Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ohhh.   You're of the thought that Baltimore should move on.  Now it makes sense.

By "same boat" I just mean that neither guy has won a Super Bowl.  Buffalo has done a terrific job building this team.  Baltimore, not so much.

What's Lamar working with?  His WR corps consist of Reshod Bateman, Devin Duevernay and James Proche II.  

A change of scenery might be best for both parties.

I don't care what they do.  If he stays it's of little consequence for the Bills.  It's very clear they won't give him his asking price this year.

As for "what's he working with?", multiple posters have said that the Ravens have specifically built a roster around his skill set.  Sure they should have kept Hollywood, I guess (a guy with 6 career games over 100 yards).  Who did they have when Jackson was MVP?  Andrews is their best receiver ever year.  

Look it's clear that Jackson is "betting on himself"--that he will come back this year and lead his team deep into the playoffs--forcing a massive contract at the end of the season.  There's really no reason to believe that the team truly low-balled him.  He really seems to have an opinion of his talent (worth, say, top 3 money) that is different from that of the FO.  No one is going to be handing out Watson contracts (because that was dumb for many reasons) and he can't be paid like Josh Allen or Mahomes...because no one thinks he has that kind of game or will bring similar results.  

Jackson's gonna get paid either way. More power to him. I'm sure the Ravens hope he'd want to stick with the team on a realistic deal, but apparently he doesn't give a *****. I have no feelings about it either way. It's just a different mindset than most QBs/agents who approach such a deal.

I like Lamar Jackson and he's one of the more fun guys to watch.  Fingers crossed for good health this season, followed by a big contract signing with an NFC team.

Interesting looking back at the 2018 QB class.  Say what you will about the players involved -- the jury is still out on Mayfield and maybe Lamar kind of -- but really only team got the savior they were looking for.

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

But that doesn’t mean he can’t win.  Who’d you rather have, burrow or Allen mahomes, Rodgers?  Stafford or allen, mahomes or Rodgers? 

I wouldn’t take burrow of stafford over allen, burrow, or Rodgers…. But they were the guys playing for the SB.  They won games with the season on the line.  Did you see mahomes and Rodgers play in the 2nd half of their season ending games?  Season on the line….not just game on the line.  Many QBs are capable of winning the SB without being considered elite. 

Trent Dilfer won a super bowl, I get it.  I get Lamar is a cog in the Ravens system.  I respect him as a player, he definitely has skills.  I don’t respect his QB play versus others.  I’d rather have Josh, or any of the other top 5 who consistently will be in the running in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

$100 mil guaranteed (mentioned on NFLN) 

and he said no.  

I’m still laughing 

offer with $133 million fully guaranteed at signing 

Is even funnier 

Chris Mortensen

·

2h@mortreport

·

Follow

Sources: Lamar Jackson rejected a Ravens' 6-yr contract offer with $133 million fully guaranteed at signing, which is more than Russell Wilson ($124 million) and Kyler Murray ($103.3 million) but well short of the $230 million fully guaranteed deal that Deshaun Watson got

7 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Trent Dilfer won a super bowl, I get it.  I get Lamar is a cog in the Ravens system.  I respect him as a player, he definitely has skills.  I don’t respect his QB play versus others.  I’d rather have Josh, or any of the other top 5 who consistently will be in the running in the playoffs.

BINGO

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

Greed is as greed does, they offered him a more than fair deal, especially for what he brings to the table as a QB. That FO is not going to do a fully guaranteed contract, just not gonna happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him walk at some point going forward.  

I do like when there is turmoil on opposing teams, it’s good for us.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Jackson's gonna get paid either way. More power to him. I'm sure the Ravens hope he'd want to stick with the team on a realistic deal, but apparently he doesn't give a *****. I have no feelings about it either way. It's just a different mindset than most QBs/agents who approach such a deal.

It’s a selfish mindset.

Players have the right to have a selfish mindset, but let’s call a spade a spade.

