He's Officially "Saint Doug" Once Again

BuffaloBillyG

he sucked, but mularky sucked worse.

ironically, mularky was some kind of genius in scripting opening drives.  mainly due to the run game design.  i remember the bills were horrible under him, but scored on like 11 of 16 opening drives that season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, colin said:

ironically, mularky was some kind of genius in scripting opening drives.  mainly due to the run game design.  i remember the bills were horrible under him, but scored on like 11 of 16 opening drives that season.

What's amazing is that Mularkey got 2 other head coaching jobs after he quit in Buffalo. 

Actually, what's more amazing is that the Bills had 2 head coaches QUIT in a roughly 10 year span. We've come SO FAR from that mess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

“Don’t confuse effort for success…”

remember  all those banners up in the field house? Bet he still has them,

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Marrone continues to find employment. Wonder if he plans to undercut Dennis Allen and take the HC job like he did in Jacksonville?

You know this story was planted by super agent Jimmy Sexton.  Key role = offensive line coach/asst HC

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Marrone continues to find employment. Wonder if he plans to undercut Dennis Allen and take the HC job like he did in Jacksonville?

i actually thought he did a nice job in Jax. He came in, stabbed the HC in the back, and then took full credit for the superb defense that that guy built en route to one good season. When he couldn’t take credit for other people’s work anymore, the team went into the toilet, and he got out of dodge with millions. So, mission accomplished. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i actually thought he did a nice job in Jax. He came in, stabbed the HC in the back, and then took full credit for the superb defense that that guy built en route to one good season. When he couldn’t take credit for other people’s work anymore, the team went into the toilet, and he got out of dodge with millions. So, mission accomplished. 

You forgot that he even stabbed his buddy Nate Hackett in the back and fired him (after Hackett reportedly helped get him hired there as a member of Hackett's staff) and used him as a scapegoat to buy 1 more year.

Not shocked at ALL Nate didn't bring him to Denver.

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's still hard to fathom that Marrone came with a blown late 4th quarter lead of taking the Jags to the Superbowl just 5 years ago.

Not sure if he's ever going to climb the HC mantle again in this league but he's definitely had a certain degree of success in this league.

You can’t take that away from him.  But that was such a weird season.  That Jacksonville team was one that seemed to just get a lot breaks, carried by an awesome defense.  All Blake Bortles had to do was not screw up and offenses like that often have a defined ceiling.  

They struggled to beat a weak Bills teams in the wildcard round and the proceeded to play two pretty good games after.  

It should be noted that Marrone would finish 12-36 after his appearance in the AFCGC

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

You can’t take that away from him.  But that was such a weird season.  That Jacksonville team was one that seemed to just get a lot breaks, carried by an awesome defense.  All Blake Bortles had to do was not screw up and offenses like that often have a defined ceiling.  

They struggled to beat a weak Bills teams in the wildcard round and the proceeded to play two pretty good games after.  

It should be noted that Marrone would finish 12-36 after his appearance in the AFCGC

Yep the Jags certainly peaked that year and it was all downhill after.

And even if you take Marrone's two season in Buffalo to account it wasn't all that impressive but 2014 probably should have been a playoff year here too because that defense was very good and the offense was good enough especially once Orton was in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

What's amazing is that Mularkey got 2 other head coaching jobs after he quit in Buffalo. 

Actually, what's more amazing is that the Bills had 2 head coaches QUIT in a roughly 10 year span. We've come SO FAR from that mess. 

While everyone is saying how much he sucks, what's also amazing is that the two HCs that quit on us quit after our only 2 winning seasons during the draught.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's still hard to fathom that Marrone came with a blown late 4th quarter lead of taking the Jags to the Superbowl just 5 years ago.

Not sure if he's ever going to climb the HC mantle again in this league but he's definitely had a certain degree of success in this league.

To be fair to Marrone in that game. The refs allowed the Pats back it in it with a bogus PI call which was crucial. The Jags players got gut punched and couldnt recover and Brady did most of the rest. The Jags played over their heads in that game and against anybody else would have won it. But against the Pats they were up against a great team and massively bias officiating!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You forgot that he even stabbed his buddy Nate Hackett in the back and fired him (after Hackett reportedly helped get him hired there as a member of Hackett's staff) and used him as a scapegoat to buy 1 more year.

Not shocked at ALL Nate didn't bring him to Denver.

haha— so true. I am sure Dougie now claims credit for Hackett being from “his coaching tree” too. 

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

To be fair to Marrone in that game. The refs allowed the Pats back it in it with a bogus PI call which was crucial. The Jags players got gut punched and couldnt recover and Brady did most of the rest. The Jags played over their heads in that game and against anybody else would have won it. But against the Pats they were up against a great team and massively bias officiating!

there was NO WAY the refs were going to allow the Jaguars to win that game. It was totally 1-sided officiating that cost the Jaguars points and gave NE points. 

A 14 point lead on Brady? LOL 

That's 1 well-timed PI penalty and one great pass from being tied up. 

4 hours ago, colin said:

After Wade Phillips, I think Mularkey was the second best of the Bills "drought era" head coaches.  That isn't saying much, I realize...😀

Edited by Buftex
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“Don’t confuse effort for success…”

remember  all those banners up in the field house? Bet he still has them,

A truly bad "inspirational" saying.

To me, it's always seemed to undermine the importance of effort.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buftex said:

After Wade Phillips, I think Mularkey was the second best of the Bills "drought era" head coaches.  That isn't saying much, I realize...😀

Nah, those teams were putrid, and we were never close to having a shot in our division or making the playoffs.  We had a horribly unbalanced team that nearly made the playoffs under Saint Doug.  Both were losers, but Mularkey was simply more of a coward.

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

A truly bad "inspirational" saying.

To me, it's always seemed to undermine the importance of effort.

No doubt, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.