Baldy's Breakdowns from last night's demolition

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Was getting mocked in the shoutbox but I still think Ken is a big improvement over Dabol from a play calling standpoint. I guess we will see what it looks like in more adverse situations to pass final judgement but it just seemed like more of a pro offense. More screens, runs on first down. Just made more sense. No whacky gadget plays. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 14

24 minutes ago, Luka said:

Was getting mocked in the shoutbox but I still think Ken is a big improvement over Dabol from a play calling standpoint. I guess we will see what it looks like in more adverse situations to pass final judgement but it just seemed like more of a pro offense. More screens, runs on first down. Just made more sense. No whacky gadget plays. 

Agree. I think Daboll was good but I just think we’re in for a sweet sweet surprise with Dorsey. He has done and seen it all on every level. Daboll was a HS QB 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Dorsey learned under some really good OCs and played under one of the better OCs in college (at that time). I think he has makings of a really good long term OC eventual head coach

• Like (+1) 3

i like these but find it strange that cover 1 seems to not get the views/plays on you tube that i would think mafia wants. tons of content all 22 breakdowns if thats your thing. if your not subscribed and like deep dives show them support.

👍🏻

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, Luka said:

Why would anyone mock you?  The proof was right there on video.

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why would anyone mock you?  The proof was right there on video.

It was "too soon" hot take. But I mean, all through preseason and then into last night the play calling just looked different. Way more screens, shorter routes. I think the difference is that Ken seems to build up to shot plays. Gets the defense in close, spreads them out horizontally and makes them respect the edges. The big play to Davis where the Rams incorrectly guessed short pass and brought pressure was built up to. Gave Allen an extremely favorable look and we know the results. Allen's completion percentage speaks to this. He was being given high percentage throws all night.

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Finally some love for Motor's blitz pickup on the long Gabe Davis play!  It jumped out at me during the game but not a peep from Collinsworth cause he don't know...  Go to 9:27 and behold.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just want to say that Not all of these plays were designed by Ken Dorsey

The bills ran the first Concept multiple times over the years with Daboll and and scored on it 

Not sure who this is for but I'm speaking of play calling, not design. The strategy and tempo is all being handled by Ken. There are only so many plays so I don't think modern OCs can be given credit for actual play design, everything is derivative in a 100+ year old sport. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

Hopefully Joe Brady is learning all the ins and outs of this offense. Probley won't be long intell he's OC lol. Dorsey will Def be snatched up by someone soon. 

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Or elevated here. 

I don't think McD plans to leave any time soon, and short of a total collapse, I can't see him getting fired. If Dorsey gets a HC position, it'll be somewhere else. Hopefully college or somewhere in the NFC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

That first tweet (the run fake on 3rd and 1) was probably my favorite play call of the game, and it was perfectly executed by the offense.

After that play call I had the same reaction as Baldinger. I was like, ok I’m not worried about Dorsey. He’s for real.

Same here. I actually posted in the GDT.... We can put the concerns about Dorsey to bed. Beautiful play call and design, as well as execution.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Luka said:

Not sure who this is for but I'm speaking of play calling, not design. The strategy and tempo is all being handled by Ken. There are only so many plays so I don't think modern OCs can be given credit for actual play design, everything is derivative in a 100+ year old sport. 

Basically Most concepts have been ran because football is 100+years old

That doesn’t mean every coach puts every concept into their playbook tho

That play design was a favorite of dabolls is all I’m saying

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Can someone send Baldy some professional equipment? His audio isn't great and it looks like he's watching the game on his TV and recording it with his phone. 

He does a rush job on a per-play basis, then does a more polished version later.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

Can someone send Baldy some professional equipment? His audio isn't great and it looks like he's watching the game on his TV and recording it with his phone. 

That is basically what he is doing - just instead of a TV - a monitor with the game film cut down and loaded to it.

He does it like that to turn it around and get the content out - similar to how these guys would watch film in preparation.

I love it.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I don't think McD plans to leave any time soon, and short of a total collapse, I can't see him getting fired. If Dorsey gets a HC position, it'll be somewhere else. Hopefully college or somewhere in the NFC.

After last year's brutal collapse in the playoffs, if he does something similar again it won't be his decision. 

The Bills are trying to win a Chamionship, and if someone can't execute you need to make the tough decision, that includes coaches. 

