Lil' Dummy McKenzie.........offical team character builder

BADOLBILZ

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m over him. Bummed we signed him to an extension, speed notwithstanding. ‘Face of the franchise’ was funny. It’s old now and his play doesn’t rate a starting position. 

I supported him 100% because I did not want the ex-Jet scrub starting, let alone on the team. Too bad he looked pretty Jet-sy against KC. :(

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Where does it state that in the rule?  The rule only states this:

Item 3: Stopping Clock A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

Item 4: Delayed Spike A passer, after delaying his passing action for strategic purposes, is prohibited from throwing the ball to the ground in front of him, even though he is under no pressure from defensive rusher(s).

Read the last half of the rule book, which shows the approved rulings, which apply the rule book and clarify.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:05 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Lil' Dummy is doing a bang up job of keeping would-be blowouts close with drops and turnovers......general physical awkwardness......and dumb decisions that cause Ken Dorsey to smash his hardware.

Sure.........they could be 6-0,  scoring 35 points per game with a better slot receiver and McKenzie on the sideline(like last week against Pittsburgh)..........but his bumbling has helped them learn how to win unnecessarily close games.

Here's to Lil' Dummy...........making easy wins difficult.   Dude is a character builder. :beer:

8frc45.gif

Rest easy... Khalil will get there.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We're just gonna disagree.  McKittrick has made enough plays for me while here to be cutting him some slack.  I just don't understand those that want him gone.  We won the freaking AFC East last year because of him!  There's just way too much "what have you done for me lately" around here for my taste.

I just went back through the first 8 pages of this thread. There were a lot of complaints and detractors. Not a single one suggested to cut McKenzie. One poster mentioned using him in a potential trade package, but that's the most extreme suggestion made.

What the rest of us have said is that he should be moved back to #4 or #5 WR, and only used situationaly, like on jet sweeps. At least until he can prove himself again. That is literally how McD got such a great game out of him in New England; benching for mental mistakes that helped him find his focus.

He had a good game last year. He has a long and diverse history of mental errors as well.

Give Shakir a larger role, and let McKenzie earn his way back in.

Is that unreasonable? Do we disagree that much?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I just went back through the first 8 pages of this thread. There were a lot of complaints and detractors. Not a single one suggested to cut McKenzie. One poster mentioned using him in a potential trade package, but that's the most extreme suggestion made.

What the rest of us have said is that he should be moved back to #4 or #5 WR, and only used situationaly, like on jet sweeps. At least until he can prove himself again. That is literally how McD got such a great game out of him in New England; benching for mental mistakes that helped him find his focus.

He had a good game last year. He has a long and diverse history of mental errors as well.

Give Shakir a larger role, and let McKenzie earn his way back in.

Is that unreasonable? Do we disagree that much?

You missed the GDT.  Plenty of bench him, trade him, cut him posts there.  This thread is just piling on.  I especially liked the ones that said he shouldn't suit up for the SB if we get there.  I disagree that benching him helped, and I disagree that he has a long and diverse history of mental errors.  He does have a long history of making plays, first downs, and clutch catches and runs.  No problem with giving Shakir more touches, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on McKittrick.  He's earned some slack with me, but clearly a lot of posters here don't want him anywhere near the field.

30 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You missed the GDT.  Plenty of bench him, trade him, cut him posts there.  This thread is just piling on.  I especially liked the ones that said he shouldn't suit up for the SB if we get there.  I disagree that benching him helped, and I disagree that he has a long and diverse history of mental errors.  He does have a long history of making plays, first downs, and clutch catches and runs.  No problem with giving Shakir more touches, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on McKittrick.  He's earned some slack with me, but clearly a lot of posters here don't want him anywhere near the field.

