If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

27 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Decent in coverage and a complete liability in the run game. He has not lived up to his draft number at all and should not be re-signed. A borderline bust IMO. I'd rather put Milano an MLB w/ Klein taking his old spot. 

Funny you say that because Milano was playing middle in some instances. I don't really care what they do as long as it includes getting rid of Edmunds. People have made excuses for this kid for 4 years now. If he doesn't get it yet, he's never going to.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Luka said:

Funny you say that because Milano was playing middle in some instances. I don't really care what they do as long as it includes getting rid of Edmunds. People have made excuses for this kid for 4 years now. If he doesn't get it yet, he's never going to.

Yes, but I can't remember which game it was. Edmunds just doesn't make plays. I remember Klein making plays all the time last year. 5 sacks in his limited time playing. McDermott needs to cut his losses and move on. 

Wish we had Klein in on that Fournette run where Edmunds couldn't stop him in the backfield. 

I couldn't help but think that a backer like Roquan Smith absolutely decapitates Fournette instead of letting him get the first down. 

That's what's so disappointing about Edmunds; he just doesn't play with any physicality despite being built like a Greek god. I think his brother is having the same problems in Pittsburgh, so maybe it's a family thing. Who knows. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Wish we had Klein in on that Fournette run where Edmunds couldn't stop him in the backfield. 

I couldn't help but think that a backer like Roquan Smith absolutely decapitates Fournette instead of letting him get the first down. 

That's what's so disappointing about Edmunds; he just doesn't play with any physicality despite being built like a Greek god. I think his brother is having the same problems in Pittsburgh, so maybe it's a family thing. Who knows. 

He's built like a 3-4 OLB. He's way out of scheme and position.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, QCity said:

PoshTightBillygoat-size_restricted.gif

Edmunds likes to hug guys down 8 yards past the line of scrimmage after being dragged a few yards. He was probably so shocked to finally be in the backfield here for once he forgot to make the tackle.  He gets points for hitting the right hole and not running by the play.

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Decent in coverage and a complete liability in the run game. He has not lived up to his draft number at all and should not be re-signed. A borderline bust IMO. I'd rather put Milano an MLB w/ Klein taking his old spot. 

Excellent in coverage. Excellent in getting fast to the edge on run downs. Has problems occasionally with run fits and needs to work on this but overall very solid in the run game.

Yup, there are people out there who don't see it.

Still true. It's not a coincidence that he's a captain, that they love him, that he's out there on every play they can possibly get him out there for, that he's a two-time Pro Bowler. Nor that the chances on him being re-signed - while it money is always a huge factor - are probably in the range of 70% - 90%.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:03 PM, 947 said:

Even the Edmund apologists on this board have to admit it after this game. There's no way anyone could look at the impact Devin White is making in the same game, and say that Tremaine is anything but a major liability.

But he did tip a pass today. And did I mention that he's still only 19 years old...

As a former Edmunds apologist (lost my status around 1945 EST sunday) I am fully on board with moving on from him, I was wrong, and I am dumb.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

I really think he's more of a natural WLB. He could actually be really good on the outside. Would love to see this D with a good MLB and Edmunds outside. And a new DT. That's asking a lot and I know it will never happen though. 

Yeah, they'd probably be top three in the league in yards, points and DVOA. Oh, wait, they are. That should prolly tell us something. But for many, it won't.

I think the Bills should try their best to trade Edmunds this off-season.

He's an average LB who is going to be looking for an elite LB contract and I don't think he's $10mil/year better than Klein.  The Bills have very limited cap space next year and could use the $$ and picks.

It probably won't happen, but if it did, does anyone know which team would be responsible for his salary next year since it's guaranteed?  And any guesses what sort of compensation he would fetch?  A 2nd maybe?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, they'd probably be top three in the league in yards, points and DVOA. Oh, wait, they are. That should prolly tell us something. But for many, it won't.

Really? You're happy with the run defense and pass rush? You're confident this unit can hold up against playoff teams? 

On 12/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, JayBaller10 said:

His lack of awareness in zone is one of his biggest problems. If he’d just recognize routes coming into his area and jump on that receiver, he’d be far more impactful than standing in a spot and running to the ball after the catch is made. He’s a coverage linebacker who isn’t great in coverage. His length and athleticism are his greatest attributes but he hardly uses them.

Yeah, I want a MLB in the mold of Mike Singletary.  Hyper, very aggressive, smells out plays before the O-linemen even get to him, like those plays Milano made in the 4th Qtr vs New England.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

He gets points for hitting the right hole and not running by the play.

There was only one hole to hit, and he kinda did run by the play with that attempted arm tackle. 3rd and 1, OT against the Superbowl champs, and your line keeps you clean? That's a wet dream for a MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone consider before destroying Edmunds that he maybe playing in the wrong scheme or not being coached well enough to perform in our current defense. While everyone admits Star, Epenesa, Hughes and Rousseau  have been either underachieving or unavailable, that leaves incredible pressure and responsibility on Edmunds. If you believe a defense functions as a cohesive unit to be successful, how can we dump all of the blame on the inefficient defense on Edmunds. No pressure from front four, no tackles for losses by front four and safeties and dbs out of position on long runs. Edmunds was out of position and reacted slowly on plays in the 1st half, no question, but exonerating the DC and the rest of our defense is silly. You get speed, tackling with physicality and length with Edmunds. It behooves these defensive coaches to put him in the best scheme and gameplan to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

forget wherher or not to resign him, if he is not benched for Kelin when he is available mcD is a gutless wonder.  

