Wawrow hints an Internal Issues with the Bills

CountDorkula

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, that's third year Daboll's offense of 2021 vs rookie Dorsey's half finished 2022 campaign, which also happens to include about 6 quarters of his offense sitting due to blowouts.

I mean Dorsey also has a fully developed veteran Allen.

So you are giving the OC credit for the offensive production, now???

Just now, SWATeam said:

I mean Dorsey also has a fully developed veteran Allen.

So you are giving the OC credit for the offensive production, now???

No. I was responding to someone pining for Daboll, when in actuality this year's iteration is largely the same if not a slightly superior version of last year's offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think Irony is the term you are looking for but I know what you are saying.:lol:   I certainly have the techniques for handling negative discourse pretty well

Really ?

One of your posts attacked a fellow poster for being on antidepressants. 

That is is way overboard and is not exactly handling "negative discourse"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh, first world problems.

Beasley didn't get any slack on the $100K+ fines he was assessed because he drew attention to himself with his social media griping about covid protocols.    He put a target on his back.   If the Bills got caught letting him get away with anything they were likely to be punished.   He alienated HIMSELF.

As for Daboll........he engineered the 6 point performance in Jacksonville a year ago this week and a number of other stinkers last year.    He wasn't above reproach for the team struggling to 7-6.

Dorsey came into this season seeking to become the first rookie OC to lead a team to a SB win since Mike Holmgren back in 1989.   And Holmgren was taking over a 49ers offense that had already won 3 SB's.......including the season before.    If Dorsey is a work in progress then he is in good company because it's unusual for first time OC's to be their best right away.   Daboll himself was simply pathetic at 3 prior stops as an NFL OC and lousy in his first year in Buffalo too.

He wasn’t pathetic in three prior stops and his first season in Buffalo; he had absolutely horrible QBs. QBs make or break OC reputations. If Allen doesn’t throw those stupid picks vs the Jets and Vikes, no one here would be talking about Dorsey. Holmgren was a terrible offensive coach when he had bad qbs too. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He wasn’t pathetic in three prior stops and his first season in Buffalo; he had absolutely horrible QBs. QBs make or break OC reputations. If Allen doesn’t throw those stupid picks vs the Jets and Vikes, no one here would be talking about Dorsey. Holmgren was a terrible offensive coach when he had bad qbs too. 

We, may, however still be talking about McDermott because there are some peculiar decisions he makes on game management. 

As a completely unbiased viewpoint I do not believe there is anyone who says he is above a C+ grade in game management. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

We, may, however still be talking about McDermott because there are some peculiar decisions he makes on game management. 

As a completely unbiased viewpoint I do not believe there is anyone who says he is above a C+ grade in game management. 

If you took out 13 seconds, I would honestly give him at least a B and maybe a B+ over the last season and a half.

He's gotten better and he's still getting better.

They've played about 100,000 seconds over the last year and half and he's been good for almost 99,990 of them; but that 10 second cluster drops him a full letter grade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

That good? Questionable player decisions, play reviews and clock management.

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

If you took out 13 seconds, I would honestly give him at least a B and maybe a B+ over the last season and a half.

He's gotten better and he's still getting better.

They've played about 100,000 seconds over the last year and half and he's been good for almost 99,990 of them; but that 10 second cluster drops him a full letter grade.

Isn't it under those precious seconds, in those very moments where he is supposed to be the top of all coaches? Among the top 20-30 in his field? That's why I can't go above a C. He buckles when it matters most. 

8 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

That good? Questionable player decisions, play reviews and clock management.

As pointed out by Simon. The 98.1% of the game he's on point. The 1.7% he's off and we still find a way. And the .2% is the 13 seconds, the fumble in the end zone, the 4th down pick, the not preaching to a 1st time safety to bat balls down and not catch them, the package he let on the field with DiMarco running a deep route in Houston...

There are really strange things that a person who has risen to his level should not be doing that are super basic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fielding 32nd ranked offenses isn't pathetic?

