Highmark Stadium Difference Between 100 and 300 Level Seats

Irv

I went to the Monday night game against the Pats.  Sat in the 300 level.  Froze my ass off but noticed pretty much the whole game you could sit and watch the game.  Went to Panthers game last Sunday and sat in the 100 level and pretty much had to stand to see the whole game.  Not entirely sure why.  Anybody have an idea?  Could this scenario be rectified in the new stadium?

Edited by Irv
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Irv said:

I went to the Monday night game against the Pats.  Sat in the 300 level.  Froze my ass off but noticed pretty much the whole game you could sit and watch the game.  Went to Panthers game last Sunday and sat in the 100 level and pretty much had to stand to see the whole game.  Not entirely sure why.  Anybody have an idea?  Could this scenario be rectified in the new stadium?

My hypothesis -   

People in the front rows in the lower bowl are energetic rabid fans who want to be seen going apeshit for the team.    People in first row 300 are not as apeshit so they sit and watch contently.

As soon as the person in front of you stands up, you can't see.   So you get a domino effect of people standing up in the lower bowl.   You are essentially forced to stand or else forced to watch the jumbotron instead of the actual field.

Standing in the lower bowl has always been more prevalent than standing in the upper deck for these reasons, since I have been attending games - which has been for several decades +

The cameras rarely zoom in on the fans in the first few rows of the upper deck.   They frequently zoom in on the fans in the first few rows of the lower bowl.    That is why we recognize all the regular characters, the chefs, elvis, etc..

I have had season tickets in the lower bowl forever.   I stand for the national anthem.    Then I sit unless the people directly in front of me are standing.   And the vast majority of the time, the people in front of me are standing.   So, I am forced to even if I don't want to.    I pay to watch the game live on the field, not on the jumbotron.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Irv said:

Part of difference is temperature- I have sat in upper deck when it was 40 and was more frozen than being in lower bowl during the Raiders playoff game in 94. When cold you want to huddle.

I've never understood why people love 100 level end zone seats. It's cool when everything is coming towards you but when the teams are at the other end of the field, it's hard to see anything. I actually prefer the 200 or 300 level because no matter where you sit, you can see the whole field. I especially love 300 level around the 30 or 40 yard line. 

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I've never understood why people love 100 level end zone seats. It's cool when everything is coming towards you but when the teams are at the other end of the field, it's hard to see anything. I actually prefer the 200 or 300 level because no matter where you sit, you can see the whole field. I especially love 300 level around the 30 or 40 yard line. 

agree… my dad and I sat in 102 Row 1 for the Texans game, and it was an awesome experience, but really hard to discern how much yardage a play went for on the other (tunnel EZ) side of the 50.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Irv said:

It's like that for all stadiums that I have been to, higher up gives better views. Same for hockey which is why I will never sit in the lower areas.

Edited by TBBills

I've sat in the 300s for every game I've attended except one.  In the 300s, it has been mostly standing for every game I've gone to.  The one game for which I sat in the 200s, there was a LOT more sitting.  I'm not sure if that's the norm, though.  That was the Denver game in 2017 when it was in the high 90s and everyone was near death.

22 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

That's why seats are cheaper in the end zones and get more expensive as you get closer to the 50.    50 yard line lower bowl (about half way up) are my favorite in terms of viewing ability and feeling maximum involvement in the game.   

200 level in the end zones are the worst seats in the stadium in my opinion.  Your view isn't great except when they are on your side's goal line.   Even then it is only okay.     

It is a toss up whether I would want to sit in the upper deck far corners or 200 level end zone seats.   Neither is very appealing to me.   But if that was all I could get for a playoff game, you bet I would still be there.    Playoff game experience is unmatched awesomeness even if you have less than awesome seats.

50 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I have seasons in the 300s and we stand basically the entire time. Sat in the 100s for Panthers game and it was mostly standing but plenty of sitting opps. Maybe it was just your experience wherever you were. 

