OBJ drama in Cleveland

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a kneejerk reaction of every Bills fan to assume every name free agent will end up in New England because everyone signs there to get a ring, even though that isn't the case anymore. But is it that far-fetched when many problem child wide receivers do end up in Foxboro? 

Speak for yourself, not all of us.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Tweeter better be careful he didn't break the Fitzpatrick Cycle copyright when changing it to fit OBJ. 

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was the same coach too (stefanski was diggs OC)

The problem is this isn't the 1st time with  OBJ.  He was a head case with the Giants too & even after they re-signed him they decided he wasn't worth all the drama & took a big cap hit to rid themselves of him. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I would not be shocked to see Odell go to KC. They desperately need a WR2 as outside of Hill and Kelce they don't have much. Also KC is in a desperate situation so they are willing to take the locker room chance. I also wouldn't not be shocked to see him join Green Bay as the on field need is there but I am not sure GB is as desperate to take the locker room chance. 

Not sure where else he could go that would be a fit. Maybe the Raiders but with the Ruggs and Gruden situations they probably don't want to add drama. Either way I still think Odell is a good player not great any more but in the right situation he can be a productive WR.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I would not be shocked to see Odell go to KC. They desperately need a WR2 as outside of Hill and Kelce they don't have much. Also KC is in a desperate situation so they are willing to take the locker room chance. I also wouldn't not be shocked to see him join Green Bay as the on field need is there but I am not sure GB is as desperate to take the locker room chance. 

Not sure where else he could go that would be a fit. Maybe the Raiders but with the Ruggs and Gruden situations they probably don't want to add drama. Either way I still think Odell is a good player not great any more but in the right situation he can be a productive WR.

Go When?

At present he is still a Cleveland Brown and I doubt they cut him.  

They are going to let him sit - a’la Watson - and try to trade him in the off season.

Watch for a team like NO to offer Thomas for Odell - one head case for another.

I think for now he just is going to be sat until they can get something again.

If they need the position - that might change, but the call up rules and the weekly inactives - gives the Browns a chance to keep him on their terms.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Odell will go where the money and playing time is. I wouldn't be shocked if a team like the Jets pursue him if he's cute to help out Wilson. Toss in put OBJ back in the limelight that he feels he deserves.

30 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Go When?

At present he is still a Cleveland Brown and I doubt they cut him.  

They are going to let him sit - a’la Watson - and try to trade him in the off season.

Watch for a team like NO to offer Thomas for Odell - one head case for another.

I think for now he just is going to be sat until they can get something again.

If they need the position - that might change, but the call up rules and the weekly inactives - gives the Browns a chance to keep him on their terms.

I am assuming that is happening in a scenario where they release him just to get him out of the locker room. Obviously that hasn’t happened yet but it has been rumored that they might just cut him.

2 hours ago, Reader said:

Good response from Diggs

Seems like all things considered Baker is handling it well

I'm curious what Cleveland and Baker do this off season, I don't think he gets a long extension but do they let him play out his franchise tag and then franchise him or extend him after next year? As to me he's reminscent of Kirk Cousins as he's good but not great.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm curious what Cleveland and Baker do this off season, I don't think he gets a long extension but do they let him play out his franchise tag and then franchise him or extend him after next year? As to me he's reminscent of Kirk Cousins as he's good but not great.

Last I read there was a rumored report that they were offering him 30 mil a year but I think he turned it down

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I wonder to what extent it being Cleveland will have an effect too. I can't remember the last time they had a good QB and one that offered stability.

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Also I really wouldn’t call him Kirk Cousins I’d say he’s more in line with Goff and Wentz. The bottom line is, the Browns put themselves in a catch 22 situation with Baker. If you pay him you risk going through what LA and Philly went through with Goff and Wentz and you’ll be taking a big cap hit in order to get rid of him. On the other hand if you don’t resign Baker and you let him go into Free Agency then your pretty much telling your team and fan base that your starting back to square 1 and that could cause you to blow the team up and would set the franchise back a number of years. Tricky situation they’ve found themselves in

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Odell will go where the money and playing time is. I wouldn't be shocked if a team like the Jets pursue him if he's cute to help out Wilson. Toss in put OBJ back in the limelight that he feels he deserves.

If he gets cut in season I think he goes to an offense where he can get targets and possibly win. If he gets cut in the off-season I do wonder what he ends up doing. I think he probably won’t get a huge long term deal. It probably would likely be a one year deal somewhere with a WR need and a contenting team.

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If he gets cut in season I think he goes to an offense where he can get targets and possibly win. If he gets cut in the off-season I do wonder what he ends up doing. I think he probably won’t get a huge long term deal. It probably would likely be a one year deal somewhere with a WR need and a contenting team.

I know Shannon Sharpe mentioned Green Bay which make sense if they can get him cheap and think it appeal to Aaron Rodgers.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, corta765 said:

Yep. Listened last night to Freddie & Fitzsimmonds on ESPN they talked about this. Funny 3 years ago I was jealous we didnt' get OBJ. Now I am thinking we dodged a bullet and yea CLE should get Cooks he would be a much better fit and teammate.

It's wild the best WR of the draft in 2014 was Davante Adams in the 2nd round and Mike Evans who was the 2nd WR taken (and who I wanted the Bills to take). That 2014 WR draft was insane talent wise.

