Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm glad Buffalo has a guy who's content and loyal to the team, but if I was a confidant to Lamar, I could not in good conscience advise him to be loyal to his team if he doesn't honestly feel that way. We don't know his true  situation or relationship to the team and staff. There's a huge pie being served to these highly profitable organisations and he should be getting the biggest piece he can. Who are we to judge.

According to spotrac, Allen averages $43 million per year. It’s not like he gave us a hometown discount. Sure he’s loyal, cuz the money was right. Another example is Bates. He’s not here due to loyalty, we matched the Bears offer or he was gone. Von wanted to play for the Cowboys, but we gave  him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Stop kidding yourselves, it’s about the money. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He can make $100 million guaranteed just playing on the franchise tag the next 2 seasons (after this one). So, about the same amount of guaranteed money in half the time.

Yeah it’s a risk. But it worked out pretty well for Cozens and I’d say Lamar is the better overall player. I can respect Lamar for being confident in his abilities and being willing to put his money where his mouth is.

but it’s definitely a risk.

Im sure glad we have Josh Allen. And I’m glad his #1 priority wasn’t just being the highest paid QB.

three years is a long time for a running qb.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, Boyst62 said:

If I'm him I go in to FA and look to head to Houston, Seattle, anywhere else.

I’ve been hearing Miami a lot 

Can’t believe they offered him Josh Allen money and he refused !! 
Never thought a RB would decline that kind of money 

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Methinks that Lamar, is looking forward to a bidding war, come Feb., for his services.

If he doesn't get flattened, in the meantime..

He knows how that’ll go too. He can refuse to sign the tag and force a trade. Then some team will cough up 3 first round picks plus some later ones as well as a fully guaranteed contract bigger than Watson’s. Just look at what some teams have at QB.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

He knows how that’ll go too. He can refuse to sign the tag and force a trade. Then some team will cough up 3 first round picks plus some later ones as well as a fully guaranteed contract bigger than Watson’s. Just look at what some teams have at QB.

I don't think any team is going to cough up 3 first round picks based on what we have seen him do on the field the last two years.  Maybe the first two years he played when there was heaps of potential and he was improving but he regressed in 2020, didn't pass for 3k yards (QB's should pass!), And just made bad reads behind a really good line.  He won't succeed. And it sucks. 

If he survives the season, starts every game it will be the first time in his career he does so... So I'd not count on it. 

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I was just going to post an article on this.  If this is true then Jackson is an idiot.

I would suggest that the person who offered him that much money may also have some issues with good sense.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He can make $100 million guaranteed just playing on the franchise tag the next 2 seasons (after this one). So, about the same amount of guaranteed money in half the time.

Yeah it’s a risk. But it worked out pretty well for Cozens and I’d say Lamar is the better overall player. I can respect Lamar for being confident in his abilities and being willing to put his money where his mouth is.

but it’s definitely a risk.

Im sure glad we have Josh Allen. And I’m glad his #1 priority wasn’t just being the highest paid QB.

lol, no.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

People pointing out how Lamar hit deep shots all day on the Jets, like SEE!!!

I even heard analysts doing it.  

Drives me crazy when people use the deep ball as proof a guy can QB. 

Most QB’s can dink, dunk and load up for a deep throw.   What separates the elite passers is the ability to read defenses, make progressions and throw in traffic.  Lamar struggles with all of it… and nothing he did today changes that. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Where does it end? At what point?

If you were a confidant to Lamar and the team offered him $1 BILLION, you would advise him to not take it if he doesn’t feel that way?

Not sure I understand this world where wise decisions are made on how we feel.

You're making the opposite point now. This is about money for Lamar. If they offered a billion, he would take it.

So, you must completely understand Lamar because this isn't about some loyal "feeling" towards the Ravens, it's about the bottom line.

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

According to spotrac, Allen averages $43 million per year. It’s not like he gave us a hometown discount. Sure he’s loyal, cuz the money was right. Another example is Bates. He’s not here due to loyalty, we matched the Bears offer or he was gone. Von wanted to play for the Cowboys, but we gave  him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Stop kidding yourselves, it’s about the money. 

