Lil' Dummy McKenzie.........offical team character builder

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Shakir is on the 53 man roster and need not be elevated.

I think you mean "have him active", which he was last week and this week and likely will be going forward.

Shakir played 15 snaps yesterday, on which he had 2 targets and 1 reception.  The other, he got his hands on the ball and couldn't bring it in.

I mean "elevated" as in starting at the slot. Shakir should be the #1 slot WR, with McK backing him up instead of the other way around.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you.

Been saying it all along. He isnt mentally sharp or focused enough to be part of this team.

It always something with this dude.

Josh, Diggs, Davis, Knox are all dialed-in at all times, ready for anything, and hyper focused on doing their jobs. McK is obviously not.

He is a liability, and I do not trust him one bit out on the field with the Super Bowl in the balance. It is 100% Shakir time, and only go to McKenzie if we have no other choice.

Edmunds may be relieved that a new target has been selected.  

Saying that any player is dialed in at all times is silly.  I’ll grant that McKenzie may be “dialed out” more often than others, but it isn’t as if he hasn’t contributed.  Would we have won the division last year if he hadn’t put up that performance at NE?  

Dialed in all the time huh?.  Knox, who you named, went the wrong way on the game winning TD and Josh threw a dot anyway.  If Knox went the right way it was a layup.  This is not meant as some sort of Knox bash, rather just saying that it happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it was after the botched lateral.   Later in the drive they showed him again and he had a concerned look.   He's a screwball.  Part of his charm with teammates is his inappropriateness.   I believe he made a joke about Micah Hyde's neck last week that Micah didn't care for.   Young men like to have a clown like that around but the problem is that his lack of situational awareness carries over to the field. :lol:

Getting his bell run didn't seem to help his situational awareness either. And I don't understand why they kept him on the field for so many snaps. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Saying that any player is dialed in at all times is silly.  I’ll grant that McKenzie may be “dialed out” more often than others, but it isn’t as if he hasn’t contributed.  Would we have won the division last year if he hadn’t put up that performance at NE?  

Dialed in all the time huh?.  Knox, who you named, went the wrong way on the game winning TD and Josh threw a dot anyway.  If Knox went the right way it was a layup.  This is not meant as some sort of Knox bash, rather just saying that it happens.

Wasn't there a run play which got stuffed near our own EZ, where Romo said Singletary had taken the wrong gap and if he'd taken the right one and blocked for Josh it could have gone for 25 yds?  Like you, not intended as a Motor Bash, I thought Singletary had a strong game.  But yeah - pretty much every player makes mistakes, no one is "dialed in at all times".

McKenzie has had a knack for being clumsy throughout his career. He's hilarious, clearly a favorite class clown on the team, and easy to root for.

But he has played himself out of the starting position. I am floored that he wasn't benched yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wasn't there a run play which got stuffed near our own EZ, where Romo said Singletary had taken the wrong gap and if he'd taken the right one and blocked for Josh it could have gone for 25 yds?  Like you, not intended as a Motor Bash, I thought Singletary had a strong game.  But yeah - pretty much every player makes mistakes, no one is "dialed in at all times".

Singletary did block the wrong gap on that play. Had a great game otherwise. I'm not sure of the argument you're responding to, but McKenzie made too many awful plays yesterday to hand wave it away as a fluke. 

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

he’s absolutely been a liability on special teams and a liability when out there on offense so far this year.

The players have to know this too.  He has 11 more games to work it out, but if this continues, he can't be on the field in the playoffs.  

44 minutes ago, Dopey said:

All I could say out loud was “ he’s really having a bad day”. I was hoping he would catch a late td. Feel bad for him. Having said that, shape up or ship out. 

This hands issue really isn't new for McKenzie though. If you look at PFRef he fumbled the ball 6 times in 11 games for Denver in 2017. It's almost certainly the reason he was released by the Broncos. Clearly he had gotten it squared away for the first few seasons in Buffalo, but I think it's worth considering that the helmet hit he took a few weeks ago may be causing him to be anticipating contact and distract him from the task at hand.

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yeah I don't think it's that he's not dialed in. Much more likely that the hit he took is lingering in his mind and causing him to struggle when he senses a defender trained on him.

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Singletary did block the wrong gap on that play. Had a great game otherwise. I'm not sure of the argument you're responding to, but McKenzie made too many awful plays yesterday to hand wave it away as a fluke. 

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dispute the point that McKenzie had a bad game yesterday.  He did, in a visible way.  I'm not trying to dump on Motor, either, who I agree had a great game.  Cautiously optimistic about the run game, and also his role in the passing game.

I'm in response to the claim that the other offensive skill players are "dialed in at all times, ready for anything, and hyper-focused on doing their jobs".    The point I (and someone else) are making is that in fact, those "dialed in at all times, ready for anything, hyper focused" rest of the team make mistakes or have miscues sometimes. 

Fans like to scapegoat players sometimes, and then we get confirmation bias taking a hand.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I posted this in another thread, but this hating on McK for the fumble is most likely misplaced.

