially how we end up with radical politicians of all backgrounds and parties.

An event occurs, and rather than empathy for everyone involved, someone is just dumped aside

Edited by appoo

Just now, WotAGuy said:

It already is a PPP thread. Has nothing to do with the BiIls. 

It's getting a leash at this point is all I'm saying.  And yes it has to do with the bills and football.

First it was the comment to Josh(bills) and then talking about women fans(football).  It's thin but why push it?

Just now, The Wiz said:

It's getting a leash at this point is all I'm saying.  And yes it has to do with the bills and football.

First it was the comment to Josh(bills) and then talking about women fans(football).  It's thin but why push it?

What’s the big deal about moving it to another part of the website?  That extra click to go over there is too much?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why I said “this would give them the cover that they need.” They probably wanted him out following the “Super Bowl offense” comment. It’s in their best interest to not censor that (even if they wanted to).

With the comments of yesterday they can pull his credential under the premise of “misogyny has no place in our organization.” They might not play that hand with other reporters, but with Sully it is possible. He has been hated within those walls for 35+ years. 

Looks like they didn’t have to make that call - Channel 4 did 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah but he still is a member of WIVB digital and that is where he got the credentials issued.  They still have not fired him as of now 

Yep and now he is fired from there also.  

It was inevitable.

Guess that means he probably loses his press credentials.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It does make you wonder but I’m against this idea because Jerry still works for 2 legit news organizations that cover the team.  I think the Bills PR staff will be conscious of how the move would be perceived.  As much as they might not like them, the organization needs the media and doesn’t want to give the appearance that they’ll boot you if a reporter asks a critical question.  It would have to be more personal of a situation 

They were never going to pull the credentials for the stupid or critical questions he asked. 

He was always going to lose his positions with the sexist comments he made and because the Bills are very female forward in their own in house media and through the local and national media - he was going to be done as a reporter covering the Bills based on the pod cast.

He might have saved himself - if he had gotten out in front of this with a true heartfelt apology, but once the backlash started and he had not responded- it was always going to be to late.

10 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

clicks clicks clicks generating clicks clicks clicks

Jerry Sullivan is War Games. The only winning move is not to play/read.

it would appear that mr sullivan has no paying venue left for which to garner clicks.   He now conceivably has time to write a book. Him doing so would surprise me zero.

Is it true that even bad publicity is good publicity? He does have supporters....somewhere ......probably some even now

I see him hiring a reputation rebuilding type PR firm who will advise him in how to salvage some credibility with the masses who now think he is just a hack with wack opinions.

Karma is a b*tch. 

I don’t hate Jerry, don’t like him either. I just find it hilarious in this day and age he’d be so stupid to voice an opinion like that publicly and recorded. What a clown.

You can’t put yourself out there as the guy everyone loves to hate and then give the public the gun and bullets at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

That's a very fair point.  But I think most people would agree that "(name a group) are the worst, they don't understand (concept), they just want to be (activity)" is likely to fall into that "bigoted" umbrella.

5 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Karma is a b*tch. 

I don’t hate Jerry, don’t like him either. I just find it hilarious in this day and age he’d be so stupid to voice an opinion like that publicly and recorded. What a clown.

You can’t put yourself out there as the guy everyone loves to hate and then give the public the gun and bullets at the same time.

A very astute summation.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yep and now he is fired from there also.  

It was inevitable.

Guess that means he probably loses his press credentials.

Imagine a teammate breaking the news to Josh, Poyer, and Micah Hyde that Jerry Sullivan was let go from 2 media outlets and lost his press credentials.

I picture a slow smile breaking across all 3 faces followed by something like "Huh.  That's a Shame"

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Imagine a teammate breaking the news to Josh, Poyer, and Micah Hyde that Jerry Sullivan was let go from 2 media outlets and lost his press credentials.

I picture a slow smile breaking across all 3 faces followed by something like "Huh.  That's a Shame"

More like "HAHAHAHA!!!! LOSER!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.