NFLPA Working to Re-Schedule Browns vs. Raiders Game [update: postponed until Monday, WFT-Eagles and Sea-Rams Tuesday]

Nextmanup

It seems like there are so many holes in what the NFL has been doing, that this reduction of quality on field product was inevitable. Not having daily tests seems downright stupid. They’re not expensive, they could save a lot of peoples health, not to mention they could save players from the impact of having to miss games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It seems like there are so many holes in what the NFL has been doing, that this reduction of quality on field product was inevitable. Not having daily tests seems downright stupid. They’re not expensive, they could save a lot of peoples health, not to mention they could save players from the impact of having to miss games.

Paul Hamilton was just on the air calling for the NFL and NHL to straight up shut down for a week.

You would think the NFL (more than other leagues) would be able to re-schedule games at this time of year easily, as no one is really using football stadiums for other things.

I guess there is not something like 20+ guys on the Cleveland COVID list for Saturday's game.

20 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

This.  The NFL medical staff's argument was that with Delta, testing 1x a week was fine because most players or staff infected with Delta would have symptoms and there were 7x fewer vaccinated than unvaccinated players infected in pre-season with no intra-facility spread.

That was Then, This is Now. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Steptide said:

If they're vaxxed and have no symptoms, just let them play. Is it not obvious to everyone that this isn't gong away 

If they're infected, they can infect other players and coaches.  Guys like Ron Rivera, who is immunocompromised because of his cancer treatment, or Bruce Arians who is a 3x cancer survivor, signed up for the season under the premise that the NFL had protocols to prevent intra-facility spread and was committed to that.

The time to make a change to the operating principles is NOT 2/3 into the season, IMHO.   I think your implied argument is it's not fair to make teams play without players who are asymptomatic and therefore, not at personal health risk (that may or may not be true, but let's hypothesize it is).  But putting guys like Arians and Rivera at risk isn't fair to them.

He's not wrong

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/baker-mayfield-furious-with-nfl-after-browns-positive-tests/ar-AARTlUD

NFL still saying no plans to reschedule game

On Thursday afternoon, the NFL announced that it adjusted its COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

“Effective immediately, all clubs will implement preventative measures that have proven effective: masking regardless of vaccination status, remote or outdoor meetings, eliminating in-person meals, and no outside visitors while on team travel,” the NFL said. “We will continue to strongly encourage booster shots as the most effective protection. Finally, and based on expert advice, we will adjust the return-to-participation requirements for those who have recovered from COVID-19.”

The NFL has said that it won’t move this Saturday’s game between the Browns and Raiders. However, if the Browns’ outbreak continues, they might be left with no choice.

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's not wrong

No, he’s not wrong. He also didn’t go about conveying that in the best possible way. Social media is not his friend. That’s Baker being Baker. I think Josh would have known better. 

54 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Browns should just opt out of Saturday's game... Accept the loss and hope your team recovers quickly.

It's too late in the season to rearrange schedules.

They will never do this because players on neither team would get paid in a forfeit. Raiders would get the W, nobody would get paid.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Paul Hamilton was just on the air calling for the NFL and NHL to straight up shut down for a week.

You would think the NFL (more than other leagues) would be able to re-schedule games at this time of year easily, as no one is really using football stadiums for other things.

I guess there is not something like 20+ guys on the Cleveland COVID list for Saturday's game.

The NFL shutting down for a week would be very easy to do. I also think a second bye week would only help the quality of play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL shutting down for a week would be very easy to do. I also think a second bye week would only help the quality of play.

If players' health was the first priority, it would absolutely be shut down for a week (or more, within reason).

Of course, it's not, so I don't expect a shutdown unless it's absolutely necessary.

I think things would have to get substantially worse first, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

No rescheduling. I would have liked them to reschedule Bills games where they missed a few players.

Yeah agree.  the thing is, it’s real dicey to reschedule one game because it’s not competitively balanced “enough” and not reschedule all the other games.  

