Wildcard Playoffs SATURDAY: Raiders at Bengals, 4:30 on NBC

Hapless Bills Fan

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

on the replay the whistle was practically simultaneous.

in the playoffs in the endzone, yes.

I rewound the broadcast. The whistle happens when the ball is 3-4 feet from his hands. When they played the replay with sound, they pushed the whistle closer to when the ball hits his hand. I'd need the video file to be exact, but I'd say the audio was nudged about 6 frames to make it seem like it happened right when it hit his hands. 

• Like (+1) 2

The refs decided to just completely disregard and not follow a very clear rule.

Doesn't matter if the result ended up being what it should have been. There is no grey area with that rule. The second the whistle is blown that play is dead.

No one will end up caring much because it's the raiders, but that's pretty wild.

• Agree 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

I rewound the broadcast. The whistle happens when the ball is 3-4 feet from his hands. When they played the replay with sound, they pushed the whistle closer to when the ball hits his hand. I'd need the video file to be exact, but I'd say the audio was nudged about 6 frames to make it seem like it happened right when it hit his hands. 

I mean either way it should of been a TD then, nobody is going to stop in the time it took the ball to travel 4 feet.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean either way it should of been a TD then, nobody is going to stop in the time it took the ball to travel 4 feet.

Other than the rule book says a play is dead when a whistle happens, and if the whistle was erroneous the down is replayed. 

3 minutes ago, Process said:

The refs decided to just completely disregard and not follow a very clear rule.

Doesn't matter if the result ended up being what it should have been. There is no grey area with that rule. The second the whistle is blown that play is dead.

No one will end up caring much because it's the raiders, but that's pretty wild.

Pretty shady that they played a replay when the whistle happens at the moment he catches the ball. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Other than the rule book says a play is dead when a whistle happens, and if the whistle was erroneous the down is replayed. 

Pretty shady that they played a replay when the whistle happens at the moment he catches the ball. 

Yep.  And when I re-wound it back, the ball was mid-flight around the goal line when whistle blew.  WR caught ball near back of end zone.  Ball traveled 6-7 yards after whistle blew.  Play probably still would’ve been TD but you can’t let it stand.  And it makes it worse when the announcers say nothing for 5 minutes and then show a replay that fudges the sound.  

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m not sure if you know how good a teammate he is. I know that it’s easy to dismiss him because of how poorly he showed on the field after being the all-time leader in receptions in the NCAA before he came here, but that guy is truly loved by his teammates. I gained a lot of respect for him this season after seeing that.

When he came to NFL he had a WR Coach who could not raise his game - his college WR coach at Eastern Carolina - who replaced a coach which was under contract and whose players said he was excellent teacher.  This put his development behind what was expected.  His coach lasted one year which followed his employment pattern in NFL.  Then he had a bizarre incident in offseason which hurt his reps in camp.

He continued to have incidents with Raiders after being traded but he seems to have matured now.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I hope this officiating doesn't portend what officiating in  the playoffs will be like.

It’s all mixed crews now. So most likely it’ll be even more F’d up than regular season games. Already more than enough proof of that today. 

5 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

I'd feel better if the raiders won cause wildcard weekend usually has about 50 serpent upset rate lol

True. Its pretty rare that only home teams win on wild card weekend. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.