Has there been a worse track record thru 3 NFL OC jobs than Brian Daboll?

And his offense in the first half in Buffalo in 2018 was threatening to be worse than any of them.........they were on a pace to be the lowest scoring NFL offense since the merger.   

It's true that Daboll needed a modern day John Elway to elevate him from an impotent play caller to effective.  

I'm not saying he's not a good offensive mind NOW.........he's been given a wealth of opportunity to grow as a coach...........but it's not like there haven't been OC's who have been able to field at least competent offenses without a good QB.    Even the sorry drought Bills had guys like Chan Gailey and Greg Roman.       

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

To the point of the bold text, in this past offseason the Bills brought in:

Mike Shula (former NFL OC and college HC (Alabama))

Aaron Kromer (former interim NFL HC and NFL OC)

Joe Brady (former NFL OC)

That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen brought in to assist Dorsey in making the leap.

Are those moves you make if you are 100% onboard with your new OC?

just something to think about

IDK, but those are definitely hires that I’d make in a league where OCs that perform well are rapidly poached for HC jobs. 

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

IDK, but those are definitely hires that I’d make in a league where OCs that perform well are rapidly poached for HC jobs. 

It's remarkable how hiring coaches with good reputations can be twisted into a negative. If this was the Pats a few years back it would be twisted into something along the lines of "see that - they are so damn good everyone wants to coach there - why can't we be like that!". If folks don't like Dorsey that's fine, time will tell. Claiming we hired competent coaches cuz we didn't trust the Dorsey hire is a stretch.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Signs do point to Daboll wanting out.

Flores lawsuit mentions that Daboll wanted out of Buffalo, even if it wasn’t for a head coach job. In other words, he would consider a lateral job move.

Well they did go from a high octane, efficient passing offense in 2020 with Josh Allen throwing for 8 yards per attempt and nearly 70% completion and only 400 some yards rushing to a disjointed one that needed Allen to run the ball like crazy to be good against decent teams.

We are accustomed to that now.....Allen might rush for 1,000 this year...........but it was a BIG step backward for Daboll and they had some terrible games against an easy schedule.     Wouldn't be surprised if McDermott wasn't happy about that turn of events.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's remarkable how hiring coaches with good reputations can be twisted into a negative. If this was the Pats a few years back it would be twisted into something along the lines of "see that - they are so damn good everyone wants to coach there - why can't we be like that!". If folks don't like Dorsey that's fine, time will tell. Claiming we hired competent coaches cuz we didn't trust the Dorsey hire is a stretch.

Yup. I imagine they’re grooming Brady as Dorsey’s eventual replacement while Shula is there for experience and “break glass in case of emergency”.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fielding 32nd ranked offenses isn't pathetic?

Has there been a worse track record thru 3 NFL OC jobs than Brian Daboll?

And his offense in the first half in Buffalo in 2018 was threatening to be worse than any of them.........they were on a pace to be the lowest scoring NFL offense since the merger.   

It's true that Daboll needed a modern day John Elway to elevate him from an impotent play caller to effective.  

I'm not saying he's not a good offensive mind NOW.........he's been given a wealth of opportunity to grow as a coach...........but it's not like there haven't been OC's who have been able to field at least competent offenses without a good QB.    Even the sorry drought Bills had guys like Chan Gailey and Greg Roman.       

Didn’t address my point. His qbs were TERRIBLE. You’re too smart to buy into the cult of the OC. That’s how guys like Adam Gase get head coaching jobs when all he did was ride the coattails of Manning. Do OCs make a difference at the margins? Sure. But if the qbs suck, you are f**ked — no two ways about it. And whether you are 32nd or 29th is immaterial — you’re going to be horrible when you’re rolling out the likes of Brady Quinn (for two teams!), Seneca Wallace, a rookie Colt McCoy, Chad Henne, Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, and a broken down Matt Cassel.

