Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

If Sanders can't go, I expect the Bills to run a lot of two tight end sets.

When they do go three-wide, I presume Isaiah McKenzie will be the primary beneficiary of Beasley's absence, with Kumerow taking snaps as well.

I don't get the sense that Stevenson is ready to contribute much in the receiving game or that Hodgins -- even if brought up from the practice squad -- what get many offensive snaps.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

When they do go three-wide, I presume Isaiah McKenzie will be the primary beneficiary of Beasley's absence, with Kumerow taking snaps as well.

I don't get the sense that Stevenson is ready to contribute much in the receiving game or that Hodgins -- even if brought up from the practice squad -- what get many offensive snaps.

Maybe, but I don't think this team is made for 2 TE sets. They should keep their best players out there. 

Before going with 2 TEs, I recommend lining up Davis inside and have him chip. Kumerow can spell him in a similar role. Then you at latest have an extra pass catcher out there to bail out Josh, in theory.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Maybe, but I don't think this team is made for 2 TE sets. They should keep their best players out there. 

Before going with 2 TEs, I recommend lining up Davis inside and have him chip. Kumerow can spell him in a similar role. Then you at latest have an extra pass catcher out there to bail out Josh, in theory.

Fair.

It should be noted, though, that the Bills have been playing more and more 2 TE sets in recent weeks. I don't have the numbers in front of me because I don't have subscriptions to any of those data aggregate websites that show personnel grouping percentages, but they haven't been as 10 and 11 personnel happy as they once were. The Bucs game is the notable exception to that. 

Furthermore, if Dawkins misses this game and Brown and Williams wind up as the starting tackles again, I like the extra help that tight ends or Gilliam would provide to them.

In any case, the Pats have an average to below average run defense and an elite pass defense, so hopefully the Bills can find a way to run the ball successfully against them, whatever personnel grouping they choose.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair.

It should be noted, though, that the Bills have been playing more and more 2 TE sets in recent weeks. I don't have the numbers in front of me because I don't have subscriptions to any of those data aggregate websites that show personnel grouping percentages, but they haven't been as 10 and 11 personnel happy as they once were. The Bucs game is the notable exception to that. 

Furthermore, if Dawkins misses this game and Brown and Williams wind up as the starting tackles again, I like the extra help that tight ends or Gilliam would provide to them.

In any case, the Pats have an average to below average run defense and an elite pass defense, so hopefully the Bills can find a way to run the ball successfully against them, whatever personnel grouping they choose.

I think they were trying to balance it out, but are learning that simply having a heavier front doesn't necessarily help them.

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

Re two-TE sets, I loved the heavy sets we ran last game. We brought in an extra lineman too, and it seemed like we had some solid runs out of it. Hope they do that some more this week. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It can work just for a game... in the moment. But the culture has to be built first, to where players will respond to their coach.

Like, Urban Meyer certainly isn't giving any championship-winning speeches...

Kicking his Kicker wasn't even his worst episode of being a HC.

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re two-TE sets, I loved the heavy sets we ran last game. We brought in an extra lineman too, and it seemed like we had some solid runs out of it. Hope they do that some more this week. 

I hope not. Every time they telegraph their intent and/or limit their options via the offensive formation, they are playing into Belicheat’s hands.  It’s like giving them a stop.  That is not the way to win, as the last game should have taught them.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I hope not. Every time they telegraph their intent and/or limit their options via the offensive formation, they are playing into Belicheat’s hands.  It’s like giving them a stop.  That is not the way to win, as the last game should have taught them.  

thats a good point. I guess in my mind I was hoping they would use that set from time to time to try to get more physical especially in short yardage situations. 

1 minute ago, Beerball said:

I firmly believe that the pats scored 14 last time because it's what they needed.  If it was 21 they would have scored 21.  

Yes, I am certain that they were completely comfortable with a 4 point lead where 1 play was the difference between a win and a loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If the Bills play conservative and play 2 TE sets or 2 WR sets we will be in a tight game just by removing playmakers from the field. Just simply play to our strengths, spread the field, and let Josh make plays, so we can win this game by at least 10. Make this a game like last year where we go into Foxboro and rely on our strengths and stop worrying about what Belicheat may take away. I don’t believe they can match our points with their simple offense and lack of playmakers. Let them run 45 times for 200 yards. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

thats a good point. I guess in my mind I was hoping they would use that set from time to time to try to get more physical especially in short yardage situations. 

Certainly a valid idea, I just think the Pats are better at defending that formation than the Bills are at running it.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think we did because the Pats couldn't move the ball most of the day.  Im sure they weren't content with that.  Had Allen made one more play they lose.

Interesting opinion, but, no.  Hopefully this time will be different, we'll see.

39 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Are you saying the Pats could've scored at will?

Nothing of the sort. Are you saying the Bills could've scored at will?

54 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Interesting opinion, but, no.  Hopefully this time will be different, we'll see.

Nothing of the sort. Are you saying the Bills could've scored at will?

-1, 5, turnover first play, 4, 25, 19, 6

those are the yardage totals of every drive they didn’t score on. So 7 out of 10 drives they couldn’t move the football. 

It’s not an interesting opinion. It’s a fact. 

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I expect sanders to get more run than mckenzie.  Not sure if that’s good or bad.  Seems like 17 and 1 are a little out of sync.  

I’d love to see a bunch of 2TE sets if Dawkins is out.   Brown will get destroyed again.  Belichick and Judon are going to make him miserable 

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I expect sanders to get more run than mckenzie.  Not sure if that’s good or bad.  Seems like 17 and 1 are a little out of sync.  

I’d love to see a bunch of 2TE sets if Dawkins is out.   Brown will get destroyed again.  Belichick and Judon are going to make him miserable 

I don’t like 2 TE sets from the Bills perspective solely because one of them is Sweeney. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t like 2 TE sets from the Bills perspective solely because one of them is Sweeney. 

Yeah, I feel the same about Sweeney but if we don’t chip judon throughout the game, 17 might die with brown @LT

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

If the Bills play conservative and play 2 TE sets or 2 WR sets we will be in a tight game just by removing playmakers from the field. Just simply play to our strengths, spread the field, and let Josh make plays, so we can win this game by at least 10. Make this a game like last year where we go into Foxboro and rely on our strengths and stop worrying about what Belicheat may take away. I don’t believe they can match our points with their simple offense and lack of playmakers. Let them run 45 times for 200 yards. 

I think you overestimate our OL

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Somewhat perplexed at the Dawkins situation…. You’d think he’d have mild or no symptoms at this point after having it over the summer….wondering if he just hasn’t tested negative yet. 

I'm with you.  It would be real interesting to know whether he has had any symptoms.  I mean the guy is fully vaccinated AND he has natural immunity from having had covid previously. 

My only question and I hope I don't get put in timeout for raising this, was Dawkins hospitalization a result of a covid infection or a weird reaction between covid and the vaccine?  According to reports he was within a couple of days of having fully completed his vaccine regimen. This means that he got his first shot and then a month later he got his 2nd shot and then was infected about 10 days after the 2nd shot.  Do people really believe that those last couple of days were that critical? You don't think that two weeks after the 2nd shot doesn't contain a little wiggle room?

When I was vaccinated I had a terrible reaction to my first shot.  Six months previously I had  gotten the covid and my doctor explained that my bad reaction - I was close to going to the ER - was a result of my previously being infected.  I bring this up only because Dawkins should ave cleared the protocol by now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.