9/19//21 Week 2 Bills @ Miami Postgame Thread

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

He’s been great for sure as well

hehehe, I just realize you meant Epenesa and not AJ Klein. (f'ing pineapple kush... )

I'm going to have to get used to now having two AJ's on the field. :doh:

• Haha (+1) 3

The afterglow

1. 35-0..

2. Josh 2021 still does not look like Josh 2020.  Diggs 2021 still does not look like Diggs 2020.

3. Who said the Bills can't rush the ball?  How long has it been since we have seen a Bills running back run untouched for 45+ yard TD?

4. The Diggs TD from Allen was a throw only a couple of QBs can attempt and complete.

5. The Bills Dline played one of their best games in my memory.

6. I guess Davis was just a decoy today.

7. You would never know that Buffalo played in the Miami heat today. 

8. Greg Rousseau is making a name for himself early in the season

9. Knox making the plays thrown to him.

10. Me thinks the Watson talk in Miami is going to heat up now.

11. Shocked at how many empty seats there were in Miami.

12. I finally get all the hubbub over Star.  Miami could not get their running game going today.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

hehehe, I just realize you meant Epenesa and not AJ Klein. (f'ing pineapple kush... )

I'm going to have to get used to now having two AJ's on the field. :doh:

Hahaha! Nice strain. And yeah Epenesa has shown quickness, strength and suddenness in his game this season. What a difference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I gave you a thumbs up, Bob, but to be clear with you I still disagree with you based upon the point I made.  There isn’t an answer currently on this team.

Respectfully, “better technique, better preparation, and hard work” is easy sauce to doll out and against weaker D’s it will likely prove to be true.

However, I believe I have mentioned here, and most certainly with those that I talk to regularly, that I truly believed that at best this oline was “ok to good, but not great.”

I honestly don’t believe BT, BP, and HW are going to toe the line for getting us to where we hoped we would be and change around this line.

However, we will pile up wins.  I just hope it is enough given some of our short comings.

Peace, my friend, and go Bills.

Peace my friend. 

My first move to improve the line would be a great center.  One that can help our guards when they are facing a beast of a DT.  I was surprised that Beane drafted and DL in round 2 over OL.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

My first move to improve the line would be a great center.  One that can help our guards when they are facing a beast of a DT.  I was surprised that Beane drafted and DL in round 2 over OL.  

Guard is more of an issue, IMO, but they looked good today. But, certainly, the Miami pass rush doesn't hold a candle to the Steelers' pass rush.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

My first move to improve the line would be a great center.  One that can help our guards when they are facing a beast of a DT. 

Yet Mitch Morse has been the best player on the Bills OLine so far this year.

My general thoughts about the game:

- Bills took care of business and won easily vs a division rival on the road.

- Defense is playing lights out. 

- Offense seems problematic. Allen is not sharp, footwork is poor, vision is not great, and seems to be thinking too much. Will need him to play better vs top teams.  Hoping he can turn things around.

- Bills can run the ball! They need to be more balanced to keep the pressure off Allen. Still perplexed at why Moss was a healthy scratch week 1.

- Bills coaching staff were more prepared this week. Came right out from halftime and got 7. 

- Today was fun to watch a stress free Bills win.

- The pass rush was outstanding. Does anyone know how much we blitzed vs getting pressure with our front? The dolphins had no answers for the Bills constant pressure.

- One of the major keys to victory were the turnovers. I'd like to think the Bills had a lot to do with that. However, it felt like Miami gave us a few gifts.

- Does anyone cringe like me when the Bills punt the ball? Seems like it's going to get blocked damn near every punt. This might come back to haunt the Bills. 

- Thought Daboll made some good adjustments. Ran the ball much more. Little more motion, slants, and less empty set formations.

- Motor's run was a thing of beauty. He exploded through the whole and he was off to the races. A long time coming. Does anyone feel like he's playing with a chip on his shoulder? 

Moss is a difference maker in the Bills run game. Tough hard nosed bowling ball. Those 2 tds were hard fought and showed his grit and worth. 