Edited by dave mcbride

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Didn’t address my point. His qbs were TERRIBLE. You’re too smart to buy into the cult of the OC. That’s how guys like Adam Gase get head coaching jobs when all he did was ride the coattails of Manning. Do OCs make a difference at the margins? Sure. But if the qbs suck, you are f**ked — no two ways about it. And whether you are 32nd or 29th is immaterial — you’re going to be horrible when you’re rolling out the likes of Brady Quinn (for two teams!), Seneca Wallace, a rookie Colt McCoy, Chad Henne, Derek Anderson, Matt Moore, and a broken down Matt Cassel.

Well then your point is also that the OC is entirely inconsequential.   You can't expect no more than 32nd because the QB isn't excellent and then give substantial credit when the QB is.

That's too simplistic.

I know there are those offensive minds that are better than others despite deficiencies at the QB position.   And Daboll has never proven to be one of them.    And there isn't evidence to the contrary.    

13 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Really ?

One of your posts attacked a fellow poster for being on antidepressants. 

That is is way overboard and is not exactly handling "negative discourse"

I thought I responded to this hyperbole but apparently not.

I didn't attack the poster "for being on antidepressants"...........I said that I didn't take the repetitive and unsolicited attacks toward my post and others from said poster seriously because of it.    

That's another thing you won't see from me is just telling people "this is the worst post ever" for the 20th time this year just because you have an opinion I disagree with.   I'm not on that out of control rollercoaster of emotion like some of you dog kickers.    You lied in the post above but even then I've given you the dignity of a reasoned response. 

• Dislike 2

10 hours ago, turftoe said:

I think the mystery illness with Kim is at least a distraction, if not an internal issue. In my opinion, she has been the real mover and shaker, not Terry.

Huh?  She has nothing to do with the football side of the business on a day to day basis.  

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No. I was responding to someone pining for Daboll, when in actuality this year's iteration is largely the same if not a slightly superior version of last year's offense.

Idk how people don’t see this lol we were complaining about dabolls playcalls every week last year and we had an even bigger midseason slump then.  Josh is leading the league in total yards and is 2nd in tds.  Dorsey is certainly not forcing him to throw the ball to the other team. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The 2022 Bills are 22nd in the red zone, which is downright criminal considering who is under center.

We were 7th last year. 13th in 2020. 17th in 19. 16th in 18. 21st in 17 (With Tuh and Dennison lmao).

Thats horrific and the biggest reason why Dorsey’s is not “largely the same if not slightly superior,” compared to Daboll. We are worse in the red zone than we were when Josh was a rookie and Andre Holmes was WR2. 

Criminal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Daboll got a head coaching job by being in Buffalo…

Daboll pulled a Mike Mularkey.

He took a step back after surprising the league by having a QB unexpectedly look like an MVP candidate one year(Kordell Stewart)........and then after that notably lesser performance with the star QB than the prior season he got a gig anyway by connections.    Mularkey got his thru Donahoe to bring Steelers football to Buffalo and Daboll in a package with Schoen to try to replicate McBeane's success.

Wyche, Mularkey and Daboll are all the same type of wicky-wacky play callers(as Wyche was called by many around the league).   When it works it's great.   But inconsistency from year to year was a hallmark.

• Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The 2022 Bills are 22nd in the red zone, which is downright criminal considering who is under center.

We were 7th last year. 13th in 2020. 17th in 19. 16th in 18. 21st in 17 (With Tuh and Dennison lmao).

Thats horrific and the biggest reason why Dorsey’s is not “largely the same if not slightly superior,” compared to Daboll. We are worse in the red zone than we were when Josh was a rookie and Andre Holmes was WR2. 

Criminal.

I care more about yards and points than trips inside the 20.

51 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Idk how people don’t see this lol we were complaining about dabolls playcalls every week last year and we had an even bigger midseason slump then.  Josh is leading the league in total yards and is 2nd in tds.  Dorsey is certainly not forcing him to throw the ball to the other team. 

A portion of fans here complain about the OC all the time, no matter who he is, or what the Bills are doing!

It's the easiest scapegoat in the football world.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I care more about yards and points than trips inside the 20.

Converting inside the 20 directly correlates to points.....