The GDT isn't canon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I wasn't in the game day thread...........I actually ATTEND all home games and watch the road games with much of the same tailgate contingent.........I'm not fiddling around on the internet with you neurotics during an actual game. :lol:   Never have, never will.   So piling on??   GTFOH Freddie.    Do you think only people who were in touch with the GDT on TSW could deduce how badly he's played this season?   You should see the outtakes from Stef Diggs uncle Charlie that they had to edit out!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dont ever reference the GDT. What happens in the GDT, stays in the GDT thread and does not reflect reality. It's why many of us stay away from the board completely on Sundays.

To the bold... well, ok man. You can disagree with what we've all seen with our own eyes. Even classic homers like myself.

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Do you think McD benched him for no reason?

I'm not sure how anyone can believe this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This is weird logic.  McK tripped trying to stop his route because the ball would have been behind him had he kept going on his route.  I think McK should have been able to stop his route and catch the ball but the ball was still thrown behind him.  You are looking at this as the ball was in good position where McK tripped but not taking into account he tripped because the ball placement forced him to stop his route immediately.

though we see dozens of balls any given game that pull guys away fro coverage, hits etc… 

he’s pointing out has he simply executed to stop it would’ve been a perfectly normal placement but because he tripped it made the placement seem more extreme than it would’ve looked with the receiver staying on his feet 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

though we see dozens of balls any given game that pull guys away fro coverage, hits etc… 

he’s pointing out has he simply executed to stop it would’ve been a perfectly normal placement but because he tripped it made the placement seem more extreme than it would’ve looked with the receiver staying on his feet 

Maybe - but I think the whole debate on it is interesting. I've seen the best receivers in the league fall down, and drop easy ones.  The offenses that McKenzie committed on Sunday don't warrant the somewhat over-the-top reaction on this thread - particularly since he is a guy who has come through for us before.

• Agree 1

I think Bills fans would like McKenzie to play well. It’s just difficult to get past the vaguely unsettling feeling that his next play could spell disaster. He’s shown some ability to make big plays but has just as many or more negative ones. As a player McKenzie is a contradiction. 

9 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

how about no one?

Clutch your pearls if that suits you.   Bad players getting jeered is part of the checks and balances of pro sports.

As a consumer,  if you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything and I don't think anyone wants to see would-be SB season come to a halt because a bad player just kept getting reps.    

Bill Polian was criticized for not replacing the increasingly weak-legged Scott Norwood after the 1989 season.   He was then terrible in 1990.........bottom third of league in fg % and atrocious on kickoffs.   But Polian was stubborn and Norwood was his find.   He left an unnecessarily very weak link in the lineup and lost a SB because of it.

Maybe you will drive in from Cheshire for the post SB loss parade where the crowd cheers for the cryin' Lil' Dirty at the podium after he drops the winning pass.........I'd prefer we bypass that and get a W instead. :beer:    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Clutch your pearls if that suits you.   Bad players getting jeered is part of the checks and balances of pro sports.

As a consumer,  if you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything and I don't think anyone wants to see would-be SB season come to a halt because a bad player just kept getting reps.    

Bill Polian was criticized for not replacing the increasingly weak-legged Scott Norwood after the 1989 season.   He was then terrible in 1990.........bottom third of league in fg % and atrocious on kickoffs.   But Polian was stubborn and Norwood was his find.   He left an unnecessarily very weak link in the lineup and lost a SB because of it.

Maybe you will drive in from Cheshire for the post SB loss parade where the crowd cheers for the cryin' Lil' Dirty at the podium after he drops the winning pass.........I'd prefer we bypass that and get a W instead. :beer:    

Fortunately, your "critiques" have no bearing on the Buffalo Bills or its collective decision making.

The distinction that you don't seem to understand is the difference between criticizing someone's performance vs. unfounded and rude personal attacks.

What do you hope to achieve? the entire crowd chanting "lil dummy" the next time he drops a pass? Would that make you feel better?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This is weird logic.  McK tripped trying to stop his route because the ball would have been behind him had he kept going on his route.  I think McK should have been able to stop his route and catch the ball but the ball was still thrown behind him.  You are looking at this as the ball was in good position where McK tripped but not taking into account he tripped because the ball placement forced him to stop his route immediately.

