Rumored Giants Players Available for Trade

SCBills

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Barkley and the Bills seem like a match this offseason.

I agree and people disliking the above comment are not seeing the potential here.

A one year rental for a low round draft pick for an elite player who underperformed in his first year post ACL surgery, whose contract is I believe not more than the top 10 running back.

So...for something like a sixth round pick you could get the 2nd best RB in the league, who is likely to have a crazy breakout season in his second year after an ACL.

Put it this way. Take McKenzie (who I really like) and Taiwan Jones and a couple other special team elite players. Replace them with minimum salary players. Take the difference and subtract it from Barkley's salary for the one year. Who contributes more to wins across the season, Barkley or those guys? Shoot, Barkley would be insane running jet motion with Singletary and Allen running RPOs.

Anyway, if you have a chance to get an in his prime Adrian Peterson on a one year rental for a sixth round pick, while paying him top 10 rb money...like are people not appreciating the potential and likely breakout season Barkley is about to have?

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll take Gronk for $7.2m over Barkley.  Gronk is like a 6th OL and is also a chain mover and a red zone threat.  He moves the needle more than Barkley.  If we’re looking to improve at RB, there’s free agents who will be cheaper than $7.2m.  Fournette, Melvin Gordon, Marlon Mack. Patterson might be cheaper than $7.2m.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

7.2 isn't really that bad in 2022 guys. If they could restructure a little of it to lower it a bit I'm listening on a Barkley trade.

They cannot restructure it.  It’s fully guaranteed - player has ZERO incentive to make any changes to his deal.  You trade for him you’re acquiring a FULLY GUARANTEED $7m liability that you’re stuck with even if he’s hurt or sad or just sucks.  The Giants would have to throw in a high draft pick just to get someone to take that contract off of their hands - that’s how untradeable he is.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d think there would be little to do with the NYG as far as player trades.  With a new regime the two big drivers usually are:

- Poor scheme fit of existing players.  As I’d expect Daboll to require similar skill sets to those on our roster I’d expect him to be getting rid of players that don’t fit our system.  He might want to acquire players from us, but we really don’t have anyone of high value to give up.  Maybe just looking at a depth player with upside.

- Shedding older, higher priced vets to purge cap.  Really don’t see the fit here.  We aren’t looking to take on many big contracts. 

I see pick for picks draft weekend trades as more likely.

• Like (+1) 1

Think it also must be pointed out the Giants oline according to our good friends at PFF was ranked 30th in the NFL add to that Daniel Jones was the QB so all you had to do on offense was stack the box to stop Saquan.

Then again the Bills finished 17th so it wasn’t like they where 1980s Hogs out there they just have a QB who literally turns into Wolverine from X-men when he’s on his game.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

22 hours ago, MJS said:

Watkins had years of injury concerns already, though. And he later admitted to having to mature and become a better team player after he left the Bills.

I guess we don't know if Toney has any character concerns, but it is pretty tough to label him injury prone after one season.

Judging by his comments after the Henry Ruggs mess, I’d say there are a few character concerns 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have no idea how he'll hold up physically.

He has been in the league for 4 years and has played a full season once. His YPC went from 5 to 3.7. Please show me a case where an older RB with an ACL injury in their history turned into a more durable player?  

29 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He has been in the league for 4 years and has played a full season once. His YPC went from 5 to 3.7. Please show me a case where an older RB with an ACL injury in their history turned into a more durable player?  

He just turned 24 years old. The injuries also mean less carries over 4 seasons.

I understand the injury history is a concern. An example? Look no further than James Connor last year. He's been injured every year and last year put together a good season.

The cap number is the worry. Conner played on a very low cap number, Barkley wouldn't. But it's only a 1 year risk. 

I look at the 1 year more than the cap number. The 1 year deal is what makes him a match for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d think there would be little to do with the NYG as far as player trades.  With a new regime the two big drivers usually are:

- Poor scheme fit of existing players.  As I’d expect Daboll to require similar skill sets to those on our roster I’d expect him to be getting rid of players that don’t fit our system.  He might want to acquire players from us, but we really don’t have anyone of high value to give up.  Maybe just looking at a depth player with upside.

- Shedding older, higher priced vets to purge cap.  Really don’t see the fit here.  We aren’t looking to take on many big contracts. 

I see pick for picks draft weekend trades as more likely.

This makes a ton of sense and hits the mark. They are going to want the same types of players. Especially if they wind up hiring a Steve Wilks as a D-coordinator. Then it's gonna be Buffalo south. I could see trades sending our guys to them being more likely than us taking from them. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Edmunds and a 3rd round pick straight up for Bradbury and Barkley who says no?

Time for Beane to fleece his protege.

