Baldy's Breakdowns from last night's demolition

JÂy RÛßeÒ

10 hours ago, Luka said:

Was getting mocked in the shoutbox but I still think Ken is a big improvement over Dabol from a play calling standpoint. I guess we will see what it looks like in more adverse situations to pass final judgement but it just seemed like more of a pro offense. More screens, runs on first down. Just made more sense. No whacky gadget plays. 

Dorsey called a strong game, too many designed QB runs but other that nippick not much to complain about. I would say he is better than Daboll just yet but I wouldn’t be shocked if in 2 months most people are saying that.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That first tweet (the run fake on 3rd and 1) was probably my favorite play call of the game, and it was perfectly executed by the offense.

After that play call I had the same reaction as Baldinger. I was like, ok I’m not worried about Dorsey. He’s for real.

The Bills ran this play twice last year, once with Gabe and the other time with Knox and they both went for TD’s.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They ran that play and scored on it multiple times while Daboll was here. Pretty sure that's one Dorsey borrowed.

Beat me to it

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I don't think McD plans to leave any time soon, and short of a total collapse, I can't see him getting fired. If Dorsey gets a HC position, it'll be somewhere else. Hopefully college or somewhere in the NFC.

Well, there is 1 thing that can be done to make it more difficult for poachers. Like Frazier, add Asst. HC to his title. Now he HAS to be offered HC per League rules to be poached. But we’re getting waaaaay ahead of ourselves here..

15 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

After last year's brutal collapse in the playoffs, if he does something similar again it won't be his decision. 

The Bills are trying to win a Chamionship, and if someone can't execute you need to make the tough decision, that includes coaches. 

Completely disagree with the overall claim in the post…I think it would take quite a few years of first round playoff exits for the bills to move on from mcd.   but to partially play along I think McDermott probably learned his lesson with calling timeouts after seeing the offensive formation which was partially responsible for that long completion to Kelce.  

• Agree 1

Great breakdowns.

I'm a frequent critic of Gilliam but that was a nice lead block on the Singletary run.

On the same play Davis needs to keep his head up. He exposed his neck to injury trying to block the safety. They teach not to do that in pee wee.

Also a frequent critic of Epenesa, and he played well too. He flashed last year and then disappeared.  Hopefully he sustains this year.

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Basically Most concepts have been ran because football is 100+years old

That doesn’t mean every coach puts every concept into their playbook tho

That play design was a favorite of dabolls is all I’m saying

If you're talking about faking the run to the left with slides/pulling while it's either a boot or a pass to the R, yeah, that's a standard play and Daboll ran that.

The Devil is the Details though, and Damn! Those details.

Buffalo ran (2,2) on exactly 9 plays last season and 7 of those were actual runs.  Normally when it was a run fake, IIRC Daboll didn't go full-in with all the details that really really sell it.  The R guard lined up outside the TE on the L.  Lining a TE up as an OL across from a DE on the R.  The I formation with the pulling fullback.

Dorsey/Kromer threw the whole "Oh Yeah, 3 and 1, We're Coming For You!" tool box at that one complete in every detail and *ch-ching!* per Ramsey's interview quoted elsewhere, he totally closed the sale to the Rams.

And that's the difference I see - whether it's Daboll or Bobby Johnson or Joe Brady or Kromer - Daboll would install a play that previously worked.  But the little details would be wrong, or poorly executed - so it wouldn't fool the defense or would draw a penalty.  Example would be 3rd and 5 backward lateral to Devin Singletary midway through the 4th in the Pitt opener last season.  It was an old play that worked, but the details to "sell it" were wrong.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

If you're talking about faking the run to the left with slides/pulling while it's either a boot or a pass to the R, yeah, that's a standard play and Daboll ran that.

The Devil is the Details though, and Damn! Those details.

Buffalo ran (2,2) on exactly 9 plays last season and 7 of those were actual runs.  Normally when it was a run fake, IIRC Daboll didn't go full-in with all the details that really really sell it.  The R guard lined up outside the TE on the L.  Lining a TE up as an OL across from a DE on the R.  The I formation with the pulling fullback.

Dorsey/Kromer threw the whole "Oh Yeah, 3 and 1, We're Coming For You!" tool box at that one complete in every detail and *ch-ching!* per Ramsey's interview quoted elsewhere, he totally closed the sale to the Rams.

And that's the difference I see - whether it's Daboll or Bobby Johnson or Joe Brady or Kromer - Daboll would install a play that previously worked.  But the little details would be wrong, or poorly executed - so it wouldn't fool the defense or would draw a penalty.  Example would be 3rd and 5 backward lateral to Devin Singletary midway through the 4th in the Pitt opener last season.  It was an old play that worked, but the details to "sell it" were wrong.