A pro receiver shouldn't have any trouble stopping his momentum and sitting down in an open area in zone coverage. In fact this scheme calls for it. This is one of those things where because the result was negative we're looking for excuses. If McKenzie had simply kept his balance and caught the ball as it hit him in the chest no one would be criticizing the pass for being behind him. Let's just call it what it was, a really bad game for McKenzie, and move on.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

I've seen the best receivers in the league fall down, and drop easy ones. 

Yeah, well, McKenzie isn't one of the best receivers in the league. When elite players have a bad game you accept that. When a gadget player with a history of clumsy play makes a series of possibly game changing mistakes in the most critical game of the season you can't just hand wave that away. McKenzie will still make some plays for us this year but I don't trust him in crunch time. Imagine it's 4th down on the last drive in the Super Bowl and someone tells you the ball is going to McKenzie. You're honestly telling me you feel comfortable in that moment?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A pro receiver shouldn't have any trouble stopping his momentum and sitting down in an open area in zone coverage. In fact this scheme calls for it. This is one of those things where because the result was negative we're looking for excuses. If McKenzie had simply kept his balance and caught the ball as it hit him in the chest no one would be criticizing the pass for being behind him. Let's just call it what it was, a really bad game for McKenzie, and move on.

Uh I already did that.  I said numerous times that McK should have been able to stop his route and catch the ball.  I even said it in the post you quoted.  McK sucked in this game and made mistakes.  That doesnt mean the pass wasnt behind and thats the reason why.  Im not making excuses for McK.  Im calling it as I see it.  McK should have been able to stop and catch the ball.  The ball was behind.  Both can be and are true.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Uh I already did that.  I said numerous times that McK should have been able to stop his route and catch the ball.  I even said it in the post you quoted.  McK sucked in this game and made mistakes.  That doesnt mean the pass wasnt behind and thats the reason why.  Im not making excuses for McK.  Im calling it as I see it.  McK should have been able to stop and catch the ball.  The ball was behind.  Both can be and are true.

Against zone coverage in this offense it is expected that the WR will stop his route. Throws are "behind" when a WR is running away from his man in coverage and has to make an awkward catch. This was a situation where Allen under pressure just had to get the ball to the zone that McKenzie ran into. So no I don't agree that the pass was behind him. I think Allen threw it to where he expected McKenzie to stop his route with wide open space all around him and McKenzie inexplicably tripped over his own feet. There's no need in that situation to lead the receiver. For 99% of slot receivers in the NFL that is a TD.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Against zone coverage in this offense it is expected that the WR will stop his route. Throws are "behind" when a WR is running away from his man in coverage and has to make an awkward catch. This was a situation where Allen under pressure just had to get the ball to the zone that McKenzie ran into. So no I don't agree that the pass was behind him. I think Allen threw it to where he expected McKenzie to stop his route with wide open space all around him and McKenzie inexplicably tripped over his own feet. There's no need in that situation to lead the receiver. For 99% of slot receivers in the NFL that is a TD.

Holy crap dude what do you not understand about what I said?  I literraly said numerous time that MCKENZIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO STOP HIS ROUTE AND CATCH THE BALL.  Here you are a second time arguing like Im saying he shounldnt or that he takes no blame there.  Please dude, I like you but read wtf I said.  You are too hung up on this because I said the ball was also behind.  Sorry but it was.  All QBs throw balls behind their receivers.  No one throws a perfect pass everytime.  Allen doesnt need these excuses.  There is nothing wrong with what Allen did.  Doesnt change anything I said.

99% of slot receivers in the NFL have also made similar mistakes.  Please dont act like receivers dont drop passes.

And further more that wasnt even zone coverage.  Not that it matters but it was all out pressure and man coverage.  You dont even know what you watched.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

And further more that wasnt even zone coverage.  Not that it matters but it was all out pressure and man coverage.  You dont even know what you watched.

