Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think scheme wise for Tua... this is a fit. I argued they should go stretch zone last year. I don't think Tua quite has Jimmy G's arm but otherwise their skill sets are familiar. Both are "see it before I throw it" types rather than anticipatory throwers, both can move around but are not runners and both generally have decent touch but don't challenge tight windows. Myles Gaskin should thrive in the run game too although there is an element of re-making the oline that is still needed. 

So I get it with this hire schematically. The question is as posed above. Is he just a glorified coordinator or is he a leader of men? On that it remains to be seen. 

The 2 thoughts I had about this hire that I do not like:

1. If they retain Geiseki I think he finally gets used to his potential.

2. They will find many different ways to get Waddle the ball. He's not Deebo...but he's pretty dangerous with that speed.

Hope we play them for the first time after week 5 or 6 so we have an idea who he uses in what way.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

2. They will find many different ways to get Waddle the ball. He's not Deebo...but he's pretty dangerous with that speed.

Hope we play them for the first time after week 5 or 6 so we have and idea who he uses in what way.

The thing with Gesicki is he cannot block for toffee. He isn't a Kittle equivalent in any way. Kittle is a true do it all tight end. Gesicki isn't really a tight end. George Kittle lined up at tight end of 735 of his snaps this year and in the slot on 192. Gesicki lined up at tight end on 99 of his snaps this year, in the slot on 453 and wide 252. Gesicki is really only a tight end in name. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hope we play them for the first time after week 5 or 6 so we have an idea who he uses in what way.

To echo GunnerBill, Geisicki can’t block and isn’t really a TE.

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'd love to be the new coach walking into that locker room. They played hard for Flores, and he was fired. Then they find out the owner wanted them to lose basically for an entire year.

Team spirit baby.

• Haha (+1) 1

Like Denver, in hiring a guy who didn't call the offensive plays in Green Bay, Nathaniel Hackett.

This guy didn't call the plays in San Fran. This was his first season as OC as he was the 49ers run game coordinator.

He IS a minority HCing hire as his father was black! 

When you think about that coaching tree with 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan. In 2013 with Washington, Kyle was the OC. Rams HC, Sean McVay was the TE's coach! Green Bay HC, Matt LaFleur was the QB coach. 

Gonna be interesting! 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:48 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s a really smart guy and most of the coaches under Shanahan Jr’s. Tree have been very successful. There’s an article out there about Robert Saleh hoping Miami doesn’t bring McDaniel to the AFC East. Saleh worked with McDaniel in Frisco. He obviously knows something

Then again....if you were in my division and I was fairly confident I could own you, what would I say?

"Gee, I hope they don't hire that guy...."

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing with Gesicki is he cannot block for toffee. He isn't a Kittle equivalent in any way. Kittle is a true do it all tight end. Gesicki isn't really a tight end. George Kittle lined up at tight end of 735 of his snaps this year and in the slot on 192. Gesicki lined up at tight end on 99 of his snaps this year, in the slot on 453 and wide 252. Gesicki is really only a tight end in name. 

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To echo GunnerBill, Geisicki can’t block and isn’t really a TE.

A good coach adapts his scheme to fit his players. No one is saying Geiseki will be asked to do what Kittle can. He will be asked to play to his strengths if McDaniel is as good as people claim.

I never understand the notion where people believe that everything must be recreated line by line when coaches take over new teams. 

Geiseki won't be Kittle. Waddle won't be Deebo. But both can be used in different ways to exploit matchups. And from what many say about McDaniel he is good at finding ways to play to what his players do well and not forcing square pegs into round holes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

A good coach adapts his scheme to fit his players. No one is saying Geiseki will be asked to do what Kittle can. He will be asked to play to his strengths if McDaniel is as good as people claim.

I never understand the notion where people believe that everything must be recreated line by line when coaches take over new teams. 

Geiseki won't be Kittle. Waddle won't be Deebo. But both can be used in different ways to exploit matchups. And from what many say about McDaniel he is good at finding ways to play to what his players do well and not forcing square pegs into round holes.

He is going to run the Shanahan scheme. It is the only offense he has ever worked in his entire time in the league. That offense cannot operate without tight ends that block. I'd actually be slightly surprised now if Gesicki is back, because he doesn't really fit the profile of wide receivers that excel in that scheme either which is much more about short area quickness and precise route running in intermediate areas. Waddle is a great fit. I think there are guys in the draft that fit too - Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave... etc

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BananaB said:

Actually his resume is probably similar, to Brian Flores when he was hired by the Miami. Maybe better. What background do ya want? Not every coach needs to have nfl playing experience. Looks like he knew what he wanted to do the minute he left college and went out and pursued it.

Asked who is sponsor was as I knew NFL is a tight group and without any type of experience at any level, it is almost impossible to get in.  Normally guys without experience participated in coaching somewhere along the line in hight school or college first.  Got my answer it was his mom and Broncos Staff. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:56 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both his daughters are very attractive and seem to take after their mom in looks.