So let’s reschedule the Browns because their game matters more to their playoff chances than Washington or the LA Rams games matter to them?!  Nope, can’t do that. 

its like when a team suffers a bunch of injuries. it’s sucks, but the game doesn’t get rescheduled so guys can get healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yeah agree.  the thing is, it’s real dicey to reschedule one game because it’s not competitively balanced “enough” and not reschedule all the other games.  

So let’s reschedule the Browns because their game matters more to their playoff chances than Washington or the LA Rams games matter to them?!  Nope, can’t do that. 

its like when a team suffers a bunch of injuries. it’s sucks, but the game doesn’t get rescheduled so guys can get healthy. 

You don’t reschedule because of the importance of the game.

You reschedule because they’ve got an active outbreak of an contagious disease the NFL went into the season committed to containing.  The implication of some stuff from Allen Stills (CMO) is that they’re seeing intra-facility spread now.  The idea is to get ahead of it before you infect everyone on both teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You reschedule because they’ve got an active outbreak of an contagious disease the NFL went into the season committed to containing.  The implication of some stuff from Allen Stills (CMO) is that they’re seeing intra-facility spread now.  The idea is to get ahead of it before you infect everyone on both teams.

But I have Renfrow and Jacobs in fantasy

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

or because they did not get shots.  If there was a flu epidemic would they be rescheduling because players did not have shots?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Steptide said:

If they're vaxxed and have no symptoms, just let them play. Is it not obvious to everyone that this isn't gong away 

Agreed.  There's enough evidence now that this thing doesn't spread during games.  I doubt the NFL changes their policy to that degree though.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Packed locker rooms, especially cramped for away teams, are prime passing spots for virus.  It is not just on the field.

How is that different than packed locker rooms before practice throughout the week?  How is that different from teammates going out together for dinner, shows, clubs, etc...?

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

How is that different than packed locker rooms before practice throughout the week?  How is that different from teammates going out to dinner, shows, etc...?

There are rules about distance and number of players which cannot be implemented in half time.

NFL has rules about socialization that players frequently violate - why should they when they get paid for not playing if out?

Just now, Limeaid said:

There are rules about distance and number of players which cannot be implemented in half time.

NFL has rules about socialization that players frequently violate - why should they when they get paid for not playing if out?

Not for vaccinated players.  They relaxed their "socialization" rules as an incentive to get the vaccine.

• Vomit 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then that's the case for every team that has two or more people infected.  Either reschedule them all or reschedule none.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

I've never seen this, nor do I know much about him, but what a great attitude and perspective. Good for you Kendall Hinton.

Yeah, he was put in an impossible position. And after that game (which the NFL definitely should have delayed) the Broncs returned his right back to the practice squad. I thought they should have rewarded him for taking one for the team by at least activating him to play his real position later in the year 

Good news is he did make the roster this year as a receiver/returner. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

14 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

MAKE THEM PLAY WITH REPLACEMENTS!!! DO IT! 

I agree with this.

The Ravens have been hit by the injury bug worse than I think I've ever seen.  Am I comparing hamstrings, ankles, etc., to COVID?  No, I'm not.  But unavailable = unavailable.

This is why teams have depth.

Make them play.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  There's enough evidence now that this thing doesn't spread during games.  I doubt the NFL changes their policy to that degree though.

With all respect, That was Then This is Now.  Previous learnings about spread patterns in brief contacts or during games may no longer apply.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

or because they did not get shots.  If there was a flu epidemic would they be rescheduling because players did not have shots?

I believe most if not all of the infected Browns players are fully vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Nick Mullens to play QB for the Browns. Which, if he knows the playbook well enough , really might not be the worst thing for them. He’s … adequate. I think better than Case Keenum, and I’m not really sure that he’s a downgrade from Baker. 

The biggest downgrade IMO is that they lost Hooper and Landry as well. Hey have limited pass catchers. David Njoku suddenly becomes a STRONG fantasy play on potential volume alone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Then that's the case for every team that has two or more people infected.  Either reschedule them all or reschedule none.

No, not at all.   If two players got infected from different sources outside the facility, and there is no evidence of spread within the facility, that's very different than having several players become infected from contacts inside the facility (which is what Dr Allen Sills comments appear to infer is a concern)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.