Orlando Brown wants 25 mill/yr?

YoloinOhio

Brown is a good player and has been since he was in Baltimore. They knew his mentality though when they traded for him. In Baltimore he didn't want to play RT because LT was where the $$$ is still at. Baltimore thought they were getting a healthy Stanley back and sent him to KC. He plays out the final year of his rookie deal knowing he truly has all of the leverage at this point. With the money being tossed around everywhere these days, it's not really surprising he's asking for $25M. Someone will give him a deal that is more to his liking if it's not going to be KC. If they are forced to trade him though, especially if he threatens a Vincent Jackson (RIP) type of holdout, it will surely leave another hole on an offense already about to find out what life is like without Tyreek Hill. 

Edited by H2o

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sorry, I was not clear.  I mean that it would still be economical for KC to tag him again next year. 

Gotcha.  I think he sits out because he probably figures that that's what they're going to do if he plays under the tag this year.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I think the real question is how much worse would they have been without him?  Maybe one play at a critical time? Maybe in a certain playoff game???

I don’t blame the guy for wanting to get paid. I’m just glad this is the Chief’s problem. This one appears to have been misplayed by KC who gave up all their leverage without locking the player down. This does not feel very “Beane-esque”. 

Without him (prior 3 seasons) they went to 3 straight conf championships, 2 SBs winning one and had the top Offense twice.   With him, Mahomes was sacked more times than ever in his career, had his lowest YPG and rating as a starter.

In the AFCC game, he was sacked 4 times and under pressure constantly, picked off twice and fumbled..

Well, being that the salary cap doesn’t matter for well run teams with willing and deep pocketed owners, this in reality is not that big of an issue for them, or frankly any well run team. The salary cap is only used as an excuse when teams don’t want to pay a given player. 

Don’t get me wrong on this, as Bills fans we can only hope it causes turmoil within the Chiefs organization, if so, that would be great 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gotcha.  I think he sits out because he probably figures that that's what they're going to do if he plays under the tag this year.

Quite possibly.  Sometimes a player will sign their tag on the condition that the team won’t tag them again the following season.  But I don’t know if that’ll get it done on this one. 

Why all the hate on this player? Bills just signed a 33 year old to 120M. Chiefs traded a ton of picks for him, why would he not ask for top dollar? He my not be as good as Trent Williams but he is in the conversation for top 5 LT, he is young, he is already playing under the tag, and the salary cap is going up. He put in his time and the system is set up to reward guys on their second contract. He might not get $25M a year but why would you start negotiating at a lower number if he is already playing on a tag. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Quite possibly.  Sometimes a player will sign their tag on the condition that the team won’t tag them again the following season.  But I don’t know if that’ll get it done on this one. 

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like a sign and not tag deal is something he'll accept.  He wants to be paid now.  He's going into his 5th season and has sorely outplayed his draft position and rookie contract.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like a sign and not tag deal is something he'll accept.  He wants to be paid now.  He's going into his 5th season and has sorely outplayed his draft position and rookie contract.

This is the point people need to remember with Brown. He was a 1st round talent who slipped because of a bad combine and has been majorly underpaid for his performances in the NFL ever since. This isn't a guy who already made a shed load of money. He has made less than $3.5m to this point in his career. He knows he is at the big contract stage of his career. His leverage will never be higher. He is right to play hardball IMO. 

• Like (+1) 3

Why is everyone saying that he's a top 5 LT?

According to Chiefs' fans (and PFF) the guy rated lower than Dion Dawkins.

He was a RT in Baltimore that benefited from Lamar running around, then he was awful in KC to start the year, and finished the year average.

We're not talking about a guy that deserves to be the top paid Oline in history, it's just his turn though.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

He was a RT in Baltimore that benefited from Lamar running around, then he was awful in KC to start the year, and finished the year average.

We're not talking about a guy that deserves to be the top paid Oline in history, it's just his turn though.

The problem for the Chefs is that regardless of whether he's truly a top-5 LT or not, he's made the Pro Bowl the last 3 years straight.  And that's all he and his agent need to know.

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So they were somewhat criticized at the time for trading for him without a new deal in place. It’s the reason he was traded in the first place. Ravens didn’t want to pay him. Chiefs were desperate at LT when Eric fisher got hurt/old . But now looks like could have been a (costly) band aid. When you do that, the player has all the leverage. 

