Bills status for Week 2 of UFA (Beane: We are pretty much Done; now shifting focus to Draft. And LIED to all of us. ).

MAJBobby

Bills now have 4.6M in space (Mancz, Lawson, Lee, Phillips, Johnson, Crowder and Barkely not accounted for) - Keenum is and his new Contract of 3.5M

Also Bills currently sitting at 61 players (8 draft picks left)

Right now the next contract to fall off the top 51 is Nick McCloud (825K)  8 picks has Brandon Bryant (895K falling off) so a 4th round pick  will cost 5K increase on the cap, Third round will count 65K increase, 2nd round pick is about 300K increase.  People really need to remember each player added is discounted right now by the contract it pushes off the top 51.  

Using Keenum for example.  3.5M cap hit.  Pushed off Capra's (705K) so Keenum was only a 2.8M INCREASE against the 2022 cap

Big Tickets left to open the most cap space

Diggs - Extension

Poyer - Extension 

Tre White - Restructure

Dion Dawkins - Restructure

Edmunds - Trade or Extension

Still likely needed

Swing OT - I doubt they feel comfortable with Doyle in that role right now

UFA

Bryan Bulaga (33)

Eric Fisher (31)

Daryl Williams (29)

Zach Banner (28)

Germain Ifedi (27)

Cornelius Lucas (30)

CB (need one, maybe 2.  Right now it is Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis starting outside) - Tre likely gone for 6 weeks to start doubt plan is the unknown of what rookie falls to you in the draft.

UFA

Stephon Gilmore (31)

Joe Haden (32)

Kyle Fuller (30)

Patrick Peterson (31)

Tavon Young (28)

Kevin King (26) - probably more of a nickel 

Jimmy Smith (33)

AJ Bouye (30)

Steven Nelson (29)

Mike Hughes (25)

Mackensie Alexander (28)

Dontae Johnson (30)

TRADE

Bradberry

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 18

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Bills now have 4.6M in space (Mancz, Lawson, Lee, Phillips not accounted for) - Keenum is and his new Contract of 3.5M

Also Bills currently sitting at 61 players (8 draft picks left)

Right now the next contract to fall off the top 51 is Nick McCloud (825K)  8 picks has Brandon Bryant (895K falling off) so a 4th round pick  will cost 5K increase on the cap, Third round will count 65K increase, 2nd round pick is about 300K increase.  People really need to remember each player added is discounted right now by the contract it pushes off the top 51.  

Using Keenum for example.  3.5M cap hit.  Pushed off Capra's (705K) so Keenum was only a 2.8M INCREASE against the 2022 cap

Big Tickets left to open the most cap space

Diggs - Extension

Poyer - Extension 

Tre White - Restructure

Dion Dawkins - Restructure

Edmunds - Trade or Extension

Rumor is signed but nothing from National Guys (Matt Barkley)

Still likely needed

RB - Based off the McKissic stuff

UFAs will put who is reported as connected

Melvin Gordan (28) 

Tarik Cohen (26 INJ flag) 

Jalen Richard (28)

Phillip Lindsay (27)

Marlon Mack (26)

Ronald Jones (24)

Gio Benard (30)

Leonard Fournette (27) - Visiting Patriots today

Darrel Williams (26)

TRADE - Based on Rumors

Barkely 

McCaffery

WR3/4 - Depends on how you feel with McKenzie or Stevenson (Hodgins Gentry) in the slot. - I think they will add a vet before the Draft though

UFA

Julio Jones (33) - Patriots

Jarvis Landry (29) - Chiefs, Bills, GB

Jamison Crowder (28)

T.Y Hilton (32)

Sammy Watkins (28)

Zach Pascal (27)

OBJ (29)

Adam Humphries (28)

Demarcus Robinson (27)

Marquez Valdes-Scantling (27)

TRADE - based on rumors

DK Metclaf

Lockett

Shenault

Swing OT - I doubt they feel comfortable with Doyle in that role right now

UFA

Bryan Bulaga (33)

Eric Fisher (31)

Daryl Williams (29)

Zach Banner (28)

Germain Ifedi (27)

Cornelius Lucas (30)

CB (need one, maybe 2.  Right now it is Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis starting outside) - Tre likely gone for 6 weeks to start doubt plan is the unknown of what rookie falls to you in the draft.

UFA

Stephon Gilmore (31)

Joe Haden (32)

Kyle Fuller (30)

Patrick Peterson (31)

Tavon Young (28)

Kevin King (26) - probably more of a nickel 

Jimmy Smith (33)

AJ Bouye (30)

Steven Nelson (29)

Mike Hughes (25)

Mackensie Alexander (28)

Dontae Johnson (30)

A lot of material to think about.  Personnel moves will take into account the return job(s). If Bills think McKenzie and Steve son can handle it, then there isnt as much need for a "returner " at RB or WR. Could these 2,   maybe Hodgins, fill the slot? I'm leaning toward a versatile WR like Oliver in the 1st.