From his own description of the play:

“It was a miscommunication,” McKenzie said. “It was a screen to the left, a handoff to me, but the D-end came up field. I wasn’t supposed to get the ball. I looked back, I thought he threw the screen, and then I looked back and he threw it to me. I’m like, ‘that wasn’t the play.’ I was thrown off. It hit my facemask, but I can’t, we can’t … the play is on nobody. It is what it is, but that wasn’t the play. At the end of the day, it’s all on us.”

From my view, I agree...it didn't look like he was supposed to get the ball like that.

• Like (+1) 3

Sorry guys, he had to go, the fumble screen could have been a killer and the endzone drop was horrible. He also dropped 2 other balls. Can't have that. I love the guy but he is now a liability.  Loyalty is a wonderful thing but you got to think of the team first.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Sorry guys, he had to go, the fumble screen could have been a killer and the endzone drop was horrible. He also dropped 2 other balls. Can't have that. I love the guy but he is now a liability.  Loyalty is a wonderful thing but you got to think of the team first.

The end zone drop on the ball thrown behind him after we ran for 7 yards on first down then threw on 2nd and 3rd?  Yup we have to blame one guy for all of those things I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The end zone drop on the ball thrown behind him after we ran for 7 yards on first down then threw on 2nd and 3rd?  Yup we have to blame one guy for all of those things I suppose.

He doesn't have good hands, it's been a problem for 3 years now. 

That was an incredibly bad game and I have seen many Bills benched for less. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm a huge fan of his, but Shakir should be getting more snaps than him at this point. Dude lacks focus. 

I'm pretty much with you on this.  It's to the point where the snaps should be reversed for the 2.

As to the tone of the thread.

I can do without the hateful trolling being done but these posters who have to be outraged or they just are not happy.

They are sinking into childish name calling.  I almost wish McKenzie would have a great game just to piss these guys off.

Make no mistake about it, they would be pissed.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

All respect I think you're wrong. Josh cut up field because the play is intended to make a def player commit, once a commitment is made is when josh either keeps or flips.

There's really no excuse for not being ready when you are the option. Especially nit with an aggressive player like josh.. he acted like this was a random uncalled lateral 

The play was never supposed to go to McKenzie which is why he wasn’t looking per Josh and McKenzie. That explains why he wasn’t looking. Sal discussed it this morning.  I will say McKenzie’s mistake was trying to pick the ball up instead of just trying to cover it up. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thank you.

Been saying it all along. He isnt mentally sharp or focused enough to be part of this team.

It always something with this dude.

Josh, Diggs, Davis, Knox are all dialed-in at all times, ready for anything, and hyper focused on doing their jobs. McK is obviously not.

He is a liability, and I do not trust him one bit out on the field with the Super Bowl in the balance. It is 100% Shakir time, and only go to McKenzie if we have no other choice.

Rumor is he had to leave UGA early due to poor grades. It was either move on to the draft or become academically ineligible. 

Just now, FireChans said:

Oh man I didn’t realize he had a single good game a year ago. Pay the man!

Just now, HOUSE said:

You have to be consistent in The NFL. HE IS NOT....

He had a rough game yesterday.  Not all of it was on him as it is being painted.  The End zone throw was behind him and he slipped.  It followed two consecutive bad play calls.  If you’re going to dump guys every time they have a tough game you are going to have a small roster.  Shouldn’t we cut all 3 guys that missed the JuJu tackle too?

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Rumor is he had to leave UGA early due to poor grades. It was either move on to the draft or become academically ineligible. 

Seriously?  Rumors about bad grades in college?  Shirley

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

He had a rough game yesterday.  Not all of it was on him as it is being painted.  The End zone throw was behind him and he slipped.  It followed two consecutive bad play calls.  If you’re going to dump guys every time they have a tough game you are going to have a small roster.  Shouldn’t we cut all 3 guys that missed the JuJu tackle too?

It’s not just yesterday. McKenzie leads our team, imo, in skill players causing back breaking plays. 

He coughed up the pick against the Rams. He had the failure to run out of bounds debacle. The TO yesterday. The drops.

Statistically, he may have the most negative impact on our offense’s DVOA. 

Now that doesn’t mean cut him. But if you weren’t sweating a McKenzie fumble in the second half on KR to lose us the game yesterday, I call you a liar lol. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Dude just came back from a concussion. I wouldnt go all in on ripping him to shreds. Calm down a bit. Maybe he’s not feeling right yet. 

Then he shouldn’t be playing and in concussion protocol instead. 

His hands are terrible that’s the problem 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Look, he plays a key roll for Buffalo, he is suppose to be a better version of Cole Beasley.  Cole Beasley would have caught every one of those passes. McD and Ken Dorsey will make changes after that game, you can be sure. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That was an easy catch if he didn’t trip. Might of been behind but it was still an easy catch… He’s got a part in this O he’s just not reliable to be that slot guy. The negative plays are drive killers and sometimes knocking points off the board.  10 points (maybe 14) were left off the board yesterday because of plays to him. The first 3 drives ended with the ball going off his hands and hitting the ground. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

It’s not just yesterday. McKenzie leads our team, imo, in skill players causing back breaking plays. 

