Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, Perry Turtle said:

So this well-run franchise has built their entire franchise around a QB that they don't believe in?

The Ravens don't have legit receivers or legit running backs.  They have a legit TE and Jackson, but that's it.  That's well-run?

I remember thinking how the Bills were such a well run organization when they had Tyrod Taylor as their QB.

The Ravens are making a bet here they are destined to lose.  If Jackson is a mediocre as many claim, there is nothing on that roster that saves their season.  The roster beyond Jackson was poor last season, and it's gotten worse this year.

If Jackson proves to be better than everyone believes, the Ravens have Flacco-d themselves, again, because Jackson's price will be much more expensive than if they extended him last year.

Well-run franchises don't take years to commit to players (and in the Ravens case, their roster-build has already committed to Jackson).  Well-run franchises don't wait around and let the market determine the value of their players.

Well-run franchises determine their plan, commit to the plan, and stay ahead of the league in executing their plan.

one might argue that having a value and terms you won’t exceed is perhaps well running. 

I’ll again echo- the biggest variable in these negotiations is that Lamar is doing it himself. Until shown otherwise, that’s got to be the first suspicion for why it’s not done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

$100 mil guaranteed (mentioned on NFLN) 

and he said no.  

I’m still laughing 

Is even funnier 

BINGO

He can make $100 million guaranteed just playing on the franchise tag the next 2 seasons (after this one). So, about the same amount of guaranteed money in half the time.

Yeah it’s a risk. But it worked out pretty well for Cozens and I’d say Lamar is the better overall player. I can respect Lamar for being confident in his abilities and being willing to put his money where his mouth is.

but it’s definitely a risk.

Im sure glad we have Josh Allen. And I’m glad his #1 priority wasn’t just being the highest paid QB.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Pretty obvious the Ravens don't view him as a long term solution or are unsure of him still to offer that little in guarantees considering what Murray just got. Throwing out the Watson deal since that's an outlier but Murray got $189 guaranteed and he hasn't done anything close to what Jackson has 

Murray has missed 2 games the last 3 seasons, Lamar has missed 7, including 5 last season.  The best ability is availability.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Agree 1

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

Murray has missed 2 games the last 3 seasons, Lamar has missed 7, including 5 last season.  The best ability is availability.  

The best ability is not wilting like a flower on a 120 degree day in the playoffs like Murray did

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If Lamar turned down a 6yr / $290M contract with $133M guaranteed, on the reports that Jackson wants a fully guaranteed Watson deal… yikes. 

Ravens are in a really tough spot here.  

Really amazing to me.  How does someone look at 133M guaranteed and say to themselves, that's not enough?  As someone who goes through my life spending tens and twenties, this number numbs me.  Especially when you consider the risk.  He is playing in a dangerous sport that can end your career on a single play.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If Lamar turned down a 6yr / $290M contract with $133M guaranteed, on the reports that Jackson wants a fully guaranteed Watson deal… yikes. 

7 minutes ago, wjag said:

Really amazing to me.  How does someone look at 133M guaranteed and say to themselves, that's not enough?  As someone who goes through my life spending tens and twenties, this number numbs me.  Especially when you consider the risk.  He is playing in a dangerous sport that can end your career on a single play.

And this is the crux of why Lamar not having an agent will crush both he and the Ravens.  Lamar needs the Ravens and their dedication to designing the offense solely around him, and the Ravens need Lamar because otherwise they are starting over.

An agent would talk some sense into Lamar.  This is actually sad.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

We differ there as well then.  He'll get at least what Allen got.  If not from Baltimore, then from some other team.

MVP season wideouts:  Brown, Snead and Seth Roberts, Boykin and of course Andrews at tight end

Futher proving my point.  WTF is Baltimore doing?  Pickens would have been a phenomenal addition for them in the draft.  Instead the Steelers nab him and the Ravens sit on their hands.

Andrews is solid, Brown decent.  He was an MVP with that crew, not close since (both were on the team last year for Jackson's 12 starts).  I don't know why they got rid of Brown, but it wouldn't have changed much.  They don't depend on a top passing game. 

I don't know how else to say it except it's clear that the Ravens are going to make him prove he deserves his ask.  He was offered 50 million a year for 5 with 133 million up front---that's more than Josh is getting paid per year.  He should have jumped on that--it's a gift.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, eball said:

An agent would talk some sense into Lamar.  This is actually sad.

100% agree with this.  Agents could get him deals on the side with sponsors that would more than make up for any loss in guaranteed money.

Who is Pepsi or State Farm gonna call if they want Lamar in their commercials?  His mom?

Let's all convince ourselves getting less than a 10 on a Wonderlic doesn't mean anything. 

Lamar will be remembered as a great runner who went to an amazing franchise who built the team around his limited abilities perfectly.

He'll also be remembered as a dumbass. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

If the ask is true, Jackson will probably get a boatload guaranteed from someone eventually.  The Watson deal was stupid and If I was an owner I would be fuming over what the Browns did.  The “market” will eventually settle back to a norm but Jackson now has something to hold over the Ravens head and he is doing it.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, Rochesterfan said:

I imagine the Ravens will block that by tagging him one or two more years - Ala Kirk Cousins.

Then they can even look to move him for a premium of picks.

I don’t think Lamar really sees FA at this time - they will use him up and then move on.

This is the smartest play by them. That FO is smsrt enough to know he ain't winning nothing in post season, 2 years of a tag and he'll be on decline. 

I'd trade him after this season. Good play by this team

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

If the ask is true, Jackson will probably get a boatload guaranteed from someone eventually.  The Watson deal was stupid and If I was an owner I would be fuming over what the Browns did.  The “market” will eventually settle back to a norm but Jackson now has something to hold over the Ravens head and he is doing it.

No one is going to give him 230+ guarantee next year unless he leads them to a SB win this year.  He has no leverage here.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not really, they can tag him, while they make moves to moves on from him, max three years and they are back in the thick of things, in all reality,  what team wants him on the roster in five or six years? he isn’t any teams QB of the future. Unless he becomes a noticeably above average passer, what’s odds that happens? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Doubtful.  Watson is a top tier QB.  Not a doubt in my mind that Watson could go throw for throw with the elite QB's like Mahomes, Allen, and Rodgers.  Jackson will never be able to do what Watson can do.  

Jackson really should get an agent and take the deal the Ravens put on the table.  That is a great deal.  

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

For me, the line of selfishness is when you can’t see that the contract you want will negatively impact your teams chances of competing for a Super Bowl. 

Turning down almost $300 Million? Oofta. I’m glad we have Allen.

I'm glad Buffalo has a guy who's content and loyal to the team, but if I was a confidant to Lamar, I could not in good conscience advise him to be loyal to his team if he doesn't honestly feel that way. We don't know his true  situation or relationship to the team and staff. There's a huge pie being served to these highly profitable organisations and he should be getting the biggest piece he can. Who are we to judge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

if I was a confidant to Lamar, I could not in good conscience advise him to be loyal to his team if he doesn't honestly feel that way. 

Where does it end? At what point?

If you were a confidant to Lamar and the team offered him $1 BILLION, you would advise him to not take it if he doesn’t feel that way?

Not sure I understand this world where wise decisions are made on how we feel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.