• MAJBobby changed the title to As we get primed for Week 2 of UFA Bills status *Updated with Barkely Signing announced*
30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

so a 4th round pick  will cost 5K increase on the cap,

I'm pretty sure that the yearly signing bonus for the rookies count against the Top 51 even if they end up under the Top 51.

The Bills 4th Round pick has a $195k signing bonus so one-fourth would be counted against cap plus your $5k estimate.

It's still way under what most fans think the rookie class costs.

Good job with your OP!

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

TRADE

Bradberry

Where’d you hear this? Nevermind. You didn’t.

I’ll be surprised -if not shocked-if Tre isn’t ready to go Opening day.  But yes, we need at least 1 more vet added.

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Where’d you hear this? Nevermind. You didn’t.

I’ll be surprised -if not shocked-if Tre isn’t ready to go Opening day.  But yes, we need at least 1 more vet added.

You want to try again? Nevermind. You won’t.

10.8 months has been the AVG timeline on an ACL tear in the NFL.

So using that, yep likely does not see the field until week 6. 

The Recovery

Tre’Davious White will need supreme conditioning of his thighs. Adrian Peterson famously came back in eight months to play after his ACL surgery. However, the average time it takes to return to play in the NFL is 10.8 months (4). With an estimated surgical date of December 16th, White should be back in October or November 2022. Barring an expedited recovery, White is a strong candidate to start next season on the PUP list.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/the-tredavious-white-acl-injury/

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• MAJBobby changed the title to As we get primed for Week 2 of UFA Bills status *Updated with Barkely Signing announced* (Beane: We are pretty much Done shifting to Draft).
1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No offense.. but should we believe anything BBB says during this time of year.  Remember what BBB said after the KC loss...   

“We’ll still have to make some moves but I wouldn’t see us being like big spenders or anything like that. But we’ll definitely look to fill some spots from the outside as well as retain some of our guys”

Go Bills!

• Agree 2

The Recovery

Tre’Davious White will need supreme conditioning of his thighs. Adrian Peterson famously came back in eight months to play after his ACL surgery. However, the average time it takes to return to play in the NFL is 10.8 months (4). With an estimated surgical date of December 16th, White should be back in October or November 2022. Barring an expedited recovery, White is a strong candidate to start next season on the PUP list.

I'm not sure how these statistics are accurate or not skewed.  Is being "back" just because he was ready by the opener but was actually could have played before?  Peterson was at camp I believe which is mid to late July.  I also remember seeing him doing plyometric drills I think in April of that year which is only 3 months after surgery.

I've known about 10 people who have torn their ACL's.  They don't have the world class trainers White will have and they're back usually after 6-7 months at full strength/training.

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not sure how these statistics are accurate or not skewed.  Is being "back" just because he was ready by the opener but was actually could have played before?  Peterson was at camp I believe which is mid to late July.  I also remember seeing him doing plyometric drills I think in April of that year which is only 3 months after surgery.

I've known about 10 people who have torn their ACL's.  They don't have the world class trainers White will have and they're back usually after 6-7 months at full strength/training.

Well everyones body is different, those are the AVG timelines on recovery, and yes I know that they include bigger guys too like OL and DL in that, and smaller guys in theory should recover faster.  One thing that we do know it Bills will play very safe on his injury like they always do with injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

• MAJBobby changed the title to As we get primed for Week 2 of UFA Bills status *Updated with Barkely and Johnson Signing announced* (Beane: We are pretty much Done shifting to Draft).
3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well everyones body is different, those are the AVG timelines on recovery, and yes I know that they include bigger guys too like OL and DL in that, and smaller guys in theory should recover faster.  One thing that we do know it Bills will play very safe on his injury like they always do with injuries.

What has attracted players to the Bills is our world class training facility.  I think we got the top guys and resources to get our players ready.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is back for the opener.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What has attracted players to the Bills is our world class training facility.  I think we got the top guys and resources to get our players ready.

OK you are Building a Team....  Do you build your team with the HOPE his body responds and is back Week 1 (knowing your coaching staff plays it safe all the time with INJ) OR do you Build your team looking at this as your CB1 and CB2 right now....  Dane and Cam 

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon changed the title to Bills status for Week 2 of UFA (Beane: We are pretty much Done; now shifting focus to Draft).
5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK you are Building a Team....  Do you build your team with the HOPE his body responds and is back Week 1 (knowing your coaching staff plays it safe all the time with INJ) OR do you Build your team looking at this as your CB1 and CB2 right now....  Dane and Cam 

I didn't think we were diving into this as well.  I expect us to draft a corner in the 1st two rounds this year.

I think you build the team knowing Tre will be back early if not the start of the season.  I think Beane knows we need more corners.

The Recovery

Just a note that while that is the average, it’s been trending shorter and that average also includes players with multiple ligaments or complications

Banged up Bills did an update where Tre seems to have avoided both.  His estimate was that Tre might try to come back early, but the Bills might hold him out 9 months which would be mid-Sept from his surgery.  Apparently there’s a higher risk of reinjury coming back sooner

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is extremely unlikely. We don't even want him back by the opener. We want him to get completely right before he comes back.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

This is extremely unlikely. We don't even want him back by the opener. We want him to get completely right before he comes back.