You stand the entire time in the upper deck?   I had seasons in the upper deck for a couple decades and never saw a whole section doing this all game.    A few random people that the rest of the crowd wanted to kill.........but not a whole section.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Irv said:

It's just always a thing in the lower bowl.  

And it's not because the few people who buy the view-obstructed lower seats want to stand to try to get on TV or have to stand to actually see the action on the crowned field.

No,  the second level of the lower bowl stands too.........and it's just because a few OCD people can't stay seated and THEN the rest of us have to stand.   But it's not like dominoes from row 1 up to the 40's where I sit.   When the game isn't going well and people really want to sit.......it's not uncommon for disputes to break out over those handful of "always standers" and for them to get disciplined for not staying seated.......because technically you aren't supposed to obstruct the view of your fellow fans.

I'm mostly oblivious about it but I do like to have fun with the situation from time to time.  B-)

I have sat all around the stadium and was lucky to land Row 1 seats in the upper deck.  I'll never move - great padded seats and sight-line with no one in front of you.  I  guess the the people in row 1 set the sit or stand trend.  Btw - I have these 3 seats available for the next two games - inbox me to avoid aftermarket fees if anyone is interested. 

39 minutes ago, TBBills said:

It's like that for all stadiums that I have been to, higher up gives better views. Same for hockey which is why I will never sit in the lower areas.

I’m with you here- I like sitting higher up- you see the whole field and all the action. When I was at Bills- Texans playoff I was on 50 and 5 or 6 rows up. I had the cameras on wheels in the way a bunch and most of the action I had to watch  on the big screens. You simply can’t see what is happening in the field most of the time. 

• Agree 1

I have season tickets in the 300's at the 35 yrd line for a long time.  You get to see the plays develop and don't miss anything. 

I've sat lower a few times in the 100 and 200 level,  and like the 300 level way more. 

The standing is part of the game to me at this point,  but overall being able to see everything that is going on,  i don't think you can beat the upper deck.

Edited by loyal2dagame

I had seasons in the 1990s in the upper deck & never really thought about the sitting or standing fans.  Maybe I was young enough & in better shape that standing didn't bother me, but I don't think there was a lot of standing back then.  Then in the 2000s I moved to the 1st row club level endzone & nobody was in front of me so it didn't matter if people were standing or not.  I gave up my seasons after 2011 but still had access to the 1st row club level endzone seats through 2018.  I'm down to 1 game a year.  In 2019 I sat in the 200 clubs & I don't remember people standing up all game. This year I sat in the lower bowl opening day and everyone stood the whole game.  I'm too old for that ####.  The next game I'm going to I'll only buy 1st row, either in the club level endzone or the upper deck.  I'm at the point where I'd rather go to a road game where the people stay in their seats.

Since so many people like to stand the whole game, the state, county & the Pegulas could save a lot of $ by building the new stadium without seats.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You stand the entire time in the upper deck?   I had seasons in the upper deck for a couple decades and never saw a whole section doing this all game.    A few random people that the rest of the crowd wanted to kill.........but not a whole section.

I guess I shouldnt say the entire time, the important times. The times when its normal to be standing. I have experienced no difference in the amount of standing in the 300's, 200's or 100's

Recall going to a game maybe 20 years ago.  Bought the tickets from someone and they were around the 25 yard line, 2nd row from the field.  When the action was in front of me had a great view, but once it went beyond the 25 heading towards the 50 and beyond, the players all standing by/near the bench blocked pretty much everything.  I tried yelling at them to sit, but they wouldn't listen.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, tannins said:

I have sat all around the stadium and was lucky to land Row 1 seats in the upper deck.  I'll never move - great padded seats and sight-line with no one in front of you.  I  guess the the people in row 1 set the sit or stand trend.  Btw - I have these 3 seats available for the next two games - inbox me to avoid aftermarket fees if anyone is interested. 

jealous. I am row 7 in the 300s and I LOVE my seats, except im right on the end of the row by the stairs, so when the usher isnt doing their job, people walk right in front of me to walk up the stairs. Super annoying. I just want to be 2 rows lower (still on the end), but there have been no seats available for multiple seasons now. One day...probably when we get the new stadium. 