You know what I found the play on Twitter and you're correct it is man coverage but no one actually covered McKenzie. Anyways this discussion has gotten really nitpicky. McKenzie had an awful game. I would like to see his role taken by Shakir. I'll leave it at that.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed.

It was just a bad game. I was thinking he missed that pitch from Allen because it was not expected. After watching the Shakir breakdown of plays and how he was blocking in front of McKenzie on that pitch, it was clear that the play was going to McKenzie. I just had not seen the right angles.

...and that pass in the end zone, he leaves his feet and dives forward for no apparent reason when if he just kept his balance, the ball was very catchable.

It happens. If he is a competitor, he comes back with a redemption type game.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes, your mean-spirited, third-grade name calling is definitely an important part of the "checks and balances" that will help Beane and McDermott make the right personnel decisions so we can finally win the Super Bowl. Thank you for your service. I wish you had made up an equally clever name for Norwood in 1990 so we could have won SB XXV as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

Maybe - but I think the whole debate on it is interesting. I've seen the best receivers in the league fall down, and drop easy ones.  The offenses that McKenzie committed on Sunday don't warrant the somewhat over-the-top reaction on this thread - particularly since he is a guy who has come through for us before.

“has come through for us before” is a bit much. He’s an nfl player. Of course he has caught a few balls. Patriots game aside he’s shown only flashes of the upside and has also had so many issues that he was benched. We aren’t a 5-11 team and he is a lot of risk for very modest rewards 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s also a guy who’s demonstrated he’s a ducking spaz who lacks smarts on the football field more often than not…. I’d hate to see him getting significant snaps come playoff time. JMO. 

we have seen plenty of guys that can make a play but aren’t players.

to be even on the practice squad you have to be a pretty capable specimen. He should show flashes. He shouldn’t show so many poor plays 

31 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Holy crap dude what do you not understand about what I said?  I literraly said numerous time that MCKENZIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO STOP HIS ROUTE AND CATCH THE BALL.  Here you are a second time arguing like Im saying he shounldnt or that he takes no blame there.  Please dude, I like you but read wtf I said.  You are too hung up on this because I said the ball was also behind.  Sorry but it was.  All QBs throw balls behind their receivers.  No one throws a perfect pass everytime.  Allen doesnt need these excuses.  There is nothing wrong with what Allen did.  Doesnt change anything I said.

99% of slot receivers in the NFL have also made similar mistakes.  Please dont act like receivers dont drop passes.

You literally criticized the ball placement on an accurately thrown football and are now pretending that you did not.    The ball was where it was supposed to be for that coverage.

He's Lil' Dummy because he regularly has mental errors/concentration lapses that you don't expect from a veteran player.   He shouldn't be struggling with reading coverages.........he shouldn't be unnecessarily drifting or rounding off routes........his footwork should be second nature.   It's his job to be prepared and not to stack errors upon errors in games.    He has plenty of physical talent to be a serviceable starting NFL slot receiver........but he just does A LOT of dumb things.    He's lost every job he's been given in the NFL and it's trending that way once again.    He is not trustworthy.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s also a guy who’s demonstrated he’s a ducking spaz who lacks smarts on the football field more often than not…. I’d hate to see him getting significant snaps come playoff time. JMO. 

We need an upgrade it’s as simple as that  , I would give Shakir more snaps and see if he can take advantage of an opportunity , and if not then we need to make a move slot is an important position in our offense !! 

25 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Yes, your mean-spirited, third-grade name calling is definitely an important part of the "checks and balances" that will help Beane and McDermott make the right personnel decisions so we can finally win the Super Bowl. Thank you for your service. I wish you had made up an equally clever name for Norwood in 1990 so we could have won SB XXV as well.

Were you in the Tom Brady schadenfreude threads whining about "mean spirited" comments?   If not, STFU you hypocrite. :lol:

"Last Guy on the Bench" sounds right for Lil' Dummy.   

