NFLPA Working to Re-Schedule Browns vs. Raiders Game [update: postponed until Monday, WFT-Eagles and Sea-Rams Tuesday]

Nextmanup

I saw that WFT signed Garrett Gilbert and misread that as Gale Gilbert. Not really such a stretch - last year when the Broncos were in this situation they asked for permission to activate a 40-something assistant coach who had last played QB in college two decades earlier. Permission denied, which is how Kendall Hinton got his start. 
Wouldn’t these teams be better off just going full wildcat/no QB/heavy formation and see what happens? A/k/a Belichick wind formation but without the Mac Jones getting in the way?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, not at all.   If two players got infected from different sources outside the facility, and there is no evidence of spread within the facility, that's very different than having several players become infected from contacts inside the facility (which is what Dr Allen Sills comments appear to infer is a concern)

A bigger issue is that the NFL only randomly checked three teams, including the Browns and Rams.  Both of those have double digit cases.  That apparently has not led to additional teams being tested at the level those three were, which sure seems like a prudent thing to do.  To me that looks like the league is trying to get more games played rather than limit the spread of disease. 

The Browns went through normal protocols before practice on Wednesday which means that unvaccinated players were tested.  The team practiced.  Then AFTER practice they were told that the entire team had to be tested.  That’s when the positive results came rolling in.  Allegedly 3 teams got this random full team testing. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

A bigger issue is that the NFL only randomly checked three teams, including the Browns and Rams.  Both of those have double digit cases.  That apparently has not led to additional teams being tested at the level those three were, which sure seems like a prudent thing to do.  To me that looks like the league is trying to get more games played rather than limit the spread of disease. 

The Browns went through normal protocols before practice on Wednesday which means that unvaccinated players were tested.  The team practiced.  Then AFTER practice they were told that the entire team had to be tested.  That’s when the positive results came rolling in.  Allegedly 3 teams got this random full team testing. 

I don't particularly like Baker, but he's absolutely correct that this is bogus, and if the concern is player safety every player on every freakin' team should be tested, like Now.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Wild theory here: any chance (with all these sudden out breaks) that the vaccine could possibly cause a positive test result months later? I'm no Dr by any means, but crazy how all these players who vaccinated are suddenly testing positive

We ask folks to avoid general discussion here.  The answer is "No", I will explain in the Covid thread in OTW.
Edit:

The probable reason the vaccinated players are testing positive is that they are infected with Omicron variant.  The normal PCR test has a distinctive pattern when the infection is Omicron, which can then be confirmed by sequencing isolated virus.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL shutting down for a week would be very easy to do. I also think a second bye week would only help the quality of play.

What about all the people who have scheduled events for the game - including local venues, hotel reservations, plane reservations, Airbnb, scheduled time off from work, etc.      Shutting down affects way more than just the players.    And what are you going to do if the number of infections go up the following week?   Keep it shut down?   

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed.  There's enough evidence now that this thing doesn't spread during games.  I doubt the NFL changes their policy to that degree though.

Really?  There is good evidence of that?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Really?  There is good evidence of that?

That was said last season, based upon contact tracing of positive tests and viral genome sequencing which is a very accurate way of pinpointing the source of the virus for places (like the NFL) that have the pocketbook to do it.

However, there is of yet no evidence one way or another regarding in-game spread with the new variant Omicron.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Wild theory here: any chance (with all these sudden out breaks) that the vaccine could possibly cause a positive test result months later? I'm no Dr by any means, but crazy how all these players who vaccinated are suddenly testing positive

omicron breakthroughs, mild but still positive

Dont like rescheduling. If you cant play you forfeit. Otherwise the NFL is now deciding when to reschedule or not. So if only Allen is out vs the Pats we would play. But in other cases because a bunch of guys ae out you get more time for guys to play. 

Edited by ngbills

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Dont like rescheduling. If you cant play you forfeit. Otherwise the NFL is now deciding when to reschedule or not. So if only Allen is out vs the Pats we would play. But in other cases because a bunch of guys ae out you get more time for guys to play. 

I guess maybe it depends how many players on the roster(s) are positive in determining to reschedule or not?? Then again Denver was forced to play last season with lots out while couple other teams got rescheduled not missing nearly as many.

So no idea how it can go, maybe they just make decisions on the fly as they go.....

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I guess maybe it depends how many players on the roster(s) are positive in determining to reschedule or not?? Then again Denver was forced to play last season with lots out while couple other teams got rescheduled not missing nearly as many.

So no idea how it can go, maybe they just make decisions on the fly as they go.....

Heh.  It came out after the season why the NFL was "heartless" regarding making Denver play without a QB, and why they were all declared "close contacts" and out too late to make any other arrangement, like signing a guy off practice squad etc.

Basically the Denver QB removed their contact tracking devices and put them in the four corners of the meeting room so it looked like they were too distant to be close contacts.  When the NFL reviewed the facility video on Saturday, they discovered that the QBs were in fact sitting close together at a table watching film together and had "cheated" the system.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/09/07/broncos-kendall-hinton-covid-protocols/

And they lied about it:

So the NFL said "Nope, Denver, you made your damned bed, you lied about it, now you lie in the bed you made"

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Both WFT qbs have the covid so they are

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/washington-football-team-puts-3-more-players-covid-list

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/16/nfl-should-immediately-return-to-daily-testing-for-all-players/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32876158/nflpa-again-pushes-nfl-reinstitute-daily-testing-covid-19

The NFL's rationale was that vaccinated players (data from preseason) were 7x less likely to get Covid, and that everyone with symptoms would test and almost all players with Covid had symptoms of some sort (again, data from preseason). 