We have the best dual threat QB in the game and we get a TD 52% of the time we get into the redzone.  A million puke face emojis.

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Criminal.

Well last year they DID have one of the easier schedules in football.

This year, it's been tough sledding and their entire division is in playoff position right now.

Fact.......good teams play better red zone defense.

Add in that they have notably lesser personnel in the WR corps than 2021............McKenzie is an absolute joke as a starting slot receiver..........and Josh Allen making inexplicably crazy decisions in the red zone.......and it's not so criminal of the OC, in fact.

IMO the Dorsey and Daboll experience has been very similar.    But there haven't been the full game flops like last year.   Which points to original game plans by Dorsey being better than Daboll last year.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

A portion of fans here complain about the OC all the time, no matter who he is, or what the Bills are doing!

It's the easiest scapegoat in the football world.

Seems like way more of an execution issue this season to me…tons of yards,tons of points, tons of turnovers. 

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We have the best dual threat QB in the game and we get a TD 52% of the time we get into the redzone.  A million puke face emojis.

We probably have one of the worst run blocking offensive lines in football too though and no one has stepped up at slot receiver .  That makes calling plays in the red zone a lot more difficult.  It’s undoubtedly a problem, but idk how much of it is on Dorsey and how much the players.  

josh had a ton of easy ways to pick up a first on that final play vs Minnesota and he threw a terrible ball to Davis instead.  Hard to blame Dorsey on those kind of plays 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well last year they DID have one of the easier schedules in football.

This year, it's been tough sledding and their entire division is in playoff position right now.

Fact.......good teams play better red zone defense.

Add in that they have notably lesser personnel in the WR corps than 2021............McKenzie is an absolute joke as a starting slot receiver..........and Josh Allen making inexplicably crazy decisions in the red zone.......and it's not so criminal of the OC, in fact.

IMO the Dorsey and Daboll experience has been very similar.    But there haven't been the full game flops like last year.   Which points to original game plans by Dorsey being better than Daboll last year.

Don't you feel like we are in a similar skid now?

2nd half of the GB game to full Jets game to full Vikings game have been super mistake prone and a sleepwalking offense at times.  We got outscored 23-6 in the second half of the Vikings game.  We have 8 TO's in the last 10 Q's of football.

I guess we haven't had a Jags game fiasco yet, but we are certainly slumping.  I would rather have one inexplicable game buoyed by dominant offensive performances before and after than this stretch.

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Seems like way more of an execution issue this season to me…tons of yards,tons of points, tons of turnovers. 

We probably have one of the worst run blocking offensive lines in football too though and no one has stepped up at slot receiver .  That makes calling plays in the red zone a lot more difficult.  It’s undoubtedly a problem, but idk how much of it is on Dorsey and how much the players.  

Like I said, we have a worst RZ offense than the 2018 Bills. That includes games started by Derek Anderson and Nate Peterman, with a horrific OL and horrific WR's and a rookie Josh Allen. Not sure if you can point to talent.  There's a huge series by Cover1 that our play design in the RZ is a joke.

41 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

josh had a ton of easy ways to pick up a first on that final play vs Minnesota and he threw a terrible ball to Davis instead.  Hard to blame Dorsey on those kind of plays 

There is a lot of things that can be said so while I say this, please keep in mind I am not focusing this at you but your comment opens the chance to weigh in... 

Tampa Bay has a lack of depth at WR, an inconsistent running back situation, an underwhelming OL, a defense that isn't in rhythm.

Miami has no running back, and no threat on the ground (Tua scrambling is a bad idea), their OL is over achieving and may come back to reality, their defense is a joke. And Tua is one sneeze away from death.

The Jets are a coin flip of a team that won't get the job done.

The Titans have a weakness at QB but are otherwise quite a sound team. Their pass coverage and run defense as a whole are over achieving. They might be a one of the better teams in the league.

KC has no run game. KEH is hurt. Tooney and whoever else are at WR are not Hill and members past, with their rook not playing to his potential yet.  Their defense is barely surviving. Without Kelce and Mahomes they're done.

