NFLPA Working to Re-Schedule Browns vs. Raiders Game [update: postponed until Monday, WFT-Eagles and Sea-Rams Tuesday]

Nextmanup

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bottom line up front: It's not fair.  But the difference is, the other teams have played through occasional cases apparently brought in from outside.

These are apparently outbreaks within the team, spread within team facilities by vaccinated players.  The only way to stem that is press "pause" for those teams.

As a result, the NFL will make further changes to the Covid protocols, not necessarily sufficient changes, and teams which suffer outbreaks after those changes probably won't get the same consideration.

It sucks, and it's not fair, but It Is What It Is.

Yea, it's really a raw deal for teams that played (and lost or tied) with key players due to COVID. If I was a Steeler fan I'd be irate. 

If the game is postponed due to the fear of spreading...it's a valid reason (not that I 100% agree)...however in the interest of fair play anyone ineligible for it should be forced to miss the game IMO

14 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

conspiracy…what’s the prior and set  objective criteria that makes a postponement vs. you play down men?  At what moment is the threshold crossed!?  Shouldn’t a criteria have been or be set?

Exactly correct.  

Whole season has become a sham I've been saying this for weeks - last year I think in some way the protocols unified the teams bc the virus and pandemic were new we may not have had a season.

This year with the vaccine and all they've done and were essentially told to do under threats of "making life difficult" in no way are you going to convince me these guys have been properly engaged let alone prepared especially as teammates they thought they were counting on, good to be counted on especially if vaccinated, are suddenly removed from playing that week.  

Now rather then burn the protocols (they did the second they moved these games) they are just going to arbitrarily decide what games to move.  

This is bad.  This isn't going to sit well with any team.  But, likely they'll all be intimidated into silence one way or another.

Edited by Big Blitz

1 minute ago, Since1981 said:

conspiracy…what’s the prior and set  objective criteria that makes a postponement vs. you play down men?  At what moment is the threshold crossed!?  Shouldn’t a criteria have been or be set?

Maybe this is the last week they anticipate this happening so no criteria being set.  Sounds like there are talks to allow vaxxed/boosted players to play and not be tested (as long as asymptomatic).  or if asympotomatic and positive, still being allowed to play.

1 hour ago, Success said:

So, they have no real criteria on this yet?  It's all just arbitrary?

I think the criteria will change as more data about the Omicron variant comes in. As long as they're following the science, then I'm cool with whatever changes they make.

“We have made these schedule changes based on medical advice and after discussion with the NFLPA as we are seeing a new, highly transmissible form of the virus this week resulting in a substantial increase in cases across the league,” the NFL said in a statement. “We continue to make decisions in consultation with medical experts to ensure the health and safety of the NFL community.”

Edited by WhoTom

34 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Maybe this is the last week they anticipate this happening so no criteria being set.  Sounds like there are talks to allow vaxxed/boosted players to play and not be tested (as long as asymptomatic).  or if asympotomatic and positive, still being allowed to play.

Do you have a linky about those talks?  Because I've heard a lot of fan supposing about it, but nothing from the league or a league insider

I'm not disbelieving you but if it's happening, I'd like to know what's being said

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

More likely they are following the money… 

I hope they are doing what’s best for the players though 

My gut feeling is that they're in "Protect the Shield" mode, wanting to avoid a PR nightmare if they looked the other way while the virus spread. Smart business people know how to balance short-term profit and PR.

At least, I hope so.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  That didn't take long:

NFL players react to rescheduled Week 15 games amidst COVID-19 outbreaks

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2253972

So what the NFL actually said was:

image.thumb.png.438651fa9a8e67f3eb1687c5669d67c1.png

The reason for the postponement is "medical considerations", with an outbreak of vaccinated players from a novel, highly contagious variant

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Cracks me up! Just a couple of hours ago ESPN reported the commissioner as saying there are absolutely ZERO talks going on about rescheduling the Browns game! Good to know Roger is in the loop as always. 

I actually kind of think that's a Good Thing? 