I totally agree and that's my point with Lamar, but people like @Einsteinrag on him for being "selfish."

37 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're making the opposite point now. This is about money for Lamar. If they offered a billion, he would take it.

So, you must completely understand Lamar because this isn't about some loyal "feeling" towards the Ravens, it's about the bottom line.

I think you missed the point I was making.

You stated that if you were his confidant, you could not in good faith advise him to take less money to be loyal to his team if he did not feel that way.

So I asked you - at what point would your advice change? At what point would you tell him (as his confidant); “Dude you’re being an idiot. Take the money.”

At what point?

As a thought exercise (not rooted in reality), what if Lamar wanted more than a billion? Would you still tell him (as his confidant) to not sign and to keep pushing for more?

37 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I totally agree and that's my point with Lamar, but people like @Einsteinrag on him for being "selfish."

He is selfish. That is undeniable. But that doesn’t necessarily mean a bad thing. The definition of selfishness is “concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure”

Is he not concerned chiefly with his own profit? Does he not care more about getting every last dime for himself, rather than helping his team have cap space to sign support players?

• Disagree 1

Lamar is not going to bring his team from being down two scores in the 4th quarter. He can play with a lead and in close games. I think the Ravens believe this also. He can be dynamic as it showed in his MVP season, but once teams game planned for his style his effectiveness diminished. Huntley actually played well for them when Jackson went down. And Hollywood Brown probably left to hopefully find a qb that could highlight his skill set. I agree with some of the other posters that his time in Baltimore will be coming to an end, whether through free agency or trade.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

People pointing out how Lamar hit deep shots all day on the Jets, like SEE!!!

I even heard analysts doing it.  

Drives me crazy when people use the deep ball as proof a guy can QB. 

Most QB’s can dink, dunk and load up for a deep throw.   What separates the elite passers is the ability to read defenses, make progressions and throw in traffic.  Lamar struggles with all of it… and nothing he did today changes that. 

Curious here.  Did you happen to watch the Ravens game today?

45 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Lamar is not going to bring his team from being down two scores in the 4th quarter.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=JackLa00

Just this past season, he did this very thing multiple times.

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Curious here.  Did you happen to watch the Ravens game today?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=JackLa00

Just this past season, he did this very thing multiple times.

I did and I did not think Lamar looked very good.  The difficulty to me was the talent he played with that bad or did he just struggle.  

He did hit a few nice passes in the second half - down the field, but especially early - he was off target on many throws and struggled as the strength of the Jets was the middle of the field and LBs - normally Lamar’s bread and butter.

I also noticed he was no where near as explosive running the ball and took several bigger hits as he could not explode to the outside.  I am not sure if that was again the way the Jets played defense, the lack of talent on the Ravens OL, or just game 1 trying to get back into things.

I will say they beat a Jets team with a terrible QB and OL, but I do not think Lamar did himself any favors in the game in terms of showing he deserves what he is looking for.

At least that is my opinion.

18 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Methinks that Lamar, is looking forward to a bidding war, come Feb., for his services.

If he doesn't get flattened, in the meantime..

He is taking a huge risk.  Sorry, but it is hard to see guys like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray ever beating the Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert types.  I can see the league passing on guys like Lamar when he goes to 1-4 in the playoffs after a guy like Mahomes or Herbert blow out the Ravens in the opening round.  

Lamar goes to 1-4 in the playoffs and the Ravens might even pass on him.

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

He is taking a huge risk.  Sorry, but it is hard to see guys like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray ever beating the Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert types.  I can see the league passing on guys like Lamar when he goes to 1-4 in the playoffs after a guy like Mahomes or Herbert blow out the Ravens in the opening round.  

I agree on most teams passing. Ravens may evaluate how bad they want him after playoffs and tag him once or twice while they find their next guy. They have time. I just don't see them caving to his demands whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Pretty sure Lamar Jackson is 1-0 vs Justin Herbert-led Chargers teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.