Now there's a new variant, and it appears both those assumptions are no longer valid. 

28 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I just dont like "rewarding" a large outbreak. Not that an outbreak is always due to negative actions. I just dont trust the NFL to be fair in deciding what teams have to play and what teams get to reschedule. If you want a level playing field they just need to follow the rules of testing positive. If the Bills had 40 guys break their ankles would they reschedule or tell the Bills to scour practice squads for a full roster?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I just dont like "rewarding" a large outbreak. Not that an outbreak is always due to negative actions. I just dont trust the NFL to be fair in deciding what teams have to play and what teams get to reschedule. If you want a level playing field they just need to follow the rules of testing positive. If the Bills had 40 guys break their ankles would they reschedule or tell the Bills to scour practice squads for a full roster?

I'm with you here all day. Agreed, sadly and unfortunately that's not the only thing I don't trust with the NFL.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I understand that, although the NFL could address this by being transparent: handing the decision over to an independent panel of medical experts/epidemiologists, and explaining what the basis is.

The fact that the NFL did NOT choose to be transparent about why they did what they did in the Denver situation (and it came out through "sources" after the season), casts doubt on their willingness for any sort of transparency.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the NFL said "Nope, Denver, you made your damned bed, you lied about it, now you lie in the bed you made"

It's weird though that Denver was forced to play because they "lied about things/didn't follow guidelines",  but thinking back at Tenn when Bills were about to play them...didn't they also lie and/or not follow guidelines also and they got basically kind of rewarded lol?? Idk, similar type situation and different results in handling by the league

• Like (+1) 1

Every team has had lots of vaccinated staff and players get Covid. But I won't get into the obvious elephant in the room... 

It simply cries out that testing unvaxxed players daily while doing it weekly for vaxxed ones makes no sense. 3-4x a week for all would be the way to go. Do it daily for all since it's end of season and playoffs. Very simple. Some players and staff will still get it but be isolated more quickly and thus limit the number of positive cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It's weird though that Denver was forced to play because they "lied about things/didn't follow guidelines",  but thinking back at Tenn when Bills were about to play them...didn't they also lie and/or not follow guidelines also and they got basically kind of rewarded lol?? Idk, similar type situation and different results in handling by the league

So the NFL's investigation concluded that no, the Titans didn't lie or not follow guidelines in a major way - that the info to not practice outside the facility had not been communicated clearly to the players and that's why they got together outside the facility.  It was also the first outbreak, and the NFL changed a lot of their protocols afterwards (required masking and improved ventilation/barriers in the coach's boxes, for example).

Now whether that's true or not, can't tell you.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-nfl-tennessee-titans-minnesota-vikings-football-52e8fd0470d9b701634b567dcfa11926

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they're infected, they can infect other players and coaches.  Guys like Ron Rivera, who is immunocompromised because of his cancer treatment, or Bruce Arians who is a 3x cancer survivor, signed up for the season under the premise that the NFL had protocols to prevent intra-facility spread and was committed to that.

The time to make a change to the operating principles is NOT 2/3 into the season, IMHO.   I think your implied argument is it's not fair to make teams play without players who are asymptomatic and therefore, not at personal health risk (that may or may not be true, but let's hypothesize it is).  But putting guys like Arians and Rivera at risk isn't fair to them.

He's not wrong

OK, I'm going to loop back here.

Evidently it was the Browns fault over the sequence of events.

-the Browns are in "enhanced covid protocols"

-teams in "enhanced protocols" are supposed to test everyone, daily, first thing

-the Brownies didn't "get the memo" somehow that they were supposed to test daily, so they let everyone in and let everyone practice

-then their only choice was to test after practice

("They" in the above tweet is the Brownies)

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to NFLPA Working to Re-Schedule Browns vs. Raiders Game [update: postponed until Monday]
4 hours ago, Steptide said:

No. You are wrong. The vaccines have nothing to do with it. 

But it looks like the season is going down with Covid. This series of outbreaks is not going to go away.

Edited by Dr. K

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

So how is this fair to the teams that have played through multiple Covid absences this season? Didn’t the Steelers have to pull Ben and Claypool vs Detroit a few weeks ago? among others 

It’s not.

But as long you look at Pro Sports as more Entertainment (like a unscripted reality show) and less super serious athletics…it might help?

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Trust him, he’s a doctor (in my Dr. Pepper commercial voice)

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

So how is this fair to the teams that have played through multiple Covid absences this season? Didn’t the Steelers have to pull Ben and Claypool vs Detroit a few weeks ago? among others 

Bottom line up front: It's not fair.  But the difference is, the other teams have played through occasional cases apparently brought in from outside.

These are apparently outbreaks within the team, spread within team facilities by vaccinated players.  The only way to stem that is press "pause" for those teams.

As a result, the NFL will make further changes to the Covid protocols, not necessarily sufficient changes, and teams which suffer outbreaks after those changes probably won't get the same consideration.

It sucks, and it's not fair, but It Is What It Is.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.