Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

He's an intriguing candidate who looks like he should be working for PFF that may not want to jump in that dumpster fire right now.  You can't really argue with the Shanahan coaching tree's success right now though.  I have know idea if he has the interpersonal and leadership skills needed to be a successful head coach.  Press conferences would be interesting though.

Also, I need to see a picture of his black father.  At least give him an ancestry DNA test before handing the 49ers draft picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s a pretty smart guy. This will be a good pick up for Miami if they hire him Friday

I doubt anything comes from this, the NFL already investigated Miami back in 19-20 and they came up with nothing. I’m getting the feeling this is sour grapes from Flores end. He doesn’t like the fact he got fired so he’s going after his former employer 

Meh..that doesn’t scare me. I’m really not worried about this dude. He’s going to go from riding Shanahan’s coattails to being the main guy in charge of an organization. I just don’t see it. Especially not with Tua as his QB.

Edited by Bangarang

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well... and maybe you or someone else here can answer this...I thought a lot of McDaniel's success was based on Deebo Samuel, who seems to be a bit of a unicorn in terms of his skill set.

Do the Dolphins have anyone with a remotely similar skill set, or would there be someone like that in the draft?

Also Sports Illustrated just ran a piece suggesting that McDaniel should turn down the job

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-oc-mike-mcdaniel-should-turn-down-miami-dolphins-head-coaching-job

I think they would be smart to get the ball in waddles hands in space, I haven't even started looking at draft prospects so I couldn't tell you if there's anyone close to deebo in the draft, and waddle doesn't have the frame to support the abuse that deebo takes. I imagine the Outlook of being the next HC of the phins has changed dramatically over the last couple days. And as for the Jimmy G thing, I think JG takes the game very seriously but just happens to have a propensity for injury, I don't think tua anticipated how big the competition difference is between the NFL and NCAA. 

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Looks like the fins want to implement a stretch running attack and play niner “bully ball” my guess is the Fins brass see Tua as a Jimmy G level qb 

When was the last time a team with an offense like this won a championship? The late 90s?

First, I doubt any coach--white, black, green, orange, etc.--with a half a brian wants to go anywhere near the fish right now. Second, you think the fish would go out on the street and find the first three black men or women they could find and make them the leading candiates. And on top of all that, no matter what, they are still the fish and Josh Allen will be their daddy for another 10 years.

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Looks like the fins want to implement a stretch running attack and play niner “bully ball” my guess is the Fins brass see Tua as a Jimmy G level qb 

Unpopular opinion?  Tua is fine, the offensive line and backs are absolute trash.  The good part is they don't really have any massively overpaid players on the line, so they can invest in it.  But from left to right they need upgrades (jesse davis is fine at RT).  If you want to run a shanahan offense though, they need to rebuild the entire thing.  

Also Unpopular opinion - Their defense is super overrated.  I assume bringing in an offensive guy they'll probably not make many changes on the defensive personnel, but they probably should.  Jaelan Phillips got 5 of 9 sacks against Carolina (In the Cam/PJ walker combined game) and NYG (Mike Glennon and a trash oline).   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Unpopular opinion?  Tua is fine, the offensive line and backs are absolute trash.  The good part is they don't really have any massively overpaid players on the line, so they can invest in it.  But from left to right they need upgrades (jesse davis is fine at RT).  If you want to run a shanahan offense though, they need to rebuild the entire thing.  

Also Unpopular opinion - Their defense is super overrated.  I assume bringing in an offensive guy they'll probably not make many changes on the defensive personnel, but they probably should.  Jaelan Phillips got 5 of 9 sacks against Carolina (In the Cam/PJ walker combined game) and NYG (Mike Glennon and a trash oline).   

I wouldn't say Tua is fine and the same goes for Mac Jones. I don't think they can make all the throws you need to make to be a true franchise QB in the NFL like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert.

The track record of the Shanahan-McVay coaching style is undeniable at this point with McVay, Shanahan, Taylor, LeFleur (jury is out on Brandon Staley who is on the defensive side of things). They have made multiple conference championships and 4 SB appearances between them. McVay and Shanahan have done it with mediocre talent at QB as well in Jimmy G and Goff.

I would be excited to get him if I were a Dolphins fan because of that. Even if you dont become world beaters, the teams are competitive.

Edited by jletha

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Saleh may just not want another stretch zone offense in the division.    

Makes it easier for Buffalo and NE to prepare for the Jets and Miami when they are running the same offense.

It's getting to the point where there are so many of these Shanahan offenses in the NFL that it encourages answers to be found by DC's............and that leads to diminishing returns.    

Much like when the entire league started trying to run the BYU style WCO in the 90's and early 2000's to try to be like the 49ers and more successful branches of the Walsh tree...........only to have defenses get so complicated that young QB's were basically being thrown to the wolves trying to run it. 

Joey Harrington gave an interview once where he was asking why the offense was doing this vs that defense and I think it was Marriucci said "thats how Bill Walsh did it" We know how that turned out 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Meh..that doesn’t scare me. I’m really not worried about this dude. He’s going to go from riding Shanahan’s coattails to being the main guy in charge of an organization. I just don’t see it. Especially not with Tua as his QB.

This guy may be the best option for a guy like Tua tho. He got to the NFCCG with Jimmy G

Tua isn't nearly as bad as we all want him to be. He's a starter in the league for sure. They just screwed up relative to Herbert. With a good OC and a commitment, Tua might be ok for us to be twice a year by 14 instead of 21

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Also, I need to see a picture of his black father.  At least give him an ancestry DNA test before handing the 49ers draft picks.

This seems gratuitous.  And tacky.

One of the prime stupidities of the whole "race" concept is that appearance doesn't reflect ancestry very well.

I have a good friend who is 1/2 native Hawaiian - with red hair, freckles, and the ultra-white skin common to redheads.

This young lady has a black father most of us cheered for:

image.png.de33af42ca3e40943b239bbea92d87ec.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I wouldn't say Tua is fine and the same goes for Mac Jones. I don't think they can make all the throws you need to make to be a true franchise QB in the NFL like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert.

When Burrow was drafted, I seem to recall arm strength  or the velocity on his throws being a "??"

In any event, he reportedly worked with Palmer and the Biomechanics guy Allen uses during and after his rehab, to improve his "arm strength"

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/7/24/22590810/bengals-news-jordan-palmer-joe-burrow-training-arm-strength-nfl

So potentially, Tua and Mac Jones could also make improvements in this regard if they care to put in the work.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This guy may be the best option for a guy like Tua tho. He got to the NFCCG with Jimmy G

Tua isn't nearly as bad as we all want him to be. He's a starter in the league for sure. They just screwed up relative to Herbert. With a good OC and a commitment, Tua might be ok for us to be twice a year by 14 instead of 21

He got to the NFCCG with Jimmy G, Deebo Samuel, and a top-5 run game

1770 yards from scrimmage for Samuel is unreal

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not necessarily so.  I mean, don’t get me wrong, Tua is probably a Jimmy G level QB.  But running a wide zone like the 49ers do doesn’t mean that you think you’ve got a limited QB.  The Rams run it too, though a different version than the 49ers run.  McVay acquired Stafford because he needed a better QB than Goff to run his version.  Still, Kyle Shannahan is the current master of it.  If his DB could field a gift INT then he’d be probably 7-0 against McVay despite having a lot less talent to work with. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.