My question would be is there more standing in the upper decks when the defenses are on the field and on third down particularly?

I would think sitting with the offense is on the field is fine and actually beneficial and preferred. Would make for a quieter stadium. But when the defense is on the field I think it would be awkward trying to be loud while sitting.

But I suppose maybe being loud up in the 300 level really isn’t going to reach the field anyways. So maybe it doesn’t matter up there.

We were in section 109 for the Halloween game against Miami and I’d say we stood about 90% of the time. I felt that was OK because it gave us just enough time to rest our legs.

40 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I had seasons in the 1990s in the upper deck & never really thought about the sitting or standing fans.  Maybe I was young enough & in better shape that standing didn't bother me, but I don't think there was a lot of standing back then.  Then in the 2000s I moved to the 1st row club level endzone & nobody was in front of me so it didn't matter if people were standing or not.  I gave up my seasons after 2011 but still had access to the 1st row club level endzone seats through 2018.  I'm down to 1 game a year.  In 2019 I sat in the 200 clubs & I don't remember people standing up all game. This year I sat in the lower bowl opening day and everyone stood the whole game.  I'm too old for that ####.  The next game I'm going to I'll only buy 1st row, either in the club level endzone or the upper deck.  I'm at the point where I'd rather go to a road game where the people stay in their seats.

Since so many people like to stand the whole game, the state, county & the Pegulas could save a lot of $ by building the new stadium without seats.  

Or perhaps heated seats would keep more people seated.

• Like (+1) 1

It's important to remember that Rich Stadium was designed both at a time when owners still thought of individual ticket sales rather than suites were the biggest moneymaker, and at a time when teams were still playing in toilets like Shea Stadium or Cleveland Municipal, where no one had heard of proper drainage, or in parking lots with thin green carpets in PIT, PHI, and CIN. Also in a manly running league where winds were not a concern. Designs have gotten so much better since then and whatever they build to replace Highmark will reflect that.

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

the Reds were the best seats at the Aud

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

my seasons 25 years ago were upper deck, 30 yard line, 15 rows up away side, scoreboard end. you could see everything 

• Like (+1) 1

300 level, 100 level, whichever it is, the general standard for us and it seems like most is -

Stand at all times when the Bills are on defense and yell your a$$ off. Sit and zip it when the offense is on the field, other than big plays/scores etc.

As some have also said, at times you need to stand to see because others in front of you are standing.

I'm not the type who would ever lay into someone for standing in front of me when they "Shouldn't be". I feel like those are generally male versions of Karens who call those folks out. Those people should watch from their living rooms if they aren't happy.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, PolishDave said:

My hypothesis -   

People in the front rows in the lower bowl are energetic rabid fans who want to be seen going apeshit for the team.    People in first row 300 are not as apeshit so they sit and watch contently.

As soon as the person in front of you stands up, you can't see.   So you get a domino effect of people standing up in the lower bowl.   You are essentially forced to stand or else forced to watch the jumbotron instead of the actual field.

Standing in the lower bowl has always been more prevalent than standing in the upper deck for these reasons, since I have been attending games - which has been for several decades +

The cameras rarely zoom in on the fans in the first few rows of the upper deck.   They frequently zoom in on the fans in the first few rows of the lower bowl.    That is why we recognize all the regular characters, the chefs, elvis, etc..

I have had season tickets in the lower bowl forever.   I stand for the national anthem.    Then I sit unless the people directly in front of me are standing.   And the vast majority of the time, the people in front of me are standing.   So, I am forced to even if I don't want to.    I pay to watch the game live on the field, not on the jumbotron.

I have noticed a lot of people talking about the "standing problem" here over several years.

