Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Way to miss the point. The point is that people (stupid ones) trashed manning until he won a SB. 

the Ravens have a bottom 5 reviving core and they win 70% of games Jackson plays in. Dude has won a mvp and been a very good, albeit different nfl qb. Too many haters. 

Not a hater.  He is a good QB. Just not an elite QB when the playoffs arrive. He is the same QB in the regular season as the playoffs.  He can't elevate his game.  That is pretty obvious after watching his playoff performances.  He wants to be paid like he is an elite QB.  He isn't.  The Ravens understand he may not be the guy to take them to the promised land.  They aren't idiots like the terribly run Browns. 

21 hours ago, Dopey said:

According to spotrac, Allen averages $43 million per year. It’s not like he gave us a hometown discount. Sure he’s loyal, cuz the money was right. Another example is Bates. He’s not here due to loyalty, we matched the Bears offer or he was gone. Von wanted to play for the Cowboys, but we gave  him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Stop kidding yourselves, it’s about the money. 

Of course the money is always there.  Just seems Lamar want a lot more than Josh Allen.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:55 AM, SCBills said:

If Lamar turned down a 6yr / $290M contract with $133M guaranteed, on the reports that Jackson wants a fully guaranteed Watson deal… yikes. 

Ravens are in a really tough spot here.  

If true, he wants $40M more on the same year-term contract as Josh.  A bit lower in guarantees.

BUT when Josh signed a contract with $150M in guarantees it was signed in his 4th year of his rookie contract.

That $150M included his 4th and 5th year rookie contract guarantees.  (That's part of the agents "Look at me numbers").

Lamar is signing in his 5th year option year and is essentially the same as JAs contract guarantees and he wants a $40M increase.

Josh was smart IMO because he will play 2 years without injury worries on his signed contract.

Lamar is gambling with a lot of money, and I personally think he is a fool but he's a grown man and can do what he wants.

19 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't think any team is going to cough up 3 first round picks based on what we have seen him do on the field the last two years.  Maybe the first two years he played when there was heaps of potential and he was improving but he regressed in 2020, didn't pass for 3k yards (QB's should pass!), And just made bad reads behind a really good line.  He won't succeed. And it sucks. 

If he survives the season, starts every game it will be the first time in his career he does so... So I'd not count on it. 

It depends on how he plays this year. People are buying the false narrative that he can’t pass when he needs to.

19 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I think that it is plausible that to a degree, Lamar wishes to play elsewhere. If he gets paid via a convoy of Brinks Trucks, he'll take that as compensation for his trouble, and stay put.

I think that you are likely correct. I think he wants out of Roman’s offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We’ll check back in 10 years when his career is over. I believe you were the guy who thought Andy Reid would never win a super bowl too. 😉

We only have to wait until the playoffs this year...

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I like Lamar.  He's a good QB, but I think people are beginning to sour on him because he hasn't shown any progress (and might have actually regressed) since his transcendent MVP season.  So, he's now in year 5 and he's got one really elite season under his belt that came back in 2019, and he's otherwise been meh ('18 and '21)-to-goodish (2020).  That's really where much of the fan criticism is coming from, along with the Ravens' hesitancy to fully "break the bank" for him.  He's in a prove it year.  If he bounces back and shows that the '19 MVP season wasn't a fluke, he'll get paid handsomely.

The Browns gave Watkins 230 million despite this....

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and as great as the Ravens are at team building, they have done a terrible job putting receivers around him. They should have done a Diggs type trade for Jackson. He’s not a great passer but that team does him no favors. 

I'd argue that they've tried to provide him with weapons.  They've drafted 6 receiving threats in the first 3 rounds since 2018 (Brown, Bateman (both 1st rounders), Duvernay, Boykin, Hurst and Andrews).  That's a lot of draft capital spent at WR and TE to support Lamar Jackson.  Yes, we went out and traded for Diggs and signed Beasley, but we otherwise didn't go out and draft a bunch of weapons for Josh.  I think a lot of it comes down to Roman's system not really utilizing the WRs very much.  I think Lamar has had fine weapons (barring last season where everyone was dropping like flies) during his time there.  Brown is a good WR and they've been fairly stocked at RB and TE (obviously).  

Again.  I do think Lamar is a unique and very good QB - top 10 in my opinion - and deserves to be compensated accordingly.  I've never been one to say Lamar sucks or is a one trick pony.  People love to pit Lamar against Josh for reasons that have nothing to do with their play on the field.  I hope we can move past that and just appreciate these guys' individual greatness for what it is. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It depends on how he plays this year. People are buying the false narrative that he can’t pass when he needs to.

I think that you are likely correct. I think he wants out of Roman’s offense. 

It isn't a myth. He can pass when he needs to but only sometimes and most of the time misses wife open targets.

Biggest stage in a while he had was @ Buffalo and he was lousy. Wide open TD's, etc. That team was better than the Bills. We just played better. Baltimore should have won but Jackson choked. Missed reads, checked down, played hero ball and lost.

but he's not a great QB. He may deserve that money but that's because in 3 years it'll be only top 10 money and for that it's just ruining it for the rest of the league. 

Edited by Boyst62

TBH i think jackson 2nd best qb in the draft class and its not even close. I respect the guy he is a winner like Josh Allen. ravens win a lot of games with him.

But also TBH ravens have always been perennial contenders and they had great staff and team. Then again, it turns out so do we (now).

My understanding is the ravens did offer lamar a lot of money but he turn it down due to lack of guarantees.