He coughed up the pick against the Rams. He had the failure to run out of bounds debacle. The TO yesterday. The drops.

Statistically, he may have the most negative impact on our offense’s DVOA. 

Now that doesn’t mean cut him. But if you weren’t sweating a McKenzie fumble in the second half on KR to lose us the game yesterday, I call you a liar lol. 

I’m not saying he is the perfect player but starting threads for the sole purpose of calling a player that has contributed a dummy is ridiculous.  People piling on in the thread…..almost as ridiculous.  It’s happened with Edmunds for quite a while.  He is having a strong year so on we move to another target.  It’s stupid.

And if we’re going to call someone out fine, but at least be accurate.  The end zone throw was on Allen, not McK.  It was at worst a 50/50 split.  Should we dump on Allen?  Obviously not, but let’s not be inaccurate about what happened on that play in an effort to bash someone else.

And the OO bounds “debacle”?  Shirley.  He had to outrun three guys for 50 yards with heatstroke to get a whiff of the sideline on that play.  

Right now he is playing ahead of a rookie….it may not last long but that rookie blew a pivotal block when Gabe was out……and don’t forget 6 is only in because Crowder is out….and Crowder hasn’t exactly been on point thus far.

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Look, he plays a key roll for Buffalo, he is suppose to be a better version of Cole Beasley.  Cole Beasley would have caught every one of those passes. McD and Ken Dorsey will make changes after that game, you can be sure. 

He is supposed to be a gadget player and Crowder’s backup.  Don’t make up crap about him being expected to be Beasley plus.  His contract indicates nothing of the sort nor did his role before Crowder’s injury.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

That was an easy catch if he didn’t trip. Might of been behind but it was still an easy catch… He’s got a part in this O he’s just not reliable to be that slot guy. The negative plays are drive killers and sometimes knocking points off the board.  10 points (maybe 14) were left off the board yesterday because of plays to him. The first 3 drives ended with the ball going off his hands and hitting the ground. 

Lol he tripped trying to adjust to the ball while a near full speed.  We also left points off the board o that drive by not running on either 2nd or 3rd after motor got 7 on first and the push had been there all day.  Fire Dorsey too?  Or is McKenzie the entire reason for that stalled drive?

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bad grades in college ?

I think we're all guilty of that

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not saying he is the perfect player but starting threads for the sole purpose of calling a player that has contributed a dummy is ridiculous.  People piling on in the thread…..almost as ridiculous.  It’s happened with Edmunds for quite a while.  He is having a strong year so on we move to another target.  It’s stupid.

And if we’re going to call someone out fine, but at least be accurate.  The end zone throw was on Allen, not McK.  It was at worst a 50/50 split.  Should we dump on Allen?  Obviously not, but let’s not be inaccurate about what happened on that play in an effort to bash someone else.

And the OO bounds “debacle”?  Shirley.  He had to outrun three guys for 50 yards with heatstroke to get a whiff of the sideline on that play.  

Right now he is playing ahead of a rookie….it may not last long but that rookie blew a pivotal block when Gabe was out……and don’t forget 6 is only in because Crowder is out….and Crowder hasn’t exactly been on point thus far.

He is supposed to be a gadget player and Crowder’s backup.  Don’t make up crap about him being expected to be Beasley plus.  His contract indicates nothing of the sort nor did his role before Crowder’s injury.

Edmunds is having a good year so he’s getting less grief than a guy who is not having a good year is not the own you think it is lol

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Edmunds is having a good year so he’s getting less grief than a guy who is not having a good year is not the own you think it is lol

The point……which you missed…..is that it is unnecessary to feel the need to find someone to bash in the first place.  There is a difference between a coherent discussion of details and starting a thread simply to pile on a player with name calling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On a related topic, how was the fumble by Lil D attributed to Allen? Isn’t it just like if Allen had pitched the ball back to a RB on a sweep who drops and ball? That one wouldn’t be on the QB, would it? 

I was afraid they were going to nail Josh on that.  Josh was the last bill with possession of it so it makes sense.

BTW, on the fumble Naace said "he never saw the ball coming" or something akin to that which is totally bogus.  McKenzie saw is put both hands up and let it dropped through them. A shockingly bad whiff imo.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Good thing some of you folks aren't in charge of personnel, otherwise Knox would have been gone a long time ago.

oh please, there is a difference between a 2 year guy learning the position at the NFL level and now a 5+ year vet that never broke 300 yards in a season.

your statement is crazy. Last year Knox had a 500 yard year. after 5 years in the league you should not be a "work in progress" ... come on man... not with the younger depth behind him.

Good thing you're not our GM.  in my opinion after KC game, McKenzie lost his #3 WR position.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.