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Greed is as greed does, they offered him a more than fair deal, especially for what he brings to the table as a QB. That FO is not going to do a fully guaranteed contract, just not gonna happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him walk at some point going forward.  

I do like when there is turmoil on opposing teams, it’s good for us.

Old saying we have in the legal field-he who represents himself has a fool for a client. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It’s a selfish mindset.

Players have the right to have a selfish mindset, but let’s call a spade a spade.

At this level of fame and fortune, what does "selfish" even mean? Where is that line drawn when you have billion $$ organisations throwing around millions left and right?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

At this level of fame and fortune, what does "selfish" even mean? Where is that line drawn when you have billion $$ organisations throwing around millions left and right?

For me, the line of selfishness is when you can’t see that the contract you want will negatively impact your teams chances of competing for a Super Bowl. 

Turning down almost $300 Million? Oofta. I’m glad we have Allen.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't care what they do.  If he stays it's of little consequence for the Bills.  It's very clear they won't give him his asking price this year.

As for "what's he working with?", multiple posters have said that the Ravens have specifically built a roster around his skill set.  Sure they should have kept Hollywood, I guess (a guy with 6 career games over 100 yards).  Who did they have when Jackson was MVP?  Andrews is their best receiver ever year.  

Look it's clear that Jackson is "betting on himself"--that he will come back this year and lead his team deep into the playoffs--forcing a massive contract at the end of the season.  There's really no reason to believe that the team truly low-balled him.  He really seems to have an opinion of his talent (worth, say, top 3 money) that is different from that of the FO.  No one is going to be handing out Watson contracts (because that was dumb for many reasons) and he can't be paid like Josh Allen or Mahomes...because no one thinks he has that kind of game or will bring similar results.  

We differ there as well then.  He'll get at least what Allen got.  If not from Baltimore, then from some other team.

MVP season wideouts:  Brown, Snead and Seth Roberts, Boykin and of course Andrews at tight end. 

Futher proving my point.  WTF is Baltimore doing?  Pickens would have been a phenomenal addition for them in the draft.  Instead the Steelers nab him and the Ravens sit on their hands.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Pretty obvious the Ravens don't view him as a long term solution or are unsure of him still to offer that little in guarantees considering what Murray just got. Throwing out the Watson deal since that's an outlier but Murray got $189 guaranteed and he hasn't done anything close to what Jackson has 

Edited by Big Turk

13 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I think it’s pretty well accepted that the Ravens are a very well run franchise. I like Lamar, I enjoy what he brings to the game and I know he’s going to get paid but he’s not getting a fully guaranteed contract.

They are “sitting around” because they don’t believe Lamar has what it takes to get them to the SB and they aren’t going to lock themselves into a QB who they aren’t all in on for the next 5-7 years. Instead, they have 3 more years of Lamar if they want it using the franchise tag after this season.

If they believed in Lamar, they would have locked him up at the same time we did Josh. But they didn’t, so they waited to see how Lamar did and he regressed. You can blame the injuries last year, but as good as Lamar is he has hit his ceiling and has not shown significant improvement from year to year. He’s limited as a passer and the Ravens know as soon as he slows down the rushing, he’s an above average QB at best.

So this well-run franchise has built their entire franchise around a QB that they don't believe in?

The Ravens don't have legit receivers or legit running backs.  They have a legit TE and Jackson, but that's it.  That's well-run?

I remember thinking how the Bills were such a well run organization when they had Tyrod Taylor as their QB.

The Ravens are making a bet here they are destined to lose.  If Jackson is a mediocre as many claim, there is nothing on that roster that saves their season.  The roster beyond Jackson was poor last season, and it's gotten worse this year.

If Jackson proves to be better than everyone believes, the Ravens have Flacco-d themselves, again, because Jackson's price will be much more expensive than if they extended him last year.

Well-run franchises don't take years to commit to players (and in the Ravens case, their roster-build has already committed to Jackson).  Well-run franchises don't wait around and let the market determine the value of their players.

Well-run franchises determine their plan, commit to the plan, and stay ahead of the league in executing their plan.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.