I think the doctors will determine when his knee is at full strength.  If it's by the opener, then he will be out there.

If it's not, then he won't.  

I've known several people who have recovered from ACL tears and were back well before 10 months.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the doctors will determine when his knee is at full strength.  If it's by the opener, then he will be out there.

If it's not, then he won't.  

I've known several people who have recovered from ACL tears and were back well before 10 months.

Yup, it's different for each person, and I agree with you regarding Bills top notch facility... I have to think having that type of equipment/training/recovery at your disposal could make some sort of difference.

Sounds like Beane is pretty much done, but I can’t imagine he doesn’t address corner at some point before the draft.  

I also don’t trust a word he says anymore about these types of things, and I’m definitely not saying that’s a bad thing!

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The Recovery

The 10.8 months isn't about being ready to play. Read the actual study, found in the footnotes of your link there.

It's about returning to game play. So if guys were ready in mid-July, they still didn't return until Week 1.

Doesn't look to me like a coincidence that the off-season is just over 8 months. That puts the average time at about mid-season for those who could return by week one. How many guys get hurt in OTAs or camp, miss the whole season and then can't see game play till September even if healthy in June.

Also, they weren't claiming great accuracy. They only studied 31 guys who came back. That's just not a big enough sample size to claim accuracy, nor do they.

31 guys and too many other factors.

Their only claim that they make based on their own numbers is that people are recovering faster than genuinely believed.

Edited by Thurman#1

• MAJBobby changed the title to Bills status for Week 2 of UFA (Beane: We are pretty much Done; now shifting focus to Draft. And LIED to all of us. ).

I don't think he was lying. He said he was done with high priced signings and would only be in on guys that "value opportunity over money" on 1-year deals to improve their stock for next season.

Jamison Crowder signed a 1-year deal worth UP TO (keywords) 4 million dollars. An absolute bargain for him, when you consider he's probably making closer to 3. No numbers for Duke Johnson yet, but I imagine that's again, another low price bargain deal.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

Beane Lied to us. Still signing. By my counts we need a Swing OT and a CB still and will be sitting very well to head into the draft. 

I loathe it when people toss the word "Lied" around

For one thing, when Beane goes on the show, he probably isn't following what's out in public or not yet.  So if he knows about a couple cap moves or pending deals that haven't been announced yet, they're "done" in his mind and he's talking about future moves.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For one thing, when Beane goes on the show, he probably isn't following what's out in public or not yet.  So if he knows about a couple cap moves or pending deals that haven't been announced yet, they're "done" in his mind and he's talking about future moves.

I don’t think Bobby was being too serious…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right like in the presser he talked about being right up against the cap, and when they asked how that'd work with needing a back up QB he then mentioned there other moves he'd already factored in.

image.png.ab5957022d93dac99395b43d7799c1ad.png

Bills 'pretty much done' after Monday moves

If this is mostly it for the Bills, and it sounds like it is, then it was a pretty successful free agency period.

The Bills got their pass rusher. They replaced their backup quarterback. They brought in a tight end to pair with their emerging one. They brought back a few key players.

Brandon Beane appeared on the "Pat McAfee Show" and indicated that the Bills were looking past free agency period to the draft.

"We've got to knock this draft out, because we're pretty much done with free agency," Beane said Monday.

https://buffalonews.com/bn-blitz-bills-pretty-much-done-after-monday-moves/article_d917c70a-a97d-11ec-8eed-77c21947c0b7.html

• Agree 3

Great FA, biggest positional need in order:

1. CB: likely need 2.  Somehow find a FA, still options to swing a 1 yr deal, and an early-mid draft pick.  Alot hinges on when they think that Tre will be healthy to play.

2. G/IOL: need another starter, or at least someone to compete with or potentially replace Bates if he is signed elsewhere.  Round 1-3 ideally.

3. WR: would love another playmaker, but not sure we "need" someone round 1.  Another outside guy is preferable.  With a deep draft, this could be anywhere round 1-4 but I'd think round 2-3 is going to be best value.

4. RB: still think we could look to upgrade, or very least look for a complimentary type, ie: speed/scatback.

5. Depth: Tackle, IOL, LB/ST, CB and Dline.  I'd expect our round 4-7 to fill in some depth and look for someone who might have slid.

Overall, I think we are set up very nicely going into draft to focus on BPA, but #1 and 2 on list above should certainly be an early focus.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Omg a joke. Putting a little levity into the post. 

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Who cares if he "lied" to "us"?

A sense of humor would be nice. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I see 2 CBs  and a punter in the draft. Poor Brandon is out of Cash....lol

Yep, the year after the Panther’s Super Bowl visit they let both corners leave in FA. Carolina then drafted three corners (2,3,5 rounds). I expect something similar this year for the Bills. McDermott has proven he can coach up the defensive backfield. The Bills might sign a vet or two but will happen after draft and/or will not be players we get excited about. 

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.