But I think they also effectively make my point that "racial ancestry" and "appearance" don't necessarily align very well, so it's pretty silly for the guy I was answering to demand that McDaniel "23 and me" to verify the race of his father because McDaniel doesn't "look black"

Louis Henry Gates, Jr, historian and host of the PBS series "Finding Your Roots" has found that most Blacks in the US who have had their DNA tested have about 24% European DNA, much of it originating during the antebellum era.  It's likely to be a similar percentage throughout the entire Black population except for those with recent African ancestry.  So, it's not uncommon for many mixed raced individuals to not look particularly "black".  

13 hours ago, Process said:

The 49ers are getting draft picks for this? That's a joke right?

The guys grandfather is black...he looks about as black as Brian Daboll. 

Dumbest rule/incentive/whatever you want to call it in all of sports. 

According to people who are worried about racial purity, "one drop of Black blood makes you Black".  

12 hours ago, klos63 said:

Well, owners don't want to hire anyone that's too black. Baby steps.

Great sarcasm ... some of the posters didn't get it.

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

They will be looking for a new HC in a few years. 

The Fish will be looking for a new HC every few years until they get a better owner than Ross and his predecessors.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He is going to run the Shanahan scheme. It is the only offense he has ever worked in his entire time in the league. That offense cannot operate without tight ends that block. I'd actually be slightly surprised now if Gesicki is back, because he doesn't really fit the profile of wide receivers that excel in that scheme either which is much more about short area quickness and precise route running in intermediate areas. Waddle is a great fit. I think there are guys in the draft that fit too - Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave... etc

Running a scheme doesn't mean you run it verbatim, though. Coaches that have success run their scheme with wrinkles and tweaks based on players they have. 

I do concede that new coaches often find players that fit what they want. However, as said above IF Geiseki is brought back I would say it's because McDaniel has a plan in place on how to fit him in.

11 hours ago, blacklabel said:

He saw Josh sling three of ‘em in 2020. That was a game where I felt he went to another level. He’d been good but people were like, “Saleh will shut him down.” Nope! 

Not 3 TDs.  4 TDs.  That was the "That *****in' Guy!" game where someone diagramming plays pointed out a couple where the 49ers did everything right and Josh beat them anyway - something they posited would have DC's throwing their clipboards going "That *****in' Guy"

That was a great game - if you're a Bills fan.   Even Cris Collinsworth was complimentary of Allen.  Course, when a guy throws 4 TD, 0 INT, and 80% completions for 375 yds even Collinsworth can't find a lot to support a narrative that "he isn't that good"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Rumor is McDaniel is talking with Fangio to be his DC. Solid DC pick up if he gets him 

https://dolphinstalk.com/2022/02/report-dolphins-interested-in-vic-fangio-as-defensive-coordinator/amp/

So Fangio would be McDaniels Wade Philips…?  Makes sense to follow a model that worked in the Tree.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Gesicki is a big WR

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Rumor is McDaniel is talking with Fangio to be his DC. Solid DC pick up if he gets him 

https://dolphinstalk.com/2022/02/report-dolphins-interested-in-vic-fangio-as-defensive-coordinator/amp/

I keep hearing Fangio doesn’t want a DC job and will likely take the year off

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He was a ball boy with the Broncos when he was in high school as his mom married a member of the Broncos video staff.  When he graduated from Yale Mike Shanahan hired him as an intern for his technical expertise.

59 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

Asked who is sponsor was as I knew NFL is a tight group and without any type of experience at any level, it is almost impossible to get in.  Normally guys without experience participated in coaching somewhere along the line in hight school or college first.  Got my answer it was his mom and Broncos Staff. 

He might not have coaching experience, but obvi was around the NFL since he was a kid and did get a job in the league after college (see Doc's post).  Not direct coaching experience, but he's been "in / around the industry" since he was a kid, guessing he gained some knowledge during that time...

He may have gotten the initial opportunity to be around the team because of his mom, but seems unlikely he got a coaching job years later, for no reason. :beer: 

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I doubt that the Dolphins mind.  He's a decent receiver so that's how they are using him.

That is how the Chan spread and the Charlie Frye E-P used him. That isn't really the skill set that the stretch zone WCO looks for. He is a FA and I think it would slightly surprising if they paid big money to retain him given the clunky scheme fit. That scheme wants Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, precise route runners with short area quickness. 

• Like (+1) 1

Flores worried me.  It just seemed like a matter of time before the Dolphins truly became a contender under his helm.  This guy and whoever the hell he brings in as coordinators - not to much.  IMO the East will be easier for the Bills to win next season then it was this season.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is how the Chan spread and the Charlie Frye E-P used him. That isn't really the skill set that the stretch zone WCO looks for. He is a FA and I think it would slightly surprising if they paid big money to retain him given the clunky scheme fit. That scheme wants Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, precise route runners with short area quickness. 

None of those guys are FA, but the Dolphins have plenty of cap space and plenty of draft picks.