• Disagree 4

So this is Great Stuff @JÂy RÛßeÒ, thanks for posting.

I just noticed something else about this play design.  It was a "fake within a fake".

Watch carefully at 1:10.  Morse has handed off his guy and is running towards the R sideline in parallel with Allen, just as Gabe Davis releases and turns upfield. 

The reason that Ramsey and #52 let Davis go, is that *Morse and Allen plus the timing and manner of Davis release* have persuaded them that Allen is going to run, Morse is going to block them for him and Davis is going to block downfield.  Neither Ramsey nor #52 want to handle Morse and Allen alone. 

So they leave Davis to the safety.  They totally bought it.

Here's the thing.  Daboll used to design these "fake within a fake" plays, and I can't remember one that worked.  We'd get an OLman going too far downfield before Allen threw it and it would be an "ineligible man downfield" penalty or something.  The timing on this, and the discipline of the OL to stay with the play but stay engaged in a block or stay behind the LOS, was just impeccable.

Or, the play design just didn't seem to make sense from the perspective of how a defender actually sees the field and reads his keys.  No one was fooled.

This worked.

In fact, in general for Dorsey's playcalling sequence, I felt that the plays just made sense together.

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

That play to Davis was brilliant. 

I don't want to overreact but Dabol might have been holding this O back a bit

They ran that play and scored on it multiple times while Daboll was here. Pretty sure that's one Dorsey borrowed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

So this is Great Stuff @JÂy RÛßeÒ, thanks for posting.

I just noticed something else about this play design.  It was a "fake within a fake".

Watch carefully at 1:10.  Morse has handed off his guy and is running towards the R sideline in parallel with Allen, just as Gabe Davis releases and turns upfield. 

The reason that Ramsey and #52 let Davis go, is that *Morse and Allen plus the timing and manner of Davis release* have persuaded them that Allen is going to run, Morse is going to block them for him and Davis is going to block downfield.  Neither Ramsey nor #52 want to handle Morse and Allen alone. 

So they leave Davis to the safety.  They totally bought it.

Here's the thing.  Daboll used to design these "fake within a fake" plays, and I can't remember one that worked.  We'd get an OLman going too far downfield before Allen threw it and it would be an "ineligible man downfield" penalty or something.  The timing on this, and the discipline of the OL to stay with the play but stay engaged in a block or stay behind the LOS, was just impeccable.

Or, the play design just didn't seem to make sense from the perspective of how a defender actually sees the field and reads his keys.  No one was fooled.

This worked.

In fact, in general for Dorsey's playcalling sequence, I felt that the plays just made sense together.

Although I agree in principle that we had several issues - Cover 1 showed a video of this exact play being used by Daboll several times over the last couple of years and it worked with great success.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just want to say that Not all of these plays were designed by Ken Dorsey

The bills ran the first Concept multiple times over the years with Daboll and and scored on it 

All good OCs use plays they have seen before, ( to include Dabol) it is in how they are implemented and the efficiency that they are carried out that will separate Dorsey from Dabol. No one ever said Dabol’s play sheets were like looking at a “perfect mind”  Dorsey on the other hand…, 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

All good OCs use plays they have seen before, it is how they are implemented and the efficiency that they are carried out that will separate Dorsey from Dabol. No one ever said Dabol’s play sheets were like looking at a “perfect mind”  Dorsey on the other hand…, 

Go Bills!!!

I don’t put too much into one game positive or negative via a coaching standpoint

He will call good games and he will call bad games that is an absolute fact

He was unemployed and out of football before the bills hired him that’s also a fact… He wasn’t a savant without a job

He’s in the best possible situation with the best quarterback in the world.. And I hope he does the best

But Daboll absolutely played a huge part in Josh’s development over the years

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t put too much into one game positive or negative via a coaching standpoint

He will call good games and he will call bad games that is an absolute fact

He was unemployed and out of football before the bills hired him that’s also a fact… He wasn’t a savant without a job

He’s in the best possible situation with the best quarterback in the world.. And I hope he does the best

But Daboll absolutely played a huge part in Josh’s development over the years

Not saying Dabol didn’t help Josh a lot, I am saying that Dorsey will be smoother in play calling, Dorsey does have the benefit of a better overall offensive coaching staff, Kromer, cough cough, etc, as well Dorsey embraces the run game more so that Dabol ever did, and that will work to his benefit. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.