It could imply that the talks were being driven by the NFL's medical team and they brought the data and a recommendation to the Commish at the end.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what the NFL actually said was:

image.thumb.png.438651fa9a8e67f3eb1687c5669d67c1.png

The reason for the postponement is "medical considerations", with an outbreak of vaccinated players from a novel, highly contagious variant

I actually kind of think that's a Good Thing? 

It could imply that the talks were being driven by the NFL's medical team and they brought the data and a recommendation to the Commish at the end.

No…it’s not! You never want your boss to look ridiculous in public. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

So, they have no real criteria on this yet?  It's all just arbitrary?

They're not being transparent about their criteria.

Stills (NFL CMO) has said all fall that they are not seeing "intrafacility spread", so the inference is now they are, and they need to implement last year's protocols and give the situation in the affected facilities time to sort out.

But at this time it's "Trust me, We're Fair" from the NFL

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.  That didn't take long:

Speaking as a fan of the team that got flexed to Tuesday when we were supposed to play the following Thursday:

My Nose Bleeds for you, Slay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

We get that time slot every week in California…it’s great!

Doesn't it interfere with dinner at some point?  Or do you eat after the game?

And how about both games on Tuesday scheduled for 7pm?  Really?  They couldn't offset those so we can see both?

What was/is the objective criteria for postponing a game?  18 months preparing!!??. Alpha, Delta, Omicron

completely unfair without an objective criteria defined. 

p.s. let jerry ask the comish this very simple question. Then we booo both of them

Edited by Since1981

31 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I think the criteria will change as more data about the Omicron variant comes in. As long as they're following the science, then I'm cool with whatever changes they make.

Makes no sense. Delaying every game would support this reasoning. All delaying does is give teams more time to have guys test negative not stop spread. And a couple days is all that is needed? Sounds like - let’s see if we can get baker to test negative. 

31 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Makes no sense. Delaying every game would support this reasoning. All delaying does is give teams more time to have guys test negative not stop spread. And a couple days is all that is needed? Sounds like - let’s see if we can get baker to test negative. 

While we are changing things. Can we go back and look at the TB game. Upon further review PI called. Bills ball 1st and goal on the 1 with 30 seconds in the 4th. 

27 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Doesn't it interfere with dinner at some point?  Or do you eat after the game?

And how about both games on Tuesday scheduled for 7pm?  Really?  They couldn't offset those so we can see both?

Everyone eats during the game. And Sunday starts at 10:00am! It’s great. (Hawaii is a bit too early for me. Kickoff there is at 7:00am but then you can head straight to the beach!)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I guess maybe it depends how many players on the roster(s) are positive in determining to reschedule or not?? Then again Denver was forced to play last season with lots out while couple other teams got rescheduled not missing nearly as many.

So no idea how it can go, maybe they just make decisions on the fly as they go.....

It is very clear this is what they do.  Look how much Titans got away with last year.

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

I just dont like "rewarding" a large outbreak. Not that an outbreak is always due to negative actions. I just dont trust the NFL to be fair in deciding what teams have to play and what teams get to reschedule. If you want a level playing field they just need to follow the rules of testing positive. If the Bills had 40 guys break their ankles would they reschedule or tell the Bills to scour practice squads for a full roster?

That depends if there was an agreement on new domed stadium with have of seats sold with PSLs yet.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand that, although the NFL could address this by being transparent: handing the decision over to an independent panel of medical experts/epidemiologists, and explaining what the basis is.

The fact that the NFL did NOT choose to be transparent about why they did what they did in the Denver situation (and it came out through "sources" after the season), casts doubt on their willingness for any sort of transparency.

It shows the NFL covers up cheating when it hurts the reputation of the NFL.

Is any one whose team plays New England twice a year surprised about this?

3 hours ago, Dr. K said:

No. You are wrong. The vaccines have nothing to do with it. 

But it looks like the season is going down with Covid. This series of outbreaks is not going to go away.