- Lastly, if wasn't perfect. We can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the team civilly. I look forward to your thoughts. I

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Epenesa was the best player out there on D today, followed by Greg Rousseau. You have no idea how happy I am to be able to say that!

Epenesa had a coming out party...

If he keeps playing this way notice will be served to offensive coordinators around the league they need to account for him.

I think teams are going to kick themselves for passing on Rousseau. May well end up the steal of the draft.

Zimmer (a team development product) was pretty stout in the middle too with pressures, sack, and stopping the run. Star took some reps and that is a good thing if he can work himself back into game shape.

Milano played an amazing game, all over the place and he and our safeties kept Gesicki in check.

Edmunds was hitting the right gaps when he needed to fill... just a really good game by the whole defense.

Tre was Tre and Wallace was playing a great game too till he got dinged... Dane Jackson stepped in nicely.

They keep playing like this and they will give the offense time to figure things out against most teams as long as they take care of the ball.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, wjag said:

The afterglow

3. Who said the Bills can't rush the ball?  How long has it been since we have seen a Bills running back run untouched for 45+ yard TD?

Singletary had one of about 50 yards last year, albeit in garbage time

• Like (+1) 1

35-0 is a big bounce back.  Buffalo is starting out vs some really good defenses.  Getting the run game going a bit is encouraging.  Its still Sept Buffalos offense isn’t where it needs to be yet but are pretty close.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The pass rush was outstanding. Does anyone know how much we blitzed vs getting pressure with our front? The dolphins had no answers for the Bills constant pressure.

Both the variety and quantity of the Bills blitz packages today was very high.

Although I think a lot of the pressures and sacks were simply the result of guys winning matchups and not necessarily scheme.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Epenesa had a coming out party...

If he keeps playing this way notice will be served to offensive coordinators around the league they need to account for him.

I think teams are going to kick themselves for passing on Rousseau. May well end up the steal of the draft.

Zimmer (a team development product) was pretty stout in the middle too with pressures, sack, and stopping the run. Star took some reps and that is a good thing if he can work himself back into game shape.

Milano played an amazing game, all over the place and he and our safeties kept Gesicki in check.

Edmunds was hitting the right gaps when he needed to fill... just a really good game by the whole defense.

Tre was Tre and Wallace was playing a great game too till he got dinged... Dane Jackson stepped in nicely.

They keep playing like this and they will give the offense time to figure things out against most teams as long as they take care of the ball.

The defense was outstanding. However, the 2 teams they have played aren't exactly offensive juggernauts. Nevertheless, I like what I'm seeing. Bigger tests are ahead. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

- Does anyone cringe like me when the Bills punt the ball? Seems like it's going to get blocked damn near every punt. This might come back to haunt the Bills. 

This is the most worrisome thing for me.  Whatever the reason they let Bojo walk, I never worried when he punted.  Hauck already cost us one game.  Offense needs to get on track so our punts are few and far between.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yet Mitch Morse has been the best player on the Bills OLine so far this year.

Best player in 2 games maybe, he has been ok so far.  

At the time of the draft they were still looking at Ford to develop.    

For next year and longer term I think drafting a center is smart.  Morse has a history of head injuries that are a concern and his contract is pretty rough.  Next year it’s over $11M or $3.75M in dead cap if they move away from him.  

I would be ok spending a premium draft pick on an OG as well.  We need to get better in the interior OL any way you slice it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Best player in 2 games maybe, he has been ok so far.  

At the time of the draft they were still looking at Ford to develop.    

For next year and longer term I think drafting a center is smart.  Morse has a history of head injuries that are a concern and his contract is pretty rough.  Next year it’s over $11M or $3.75M in dead cap if they move away from him.  

I would be ok spending a premium draft pick on an OG as well.  We need to get better in the interior OL any way you slice it.

Can't really argue with any of that. 

Having a roster this strong gives them a lot of options. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Moss and Roberts (?) smacking into each other on the goal line. The loud crack, Roberts down with Moss up, Moss going in for the score. “Business decision”.