The exact play where Davis blocked and slid out for a touchdown

We have hit for a touchdown multiple times in daboll era … Same concept last year… Ball goes through Kunerows hands wide open in end Zone

Edited by Buffalo716

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We have hit for a touchdown multiple times in daboll era … Same concept last year… Ball goes through Kunerows hands wide open in end Zone

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. 

My point is, while Daboll ran that play, I don't believe he ran it with the same details in the formation (2,2) personnel, I, with the RT outside the TE on the L and the RG pulling.  I think the details of the OL and blocking are Kromer's wrinkle.

I could be wrong

But if I'm right, I think it was the sum of those details that really sold the Rams all-in on "run, or if it's not a run it's a QB boot".

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. 

My point is, while Daboll ran that play, I don't believe he ran it with the same details in the formation (2,2) personnel, I, with the RT outside the TE on the L and the RG pulling.  I think the details of the OL and blocking are Kromer's wrinkle.

I could be wrong

But if I'm right, I think it was the sum of those details that really sold the Rams all-in on "run, or if it's not a run it's a QB boot".

I don’t remember the exact personnel he ran it with but I understand your point 

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Dorsey called a strong game, too many designed QB runs but other that nippick not much to complain about. I would say he is better than Daboll just yet but I wouldn’t be shocked if in 2 months most people are saying that.

He didn't really do that many designed runs, it was more Josh chose to run the ball himself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ask and you will receive - here's one of the versions Daboll ran, against the saints.  This was a successful TD to Knox. 

You can see that the details are different but the bones of the play are the same (pretty sure that what Baldy sees as TE are extra OLmen)
But the details - Knox crosses to the R side of the formation just before the snap.  Davis is out wide.  So then that draws some D attention away from the "Oh, they're gonna run it to the L" and brings it back to the R side of the formation.  Knox wins with superior athleticism and the play works fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ask and you will receive - here's one of the versions Daboll ran, against the saints.  This was a successful TD to Knox. 

You can see that the details are different but the bones of the play are the same (pretty sure that what Baldy sees as TE are extra OLmen)
But the details - Knox crosses to the R side of the formation just before the snap.  Davis is out wide.  So then that draws some D attention away from the "Oh, they're gonna run it to the L" and brings it back to the R side of the formation.  Knox wins with superior athleticism and the play works fine. 

same concept here

Pulled a guard and everything to sell run 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 9/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, billsfan89 said:

They didn't start the designed runs until the second half, but I agree...at least on the ones that leave Allen in the middle of the field to take hits by DL and LBs

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah I have seen variations of that play many times under Daboll...not sure why people acted like this was the first time they ever saw it...perhaps it's just because it's been a while haha

On 9/10/2022 at 6:01 AM, Magox said:

The Bills ran this play twice last year, once with Gabe and the other time with Knox and they both went for TD’s.

Beat me to it

For me, it was more about it being the perfect play call for the situation.

Edited by BillsFan4

On 9/9/2022 at 7:45 PM, billsfan89 said:

I read somewhere that there were 4 designed runs and that 5 of the carries were pass plays where Josh pulled it down and ran.

However the box score shows 10 rushes... so maybe the 10th was the kneel down from victory formation for minus 1 yard?

24 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I read somewhere that there were 4 designed runs and that 5 of the carries were pass plays where Josh pulled it down and ran.

However the box score shows 10 rushes... so maybe the 10th was the kneel down from victory formation for minus 1 yard?

The 5 carries were mostly RPOs - Josh had multiple options to hand the ball to a RB, pass the ball or ultimately pull it down and run.

I think as the season wears on he will make different choices, but in front of his family and the nation - Josh will make choices to bet on himself in those cases.

What I think will be nice is for the next several weeks - defenses will bite toward Josh and probably leave something else open to attack.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

The 5 carries were mostly RPOs - Josh had multiple options to hand the ball to a RB, pass the ball or ultimately pull it down and run.

I think as the season wears on he will make different choices, but in front of his family and the nation - Josh will make choices to bet on himself in those cases.

What I think will be nice is for the next several weeks - defenses will bite toward Josh and probably leave something else open to attack.

I have to think the coaching staff will either not call RPO's or tell Josh he needs to not take risks running the ball during the regular season. Hopefully Josh gets the message.

Three clips in a row where you can see the Edmunds effect and not one post here on it. The middle of the field was just not available for Stafford. Any clue as to why!?!? He had to resort to no look side arm throws trying to trick our defensive QB. Ever see a horse with blinders on?

image.thumb.jpeg.b1d6bccfd8335a6f4c39bffef12a308f.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/9/2022 at 1:27 PM, Wyobills89 said:

Hopefully Joe Brady is learning all the ins and outs of this offense. Probley won't be long intell he's OC lol. Dorsey will Def be snatched up by someone soon. 

I hope at least not until Dorsey has proven to be a super bowl winning OC a couple of times over !!! GO BILLS !!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.