Allen Robinson (who hasn’t had a HOF QB throwing to him) might dispute that assessment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Allen Robinson (who hasn’t had a HOF QB throwing to him) might dispute that assessment. 

The Eric Moulds of his generation.

I think I'd still take Evans over all of them. An absolute freak that doesn't get the respect he deserves, very similar to Robinson. Only player in NFL history to go over 1,000 his first seven seasons, and that streak's still active and barring injury he's going to hit 8 seasons this year. And he hasn't had nearly the continuity at QB as Adams.

Brandin Cooks is the 2014 participation trophy as far as it comes to quality WR's from that draft. I'd probably rank him 6th, still behind Odell.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, I do because it makes no f@#$ing sense.

I looked at the comment as a comparison to the Browns situation. Say they just release him, and he gets picked up by a division rival-- especially in such a competitive division? Browns are still a playoff contender, and OBJ is still a talented receiver. Having failed to make a trade, it's safer just benching him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I looked at the comment as a comparison to the Browns situation. Say they just release him, and he gets picked up by a division rival-- especially in such a competitive division? Browns are still a playoff contender, and OBJ is still a talented receiver. Having failed to make a trade, it's safer just benching him.

Is he though? Granted, he did have a very productive season as recently as 2019 (which shocked me, looking it up, seems like ages ago) but he’s been addled with so many injuries since then I truly doubt his “expected” value at this point. 

9 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

He is probably the one guy I would give credence to as not knowing his real potential given the list of terror he has had at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Do the Browns save any money if they release him?  If not, no point in releasing him and allowing him to go to a conference, much less division, rival.

Only if he's claimed off waivers. If he's not claimed they have to eat his contract. But his contract might prevent another team from wanting to claim him.

34 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

The more dysfunction that other teams suffer, the more it helps the Bills - even if indirectly.  Just don't want OBJ to go to KC, Baltimore, Chargers or any other contenders!

I personally don't think it makes a difference if he does go to either of those teams you listed. imo I don't see him as the threat, impact player he used to be. He's also hurt a lot so he may not even be available very much wherever he goes. That's just me though....

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nelius said:

I like this all very much. Yes, go get Cooks, Cleveland. Is there a better player that represents mediocrity than Brandin Cooks? Got to love the professionalism, but we all know he's a #2.

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

Brandin Cooks is the 2014 participation trophy as far as it comes to quality WR's from that draft. I'd probably rank him 6th, still behind Odell.

What's your vendetta against cooks? He's got the 2nd most receiving yards from the 2014 class (behind Evans) and the 6th most in the NFL since he got drafted. Not to mention he's had 5 different QBs. I usually try not to be too harsh but these are straight up garbage takes.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had no idea a team could suspend/inactivate a healthy player against his will at all.

Does anyone know more about this? 

Does the team have to justify their decision in some way? 

Can the player file a grievance?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I just really don’t want him going to KC. They are really missing an intermediate threat to open up the middle of the field.

Pretty sure the Browns don't want Beckham going to KC either

23 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I personally don't think it makes a difference if he does go to either of those teams you listed. imo I don't see him as the threat, impact player he used to be. He's also hurt a lot so he may not even be available very much wherever he goes. That's just me though....

You may be right, but would hate for him to discover some kind of unforeseen career resurgence on a team we may run into in the playoffs.  His best days are past him for sure, but he still has the "potential" (heavy air quotes) to impact games....

Hopefully he will continue his career death spiral - never liked his attitude.  Definitely not a process guy.  lol

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had no idea a team could suspend/inactivate a healthy player against his will at all.

Does anyone know more about this? 

Does the team have to justify their decision in some way? 

Can the player file a grievance?

Pretty sure the Browns don't want Beckham going to KC either

I know it goes back to TO and being suspended by the team for conduct.  They could only suspend for 4 games and then I believe the team had to pay him not to play the last couple of weeks.

I think this is similar- they potentially could suspend 4 games - I think there is a grievance process, but it occurs after the season and would just have him get paid by the team - and then they can leave him on the roster with pay, but staying away - similar to Watson.

I could see Beckham out in the driveway doing bench press just like TO.  Make a spectacle to highlight the dysfunctional nature.

Quick review - I believe it was the Eagles in 2005 (ironically- most likely Andy Reid).

Edited by Rochesterfan

54 minutes ago, patzen said:

Only if he's claimed off waivers. If he's not claimed they have to eat his contract. But his contract might prevent another team from wanting to claim him.

He's subject to waivers?  If so, yeah, no one's claiming him.  So no reason for them to cut him.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I know it goes back to TO and being suspended by the team for conduct.  They could only suspend for 4 games and then I believe the team had to pay him not to play the last couple of weeks.

I think this is similar- they potentially could suspend 4 games - I think there is a grievance process, but it occurs after the season and would just have him get paid by the team - and then they can leave him on the roster with pay, but staying away - similar to Watson.

I could see Beckham out in the driveway doing bench press just like TO.  Make a spectacle to highlight the dysfunctional nature.

So now I'm confused, has OBJ been suspended for conduct by the Browns then?

30 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I agree.

He is also a headcase now, I could almost want him to go to these teams, he could very easily create dysfunction wherever he lands.  He is the polar opposite of what a "process guy"

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.