Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

14 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He didn't deserve. Ravens had the #1 seed. Lamar ran for like 1,200 yards and 30 passing TD's. I'd have to go back and see what other numbers QB's were putting up that year. Who deserved it that year over Jackson?

One could argue McCaffrey who had 1387 yards rushing (4.8 avg), 15 rushing TDs AND 1005 yards receiving (8.7 avg) and 4 TDs receiving

How many times has 1000 rush and 1000 receiving yards happened in a season? 19 TDs is pretty strong too. Only 1 fumble.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t know why everyone loves to trash Lamar. He is a different type of qb for sure but besides Andrews, they are exactly loaded with offensive talent. It blows my mind they have never tried a Diggs type move to get him a true 1. And on top of things, their D sucks this year. 

People don't trash Lamar, they just laugh when people put him in the elite category with Mahomes and Allen because he won an MVP.  You don't need to be an NFL scout to see Lamar is a 2nd tier quarterback who has passing limitations that are masked by his ability to run.  He should be paid, but teams realize he is not going to win a Super Bowl because the AFC playoffs are going to be loaded with real passers like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow. You can't win playoffs games with the type of QB like Lamar.  The defenses get too fast.  You have to be able to really throw the ball.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

I don’t know why everyone loves to trash Lamar. He is a different type of qb for sure but besides Andrews, they are exactly loaded with offensive talent. It blows my mind they have never tried a Diggs type move to get him a true 1. And on top of things, their D sucks this year. 

But they have tried to give him a #1...they have used multiple first round picks on guys (to go along with multiple draft picks in other rounds as well), they have traded for guys, they have signed guys, none of them have worked.  They have tried to get him a #1, but because none have worked people keep saying "yeah but they haven't given him a true #1" which is a false statement

I like Lamar, he can do things with his legs most/all other quarterbacks can't do - but he does have his limitations as a thrower

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

why everyone loves to trash Lamar

Lamar wants #1 QB pay. Ravens want to pay him #2-#5

Lamar is one ugly play from $0. Ravens do have a top 5-10 ranked QB, today, 2022.

Maybe if Lamar had an agent, he'd be further along (after all, that is why they get paid)

3 hours ago, f0neguy said:

Hypothetically,  if Baltimore decides to move on from Lamar, what might the return be?  And who could possibly pay it?

I was going to say that the time has passed to sell him high. However, we’ve seen some teams do some crazy/dumb things when it comes to QBs. Some will think “it’ll be different” on their team and maybe so. My guess is he gets something along the lines the Texans got for Watson and that was a crazy haul. 

This should surprise no one

On 9/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Boyst62 said:

If I'm him I go in to FA and look to head to Houston, Seattle, anywhere else.

Why? Nothing is going to change career wise, also having no agent is not something teams look forward to dealing with, Especially with their starting QB, when they have to revamp the offense to the only style that will work for him, the book is out on Lamar, 

Edited by Don Otreply

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

But they have tried to give him a #1...they have used multiple first round picks on guys (to go along with multiple draft picks in other rounds as well), they have traded for guys, they have signed guys, none of them have worked.  They have tried to get him a #1, but because none have worked people keep saying "yeah but they haven't given him a true #1" which is a false statement

I like Lamar, he can do things with his legs most/all other quarterbacks can't do - but he does have his limitations as a thrower

Hollywood brown is not a number 1 receiver. The cards tried that and he already broke down. They have a bunch of 2s and 3s at best. 

the best thing the Bills did with Allen was build the team (defense carried us early with Allen), then built up the offense. And they got Diggs who deserves a huge credit for evaluating Allen. Jackson won’t probably get to Allen’s level as a passer but besides Andrews, it is a bottom 5 receiving core.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

This should surprise no one

Why? Nothing is going to change career wise, also having no agent is not something teams look forward to dealing with, Especially with their starting QB, when they have to revamp the offense to the only style that will work for him, the book is out on Lamar, 

Because Lamar can walk on to any football field and be one of the best 5 players on the field. This instantly raises the chances to win on a lousy team. This is what a downtrodden football team does for a few seasons to raise their identity, to get off their rail and try something new. 

Lamar doesn't deserve that contract with the Ravens. He needs to go somewhere else. And for his benefit it'd be nice if he just took time to develop into the QB he can be and not just be a football player. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They would certainly benefit from a top end WR.  Crazy they didn’t go after Hill, who would help Lamar with outlets whenever he would scramble around to buy time.

Lamar is a top 8 QB in the league.  Allen and Mahomes are 1-2, but most teams in the league would LOVE to have Lamar running their offense

I’m gonna guess Lamar continues to struggle similar to the first quarter of the season. He will not get an offer even remotely close to what he wants. He will be tagged and traded. Here’s a list of teams I think in play for him

Miami

Washington

Seattle

Houston

Carolina

Giants

Tampa (Tom finally retires)

New Orleans

of the 8, I only see about half with real potential to take him, but the contract issue may pull into the discussion where teams that want him can’t afford him and teams on the fence have a ton of cap space 

5 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

They would certainly benefit from a top end WR.  Crazy they didn’t go after Hill, who would help Lamar with outlets whenever he would scramble around to buy time.