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Anyone consider before destroying Edmunds that he maybe playing in the wrong scheme or not being coached well enough to perform in our current defense. While everyone admits Star, Epenesa, Hughes and Rousseau  have been either underachieving or unavailable, that leaves incredible pressure and responsibility on Edmunds. If you believe a defense functions as a cohesive unit to be successful, how can we dump all of the blame on the inefficient defense on Edmunds. No pressure from front four, no tackles for losses by front four and safeties and dbs out of position on long runs. Edmunds was out of position and reacted slowly on plays in the 1st half, no question, but exonerating the DC and the rest of our defense is silly. You get speed, tackling with physicality and length with Edmunds. It behooves these defensive coaches to put him in the best scheme and gameplan to succeed. 

Klein looks better when playing.  Milano looks better.  The fact that Bean is a terrible drafter with AJ and Basham and resigned vet players who are subpar does not mean Edmunds is therefore not also a giant bust.  

14 hours ago, Luka said:

excuses are what a lot of people make for Edmunds.  Bean needs to go also.  Thanks for drafting Allen.  But making the playoffs should be expected, this team can’t beat a good team unless that team has an off day and its because we lack impact players.  

27 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

forget wherher or not to resign him, if he is not benched for Kelin when he is available mcD is a gutless wonder.  

Klein looks better when playing.  Milano looks better.  The fact that Bean is a terrible drafter with AJ and Basham and resigned vet players who are subpar does not mean Edmunds is therefore not also a giant bust.  

excuses are what a lot of people make for Edmunds.  Bean needs to go also.  Thanks for drafting Allen.  But making the playoffs should be expected, this team can’t beat a good team unless that team has an off day and its because we lack impact players.  

Your just looking to assign blame for a defense that hasn't been good against top competition all year. We gave up big yardage rushing against Tennessee, Indy(without Edmunds),NE and Tampa,losing all four. We need Edmunds to play better,but if our front doesn't even get near the QB and we keep giving up long touchdown runs, don't expect one guy to save the day. We can't protect our QB and can't run the ball. There's a lot of blame to go around. 

2 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

This is true. A LB is only as good as the front 4 in front of them.

If they are shedding alot of blocks from Olinemen, then the Dline is not doing their job

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Im being 100% serious but despite the fact most fans and media understand this, I can almost guarantee that this regime will resign him.

Why? Because that's how clueless Beane is and he refuses to believe that he has made bad choices and draft picks.

Just wait until he's signed to a record contract or we here in the offseason from Beane and McDermott about 'how young he still is'.

• Eyeroll 1

Like many, many posters on this board, I feel that Edmunds could be more effective playing a different position but I'm not sure what that position would be - OLB in a 4-3?  ILB in a 3-4?  Old timers on the board may remember David Fulcher from the Cincinnati Bengals' glory days in the late 80's.  Linebacker size, played safety and kind of created havoc all over the field.  Kind of like a rover or monster man in college football.  Maybe you could use Edmunds creatively in that type of role.  Whatever you do with Edmunds, I'd love an LB who can be a run-plugger up the middle.  Not necessarily an every down player but someone we could play against run-heavy teams, Colts, Pats, etc.

3 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Exactly my point. Edmunds gets roasted by this board because of all the team's shortcomings. He's not that bad.

Most are gnashing their teeth over the final play because that's the image stuck in their heads. That's not on him, there's not a LB in the league that could cover a WR who runs a 4.25 40. My ire is with the whiffed tackle on 3rd and 1, but I'll admit he's not as bad as the fans are making him out to be this week.

• Agree 2

I’m not a fan of Tremaine. I think the point has been made that his length is actually a disadvantage when trying to disengage from blocks because he then lacks leverage and he appears to not use his hands well either. And there are other issues/problems that have been extensively commented. There is no doubt however that he would look a lot better in a D that featured a Star and Kawaan Short at the top of their game like Luke Kuechly had in Carolina. He would probably even turn in the occasional big play.

58 minutes ago, QCity said:

Most are gnashing their teeth over the final play because that's the image stuck in their heads. That's not on him, there's not a LB in the league that could cover a WR who runs a 4.25 40. My ire is with the whiffed tackle on 3rd and 1, but I'll admit he's not as bad as the fans are making him out to be this week.

The formula for beating Brady is pressure up the middle. The Giants used it and we got 0 pressure all day long until Milano sacked him to set up the last drive that should have won us the game if integrity in officiating existed. Edmunds is an easy target  for frustrated fans, who won't admit with the investment in the D-line our front four is pedestrian. 

Meh, I could take him or leave him pretty much. He's made a few good plays here and there, but he's also made quite a bit of bad plays. Does seem to get blown off the ball often and completely taken out of the play. He will make bad decisions and be in the wrong place to make plays more often than you would like.

I was hoping and expecting quite a bit more out of him and he hasn't been what they need him to be for whatever reason. imo I think we could do better. Anyways, that said he will probably get resigned. 

5 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Exactly my point. Edmunds gets roasted by this board because of all the team's shortcomings. He's not that bad.

no he sucks. JFC this play highlights it. you can talk about what position he plays and scheme and players around him. blah blah blah. im talking about a football player 1 on 1 with an aging out of the league QB completely whiffffffingg

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.