I get the impression that most fans who attend the games in person think no one should be standing, like that violates basic, old school, rules on attending live sports games.

If that is true (seems fair enough to me) the Bills organization needs to work much harder to remind people to sit down and that it's not nice to those behind you to stand, etc...and ushers need to be yelling at people during the game to sit down.

They should also mention this on the public address system consistently.

I think they can change fan behavior over time, except for huge plays of course where everyone jumps up on the spur of the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have noticed a lot of people talking about the "standing problem" here over several years.

I get the impression that most fans who attend the games in person think no one should be standing, like that violates basic, old school, rules on attending live sports games.

If that is true (seems fair enough to me) the Bills organization needs to work much harder to remind people to sit down and that it's not nice to those behind you to stand, etc...and ushers need to be yelling at people during the game to sit down.

I think they can change fan behavior over time, except for huge plays of course where everyone jumps up on the spur of the moment.

I went to a SF Giants game a few years ago & they don't even allow you to return to your seat if a batter is up so you won't block the other fans views. 

Years ago when someone stood up they'd hear the people behind them yelling "Down in front"  With the exception of a few plays a game, there's no reason to be standing up during the game. 

At this point it's too out of control for management to do anything, it's become part of the stadium culture.  

The best solution may be to have a section dedicated to fans who want to stay seated, similar to the family section. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

7 hours ago, Jester said:

My first set of seasons, I was in the 300s, then went to the 100s.  Now i'm back in the 300s.  I like the vantage point of being up higher. But to your question, we always stand in my section.  

I used to be a “seat snob” as the family had what I guess are club seats (orange seats in the 200’s?) backing directly up to the suites when the stadium opened. We didn’t get rained on, suite windows behind us were always open so we got some AC when it was hot and some heat when it was cold.  Sometimes we even got food and/or drink! We sat there for years, because that’s what we had. When I moved away and started coming back for games I figured I had so much into airfare, car rentals and hotels I was going to get the best seats I could. I’d  ideally be close to the 50 and about 25 rows up regardless of cost. 

A few years ago I sat with a friend in the 300’s and was shocked by what a great view it is and the ability to see the whole field play out. Now? I’m just thrilled to be in the stadium when our team plays! 

EDIT: I also place a premium on aisle seats. I absolutely HATE being trapped in the middle of a row! Makes me feel claustrophobic. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I had seasons for 10 + years in section 311 right in front of the 50 yard line. I used to say that they were the best seats in the house. The view of the entire field was terrific.

Then I relocated to the West Coast.  Now, If I want to keep my seasons, I need to resell more games and for some reason people want to be close to the action. I took end zone seats row 9. You don't see anything going on on the other side of the field and need to watch the game on the giant screen but people will pay twice what they would pay for my 300 seats. It makes no sense at all to me but it is what it is.

When I attend a Bills road game, I always buy upper lever dead center. 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Personally I don't care if they stand.   I get as rowdy as anyone around me.   I'm one of the guys yelling to make noise when our defense is on the field for first and second downs, not just third and fourth downs.

If the people in front of me would sit, I would sit too just out of courtesy to the people behind me.    (Except for big play situations like 3rd and long on defense or when the other team is in the red zone or something like that.)

I think "standing all game long" used to be a violation of game code conduct and you could be reported for it.    I don't see that advertised at the stadium anymore though.   In the section I used to sit, there were some older guys whining about it non-stop telling everyone around them to sit down.   They quit coming after a few years.   I don't know if they died or if they just got too old for that rowdy environment or maybe they paid up for club seats so they could keep their fannies warm in the winter.   Those old timers were constantly whining to the usher in that section.   The usher would ask the people to sit down.   That would last for maybe 15 minutes.

I think the Bills are generally happy to keep fans as excited as possible and would rather not dampen down anyone's energy by asking them to please sit down.   Seeing that Bills fans are as rowdy and energized as teenagers at a heavy metal concert, I don't see how anyone could expect them to sit quietly and just clap.   It's not like a freaking Neil Diamond concert for Pete's sake.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

People in the era that we live in, are largely inconsiderate. My wife sat in the 100's back in the '90's, and people didn't stand, like they do now. I have seats on the 50 yard line, in the 100's. I have a painful back condition, but I have to stand, for the entire game.

