Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 2.0 - Bills take Treylon Burks: 3.0 - Bills take Breece Hall

YoloinOhio

I am really liking the idea of WR Calvin Austin at 3rd Rd pick 89…3rd fastest WR 40 time at 4.32 at the combine…in comparison… Tyreek Hill runs a 4.29

They had Tyreek listed as 5’8” 185 lbs at his combine…Austin is listed as 5’8” 170lbs… so he might have to hit the weight room a little. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I couldn't disagree more. When we drafted Tre White in 2017, he started from Day 1. I'd expect the same after taking a CB in Round 1 in 2022.

If the plan were to sign a Starter in FA, that would have been addressed early. The fact that we were never in on one says to me Round 1 has always been the plan for opposite Tre.

I believe we may sign a veteran like Joe Haden on a 1-yr deal if he's willing to come cheap to add to a 1st Round CB to help fill in the void for a few games without Tre and then to be depth alongside Dane Jackson.

But a Stephon Gilmore, James Bradberry type signing isn't happening. We can't afford it and we're already paying Tre big money. Truly feel the plan has always been to upgrade Levi at CB2 and have them under an affordable Rookie deal by drafting in Round 1. 

Heck, if we continue to fill holes with bargains and the roster is in pretty good shape - it wouldn't shock me to see Beane move up in Round 1 for one of the top two CB's. Especially if one of them slips a little.

I agree 100%. Nice analysis. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:59 PM, Ray Stonada said:

Why do people think this is a need?

The Bills don’t need a wideout anywhere near as much as IOL and DE.

Diggs and Davis dominated defenses in 2020, and when they had a chance to play together in ‘21.

Why fix what isn’t broke?

Because drafting for need is dumb. 

Simple.

4 hours ago, billieve420 said:

No thanks to RBs in the 1st. If you can get some value by trading down and picking one I will hate pick less. Denver for years could take an undrafted RB and churn out 1000 yd runners with ease. That is really all this offense needs not a superstar at position.

Denver had a much better OL than we do. 

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Because drafting for need is dumb. 

Simple.

Beane usually telegraphs where he’s going early in the draft by what he doesn’t do in free agency.  There were plenty of edge rushers available in free agency last year.  We passed on all of them.  Then drafted 2 with our first 2 picks.  I definitely think there’s 5-6 DB’s that Beane would take at pick 25.  

3 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Not since 1999 and Marshall Faulk has the Super Bowl champion had a 1st team all pro running back. Why? Because it is a passing league. Need to be able to pass and defend the pass at a high level. Bills need CB or help to keep Josh upright from the oline more than they need a running back in the first round. 

the following super winners since 1999 all disagree with you. 

2000 Ravens with Jamal Lewis, 1,300+ yards, 6TDs

2001 Patriots with Antwon Smith, 1,100+ yards, 12TDs 

2004 Patriots with Corey Dillon, 1,600+ yards, 12TDs

2005 Steelers with Willie Parker, 1,200+ yards 

2012 Ravens with Ray Rice, 1,100+ yards, 9TDs

2013 Seahawks with Marshawn Lynch, 1,200+ yards, 12TDs

2016 Patriots with Legarrette Blount, 1,100+ yards, 18TDs

Then there’s other super winners that had respectable 1,000+ yard seasons with their RBs. And anyone that wants to argue that nothing is special about a 1,000 yard season, needs to look directly at Devin Singletary and how he has never had a 1,000 yard season. 

2006 Colts had 1,000+ with Addai

2007 Giants had 1,000+ with Jacobs 

Then there’s the teams that lost the Super Bowls in those years as well. I’ve already done enough work to make my point but off the top of my head the following teams were all run heavy. All had over 1,000+ yard rushers. 

1999 Titans

2000 Giants

2001 Rams

2003 Panthers

2005 Seahawks

2006 Bears

2010 Steelers

2012 49ers

2013 Broncos

2014 Seahawks

2016 Falcons

2018 Rams

2021 Bengals

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I couldn't disagree more. When we drafted Tre White in 2017, he started from Day 1. I'd expect the same after taking a CB in Round 1 in 2022.

If the plan were to sign a Starter in FA, that would have been addressed early. The fact that we were never in on one says to me Round 1 has always been the plan for opposite Tre.

