Alan Pergament: CBS' Feely talks too much but he had several good moments in Bills win

HOUSE

Alan Pergament

Take heart, Buffalo Bills fans. Better announcing days are ahead.

If you were less than thrilled that CBS sent along one of its lower tiered teams, play-by-play announcer Spero Dedes and analyst Jay Feely, to cover the Bills’ 45-17 victory over the New York Jets Sunday, be assured help is on the way.

In defense of Dedes and Feely, even Harlan could have had difficulty making Sunday’s second-half domination of the Jets and their one-hit wonder quarterback Mike White exciting.

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/television/alan-pergament-cbs-feely-talks-too-much-but-he-had-several-good-moments-in-bills/article_7afade64-4618-11ec-93d0-4b8ea8b5a7cd.html

• Like (+1) 2

Forget exciting or not....I want the announcers paying attention to the game, and describing for me what is happening when I can't see/decipher it myself.

When we went into that commercial break yesterday thinking there might be a challenge, then there WASN'T when we got back, then Saleh DID INDEED throw the flag, then was allowed to pick it up....they seemed to have NO clue what was happening, they didn't seem to care, and they didn't explain it afterwards. I was LIVID the Jets got so much time/consideration there...and if I was the ref who told Saleh it wasn't challengeable...why was he allowed to pick up the flag?

Doesn't matter to me that game was donesville anyway. They both just ignored it.

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've always liked Sero Dedes, although he sounded like he was recovering from a cold or something. His voice was not as strong as it usually is.

Feely did a fine job. I like those two more than a few of the sets technically above them in the pecking order.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I watched the broadcast this morning out of curiosity about the announcers & I came up with an opinion that I don't expect too many to be upset with:

If we were watching a NE game & from the very start the announcers were saying how good they are, like the announcers did to the Bills yesterday, we'd be complaing how bad the announcers were.  While announcers can compliment a team, Dedes & Feeley were practically handing the Bills the Lombardi Trophy.  

We don't "love to hate" Collinsworth, as the article claimed. We just hate him. I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard his annoying voice or biased takes ever again.

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Feely was okay, except for touting Rex as the best coach he played for in NY.

Can you name a better one? It's not like they have a rich coaching history to draw from.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Forget exciting or not....I want the announcers paying attention to the game, and describing for me what is happening when I can't see/decipher it myself.

When we went into that commercial break yesterday thinking there might be a challenge, then there WASN'T when we got back, then Saleh DID INDEED throw the flag, then was allowed to pick it up....they seemed to have NO clue what was happening, they didn't seem to care, and they didn't explain it afterwards. I was LIVID the Jets got so much time/consideration there...and if I was the ref who told Saleh it wasn't challengeable...why was he allowed to pick up the flag?

Doesn't matter to me that game was donesville anyway. They both just ignored it.

For that specific instance I think it was more the Jets were a cluster***** and tried to do something they couldn't, challenge an already reviewed play, which is why the commentator were lost on it because it didn't make any sense, and why he got to pick up the flag, can't really lose your challenge when your not allowed to challenge.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I watched the broadcast this morning out of curiosity about the announcers & I came up with an opinion that I don't expect too many to be upset with:

If we were watching a NE game & from the very start the announcers were saying how good they are, like the announcers did to the Bills yesterday, we'd be complaing how bad the announcers were.  While announcers can compliment a team, Dedes & Feeley were practically handing the Bills the Lombardi Trophy.  

All announcers talk about how good the good teams are. There's nothing wrong with that.

What gets annoying is when they focus on only one team. The announcers probably did talk about the Bills a little more than the Jets, but they talked quite a bit about the Jets too. It was just mostly negative (as it should be, because they suck).

33 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

They explained it.  As best as they could because I don't think they were given a good explanation.

There is Tony Romo, and then everyone else. If color commentators are discussing human interest stories, then they are not talking about the game on the field. Collinsworth as the ability to make almost everyone and every play "great" and somehow they overcame personal adversity. On the other hand, Romo could call a play before the team breaks the huddle, or explain what happened and why it's important. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

They explained it.  As best as they could because I don't think they were given a good explanation.

I must have missed it. All I caught was a quick chuckle after the commerical about how silly it all was. And at that point in the game, it kind of was. Still...for the time it accounted for, I think a producer or somebody somewhere shoulda been helping them out to be able to explain it.