Edited by BillsFan692

Probably not fair, but at 35-35 vs. MIAMI, Lamar makes one decent pass, a iffy PI and when one more first down may seal the win, didn't do much (bad 3rd down pass to Andrews) and a then a 47 yard fg.  

Plenty of time left for Miami who marches down and wins the game.

Still not 100% sure how good he is.

I thought LJ was real good on Sunday. He put up 38 points on the fish including that long run for a TD. Its not his fault the Ravens couldn't hold a 21 point lead in the second half. He doesn't deserve Allen money but he does deserve a huge contract from them. He has won a lot of games for the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

This guy has fallen fast the last two weeks. The Bills game was the precipice. He has unfortunately regressed and it will be said because the rest of his team is insufficient

Watching this game he has missed passes, overreacted, been awful for the QB position. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This guy has fallen fast the last two weeks. The Bills game was the precipice. He has unfortunately regressed and it will be said because the rest of his team is insufficient

Watching this game he has missed passes, overreacted, been awful for the QB position. 

It’s such a weird scenario now.  Will LJ take a smaller deal?  Will the Ravens actually take their chances with someone else and let him walk?

Edited by BillsfaninSB

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I think the MVP talk has gone to his head.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I think the MVP talk has gone to his head.

He was never a smart quarterback, or a skilled thrower. He was always a skilled athlete that played QB.

I really hope he can get the right QB building coach. He really could benefit from a Dorsey type when he was a QB coach. 

Would love to see him take a year behind another starting QB. Maybe a year or two off - he was always raw as a QB. 

But like you said, his head is swollen as a former MVP. He won't be a backup. And for that I hope he fails until he's ready to be humble. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

He was never a smart quarterback, or a skilled thrower. He was always a skilled athlete that played QB.

I really hope he can get the right QB building coach. He really could benefit from a Dorsey type when he was a QB coach. 

Would love to see him take a year behind another starting QB. Maybe a year or two off - he was always raw as a QB. 

But like you said, his head is swollen as a former MVP. He won't be a backup. And for that I hope he fails until he's ready to be humble. 

He has same problem as Jim Kelly has - he parties too much mostly with college crowd.

I have seen many photos of him locally in parties with dates during playing season some on dates when he was unavailable to practice.

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

come on… takes a year or two as a backup or out of the league? Because he won’t you hope he fails? 

you’ve got to be trolling at that point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

He has same problem as Jim Kelly has - he parties too much mostly with college crowd.

I have seen many photos of him locally in parties with dates during playing season some on dates when he was unavailable to practice.

Heard he also leaves town during the week to go elsewhere to party and go out. nYC, Florida, etc. Even just 24 hour jaunts. It's weird. 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Heard he also leaves town during the week to go elsewhere to party and go out. nYC, Florida, etc. Even just 24 hour jaunts. It's weird. 

Every now and then you hear one of these idiot pundits saying that Jackson is a better QB than Josh Allen......GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Cam had a charted jet after every game usually down to Atlanta. Buddy of mine was a member of his security. 

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

come on… takes a year or two as a backup or out of the league? Because he won’t you hope he fails? 

you’ve got to be trolling at that point 

No. Just strong opinioned. Dudes gotta reset. Learn to use his tools and develop some of the reads. He's been in the league this long and still can't read.

Year or two as a backup, btw. 

• Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He has been able to make only a few passes to wide receivers.

Because he keeps missing open targets. Today was gross. 

I'm not taking about Mac Jones open. I'm talking like MVP open. The 1 second window. The ones he thinks he should be able to make but can't. 

Edited by Boyst62

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Pls refrain from comparing Kelly to Lamar. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Packers might as well release Aaron Rodgers or name him their backup since he & Lamar are playing about the same the last few weeks.  

That's your card?  Of all cards... You played that?

Rodgers is a much better QB. IMO he's over hyped but he's tremendous and done more than Jackson. Has a ring and multiple playoff wins.  Jackson is 1-4. 1.... And 4.  Rodgers is 12-10.

Rodgers is in the backside of his career and couldn't draw top 5 money. Jackson won an MVP which IMO he didn't deserve. Rodgers has won 4.

I can only forgive such a bizzare take if you're like 20 years old.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Rodgers is in the backside of his career and couldn't draw top 5 money. Jackson won an MVP which IMO he didn't deserve. Rodgers has won 4.

He didn't deserve. Ravens had the #1 seed. Lamar ran for like 1,200 yards and 30 passing TD's. I'd have to go back and see what other numbers QB's were putting up that year. Who deserved it that year over Jackson?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ravens did offer lamar a ton of money he just refused it. Looking dumb now because all the pressure is on him and if he ends up falling off this season a lot of that money might be off the table altho i am aure he will still find a payday of sorts somewhere.

QBs sometimes get ejected quick from this league they can rise fast and also fall fast

There is no way this guy is elite.  He has constantly choked in games like he did today.  His MVP season was a mirage.

He is not = > Josh, Patrick, Justin and Joe & Watkins.

He does not deserve the highest contract & guaranteed money as a QB.  Nothing even close.

Sorry he is just a flash in the pan.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

That's your card?  Of all cards... You played that?

Rodgers is a much better QB. IMO he's over hyped but he's tremendous and done more than Jackson. Has a ring and multiple playoff wins.  Jackson is 1-4. 1.... And 4.  Rodgers is 12-10.

I can only forgive such a bizzare take if you're like 20 years old.

I guess I'll have to translate.  If you think so little of Lamar Jackson you know nothing about football.  Only a complete know nothing would claim he should be a backup.  I tried using sarcasm instead of calling you a know nothing because I didn't want to get personal, but I guess you didn't get it so next time I'll just call you what you are since you have no problem insulting others.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.