I believe we may sign a veteran like Joe Haden on a 1-yr deal if he's willing to come cheap to add to a 1st Round CB to help fill in the void for a few games without Tre and then to be depth alongside Dane Jackson.

But a Stephon Gilmore, James Bradberry type signing isn't happening. We can't afford it and we're already paying Tre big money. Truly feel the plan has always been to upgrade Levi at CB2 and have them under an affordable Rookie deal by drafting in Round 1. 

Heck, if we continue to fill holes with bargains and the roster is in pretty good shape - it wouldn't shock me to see Beane move up in Round 1 for one of the top two CB's. Especially if one of them slips a little.

I didn’t say pick 25 can’t start. I just don’t think the Bills would go into the draft with the mindset of they need an instant starter at 25.

But that also makes me believe they could have a deal in place to move up in the draft. 

All I’m saying is I can’t believe they expect a rookie 25 overall to come in day 1 and start on a super bowl roster. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn’t say pick 25 can’t start. I just don’t think the Bills would go into the draft with the mindset of they need an instant starter at 25.

But that also makes me believe they could have a deal in place to move up in the draft. 

All I’m saying is I can’t believe they expect a rookie 25 overall to come in day 1 and start on a super bowl roster. 

We had the 30th overall starting at Defensive End in our Super Bowl push last year. The Packers started the 29th overall pick at Cornerback. And last season, we were starting journeyman Levi Wallace, who we let go with the expectation that we could get an upgrade at the position in the Draft. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We had the 30th overall starting at Defensive End in our Super Bowl push last year. The Packers started the 29th overall pick at Cornerback. And last season, we were starting journeyman Levi Wallace, who we let go with the expectation that we could get an upgrade at the position in the Draft. 

They didn’t draft him expecting him to start. They expect him to eventually start, but not day 1. Right now it looks as if they’re looking for a day 1 starter at CB. I just can’t make myself believe they’re thinking that way. 

Again I’m not saying a CB at 25 can’t start day 1, it’s just not the plan. It can’t be.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Then there’s other super winners that had respectable 1,000+ yard seasons with their RBs. And anyone that wants to argue that nothing is special about a 1,000 yard season, needs to look directly at Devin Singletary and how he has never had a 1,000 yard season. 

Then there’s the teams that lost the Super Bowls in those years as well. I’ve already done enough work to make my point but off the top of my head the following teams were all run heavy. All had over 1,000+ yard rushers. 

1999 Titans

2000 Giants

2001 Rams

2003 Panthers

2005 Seahawks

2006 Bears

2010 Steelers

2012 49ers

2013 Broncos

2014 Seahawks

2016 Falcons

2018 Rams

2021 Bengals

Okay? I said first team all pro, which none of the players you listed were. In fact, none of them even made 2nd team all pro the year they won the super bowl. So you still didn’t make your point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t draft him expecting him to start. They expect him to eventually start, but not day 1. Right now it looks as if they’re looking for a day 1 starter at CB. I just can’t make myself believe they’re thinking that way. 

Again I’m not saying a CB at 25 can’t start day 1, it’s just not the plan. It can’t be.

It happens every year across the league. Like I said, we did it at DE last season. Green Bay did it with a CB at 29 last season as a Super Bowl favorite. We did it in 2017. 1st Rounders are generally starters and they go in the First Round because they are very talented.

I don't get why you're having such a hard time accepting it? Especially when we had Levi Wallace back there last season and a 1st Rounder will, more likely than not, be an upgrade. And if they perform like Tre did in his rookie year when we took him at 27, an EXTREME upgrade.

We don't have the money for a big time veteran via FA or Trade. It's something we could have done, but they valued Von Miller over that. Nor should we pay for one when we have Tre signed to big money on the other side already.

This is the way.

14 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Okay? I said first team all pro, which none of the players you listed were. In fact, none of them even made 2nd team all pro the year they won the super bowl. So you still didn’t make your point. 

Yeah. I guess I was proven wrong because you used the first team all pro thing. Which is comical. The fact is, that everyone on this site has been arguing the importance of having a legitimate RB that actually produces. If you want to get picky about someone being an all pro then that’s your prerogative  

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Plan is probably to keep a Peterson or Haden on the back burner in case a worthy CB isn’t there at pick 25.  