This team may not be hitting on all cylinders yet. But it has a nasty attitude. This team is going to beat (as in abuse) other teams. 

Edited by Jumpsuit Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

The defense emerging is great right now.  The running game came to life.  Alien made some plays.   

It’s a long season, there are ups and downs.  

I want Josh and the offense to start to peak in the last month of the season going into the playoffs.  Like Tampa did last year.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The defense emerging is great right now.  The running game came to life.  Alien made some plays.   

I know this is a typo but when Josh starts heating it up, I am now going to start calling him Josh Alien. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 3

One thing that I’m hypothesizing may be playing a role in the O’s and JA’s lack of dazzle is Daboll designing and calling plays that are too cute/complex in order to “show off” for potential HC suitors.

They mentioned the coaches put in a bunch of new plays yesterday, why? Things are very dynamic on offense it looks like and there’s a strange disconnect that frankly shouldn’t be there after having the core together a couple years. I think Daboll is trying to prove his brilliance.

• Eyeroll 3

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Sad face re: Creed Humphrey

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

My general thoughts about the game:

- Today was fun to watch a stress free Bills win.

This comment sort of reminds me of golfing... you have some little 330-yard crappy par-4. You slice a crap drive into the rough. Then you hook a junky iron 10 yards left and short. Then you chip it to 2 feet and make a low-stress par. You're happy about it, but the execution through the green was by and large poor and you know you can't maintain it and continue to score.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Man, those 'fans' need more Fiber in their Diet!"

Who's the guy in the red shirt and the guy on the R leaning over the table?

That’s the guy they get their reefer from,

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

This comment sort of reminds me of golfing... you have some little 330-yard crappy par-4. You slice a crap drive into the rough. Then you hook a junky iron 10 yards left and short. Then you chip it to 2 feet and make a low-stress par. You're happy about it, but the execution through the green was by and large poor and you know you can't maintain it and continue to score.

True but on the score card it shows a par. In this case a "W." Sonetimes that chip gives you confidence and you start stroking the ball better and you have a great round. You see where I'm going...

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I know this is a typo but when Josh starts heating it up, I am now going to start calling him Josh Alien. :thumbsup:

So it shall be.

CB544453-E397-4CB2-A12A-3691F6F231E8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

How ‘bout moving Ford to Center? Guards are easier to find.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

True but on the score card it shows a par. In this case a "W." Sonetimes that chip gives you confidence and you start stroking the ball better and you have a great round. You see where I'm going...

You must not play golf I assume 

Interesting that Daboll added a bunch of new plays on Saturday. Seems like that could add to confusion and confidence.

Also found it interesting that the Bills went with some Power I formation looks. It felt like 1985 Bears. I'm not sure what to make of that, I've not seen that from Daboll really at all since he's been here.

13 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

and?  u think Brissett is good?  is he a top 10 offensive threat in this league?

Is Tua a top 32 offensive threat?

Brissett isn’t great, but Tua has not shown himself at this point to be better.

Anytime you pitch a shutout in the NFL - it is worth an A at minimum.  

I was also impressed that when they knocked Tua out - the Bills didn’t go back to a plain vanilla defense - they still attacked him and forced him to try and make plays - they gave up very few “easy” throws to either Miami or Pittsburgh.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Interesting that Daboll added a bunch of new plays on Saturday. Seems like that could add to confusion and confidence.

Also found it interesting that the Bills went with some Power I formation looks. It felt like 1985 Bears. I'm not sure what to make of that, I've not seen that from Daboll really at all since he's been here.

Would like to see a little more of it. Styles make fights!

50 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

More targets for Knox. Time to utilize the TE more. TE U seems to have helped. Groot is for real. Maybe steal of the draft.

amen. I don’t know if it is Josh or scheme— But they need to run plays for Knox. You look at how easy Kelce makes it look— Knox is arguably just as athletic.  Just a simple dump off is an easy 7 yards.