Does Allen miss having Barkley in the room?

Richmond_Bills

Someone in another thread mentioned that Allen seemed to be "looking for comfort" on the bench.  Barkley is likely not the player that Trubisky is, should a backup ever need to be called into action, but does he have some other leadership qualities that "comfort" Josh and other members of the team.  I know that he always seemed very visible on the sidelines, on social media, etc.  Just a coincidence, or has anyone else had this thought? 

20 minutes ago, Richmond_Bills said:

Someone in another thread mentioned that Allen seemed to be "looking for comfort" on the bench.  Barkley is likely not the player that Trubisky is, should a backup ever need to be called into action, but does he have some other leadership qualities that "comfort" Josh and other members of the team.  I know that he always seemed very visible on the sidelines, on social media, etc.  Just a coincidence, or has anyone else had this thought? 

Maybe Josh does miss Barkley.

But I've gotten the impression from some of the interviews I've seen and read that last season Josh counted on Davis Webb for advice and insight more than Barkley.  

41 minutes ago, Richmond_Bills said:

I was thinking this but it's probably the point now where you'd want Allen to change a bit and be more of a leader, giving the other players comfort rather than looking for it himself. 

10 hours ago, Richmond_Bills said:

No Allen affected more to not having a running back in the room

Not unless Barkley has learned how to play guard!

(cant believe this hadn't already been posted!!)

Serious answer: There's no doubt Barkley offered Josh Allen lots and was integral in his development and his performance levels last year.  However Josh is in year 4 now and a self professed student of the game etc.  At this stage of his career/development, he should NEED a Matt Barkley in order to perform.

Maybe Daboll coming back down from his elevated perch to talk to Josh on the sideline on occasion is something to consider.

Edited by NI Bills Fan

10 hours ago, london_bills said:

I was thinking this but it's probably the point now where you'd want Allen to change a bit and be more of a leader, giving the other players comfort rather than looking for it himself. 

Well said! I’m tired of seeing him sitting all alone the bench staring at that stupid Surface as if it’s going to tell him something like the Magic 8 Ball. It never looks like anyone is talking to him. I don’t see him on a headset. Mitch is just sitting there ignoring him. It’s NOT good. Josh needs real time help during the game…or put the Surface down , get up off the bench, and go up and down the sideline encouraging your teammates! 

The locker room dynamics change from year to year. John Brown is gone too and even thought at the end of his Bills tenure he wasn't offering much on the field he and Josh seemed close as well.

I've worked places that had high turnover in employees and when you lose several people you enjoy working with work just seems....off. Not the same. 

But it's the nature of the buisness and if Allen is letting the departure of some of his friends drag him down (and I don't agree that it's the case) then he really wouldn't be mentally tough enough to lead an NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1

Aside from having a horrible oline and terrible coaching staff, the main issue with Allen seems to be mental. He also seems a bit immature which is concerning given his contract but he's obviously only still in his mid 20's. 

The good news is all of this can be fixed, both cosmetically and through age/experience.

The Pegulas forked over $250 million for Allen to be a franchise QB here so at some point the first to go will be Beane and McDermott with the assumption that it's not Allen's fault for this team shaping up to be a monumental trainwreck one year after a conference championship appearance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.