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It happens every year across the league. Like I said, we did it at DE last season. Green Bay did it with a CB at 29 last season as a Super Bowl favorite. We did it in 2017. 1st Rounders are generally starters and they go in the First Round because they are very talented.

I don't get why you're having such a hard time accepting it? Especially when we had Levi Wallace back there last season and a 1st Rounder will, more likely than not, be an upgrade. And if they perform like Tre did in his rookie year when we took him at 27, an EXTREME upgrade.

We don't have the money for a big time veteran via FA or Trade. It's something we could have done, but they valued Von Miller over that. Nor should we pay for one when we have Tre signed to big money on the other side already.

This is the way.

Green Bay didn’t do it last year. Stokes start game 3 and Green Bay had injuries.

You’re not understanding the difference between can start day 1 vs expecting to start day 1.

There is a huge difference between starting games as a rookie and starting games as a rookie from day 1.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Plan is probably to keep a Peterson or Haden on the back burner in case a worthy CB isn’t there at pick 25.  

That could be the plan. Probably the most likely plan is they told veteran CBs to wait until the draft. Also a trade up possibility could be in the works. The team to watch is obviously the NY Giants who have already said they want picks next year. Could the Bills move 25, 2023 1st and 2nd, for pick 7?

Sauce Gardner.

We forget the same s***** we see year after year. Everyone was sopping wet over Harris and Etienne last year. Anybody want Najee over Rousseau now.?

Swift. Dobbins. Edwards SHElaire. Moss. MOSS?? MMOOOSSS?! 🤬. Taylors a monster (scores 1-10).

You can play this game going back 10years. Every team thinks they're smarter than everyone else, that's other team NOT USSS... and then they are.

Invest capital into a high bust rate position. That can't stay healthy, no matter who they are. They need a new contract after year 4, just in time for their transmission to blow. 

Is anyone that hard up for 3,200 yards over a 4 year return.

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We forget the same s***** we see year after year. Everyone was sopping wet over Harris and Etienne last year. Anybody want Najee over Rousseau now.?

Swift. Dobbins. Edwards SHElaire. Moss. MOSS?? MMOOOSSS?! 🤬. Taylors a monster (scores 1-10).

You can play this game going back 10years. Every team thinks they're smarter than everyone else, that's other team NOT USSS... and then they are.

Invest capital into a high bust rate position. That can't stay healthy, no matter who they are. They need a new contract after year 4, just in time for their transmission to blow. 

Is anyone that hard up for 3,200 yards over a 4 year return.

Just made me think that the Chiefs took CEH over Jonathan Taylor. 😳

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills took Hall in the 1st, and a CB in the 2nd- especially if McD is serious about wanting to reduce Allen’s designed runs...

After all, the main reason Allen is forced to run is because of the inconsistent production from Singletary and Moss...

When the line became functional, Singletary was anything but inconsistent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I hear you, and it's logical.

But this FO has never been one that at CB2 plans either for a Gilmore - Bradberry type FA or a high draft pick.

Just the opposite, You could certainly be right, but my bet is we see them continuing with SOP, bringing in a lowish level but solid, smart guy - a Wallaceish type - as the pressure on the FAs ratchets up as time passes. And then getting another somewhere in the early to mid rounds. With CB as one of the 3 - 5 positions they consider positions of need if BPA is there.

2 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

6 CBs were taken in the 1st Round of the 2020 Draft ahead of Jonathan Taylor of the Colts at pick 41… 2 were taken in the top 10 ( one at pick 3) ., without the use of google… can you name any of them? 

I see your point. But it's cherry-picking.

Can people name the other two RBs picked before Taylor? Were they good picks?

And it's fairly typical that CBs take 2 or 3 seasons before becoming great while RBs who become great become great earlier and also wear down earlier.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think CB would be the smart pick. But I wouldn't be mad if Hall was the pick at 25, just because I think he would make the offense filthy and I think Beane and McDermott are good analyzers of defensive backs, so I would have faith they would still land one in the following rounds. But I would have to guess that cb or iol will be the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

1999 Titans

2000 Giants

2001 Rams

2003 Panthers

2005 Seahawks

2006 Bears

2010 Steelers

2012 49ers

2013 Broncos

2014 Seahawks

2016 Falcons

2018 Rams

2021 Bengals

Excellent post!