This is a reality for competitive teams with a highly paid QB.  The Bills will not be immune to having one or two players on the roster in any given year who will say “Pay me.”  I do think the Bills are better positioned than the Chiefs to respectfully handle the - we will find a way or at least respectfully part ways - conversations.  However, these situations will come up every year as the Bills like the rest of the NFL try to work cap magic.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So they were somewhat criticized at the time for trading for him without a new deal in place. It’s the reason he was traded in the first place. Ravens didn’t want to pay him. Chiefs were desperate at LT when Eric fisher got hurt/old . But now looks like could have been a (costly) band aid. When you do that, the player has all the leverage. 

This is another case just like Tunsil/OBrien in Houston. Traded big picks for a player without a new deal. Player has you by the short and curlies.

Tunsil represented HIMSELF and still got 2/$66M. I dont think $25M is outrageous in this case. KC is dumb if they didnt expect this.

The greed thing in the NFL is getting way out of hand for god sakes how much is too much ?

Welcome to the new world order of things sad ... 😪 But if the owners continue to pay it they will continue to ask for more & more ...

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is a reality for competitive teams with a highly paid QB.  The Bills will not be immune to having one or two players on the roster in any given year who will say “Pay me.”  I do think the Bills are better positioned than the Chiefs to respectfully handle the - we will find a way or at least respectfully part ways - conversations.  However, these situations will come up every year as the Bills like the rest of the NFL try to work cap magic.  

Luckily, White, Milano, and Dawkins have all signed team-friendly deals. I'm hoping for the same from Knox, and possibly Oliver. I dont know if we'll be able to convince Gabe Davis given the WR market.

1 minute ago, T master said:

The greed thing in the NFL is getting way out of hand for god sakes how much is too much ?

Welcome to the new world order of things sad ... 😪 But if the owners continue to pay it they will continue to ask for more & more ...

The NFL is about to sign a $3 BILLION streaming deal with Apple. Because of the players. Pay the players.

If the league is making it, the players deserve it. Regardless how much it is. Unless you are telling the owners and NFL to take a paycut too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, T master said:

if the owners revenue keeps increasing they have to pay the players. it's part of the CBA. Why is it greed when players ask for a lot of money? The owners take in billions every year. We keep watching and attending games, TV network fight to pay the league billions...there's money for everyone. The complaint should be the cost of watching and attending games for the fans

• Like (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, T master said:

Well, people pay the prices to see the Athletes play the game. Nobody pays $200 + per ticket and buys merchandise to watch an owner sit in the box.

If we're going to spend money the players deserve their share... at some point the whole thing will become unsustainable, but right now the NFL is a money making machine, and the NFL ain't nuttin without the players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, T master said:

Where should the money go then? 

1 hour ago, T master said:

You understand that the NFL is maximizing revenues regardless of how much players make, right?  How it gets split up between players and owners doesn’t impact the regular folks and what we pay.  Why do people complain about players trying to get the best deal they can while they shrug their shoulders at owners trying to get the best deal they can? 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Some thoughts here.

1.  When KC traded for Brown - they were coming off a SB loss in which they had no Eric Fisher, and No Mtich Schwartz at the tackle spots...both would be unavailable the following season.  They had already been starting backups at the other 2 guard spots most of the year and the Center was among the worst in the NFL.  That is what they headed into the 2021 offseason looking at.  

2.  They had already signed Joe Thuney when they traded for Brown, but he was IT.  The draft hadn't happend yet.  

3.  When trading for Brown, it wasn't just KC throwing picks at Baltimore.  The Chiefs sent 28 overall to Baltimore, and some others but KC got Brown and a 2nd, and a think a 5th or something in return.  When you washed it all out in various draft pick value calculators...it was basically Brown for a 2nd is how the value ended up.

4.  Kc knew brown would want a new contract but also knew, and it has come to fruition that they could tag him....this year and next if need be.  That's 1 year (last year) of cheap rookie deal and 2 additonal years of club control at NOT top of market pricing.

5.  The situation today has changed.  KC was able to draft Creed Humpphrey, and Trey Smith...to go alogn with Thuney.  Thuney played some at LT for injury in 2021 and looked better than brown doing so.

6.  KC will be fine paying the tag....they'd have preferred a contract get done for cap flex purposes, but the tag number is reasonable for a man of Browns abilities.  If he walks, KC takes a 3rd as a compensatory pick.  