The team does not play any better when people stand, and the difference in the view between standing, and sitting, is 0%.

I can see standing for big plays, but to stand for the entire contest, is nothing short of idiotic.

Like you I have noticed a change in the last 40 years, Seasons in 135, 35 rows back and it is to the point going to a game is getting harder. Now I don't mind the rooting' hollering when we need defense to step up or a bring you out of your seat play but the constant standing is getting old' just like my old bones.

I have noticed that Bills games are more about a "place to be thing" than about actual football. Call me old stooge but I am there for the football, I could care less about being on TV. taking 10 selfies, texting my friends or checking my fantasy players. All of this has led to the dumbing down of the Bills experience. 

I am OK with the drinking at the game but if you need to pi$$ after every beer you should just stand in the tunnel or the beer line as you miss most of the game anyway and cause those of us wanting to watch to also miss the game as we have to either keep moving for you or try to see around you as you don't know enough to wait until the play is over. Nobody and I mean nobody loves Bills football at the Stadium more than I do but the standing and the extra stuff is getting old. As Marv used to say, act like you've been there before. GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to be a “seat snob” as the family had what I guess are club seats (orange seats in the 200’s?) backing directly up to the suites when the stadium opened. We didn’t get rained on, suite windows behind us were always open so we got some AC when it was hot and some heat when it was cold.  Sometimes we even got food and/or drink! We sat there for years, because that’s what we had. When I moved away and started coming back for games I figured I had so much into airfare, car rentals and hotels I was going to get the best seats I could. I’d  ideally be close to the 50 and about 25 rows up regardless of cost. 

A few years ago I sat with a friend in the 300’s and was shocked by what a great view it is and the ability to see the whole field play out. Now? I’m just thrilled to be in the stadium when our team plays! 

EDIT: I also place a premium on aisle seats. I absolutely HATE being trapped in the middle of a row! Makes me feel claustrophobic. 

I was in Mead's Club seats this past Sunday.  He's right up against the glass windows, back to the luxury box... It's actually COLDER when the damn rich folk open the window..  Sucks the cold air right through! The overhead heaters are great with windows closed... Heat bouces off the glass and right back to you!  Warmer with damn windows closed!

...Anyway... I just started cheering really loud and obnoxiously... Then went and hit the head, grabbed a few beers and came back... Low and behold the window directly behind was closed up! 😆🤣😂... My tactic worked! 

@mead107 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was in Mead's Club seats this past Sunday.  He's right up against the glass windows, back to the luxury box... It's actually COLDER when the damn rich folk open the window..  Sucks the cold air right through! The overhead heaters are great with windows closed... Heat bouces off the glass and right back to you!  Warmer with damn windows closed!

...Anyway... I just started cheering really loud and obnoxiously... Then went and hit the head, grabbed a few beers and came back... Low and behold the window directly behind was closed up! 😆🤣😂... Mt tactic worked! 

@mead107 

No heaters there back in my day. In fact, fire had just been invented!  😋

It wasn’t a HUGE factor back in the 70’s, but at times you could really tell the difference. The people behind us were great too, and didn’t mind if you stuck your head in for a replay you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. Buffalo people are generally awesome! 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

No heaters there back in my day. In fact, fire had just been invented!  😋

It wasn’t a HUGE factor back in the 70’s, but at times you could really tell the difference. The people behind us were great too, and didn’t mind if you stuck your head in for a replay you wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. Buffalo people are generally awesome! 

The hoi polloi now have their own monitors directly in front of them next to the heaters.   What's annoying, it's like a second slower than the play on the field in real time. It's 2021, can't they get the simulcast in perfect sync!  It's only 300 feet away! 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.