An honest question...

Pine Barrens Mafia

38 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Reading is fundamental, RiC.

That post was speaking specifically about WR and OL

Do try and keep up

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Who in this team outside of Josh Allen couldn't be replaced?

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Can you name any other players on the roster who aren't easily replaceable? 

Tell me where you specified WR and OL?

Not only that, but you commented on other posters about other positions too.  Did you forget that you did that or something?

35 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

And yet, the needle of performance on defense hasn't moved in any significant way. Why is that? Given all the investment, it should be the best of the best, and it's just not.

They are #1 in scoring defense.  I guess since they aren't better than #1...it's a disappointment.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tell me where you specified WR and OL?

Not only that, but you commented on other posters about other positions too.  Did you forget that you did that or something?

A team is, by definition, a collection of players. If the players aren't good enough, then the team isn't good enough.

That's the problem I think we're facing with groups like the OL and the WRs.

Outside of Diggs, Morse and MAYBE Dawkins, the rest just aren't good enough.

21 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

K.

Well, sure did a fantastic job against a garbage one-dimensional Jets offense yesterday.

Loved that tackling, how about you? Also some fantastic pass-rush-win-rating going on too.

If you're a top unit, you can't ever struggle.  The Chiefs have a great offense...they haven't had any struggles this year.

49ers have a great defense...they haven't struggled at any point of the year.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're a top unit, you can't ever struggle.  The Chiefs have a great offense...they haven't had any struggles this year.

49ers have a great defense...they haven't struggled at any point of the year.

*face on desk*

Your stubborn persistence in rose-colored glasses living has worn down my will to resist.

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Yeah, you're definitely only talking about WR and OL.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure

Miller

Oliver

Milano

Hyde

Dawkins

White

to name a couple. 

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Disagree 2,3,4. Can maybe see a case for 1,5. But the only one I'll solidly agree on is tre white 

26 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

K.

Well, sure did a fantastic job against a garbage one-dimensional Jets offense yesterday.

Loved that tackling, how about you? Also some fantastic pass-rush-win-rating going on too.

We'll see how that defense looks in the postseason.

because in reality, that's what matters.

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

I can't come up with too many other names, and that's troubling. I'm starting to look at beane and McDermott like I do James Franklin. That is to say, they're guys who were able to resurrect a dead program, but I'm afraid they're incapable of actually elevating the program to the pinnacle.

Geezus…one loss against a stout defense and we went from SB favorite and most talented roster in the NFL to everyone but 2 guys are replaceable.  That Beane and McD are not good enough.

Make. It. Stop.

The mental toughness of this board is at an all time low.  Everything must be perfect or we suck and everyone should go.  It’s crazy.  

Didn’t realize the Rams had a perfect season last year, or the Bucs the year before, or every SB champion in history. Shame on the Bills for not having a perfect season.  Let’s clean house and rebuild.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus…one loss against a stout defense and we went from SB favorite and most talented roster in the NFL to everyone but 2 guys are replaceable.  That Beane and McD are not good enough.

Make. It. Stop.

The mental toughness of this board is at an all time low.  Everything must be perfect or we suck and everyone should go.  It’s crazy.  

Didn’t realize the Rams had a perfect season last year, or the Bucs the year before, or every SB champion in history. Shame on the Bills for not having a perfect season.  Let’s clean house and rebuild.  

You have to be a well oiled machine for all 17 games or you're just not good enough.

You wonder why he didn't create this thread after beating 3 division leaders?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No your thread is about their Evaluation.  My complaint is McD gets everything he needs for his defense and here is his patch work protection of their Franchise QB

Vlad Ducasse

Dion Dawkins - Top 10 LT (Draft)(2nd Round Pick)

Russel Bodine

Marshall Newhouse

Spencer Long

Jon Feliciano

Mitch Morse - Top C (UFA)

Ty Nsekhe

LaAdrian Waddle

Cody Ford (Draft) (2nd Round Pick)

Quinton Spain

Evan Boehm

Garrett McGhin

Daryl Williams

Ike Boettger

Bobby Hart

Jamil Douglas

Forrest Lamp

Spencer Brown (Draft) (3rd)

Jake Anderson (Draft) (7th)

Tommy Doyle (Draft) (5th)

Rodger Saffold

Greg Mancz

Ryan Bates 

So my count (alot more UFAs too that were fodder) 19 UFAs

5 Draft Picks

And got 2 upper echelon OL.

If they do have an evaluation problem it is with their ability to find OL, but then again maybe tell Sean he doesnt get to use all the money and premium picks on defense for once.

This is fair. Similar but less talked about to our struggles at RB. Wyatt Teller being drafted, then traded and becoming a great player is the encapsulation of our success with the OL. Quinton Spain has also been more productive since he left.

Our OL should really be Dawkins, Teller, Morse, Spain, Brown. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is fair. Similar but less talked about to our struggles at RB. Wyatt Teller being drafted, then traded and becoming a great player is the encapsulation of our success with the OL. Quinton Spain has also been more productive since he left.

Our OL should really be Dawkins, Teller, Morse, Spain, Brown. 

Spain has forced his way out of Buffalo and is now an involuntary free agent. The Bungles released him this offseason after he lost his starting job to someone else who gets Joe Burrow killed.  Is that what you meant by productive?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Spain has forced his way out of Buffalo and is now an involuntary free agent. The Bungles released him this offseason after he lost his starting job to someone else who gets Joe Burrow killed.  Is that what you meant by productive?

Fair enough, I though he had a good year last year, I didn't realize he was still a total dud. 

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Make. It. Stop.

Couldn't have said it better - although people call for Beane's and McDermott's jobs when they win but don't win by enough.

