Why is Justyn Ross radioactive?

FireChans

So Justyn Ross, best WR for Clemson 3 years ago. Has a back injury, they find a congenital issue, which they say is the reason teams are staying far away.

But he came back and played with Clemson. Sure he had a bad year, but he had a lingering foot injury and their entire offense was a DISASTER. 

So why was he good to play for Clemson but radioactive in the NFL?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I would imagine most of the medical reports from team doctors are not good. Perhaps he’s on super limited time before his condition keeps him from playing anymore? If that’s the case then teams aren’t going to waste the time and energy, sounds harsh but that’s how they’d see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Really a sad story.  Ross was destined to be a Top 10 pick before the injuries.  

I’d have loved to take a flyer on him in the 7th given we don’t have much depth as true outside WR’s, but there must be the thought that he's never going to play football again. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Really a sad story.  Ross was destined to be a Top 10 pick before the injuries.  

I’d have loved to take a flyer on him in the 7th given we don’t have much depth as true outside WR’s, but there must be the thought that he's never going to play football again. 

But he just played a whole season? That’s what makes no sense.

This isn’t a guy with a freak injury that no one knows if he will recover. He legit just played.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But he just played a whole season? That’s what makes no sense.

This isn’t a guy with a freak injury that no one knows if he will recover. He legit just played.

It could be he has a lot of offers so is weighing them up. On the other hand, the medical reports might be sounding too many alarms.

• Like (+1) 1

His injury is such that he could quite literally DIE if hit wrong. I'm guessing no NFL team wants to take that responsibility on. 

If Ross wants to continue playing competitive football, it'll probably need to be in one of the spring leagues or in the CFL...

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

It could be he has a lot of offers so is weighing them up. On the other hand, the medical reports might be sounding too many alarms.

If it's just alarms, a team could bring him in as a UDFA and see how he does.  If it's clear he's never going to be that good again, probably the word's gotten out.

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

His injury is such that he could quite literally DIE if hit wrong. I'm guessing no NFL team wants to take that responsibility on. 

If Ross wants to continue playing competitive football, it'll probably need to be in one of the spring leagues or in the CFL...

And yet Clemson let him play all year?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

So Justyn Ross, best WR for Clemson 3 years ago. Has a back injury, they find a congenital issue, which they say is the reason teams are staying far away.

But he came back and played with Clemson. Sure he had a bad year, but he had a lingering foot injury and their entire offense was a DISASTER. 

Clemson wasn't paying him (as much)

• Haha (+1) 1

pretty sure you just answered your own question.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He wants to play. As much as anything the kid deserves it. He is going to come in and try his ass off and the talent is there. 

IMO, i would much rather gamble on an UDFA who could have been a first round pick over some guy who was moderately productive at a MAC school.  Sure, it may not work out, but our UDFA's aren't making the team for the most part anyway.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't understand why you wouldn't gamble on him as an UDFA.

Agreed, makes no sense.

I'm guessing teams know more about his situation than you do.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm guessing teams know more about his situation than you do.

My whole point is who cares what his situation is? He can clearly step on a field. He did it last year. He clearly wants to play. And while I totally get that you don't spend a draft pick on him as an UDFA I don't get why he is unsigned. It is zero risk, possibility of massive reward. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

My whole point is who cares what his situation is? He can clearly step on a field. He did it last year. He clearly wants to play. And while I totally get that you don't spend a draft pick on him as an UDFA I don't get why he is unsigned. It is zero risk, possibility of massive reward. 

If he’s healthy enough to be cleared, he’s probably juggling a few offers and taking his time making a decision with $ and best fit/situation to make the team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't understand why you wouldn't gamble on him as an UDFA.

I suppose that it is possible that the team won't be able to insure him or perhaps he/his agent are asking for more than an undrafted free agent is worth.  It could also be his 4.68 40 time or his 31" vertical leap.  

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/tigers-in-the-nfl/former-clemson-wideout-justyn-ross-not-selected-in-nfl-draft#:~:text=During spring practice ahead of,he would ever play again.

I would think with his size and past success, that teams would be lining up to take a chance on him - even if it takes a red-shirt year.  I don't know if they know whether the poor athletic test numbers are from rust/injury recovery or if they are just his real athletic ability.  

It’s the classic Da’Rick debate, just medical instead of social, I guess. I don’t know this guys story but sounds like high ceiling but deck stacked against him. 

that said, it could just be he didn’t play well last year and there are A LOT of guys with WR bodies and skill sets that are relatively interchangeable after you go about 10 deep in the draft and if he’s outside that top group AND has a major concern it’s a whole different equation 

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Because he was not employed by Clemson and was not being paid millions to play.  That is the risk NFL teams are actively avoiding now by not offering him a contract.  

And as you stated he was a below average talent this last season. 

23 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Because he was not employed by Clemson and was not being paid millions to play.  That is the risk NFL teams are actively avoiding now by not offering him a contract.  

And as you stated he was a below average talent this last season. 

UDFAs aren’t paid millions lol

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

B.c he went to that school... 

You don't like the answer don't ask dumb questions.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1

He came back from his back injury to play last year, then proceeded to play most of the year with, I believe a fracture in his foot. He shut it down late in the year to have surgery on that.

The foot surgery could be a reason for a poor combine.

He didn't have a very good season last year and part of the reason for that was the new QB struggled.

Dabo Swinney his college HC has said that Ross will be a star in the NFL. I'd try and sign him if I'm a GM, the worst that happens is he spends a year on IR and never recovers enough to play. No wasted draft pick, no expensive salary, seems like a no risk move to me.

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

UDFAs aren’t paid millions lol

Ok then why did we pay Levi Wallace $4mm between 2018-2021?   

I'll wait to give you time to stop laughing.

Maybe it's possible you don't understand spinal injury diagnosis and salary figures 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It could also be his 4.68 40 time or his 31" vertical leap.   

Here’s your answer.  The guy is broken and SLOW/unathletic.  Hard to play WR in the NFL if you can’t run or jump.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

the worst that happens is he spends a year on IR and never recovers enough to play. No wasted draft pick, no expensive salary, seems like a no risk move to me.

The worst thing that happens is he gets hit a little too hard and dies.  Dude is a ticking time bomb

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

He came back from his back injury to play last year, then proceeded to play most of the year with, I believe a fracture in his foot. He shut it down late in the year to have surgery on that.

The foot surgery could be a reason for a poor combine.

He didn't have a very good season last year and part of the reason for that was the new QB struggled.

Dabo Swinney his college HC has said that Ross will be a star in the NFL. I'd try and sign him if I'm a GM, the worst that happens is he spends a year on IR and never recovers enough to play. No wasted draft pick, no expensive salary, seems like a no risk move to me.

his college coach endorsed him is perhaps the least convincing argument ever though

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Maybe it's possible you don't understand spinal injury diagnosis and salary figures 

What did he sign year 1 as a UDFA? 

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

If you want my opinion, it's because he's from Clemson!! Clemson+Buffalo= No bueno!! 

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

lmao my dude, Levi Wallace's career earnings in 2018 was $280k.  He got $900k in 2019 (with a base salary of $570k). He didn't break a million until year 3.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/levi-wallace-25587/cash-earnings/

I'm trying to stop laughing but you're just so funny!

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

his college coach endorsed him is perhaps the least convincing argument ever though

What did he sign year 1 as a UDFA? 

Apparently a 4 year $4M deal as a camp body, per Mr. I Understand Salary Figures

Edited by FireChans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.