Minnesota is the luckiest team in the league. Very good and playing the fundamentals well but they should have lost 1 or 2 games. But now they have swagger.

My point is every team has flaws.

However, my two favorites to win and succeed based on their football product is Minnesota and Tennessee. 

Let's see.... do I fire McD if I am the owner and have seen how relevant and competitive he has made the Bills just so I can please the fanbase who wants to give every coach 2-3 years to win the SB?  Nah.  I definitely am into changing the OC though if this keeps up. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think there are points on both sides regarding the OC/QB relationship.  A talented QB can make a mediocre OC look better than he is, sure.  But an OC who isn't up to the job can make a talented QB look mediocre, and a servicable QB look awful.

The quintessential example would be the 2015-2016 Rams with Frank Cignetti then Rob Boras as OC.  The QB were Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Jared Goff.   None of them looked competent to run a professional NFL offense in those years.  Within 2 years, Foles won a Superbowl for the Eagles then next year, took them to the division round of the playoffs; Keenum took the Vikings to 11-3 and a conference championship; Goff took the Rams to 11-5, a division win, then next year 13-3 and a Superbowl appearance.   Are any of them great NFL QB?  Probably not, but it can't be a coincidence that all 3 looked so bad with the Rams and those OCs, then changed coaches/OCs and went on to strong seasons and some playoff success.

Trevor Lawrence is looking much better this year with Press Taylor/Doug Pederson than he looked last season with Darrell Bevel/Urban Meyer.  Daniel Jones looked like he might have something, his rookie year with Mike Shula/Pat Shurmer.  He looked bad the next two seasons with Jason Garrett/Joe Judge.  Now with Mike Kafka/Brian Daboll he looks good again.  Tua looks better this year with Frank Smith/Mike McDaniel than he looked his first 2 seasons.

So, to Brian Daboll.  Yes, in Cleveland, he didn't have a QB.  He had Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy.  In Miami, he had Matt Moore (who I think can be serviceable) and Chad Henne (no).  Daboll arguably got more out of Moore than his previous stints.  Then in Kansas, he had Matt Cassel who had a good year (10-5) 2 years prior in KC, and a previous good year in NE - so he arguably could be serviceable - and Brady Quinn again.  There's a point to be made that Daboll showed mixed results for maximizing and making the best use of what offensive talent he had.  He arguably got the best out of Matt Moore; he didn't get the best out of Matt Cassel but maybe you're right that Cassel was broken, IDK. 

I think there's an argument to be made that in a couple of those stops, there was more running game and more short passing game to be had.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The best dual threat QB in the game has been the biggest reason for our lack of TDs in the red zone.  Dorsey deserves some blame, no doubt…..but 17 deserves the majority of the blame for our red zone failures.  He’s made some horrific decisions and throws.  

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

There is a lot of things that can be said so while I say this, please keep in mind I am not focusing this at you but your comment opens the chance to weigh in... 

Tampa Bay has a lack of depth at WR, an inconsistent running back situation, an underwhelming OL, a defense that isn't in rhythm.

Miami has no running back, and no threat on the ground (Tua scrambling is a bad idea), their OL is over achieving and may come back to reality, their defense is a joke. And Tua is one sneeze away from death.

The Jets are a coin flip of a team that won't get the job done.

The Titans have a weakness at QB but are otherwise quite a sound team. Their pass coverage and run defense as a whole are over achieving. They might be a one of the better teams in the league.

KC has no run game. KEH is hurt. Tooney and whoever else are at WR are not Hill and members past, with their rook not playing to his potential yet.  Their defense is barely surviving. Without Kelce and Mahomes they're done.

Minnesota is the luckiest team in the league. Very good and playing the fundamentals well but they should have lost 1 or 2 games. But now they have swagger.

My point is every team has flaws.

However, my two favorites to win and succeed based on their football product is Minnesota and Tennessee. 

Favorites to win the Super Bowl?  If so, what odds would you like?