Haack is kicking really slow [Moderator Edited🤦‍♂️]

Gisele

• Gisele changed the title to Haack is kicking really really really slow

We cannot have this guy punt when the snap comes inside the 5.

We had a 3rd and something from inside the 5, and I didn't care about the first down as much as I cared about getting it outside the 5 to allow for normal timing.

He is noticeably slow.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I thought it was a money thing

likley...so Bojo went UFA, had to wait it out and ended up signing for 1.020M with Rams who traded him to GB for TBD at end of camp...Haack makes 1.575M..so what are we getting for that extra 500k that Bojo could not provide after a pretty good year...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's actually not slow at all.  What you are noticing, is a guy that gets more consistent hang time.  Haack is the way more consistent punter it terms of hang times.

What we are noticing is a guy who takes a full second too long from the snap to kicking the football.  No one is commenting on hang time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

likley...so Bojo went UFA, had to wait it out and ended up signing for 1.020M with Rams who traded him to GB for TBD at end of camp...Haack makes 1.575M..so what are we getting for that extra 500k that Bojo could not provide after a pretty good year...

I thought I read we would have needed to tender him 2 mil to keep him at least

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's actually not slow at all.  What you are noticing, is a guy that gets more consistent hang time.  Haack is the way more consistent punter it terms of hang times.

Mmmmm.. the hang time on that one punt vs Pittsburgh was less then a tenth of a second 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

hang time ?  Lol.  The time in the air has nothing to do with how slow he is in getting   the ball out. 

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

I don't think you can assume that the Bills were only going to pay Bojo 1.02 mil.

He may have simply priced himself out of Buffalo and screwed himself out of some money.

This was a thread way back in the offseason because there were a lot of bojo fans who wanted an explanation for his release.  The explanation was: "Bojo didn't want to be here and he sucks at hang time/direction kicks."

...the other side of the argument, however, was that Haack is notoriously slow on the release of his kicks, and that leads to him getting a lot of them blocked.  Someone in the thread pulled up some stats that showed that Bojo actually had a higher percentage of blocked kicks than Haack in his career.  

So the actual issue here is, we have bad historical numbers, or the Bills have to schematically do something different up front to give Haack more time. 

32 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely. Never got why we let Bojo go. Haack is absolutely terrible. Should have been cut already. Bring in someone off the street. I’ll sacrifice a few yards to ensure it doesn’t get blocked. 

We didn't let Bojo go.  He was a free agent, and we didn't apparently meet his terms for re-signing him.  Rumor had it his GF hated Buffalo and he wanted to be on the West Coast, so he only wanted a 1 year contract at premium $$, and the Bills wouldn't do it (wanted long-term, didn't want the premium $$)

It's notable that he sat on the FA market for a long time and was finally brought into the Rams camp on a minimum, 1 year contract to compete with an established punter (he lost), which may indicate that his terms were unreasonable or, that he was really only considering West Coast teams.

He was then traded to Green Bay for a late-round pick swap (6th for 7th), which may indicate he didn't want to go to someplace like GB and they knew they had to trade for him so he had no choice.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This was a thread way back in the offseason because there were a lot of bojo fans who wanted an explanation for his release.  The explanation was: "Bojo didn't want to be here and he sucks at hang time/direction kicks."

...the other side of the argument, however, was that Haack is notoriously slow on the release of his kicks, and that leads to him getting a lot of them blocked.  Someone in the thread pulled up some stats that showed that Bojo actually had a higher percentage of blocked kicks than Haack in his career.  

So the actual issue here is, we have bad historical numbers, or the Bills have to schematically do something different up front to give Haack more time. 

I think it's more likely that they adjust the scheme than the punter suddenly changing his approach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

...the other side of the argument, however, was that Haack is notoriously slow on the release of his kicks, and that leads to him getting a lot of them blocked.

I agree that Haack is slow.

But on the record, he only has 2 blocked punts: one in 2018 vs the Patriots, and one vs. the Steelers.

Is that "a lot of them" or, is there a difference source for info on blocked punts that aren't scored as blocked punts for some reason?

I'm willing to believe there are more - someone posted a link where he actually had 2 blocked in the Patriots game but one traveled forward so it didn't score as blocked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely. Never got why we let Bojo go. Haack is absolutely terrible. Should have been cut already. Bring in someone off the street. I’ll sacrifice a few yards to ensure it doesn’t get blocked. 

How many has he had blocked versus how many has BoJo had blocked?

A quick review showed he has had 2 blocked over 5 years and almost 2x the number of kicks as Bojo.  

BoJo in half the number of kicks and fewer years has also had 2 blocked.

He is slower, but he has been that way his career and yet somehow with proper blocking he had only 1 blocked previously.

Additionally - I don’t care who was back there - because a guy came straight through virtually untouched - that kick was getting blocked.  That block was on the 2 guys that did not pick him up when he busted through.

Haack’s speed did him no favors, but that guy was not slowed down a bit.

So that cost us 6 points - now please do how many points BoJo cost us with missed XPs and FGs because he could not hold.  There were at least 4 kicks with the laces facing the wrong way last year alone.  

The Kicker gets blamed for a bad hold by BoJo.  It almost got Bass cut early last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2