It is actually quite amusing that certain posters will come on here and complain about the lack of mental toughness from the players but then couldn't be more miserable and negative after a loss

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

You need to relax. We lost a game. We are 6-2. You're saying Beane and McDermott can't elevate a team to the pinnacle yet there are 9 games left and plenty of time to correct mistakes. The Chiefs lost to the Colts and didn't play well against the Titans last night. We still have the head to head against all other afc division leaders, we control our own fate. This site is unbearable after losses. How dumb will you look if we win 13 games and get the 1 seed?

And they could go out and win every single game till the Super  Bowl and that game will still be determined only on how the players play on that day.  I didn't enjoy the mistakes and the loss yesterday but they earned that loss and if they still give that type of effort in more games they can lose those too.  We all know how capable our players can play so it's disappointing when they all come out so flat.  It is in their own hands how they respond and that will be more telling of what they will accomplish as a team this season.  

Edited by AuntieEm

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure

Miller

Oliver

Milano

Hyde

Dawkins

White

to name a couple. 

Oliver is a stretch.  Pretty good player, but hardly irreplaceable.  Poyer certainly belongs on the list.  Maybe Morse, too.

28 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

And they could go out and win every single game till the Super  Bowl and that game will still be determined only on how the players play on that day.  I didn't enjoy the mistakes and the loss yesterday but they earned that loss and if they still give that type of effort in more games they can lose those too.  We all know how capable our players can play so it's disappointing when they all come out so flat.  It is in their own hands how they respond and that will be more telling of what they will accomplish as a team this season.  

I really would like to know what this site would have been like had it existed during the Super Bowl years after a bad loss lol

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

I could throw out a couple of names, and we could argue about them, but the real point is that question is irrelevant.  It really is.  The best teams do not have a boatload of irreplaceable players.    Who did the Patriots have, beyond Brady?  Revis for a few years, Wilfork for several.    There are only 30 or 40 irreplaceable players in the league, and with the salary cap and the draft, that means that every team ought to have 1 or 2.  A few may have three or four, but they often aren't the best players.  

How many irreplaceable players do the Cowboys have?   It's a trick question, because you reach some silly conclusions, one way or another.  One the one hand, you might say the have Zeke and Dak and a great offensive lineman, and that long speedy receiver, and that linebacker.   There are five, and yet they aren't dominating.   We'll see.  Or you argue that only one or two of those are irreplaceable, but if that's true, then it kind of proves that there are only 30-40 irreplacable guys. 

No, winning is not about collecting irreplaceable players.   You need one or two, and one has to be your QB, but what you really need is a whole team full of guys who do their jobs with a high degree of success.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was out when McD was compared to James Franklin 😆 I get the comparison, but McD is a solid coach, and a great guy. Franklin is a mediocre coach, and questionable character. McD shows some glaring weaknesses at times, but there’s no reason he can’t win a title. It’s up to the players to perform as well.

Edited by SirAndrew

The obvious effect of the injuries this year on our team undercuts your OP premise imho…our roster was universally hailed as one of, nay, the best top to bottom starting this year’s campaign…let’s see what happens when we get the majority of our starters back on the field at the same time. 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:16 AM, MAJBobby said:

So how easy it is to replace top 10 LTs and DTs in this league. Lol. 

You’d have to assume others believe they are too 10 LT and DT. Which I think many would argue they are not. Dawkins can have a case made for him. Oliver isn’t even in the top 50% imo 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

You’d have to assume others believe they are too 10 LT and DT. Which I think many would argue they are not. Dawkins can have a case made for him. Oliver isn’t even in the top 50% imo 

Oliver is massively overrated here.

I'd say odds are he's not extended 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

So you are quite contradictive of your "question."  You imply we only have 1 maybe 2 players that are not easily replaced.  Then you go on to say that McD cant elevate the program.  If we only have 1 irreplaceable player on the roster then wouldnt it mean that he elevated the program?

Who is not replaceable on the Chiefs roster outside of Mahomes?

Kelce?

Who is not replaceable on most rosters in the NFL besides a star QB and maybe another star here or there?  They either did a good job building the team and they compete or they didnt.  I say they did.

Edited by Scott7975

On 11/7/2022 at 7:12 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Stefon Diggs?

My God what has happened to people on this board.

Go do the same for KC and get back to me.

17 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Oliver is massively overrated here.

I'd say odds are he's not extended 

He’ll have the 5th year option and will not be back. He was a wasted draft pick imo. Undersized DT. Everyone put the Donald tag on him at first. It was comical then, it’s not funny anymore. He’s a dud 

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

look up the games where Milano was out 

the L column is MUCH larger than the W

That is such a ridiculous way to put it. And I’d bet you are incorrect anyway. The amount of games missed by him over the course of his career is mind numbing. Either way, he has very little do do with the W/L record of the Bills. He’s simply a player. Not saying he could be replaced by throwing a rock in any direction and picking a guy to play for him. But he’s just not that impactful to this defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

NFL roster management is financial asset management.  The question is how valuable is the roster compared to its cap cost. Everyone understands this when they discuss the advantage of having a high end QB on a rookie contract. 

Allen plays far above his cap cost.  This is the main reason the Bills succeed.  The Bills do not have many other players playing significantly above their cap cost (Elam, Benard, Rousseu come to mind as playing above their cost).  Its not clear to me that the Bills have many other bargains on the roster. 

Positional decision making is part of the asset management. It should be noted that the Bills have more cap committed to the defense than any other NFL team. The defence should be expected to excel. (again Allen, allows the Bills to go cheap on the rest of offense)

Edited by Chaos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.