Over Christmas holiday? You better believe it.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Cracks me up! Just a couple of hours ago ESPN reported the commissioner as saying there are absolutely ZERO talks going on about rescheduling the Browns game! Good to know Roger is in the loop as always. 

I sort of hoping he was in hospital with Omicron and Delta variants and that was reason why he was not in loop.

I have gone from thinking he is good for NFL to he is everything bad about NFL.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you have a linky about those talks?  Because I've heard a lot of fan supposing about it, but nothing from the league or a league insider

I'm not disbelieving you but if it's happening, I'd like to know what's being said

I heard Mike Florio talking about it in an interview earlier. i don’t have a link though. 

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This ***** is dumb. It’s really not fair to the Raiders. Just like how we got screwed for essentially 2 straight weeks by the Titans last year. You know the rules. If you have to play the game with a Kicker or street FA at qb…oh well

NFL is nearly as corrupt as FIFA

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This ***** is dumb. It’s really not fair to the Raiders. Just like how we got screwed for essentially 2 straight weeks by the Titans last year. You know the rules. If you have to play the game with a Kicker or street FA at qb…oh well

I am honestly curious how it is "unfair"  What disadvantage do the Raiders get?

17 hours ago, ngbills said:

Josh ankle still hurts a bit and need Dawkins time to test negative. Can we postpone until Monday too?

No, because it's the Panthers.  And they need more time before the Cheaters.

And the NFL making an even bigger joke of themselves...

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

So there are two disadvantages. 

1) preparation for this week.  it's already done, on a typical schedule - now coaches have to decide how they will extend the schedule to Tuesday.  Football players are creatures of routine, with a weekly routine designed to key the scheduled date they'll play.  Normally if the team has extra time, they give the players a mini-bye at the start of the week (as with Thurs then playing the following Sunday).

2) preparation for next week.  Thursday games are a disadvantage because the team only has 4 days to re-set and re-boot.  Playing Tuesday, then the following Sunday, is a similar disadvantage.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

They were about to get a very depleted Browns team which now will be closer to full strength. They now have 4 less days to prepare for the game that is coming up next and put them on a short week for no fault of their own.

Why would they put both games on at the same time Tuesday? And also on the same channel so you can now only see 1? Why wouldn’t you do 5/9 so people can watch both? One is with 2 west coast teams? Makes no sense 

22 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They were about to get a very depleted Browns team which now will be closer to full strength. They now have 4 less days to prepare for the game that is coming up next and put them on a short week for no fault of their own.

Why would they put both games on at the same time Tuesday? And also on the same channel so you can now only see 1? Why wouldn’t you do 5/9 so people can watch both? One is with 2 west coast teams? Makes no sense 

The Browns/Raiders is Monday at 5pm,  not Tuesday. So it's 2 days, not 4. Also, Cleveland plays again next Saturday,  so they get an even shorter week. 

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So there are two disadvantages. 

1) preparation for this week.  it's already done, on a typical schedule - now coaches have to decide how they will extend the schedule to Tuesday.  Football players are creatures of routine, with a weekly routine designed to key the scheduled date they'll play.  Normally if the team has extra time, they give the players a mini-bye at the start of the week (as with Thurs then playing the following Sunday).

2) preparation for next week.  Thursday games are a disadvantage because the team only has 4 days to re-set and re-boot.  Playing Tuesday, then the following Sunday, is a similar disadvantage.

They play Monday, not Tuesday.  Also. Cleveland plays again Saturday,  so they get even less time. 

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone eats during the game. And Sunday starts at 10:00am! It’s great. (Hawaii is a bit too early for me. Kickoff there is at 7:00am but then you can head straight to the beach!)

I tend to record all non-Bills games on the DVR and watch them 1 or 1.5 hours after they begin, so I can fly through all the BS, delays, timeouts, commercials, half time shows, injury delays, challenge delays, etc.

It's the only way to watch a football game.  That 5pm start would mean I could sit down to watch at like 7pm instead of 9:30 or 10pm, which would be great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.