And dammit, I want my flag on Saleh! XD I maintain he was simply being a salty ^$&%*, and should have been flagged. I think the ref actually was like "dude. I feel bad for you. Stop it".

I thought it was hilarious that Feely spent the first quarter talking about how much Mike White brings to the offense... how he's exactly what they need while developing Wilson... how great he is at going through his progressions, etc. That was all based on a game and a half worth of career experience! It was obvious at that point that the Bills were gonna rip White to shreds. Poetic, really.

No matter who the broadcast crew is we've started a drinking game during the TV broadcast.  Whenever they say the word "pressure" everyone does a shot.  But as its gotten so popular with the crews we've had to scale it back to a sip of your beer or else everybody would be passed out before halftime.  Maybe they use the term 60 or 70 times during the game. 

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Collinsworth for the Thanksgiving night game… oh joy.

🤮

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Alan Pergament

Take heart, Buffalo Bills fans. Better announcing days are ahead.

If you were less than thrilled that CBS sent along one of its lower tiered teams, play-by-play announcer Spero Dedes and analyst Jay Feely, to cover the Bills’ 45-17 victory over the New York Jets Sunday, be assured help is on the way.

In defense of Dedes and Feely, even Harlan could have had difficulty making Sunday’s second-half domination of the Jets and their one-hit wonder quarterback Mike White exciting.

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/television/alan-pergament-cbs-feely-talks-too-much-but-he-had-several-good-moments-in-bills/article_7afade64-4618-11ec-93d0-4b8ea8b5a7cd.html

when you play scrubs expect the D team announcers. 

2 “conference” contenders will get move billing than the expected 30 plus point blowout

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I actually really liked Feely’s voice and commentary. I could tell he did his homework on the teams and gave some good insight. 

He did his homework? He said the Bills will come out running the ball and establish the run. We're a passing team. Then he said he was surprised by how much the Bills were passing. He was awful yesterday. His constant praise of White was just brutal

Edited by nucci

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Collinsworth for the Thanksgiving night game… oh joy.

Excellent. Best in the biz. 

I actually liked Spero and Feely yesterday. Anyone other than James Lofton again. Man he has butchered the last two games before this one. I half want to blame his idiocy for the Bills bad play! My favourite of the season remains Matt Millen week 2 that was just awesome. 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

There is Tony Romo, and then everyone else. If color commentators are discussing human interest stories, then they are not talking about the game on the field. Collinsworth as the ability to make almost everyone and every play "great" and somehow they overcame personal adversity. On the other hand, Romo could call a play before the team breaks the huddle, or explain what happened and why it's important. 

On Romo.... he can.... but he doesn't anymore. CBS have turned him into robot announcer 2.0. He isn't actually that great after the play, his real value add is pre-snap and for some reason CBS told him to stop doing it. I dunno, I loved the first two years of Romo in the booth, but these days man I find him boring. He isn't quite Troy Aikman but it is as if that is what CBS want. 

I can remember discussing the poor quality of Bills TV broadcasting crews with my dad back in the early to mid '80s, when we stunk.  We always got the worst crews in the sport.

And then as we got better and better through the '80s the crews got better and better...and when we finally "arrived" as the toast of the AFC we usually had the No. 1 crew.

I have noticed this time around that we still don't really get the good crews!  It's like it's still 1985 or something.

I'm waiting for us to consistently get the top crews out of respect for being a good team, but it doesn't seem to be happening.  We still have a few big matchups left on the calendar this year...maybe we'll get the No. 1 crew for one of them.  

The December 26 NE game should be epic---maybe we'll get a solid crew for that one.

Or the TB game?  

2 hours ago, nucci said:

He did his homework? He said the Bills will come out running the ball and establish the run. We're a passing team. Then he said he was surprised by how much the Bills were passing. He was awful yesterday. His constant praise of White was just brutal

I have to disagree with your take. The Bills did establish the run yesterday. The Bills ran “heavy” personnel more than they have I believe all year. Feely was spot on. 
I didn’t hear constant praise. I will take your word for it. 

There wasn't a football broadcast cliche that went unused by Feely.  Next time we get him I'm going to play Feely bingo.

You'd think a kicker like Feely might have commented on the kickoff technique Bass is using sometimes, with only a 3 step kick (like a FG) instead of the usual 10 yard runup.  I'd like to know more about it.

Edited by Dan Darragh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.