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a fan favorite for some reason… but he’s a guy that will cost them in a close game with some egregious mental error or just lack of focus to make a play. 

Gradually cost his snaps as the season progresses. 

He may very well have already cost them the Dolphins game.  It was only a tying field goal attempt but he definitely cost them that. 

And according to some people(:rolleyes:) he cost Ken Dorsey a chance at a head coaching job when he lost his composure after Lil' Dummy's dopey dash ended the game.

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He may very well have already cost them the Dolphins game.  It was only a tying field goal attempt but he definitely cost them that. 

I hate to interrupt your tirade, but would have been a game winning field goal. We lost 21-19. Just saying. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some are complaining that calling McKenzie "Lil' Dummy" is mean spirited.

Yet McKenzie made fun of Hyde's season-ending and potentially career-threatening neck injury (Hyde couldn't believe it and, funnily enough, did not find it funny).

So do we really need to watch what we say about a mistake-prone player who likes to dish out the worst kind of humor himself? 🤔

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Some are complaining that calling McKenzie "Lil' Dummy" is mean spirited.

Yet McKenzie made fun of Hyde's season-ending and potentially career-threatening neck injury (Hyde couldn't believe it and, funnily enough, did not find it funny).

So do we really need to watch what we say about a mistake-prone player who likes to dish out the worst kind of humor himself? 🤔

I don't have nearly the issue with calling him a dummy as I do it coming from somebody who doesn't know how to spell official.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You know what I found the play on Twitter and you're correct it is man coverage but no one actually covered McKenzie. Anyways this discussion has gotten really nitpicky. McKenzie had an awful game. I would like to see his role taken by Shakir. I'll leave it at that.

yes agree. I also agree mck had a bad game and shakir should get more snaps

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And according to some people(:rolleyes:) he cost Ken Dorsey a chance at a head coaching job when he lost his composure after Lil' Dummy's dopey dash ended the game.

that’s the same as saying Allen cost the game because he threw the pass into the dirt with wide open mck 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You literally criticized the ball placement on an accurately thrown football and are now pretending that you did not.    The ball was where it was supposed to be for that coverage.

He's Lil' Dummy because he regularly has mental errors/concentration lapses that you don't expect from a veteran player.   He shouldn't be struggling with reading coverages.........he shouldn't be unnecessarily drifting or rounding off routes........his footwork should be second nature.   It's his job to be prepared and not to stack errors upon errors in games.    He has plenty of physical talent to be a serviceable starting NFL slot receiver........but he just does A LOT of dumb things.    He's lost every job he's been given in the NFL and it's trending that way once again.    He is not trustworthy.

Nope what I said was the pass was behind.  McK tripped stopping his route. I also said McK should have been able to stop his route and catch that ball. Ive said and maintained this the entire way.  Im not pretending anything.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The drop/bobble turned INT in week 1 was also awful. 

You mean Josh Allen's first "interception" of the season? :lol:   As I've said........Lil' Dummy is the teams biggest turnover threat.

Every time an opposing team kicks off I breathe a sigh of relief when it's a touchback.   He has 9 fumbles on just 47 career kick returns.   And ZERO touchdowns and just a 22 yard per return average.  

That's unfathomable.   He could return his next 5 for TD's and still be far in the red for his impact as a KOR man.:doh: 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

that’s the same as saying Allen cost the game because he threw the pass into the dirt with wide open mck 

Really?  The exact same?

Allen threw 60 passes in that game and made numerous plays almost nobody in the league could.   They aren't in that game without his extraordinary skills.   He gets a pass for an occasional physical error like that in a big spot.  

McKenzie is just a role player who is too lacking in self awareness and attention span to understand his limitations and prepare accordingly.   When the ball is in his hands he needs to know those limitations and not make mental errors.   I have no confidence in that happening because he thinks he's the fastest player in the league and has not taken accountability for his errors.   Like I said,  he was critical of McD for benching him after this beauty:

maxresdefault.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.