Lamar is a top 8 QB in the league.  Allen and Mahomes are 1-2, but most teams in the league would LOVE to have Lamar running their offense

No top-end WR would agree to go Baltimore with Lamar Jackson as the QB.

Guys like Tyreek Hill or Davante Adams who are getting 150+ targets from the best passers in the NFL are not going to a team where they'll now get 50 less targets and less quality targets at that. WRs get contracts based on their production, a guy with the type of production even an elite WR would have in the Ravens' offense is getting 2nd or 3rd tier money.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Andrews is their Diggs.  They have had good receivers there.  He just doesnt throw to them.  Guy is 5 years in.  The excuses are old.

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Lamar wants #1 QB pay. Ravens want to pay him #2-#5

Lamar is one ugly play from $0. Ravens do have a top 5-10 ranked QB, today, 2022.

Maybe if Lamar had an agent, he'd be further along (after all, that is why they get paid)

Amen. Get an agent Lamar.    He is 1-3 in the playoffs and at times looks terrible.  Nobody is ever go to really consider him the #1 QB in the league. He isn't even top 5.  The Ravens offer was a really good offer for a guy with his record in the playoffs. 

Edited by Bills2022

46 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hollywood brown is not a number 1 receiver. The cards tried that and he already broke down. They have a bunch of 2s and 3s at best. 

the best thing the Bills did with Allen was build the team (defense carried us early with Allen), then built up the offense. And they got Diggs who deserves a huge credit for evaluating Allen. Jackson won’t probably get to Allen’s level as a passer but besides Andrews, it is a bottom 5 receiving core.

The results are different than the effort. You are saying you are surprised they haven’t tried to get him a #1 and that’s not true. They have tried-they didn’t draft Brown in the first round to not be their top guy (the same applies to Bateman) it just didn’t  work out. I agree that Brown isn’t a #1 but they thought he would be. I don’t think Bateman is a #1 but my guess is they think he will be/is. They have tried to trade for guys, they try to get too guys in free agency, but Lamar doesn’t have the ability to raise the ply of those guys to the top of the league 

Brown is not Diggs no.  He isnt the best of the best.  Acting like they havent had any receivers though is wrong.  He just doesnt throw to them.  They get open just fine.  Brown has 100 less yards in just 6 games this season as he had in 14 games last season.  Murray isnt exactly an elite passer either yet he was on pace to more than double his yards with a different QB than Lamar.  Time for the excuses to end.  Lamar is a great athlete.  What he is not is an elite passer.  I dont care who you put on that team.  Lamar still has to throw to them.  Something he isnt good at.

Even Sammy Watkins had his worst career year there.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Brown is not Diggs no.  He isnt the best of the best.  Acting like they havent had any receivers though is wrong.  He just doesnt throw to them.  They get open just fine.  Brown has 100 less yards in just 6 games this season as he had in 14 games last season.  Murray isnt exactly an elite passer either yet he was on pace to more than double his yards with a different QB than Lamar.  Time for the excuses to end.  Lamar is a great athlete.  What he is not is an elite passer.  I dont care who you put on that team.  Lamar still has to throw to them.  Something he isnt good at.

Even Sammy Watkins had his worst career year there.

But that’s kinda the pint. Diggs is much, much, much better than any receiver than Lamar has played with. Do you think Allen has the same jump with Hollywood instead of Diggs? I doubt it. Also, Brown just had a 1,000 yard season with Lamar and ypc in Arizona is basically the same. And come on with Sammy. Dude has been washed for years. 

will Lamar ever been an elite passer? No. But it is a bottom 5 group, their oline is a mess, and their rbs can’t stay healthy. Lamar is the least of their problems right now. 

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But that’s kinda the pint. Diggs is much, much, much better than any receiver than Lamar has played with. Do you think Allen has the same jump with Hollywood instead of Diggs? I doubt it. Also, Brown just had a 1,000 yard season with Lamar and ypc in Arizona is basically the same. And come on with Sammy. Dude has been washed for years. 

will Lamar ever been an elite passer? No. But it is a bottom 5 group, their oline is a mess, and their rbs can’t stay healthy. Lamar is the least of their problems right now. 

If the Vikings had traded Diggs to Baltimore instead of Buffalo, his annual stat line would be something like 80 catches for 1,020 yards & 5-6 TDs. Then people would say that Diggs isn't a WR1 & that "the Ravens need to get Lamar a true WR1". Even a prime Jerry Rice wouldn't be considered an elite WR in the Ravens offense with Lamar, the target volume & passing ability are not sufficient for anybody to put up true WR1 numbers there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

..while I agree with you.. there is an element of chicken and egg here.. Lamar is not a proficient passer in the way that Mahomes/Allen are so WR who get to the areas (intermediate outside the lines) that Mahomes/Allen are so the WRs that do that are not as valuable to him. Certainly, obviously they would be helpful, but Lamar would benefit from guys like Waddle/Hill. Guys who can take a short pass and run or can create separation on deep balls. I wouldn't want Lamar throwing a bunch of contested, intermediate throws like the ones that Josh does even if he had a Diggs. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.