KC was smart not to pay him at top of market.  It would be a bad look.  If you aren't paying a proven top 5 WR then what does that say to the other players if you give Brown top 5 or top overall money for a guy who wasn't around for the titles, and hasn't demonstrated top 5 ability?  Good on Veach to not cave on this.  They are setting this thing up right to be in position to compete year after year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

30 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Some thoughts here.

1.  When KC traded for Brown - they were coming off a SB loss in which they had no Eric Fisher, and No Mtich Schwartz at the tackle spots...both would be unavailable the following season.  They had already been starting backups at the other 2 guard spots most of the year and the Center was among the worst in the NFL.  That is what they headed into the 2021 offseason looking at.  

2.  They had already signed Joe Thuney when they traded for Brown, but he was IT.  The draft hadn't happend yet.  

3.  When trading for Brown, it wasn't just KC throwing picks at Baltimore.  The Chiefs sent 28 overall to Baltimore, and some others but KC got Brown and a 2nd, and a think a 5th or something in return.  When you washed it all out in various draft pick value calculators...it was basically Brown for a 2nd is how the value ended up.

4.  Kc knew brown would want a new contract but also knew, and it has come to fruition that they could tag him....this year and next if need be.  That's 1 year (last year) of cheap rookie deal and 2 additonal years of club control at NOT top of market pricing.

5.  The situation today has changed.  KC was able to draft Creed Humpphrey, and Trey Smith...to go alogn with Thuney.  Thuney played some at LT for injury in 2021 and looked better than brown doing so.

6.  KC will be fine paying the tag....they'd have preferred a contract get done for cap flex purposes, but the tag number is reasonable for a man of Browns abilities.  If he walks, KC takes a 3rd as a compensatory pick.  

KC was smart not to pay him at top of market.  It would be a bad look.  If you aren't paying a proven top 5 WR then what does that say to the other players if you give Brown top 5 or top overall money for a guy who wasn't around for the titles, and hasn't demonstrated top 5 ability?  Good on Veach to not cave on this.  They are setting this thing up right to be in position to compete year after year.

Chiefs fan huh? Which trailer park do you reside? 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, and the eye incident 

Every time I saw the name I thought, that guy is STILL playing? Now I know he's the son ha ha.

If they pay him and again load their salary cap or trade him and lose that talent, either way the Chiefs won't be as strong, so win-win for the Bills

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

That might be why fans are giving him more credit than he deserves in pro bowl voting.

i bet you are right.

if you look at most metrics, there are like 20+ better left tackles in the league, including probably Dawkins. 

I have no idea what anyone sees in Brown, except to confuse him with his dad! 

On 7/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, aristocrat said:

That’s what the Green Bay left tackle got so he’s not far off

This would be true If he was a top LT, I'm not sure he's proven that yet.

He should play on the tag and show his worth at LT for a full season. They would be more willing to pay then.

9 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

This would be true If he was a top LT, I'm not sure he's proven that yet.

He should play on the tag and show his worth at LT for a full season. They would be more willing to pay then.

He's made the Pro Bowl the last 3 years.  He's got an argument that he is a top-5 LT and I have no doubt he feels he is.  The only question is if he skips training camp and part of the season.  Then again, Joe Thuney can replace him (:w00t:).

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

"all" options: show up or not.  a read scratcher for Orlando...

19 hours ago, T master said:

The players are guaranteed almost 49% of league revenues.  The owners have to spend it on players.  It's not a "new order"

This is:

On 7/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, unbillievable said:

I think based on the second half of last season when he found a groove I'd be saying periphery of the top 10. He struggled a bit the first half of the year to adjust. He definitely isn't a left tackle who deserves to re-set the market but nor was Tunsil when he did. I think Brown is probably on the Tunsil type level. It is the way that constant cap inflation in the NFL works. And as I said above I completely understand why Brown is playing hardball. Not many tackles get to cash in twice in their career. He has to maximise his $$s now because he didn't get a first round rookie deal and this might be his one shot. I think he *should* play on the tag this year but if I was his agent I'd advise him to only turn up the last couple of weeks before the season - after camp and pre-season. Play on the tag and then hit the market next year unless KC make you the best paid tackle in football. Prime age franchise left tackles rarely hit the market. If he did someone would pay him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.