Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mike-mcdaniel-to-interview-again-with-dolphins-on-thursday/ar-AATndVg

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-coach-hire-kellen-moore-finalist-miami-dolphins-move-jim-harbaugh

Miami, we’re told, has created a two-person “finalist list” in their search for their next head coach. The Dolphins are conducting second interviews with two offensive coordinators - Moore and the assistant from the team that ousted him from the NFL playoffs, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel.

The wild card? The relationship Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has with Jim Harbaugh of the University of Michigan, where Ross is a major booster.

McDaniel and Moore are young and without head-coaching experience. Both are raved about by players and co-workers for their intellect - Moore “is always the smartest coach in the room,” said one colleague - but Harbaugh would bring to Miami the greatest wealth of proven success.

🤷‍♂️

IF what Flores alleges regarding paying for losses proves to be true, this will probably be the last hire Ross ever makes for the Dolphins. In this day and age, with the gambling angle especially, THAT has to lead to swift action by the league. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He seems like a geek.

He’s a pretty smart guy. This will be a good pick up for Miami if they hire him Friday

1 minute ago, Augie said:

IF what Flores alleges regarding paying for losses proves to be true, this will probably be the last hire Ross ever makes for the Dolphins. In this day and age, with the gambling angle especially, THAT has to lead to swift action by the league. 

I doubt anything comes from this, the NFL already investigated Miami back in 19-20 and they came up with nothing. I’m getting the feeling this is sour grapes from Flores end. He doesn’t like the fact he got fired so he’s going after his former employer 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

pretty dumb to let the info leak that your two front runner coaches are white right now lol does Ross even open his emails?

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s a pretty smart guy. This will be a good pick up for Miami if they hire him Friday

I doubt anything comes from this, the NFL already investigated Miami back in 19-20 and they came up with nothing. I’m getting the feeling this is sour grapes from Flores end. He doesn’t like the fact he got fired so he’s going after his former employer 

cool segment for an inside look, but I dont hear anything ground breaking here. Im not at all saying he isnt a genius coordinator, I just dont think this example shows anything every other team isnt doing.  Would love to hear something unique in a setting like this!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Of course it’s sour grapes. It would be foolish for Flores to make the claim without some kind of evidence. But fools happen every day! Who knows? I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. 

A few years ago the investigation didn’t have an insider cooperating. I have no idea what is true, but if there is credible evidence, or even a strong appearance of improprieties, STRONG action has to be taken. Owners can NOT pay to tank (or even try to tank) and remain owners. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I could be wrong but I believe McDaniel is mixed. I read somewhere his father is black. Could be wrong 

ahhh gotcha. could be. would not have been something i guessed by glance. very geeky stoner vibe, which makes me wanna like him. hopefully he doesnt g2 phins so i can like him lol

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s a really smart guy and most of the coaches under Shanahan Jr’s. Tree have been very successful. There’s an article out there about Robert Saleh hoping Miami doesn’t bring McDaniel to the AFC East. Saleh worked with McDaniel in Frisco. He obviously knows something

Saleh may just not want another stretch zone offense in the division.    

Makes it easier for Buffalo and NE to prepare for the Jets and Miami when they are running the same offense.

It's getting to the point where there are so many of these Shanahan offenses in the NFL that it encourages answers to be found by DC's............and that leads to diminishing returns.    

Much like when the entire league started trying to run the BYU style WCO in the 90's and early 2000's to try to be like the 49ers and more successful branches of the Walsh tree...........only to have defenses get so complicated that young QB's were basically being thrown to the wolves trying to run it. 

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

pretty dumb to let the info leak that your two front runner coaches are white right now lol does Ross even open his emails?

The scheduled interviews seem to get pretty well followed in the media (I assume the coaches agents leak them if nothing else)

I think what's dumb is to HAVE your two front runner coaches be white guys, whether or not the info gets out there.  But that could just be me. 

However, McDaniel is reported to have a Black Father.  Evidently there was an NBC Sports interview with him last year where he spoke about his family background. 

Whether he considers himself Black or would count as a minority hire, I can't tell you.

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think that's a disservice to Jimmy G.

Well... and maybe you or someone else here can answer this...I thought a lot of McDaniel's success was based on Deebo Samuel, who seems to be a bit of a unicorn in terms of his skill set.

Do the Dolphins have anyone with a remotely similar skill set, or would there be someone like that in the draft?

Also Sports Illustrated just ran a piece suggesting that McDaniel should turn down the job

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-oc-mike-mcdaniel-should-turn-down-miami-dolphins-head-coaching-job

I'd argue, after watching the playoffs, that Tua is actually better than Jimmy G. They're very similar, except that Tua moves better and seems to have a little more moxy (whatever that means). He's a better prospect, despite both of them being limited with respect to size and arm strength. Both are are serviceable game managers who lack upside. Neither is scary.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well... and maybe you or someone else here can answer this...I thought a lot of McDaniel's success was based on Deebo Samuel, who seems to be a bit of a unicorn in terms of his skill set.

Do the Dolphins have anyone with a remotely similar skill set, or would there be someone like that in the draft?

Also Sports Illustrated just ran a piece suggesting that McDaniel should turn down the job

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-oc-mike-mcdaniel-should-turn-down-miami-dolphins-head-coaching-job

Not a super in-depth dive on the subject, the SI piece. But maybe that speaks to the obviousness of the author's premise: Miami is sinking, and anyone smart should steer clear. 

Staying in San Fran to work with Lance carries with it a different level of risk, of course. Will he be able to run the show now? If so, everyone looks good. We can all see how that Shanahan offense seems able to operate almost independently of its QB's particular skillset. But if he doesn't perform...that sets back a guy like McDaniel. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.