The Bills do because they'd be taking on roughly 18 million dollars in cap spce and giving up a 3rd rounder and even though i'm not a huge fan, arguably the best players in the deal

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills do because they'd be taking on roughly 18 million dollars in cap spce and giving up a 3rd rounder and even though i'm not a huge fan, arguably the best players in the deal

If the Bills feel Bradberry is true #1 quality CB then they can trade for him and extend him to lower the cap hit significantly. His cap hit is only $1.3 million in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Why is everyone considering a $7.2 million cap hit to be that bad? Mario Addison had an $8.2 million cap hit last year. Getting a young RB two years after his ACL injury on an offense where he wouldn't have to carry the load sounds like an ideal scenario to me.

What is happening

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He just turned 24 years old. The injuries also mean less carries over 4 seasons.

I understand the injury history is a concern. An example? Look no further than James Connor last year. He's been injured every year and last year put together a good season.

The cap number is the worry. Conner played on a very low cap number, Barkley wouldn't. But it's only a 1 year risk. 

I look at the 1 year more than the cap number. The 1 year deal is what makes him a match for the Bills.

The Bills have to improve the OL, or signing an RB makes no sense (and with a better OL, they may have less need for a top RB talent; we're not gonna be a run-centric team).    They need to re-do the DL, even if they keep Star and re-sign Harry, it's just Not Good Enough.  They need a CB, even if they re-sign Wallace, because the smart money doesn't count on Tre to be "full go" by the start of next season - 9-12 month injury.

You may look at the 1 year more than the cap number, but the Bills have a lot to do.  They need to look at the cap number.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I can't imagine that he [Toney] is on the block. Doesn't seem to make much sense from the outside.

I agree, I think it's just Some Dude speculating.  Give your talented 1st round picks more than 1 year, especially with a coaching and scheme change.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Why is everyone considering a $7.2 million cap hit to be that bad? Mario Addison had an $8.2 million cap hit last year. Getting a young RB two years after his ACL injury on an offense where he wouldn't have to carry the load sounds like an ideal scenario to me.

Errrr....didn't almost everyone consider Mario Addison's $8.2M cap hit to be outrageous "overpayment for production" last season, given his 2020 contributions?

Same thing

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If the Bills feel Bradberry is true #1 quality CB then they can trade for him and extend him to lower the cap hit significantly. His cap hit is only $1.3 million in 2023. 

I agree with the first part, although with $13.4M cap hit they'd have to probably renegotiate prior to the trade.

OTOH, the man is 29, and in order to lower his cap hit he'd need a 3 or 4 year contract.

His cap hit is not "only $1.3M in 2023".  He's a FA in 2023.  That's a void year added onto the contract to amortize the signing bonus and reduce the cap hit in previous years.  https://overthecap.com/player/james-bradberry/4775/

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Errrr....didn't almost everyone consider Mario Addison's $8.2M cap hit to be outrageous "overpayment for production" last season, given his 2020 contributions?

Same thing

Yes, Addison was overpaid. My point is that it was not a prohibitive cap hit. If we take on Barkley's one year cap hit and cut Addison, it's a wash. And I believe the impact Barkley would have on the team would be substantially greater than Addison's impact has been.

This is the first time I've really considered the idea that Barkley would be a good trade candidate because all along I assumed that when people said his contract was "untradeable," it looked a lot worse than this. Now I see that it's a one year deal with a moderate cap hit for a player with incredible raw talent looking to prove himself in his last chance season before hitting free agency. The risk/reward trade off is more than worth it IMO. And if his contract is as "untradeable" as people say we can likely get him for a bargain.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Disagree 1

Toney is interesting.  He does have some Tyreek Hill to him which Beane repeatedly made reference to looking for, not quite as fast but incredibly quick.  They’d have to be convinced they can absorb the personality.  If so, I wonder if they’d send someone like Epenesa in a trade - would not shock me to see him used as trade collateral for someone this offseason.  Even though they’d be dealing him at a lowered value, he’s a cost-controlled asset at a premium position and the Bills may not have space for him (or a coherent plan for what to do with him).

On 2/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Barkley is almost a lock to be traded IMHO (even though some posters here said I was crazy and that he isnt going anywhere) and I think Bradberry likely could be out of there this year too.  I also think they will try and move Golladay, but they will have a harder time finding suitors for him and his contract. 

Toney on the other hand, I really doubt he goes anywhere.  2nd year player, kid can be electric, and he is cheap in terms of cap space.  He wasn't able to stay on the field, so who knows, maybe they just want to clean house and get value for him now (he would actually have by far the most trade value of these 3 in terms of compensation back between youth, explosiveness, and attractive contract situation) and invest in other parts of the team first like the trenches.  But, still seems a lot less likely than the other 2.

"some posters here said I was crazy"??

No they SAY you are crazy or senseless for thinking that the Bills can trade for him and just simply re-work his contract to lower his cap hit. :lol:

It makes absolutely zero sense for the player to do so unless the contract extension is close to what he could expect if he repeated his 2018 stats in 2022.........plus, of course, the $7.2M he is otherwise guaranteed in full for 2022.

The only way Barkley gets traded is an NBA style salary cap dump........the Giants are so up against the salary cap they aren't even in position to just do a bad contract swap.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.