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I hear you, and it's logical.

But this FO has never been one that at CB2 plans either for a Gilmore - Bradberry type FA or a high draft pick.

Just the opposite, You could certainly be right, but my bet is we see them continuing with SOP, bringing in a lowish level but solid, smart guy - a Wallaceish type - as the pressure on the FAs ratchets up as time passes. And then getting another somewhere in the early to mid rounds. With CB as one of the 3 - 5 positions they consider positions of need if BPA is there.

I don't think they look at things in terms of CB1 v. CB2. It's a starting CB. When they drafted Tre White in Round 1, I don't think they were thinking "we're only doing this bc he's a CB1". They just knew they needed a starting Corner. It wasn't until they saw how good he looked at Training Camp (as well as E.J. Gaines), that they made that decision and traded Ronald Darby.

I also think they never put much into CB2 because Levi Wallace blew them away from his very first game and they felt comfortable with him for 4 seasons.

But after watching Levi get lit up in relief of Tre and Dane Jackson not looking quite as well as he did in his rookie season, I believe they realized they need to have more than just one high quality CB if we are to face multiple high powered passing offenses en route to a Super Bowl. Especially after seeing what happens if Tre goes down with injury.

My issue with waiting until Round 2 is there's a big dropoff in talent projection between the top 6 CB's and the next best. And all 6 will be taken by the time we pick at 57.  I expect Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Booth, McCreary, and Elam to be off the board by 40.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I see your point. But it's cherry-picking.

Can people name the other two RBs picked before Taylor? Were they good picks?

And it's fairly typical that CBs take 2 or 3 seasons before becoming great while RBs who become great become great earlier and also wear down earlier.

The two picked before Taylor were Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Swift. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. Taylor was obviously to me the best back in that class.

As for corners that was the Jeff Okudah (I had a really high grade on him it hasn't worked out yet), CJ Henderson (who I didn't have a first round grade on and has struggled pretty much as I expected) class. The third corner off the board was AJ Terrell though and he is a stud, and Trevon Diggs was that class too and while he is a bit boom or bust he is a playmaker. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I really think this is gonna depend on what’s there at 25 been doesn’t reach that means if the top corners are all gone he’s going to go in another direction I really do believe that if he top corner is on the board that’s what we take if they’re all gone a lot of positions are on the table I don’t think trading back is really an option this roster is so sad and we have brought in so many veterans

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I really think this is gonna depend on what’s there at 25 been doesn’t reach that means if the top corners are all gone he’s going to go in another direction I really do believe that if he top corner is on the board that’s what we take if they’re all gone a lot of positions are on the table I don’t think trading back is really an option this roster is so sad and we have brought in so many veterans

What?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mel Kiper has us taking Jahan Dotson at 25 today. Happens to be my favorite WR in the draft. 🙂

Interestingly, he has G/C Johnson going with the next pick, then Hall and Burks with the next two picks. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mel Kiper has us taking Jahan Dotson at 25 today. Happens to be my favorite WR in the draft. 🙂

If I can’t have Breece Hall, this would be a great consolation prize. 

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

Interestingly, he has G/C Johnson going with the next pick, then Hall and Burks with the next two picks. 

Would be really cool to be a fly on the wall to see our draft board right now. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Exactly…And we are in win the Superbowl mode now.  We need to sign a veteran CB and develop a younger one or 2..  But Breece Hall would make an impact immediately borh in the running game and passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

Can you just imagine how pissed off Sauce Gardner is gonna be if he gets taken by the jets, 😂

11 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Not since 1999 and Marshall Faulk has the Super Bowl champion had a 1st team all pro running back. Why? Because it is a passing league. Need to be able to pass and defend the pass at a high level. Bills need CB or help to keep Josh upright from the oline more than they need a running back in the first round. 

Greatest Show on Turf was because of combo run/pass situation in St. Louis 

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just made me think that the Chiefs took CEH over Jonathan Taylor. 😳

Some wouldn’t believe the game tape! Thought JT28 had too much mileage on legs

Who do you think Josh would want?  The stud WR, that's who. 

That's why you would ask Josh, because that is who the FO wanted all along.  You tell him, once you get this guy, Josh has to use him for at least 3 years.  Josh will gladly agree.  This is the Sanders replacement with much more long term potential value.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.