Who do you see as a potential fit in the FA WR class?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/all/

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Flores worried me.  It just seemed like a matter of time before the Dolphins truly became a contender under his helm.  This guy and whoever the hell he brings in as coordinators - not to much.  IMO the East will be easier for the Bills to win next season then it was this season.

I dunno. 

I think Flores falls into the category of "coaches who try to bring Bill Belichick's system elsewhere without the Mad Respect and the winning record that make players suck it up and take it"

I think he's a good coach with a lot of fire and determination, but he needed to go to "charm school" and work on his interpersonal skills.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

None of those guys are FA, but the Dolphins have plenty of cap space and plenty of draft picks.

Who do you see as a potential fit in the FA WR class?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/all/

Of the "bigger names" Kirk and JuJu stand out. I also really Garrett Wilson out of Ohio State as a fit for them. He might go earlier in the draft (some have him ranked as the #1 WR but personally I am sceptical on that) but if he survives to the end of the first he is a scheme fit with their new offense. 

Think the Cowboys might part with Robert Foster, if indeed his rights are still with them?

I would advise Duke Williams, but I heard something about a couple of Hot Sam Pretzel shops he bought in Regina.  Between that, the Roughriders, and night stock clerk at Canadian Tire, he might be too busy.

The Dolphins scheme with McDaniel is going to kill the Buffalo defense especially Edmunds. 

Check out this video breakdown by Baldy on the zone motion scheme that McDaniel run and remember the Bills gave up 24 and could have easily been 31 the last time the Bills played the 49ers and that was with N Mullens at QB and Debo not getting the ball in the running game. Dolphins will have to find them a Debo Samuel's and  Cordarrelle Patterson is a free agent so we will see

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Estro said:

Calling my shot now:

He's going to be a disaster if a HC.

Just watching a couple of his pressers, I have serious doubts thus guys going to be a great leader of men. Seems like a total dweeb

Yeah he doesn't really look the part that's for sure. Interested to see how he handles it

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Calling my shot now:

He's going to be a disaster if a HC.

Just watching a couple of his pressers, I have serious doubts thus guys going to be a great leader of men. Seems like a total dweeb

I dunno. 
He’s just an example of GMs doubling down on the latest trend. You like Sean McVay? Well how about Mike McDaniel?

Theres no one successful type of NFL coach anymore. That “leader of men” thing has passed its expiration date. 
- the Jr High Gym Coach type, McDermott. He’ll run drills alongside you and dare you to keep up. 
- the Tough Guy Who’s Got Your Back Ron Rivera type. 
- the I’ve Seen It All and Earned Your Respect Andy Reid/Belichick type

- the Wunderkind Would Be Called a Gym Rat if football were played in a gym McDaniel/McVay type (helps if your dad was a coach, but that can be overcome by hanging around for years as if your dad was a coach)

As far as I can tell the only coaching style that’s effectively dead is the Rex Ryan Loudmouth Prototype. No one seems to be offering those guys a job. Jon Gruden was the final kick to the nuts of those guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I dunno. 
He’s just an example of GMs doubling down on the latest trend. You like Sean McVay? Well how about Mike McDaniel?

Theres no one successful type of NFL coach anymore. That “leader of men” thing has passed its expiration date. 
- the Jr High Gym Coach type, McDermott. He’ll run drills alongside you and dare you to keep up. 
- the Tough Guy Who’s Got Your Back Ron Rivera type. 
- the I’ve Seen It All and Earned Your Respect Andy Reid/Belichick type

- the Wunderkind Would Be Called a Gym Rat if football were played in a gym McDaniel/McVay type (helps if your dad was a coach, but that can be overcome by hanging around for years as if your dad was a coach)

As far as I can tell the only coaching style that’s effectively dead is the Rex Ryan Loudmouth Prototype. No one seems to be offering those guys a job. Jon Gruden was the final kick to the nuts of those guys. 

Bill O’ Brien is still lurking the sidelines.  Unfortunately, TB12 isn’t around anymore to tell him to STFU.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was a great game - if you're a Bills fan.   Even Cris Collinsworth was complimentary of Allen.  Course, when a guy throws 4 TD, 0 INT, and 80% completions for 375 yds even Collinsworth can't find a lot to support a narrative that "he isn't that good"

Didn’t ESPN carry that game?

On 2/3/2022 at 12:58 AM, Doc Brown said:

He's an intriguing candidate who looks like he should be working for PFF that may not want to jump in that dumpster fire right now.  You can't really argue with the Shanahan coaching tree's success right now though.  I have know idea if he has the interpersonal and leadership skills needed to be a successful head coach.  Press conferences would be interesting though.

Also, I need to see a picture of his black father.  At least give him an ancestry DNA test before handing the 49ers draft picks.

This guy may be smart, but he would not intimidate the Chess Club.   

Who would you take if you put him and Brian Flores in a cage match? 

Edited by Augie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.