9/19//21 Week 2 Bills @ Miami Postgame Thread

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

amen. I don’t know if it is Josh or scheme— But they need to run plays for Knox. You look at how easy Kelce makes it look— Knox is arguably just as athletic.  Just a simple dump off is an easy 7 yards. 

Please, no easy dump offs.  He's much better catching the hard ones.😁

• Haha (+1) 1

I haven't had time to read all the comments, but the score was not indicative of the teams' play in the game. It felt more like a 24-17 Bills win.

I was heartened to see the Bills defense play so well. Liked seeing the hard running form Singletary and Moss (except for the fumbles).

As many have said, the offense, and in particular Josh Allen, are not totally in synch. A little woried about Allen, but not pushing any panic buttons. If Allen gets back his 2020 form, and the defense maintains this level, this team will be a juggernaut.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Is Tua a top 32 offensive threat?

Brissett isn’t great, but Tua has not shown himself at this point to be better.

Anytime you pitch a shutout in the NFL - it is worth an A at minimum.  

I was also impressed that when they knocked Tua out - the Bills didn’t go back to a plain vanilla defense - they still attacked him and forced him to try and make plays - they gave up very few “easy” throws to either Miami or Pittsburgh.

honestly not sure what your arguement is here,   both Tua and Brissett are bad,  and that makes my point.  the D didnt face a top offense,  they played well,   against a bad offense, hence,  B+..........give them an A if u want,  whatever.   

enjoy the win,  was it a Super Bowl caliber win?  No,  thats the goal.   if u cant see the teams limitations against what appears to be an inferior opponent,  and u just want to savor the win.  good 4 u.

im a Bills fan,  im certainly happy they won,  i dont root against them or any player,  but im also a realist.......if u want to ignore the problems and just hope they dont cost games  (already has cost us one),  well gl 2 u and anybody else thats taken this stance here.

one last thing,  every,  EVERY,  game counts here.  this isnt MLB,  or the NHL,  or the NBA,   where u can suck it up for a quarter of the season and then make the playoffs,  every game matters in the NFL,   especially if our goal is homefield in the playoffs.    i dont want to face the Chiefs again in Arrowhead,  with a full stadium,  to advance in the playoffs.   

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

honestly not sure what your arguement is here,   both Tua and Brissett are bad,  and that makes my point.  the D didnt face a top offense,  they played well,   against a bad offense, hence,  B+..........give them an A if u want,  whatever.   ffs this board is filled with people that just want to sh@t an anybody that doesnt exactly agree with them....enjoy the win,  was it a Super Bowl caliber win?  No,  thats the goal.

Do you not even have a sliding scale ha... I mean, what else could our defense do?  Shutting out a "bad" offense should be an A.  Just like holding a really good offense to under 20, may also be an A.

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Do you not even have a sliding scale ha... I mean, what else could our defense do?  Shutting out a "bad" offense should be an A.  Just like holding a really good offense to under 20, may also be an A.

Along those same lines, it is extremely rare to beat a team by 5 touchdowns on the road while shutting them out regardless of the team. It was an A effort all around.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

well clearly what u think is correct then.  im not here to change minds,  i spoke mine,  i stand by it.  gl

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

That is a mean defensive line rotation!

On a side note, I don't remember ever being quite so interested in what the snap counts were for the team as a whole.

Surprised AJ only played 46% of the snaps. Felt like he was putting pressure all day. If Basham can prove he has potential, they’ll be able to phase out Addison and Jerry next year. 

49 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I haven't had time to read all the comments, but the score was not indicative of the teams' play in the game. It felt more like a 24-17 Bills win.

:doh:🙄

Seriously?

There are no "moral victories".  Likewise there are no "moral losses". 

The defense doesn't get to take 7 points off the board against the Steelers because the blocked punt was on the ST watch. 

You don't get to take 11 points away from the offense and award 17 to the Dolphins because of "your feels"

The score is, what the score is.  There were no flukes or flakey plays or questionable ref calls on INT or fumbles giving the Bills the ball.  The Bills offense earned every point of those scores with long drives.

Give me an 'F'in break

I was heartened to see the Bills defense play so well.

Yeah, so "heartened" it feels to you like they gave up 17 points they did not

Liked seeing the hard running form Singletary and Moss (except for the fumbles).

Yeah, liked the running so much you want to take away some of the points scored on rushing TDs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

honestly not sure what your arguement is here,   both Tua and Brissett are bad,  and that makes my point.  the D didnt face a top offense,  they played well,   against a bad offense, hence,  B+..........give them an A if u want,  whatever.   

enjoy the win,  was it a Super Bowl caliber win?  No,  thats the goal.   if u cant see the teams limitations against what appears to be an inferior opponent,  and u just want to savor the win.  good 4 u.

im a Bills fan,  im certainly happy they won,  i dont root against them or any player,  but im also a realist.......if u want to ignore the problems and just hope they dont cost games  (already has cost us one),  well gl 2 u and anybody else thats taken this stance here.

one last thing,  every,  EVERY,  game counts here.  this isnt MLB,  or the NHL,  or the NBA,   where u can suck it up for a quarter of the season and then make the playoffs,  every game matters in the NFL,   especially if our goal is homefield in the playoffs.    i dont want to face the Chiefs again in Arrowhead,  with a full stadium,  to advance in the playoffs.   

Was it a Super Bowl caliber win - who knows.  What it was - was a convincing, shut out victory over a team that is expected to compete for not only the playoffs, but the division title.

Miami was widely considered to be one of the top AFC teams and based upon last year and the additional talent they secured in the draft and via FA - they were supposed to be the AFC East team that challenged the Bills for the Division.  They were the only AFC East team to get a victory last week and beat a team in NE that is expected to also challenge.  It is not like Miami beat Houston or the Jets - so yes - it was a darn good win over a team that will be right with Buffalo until the end of the season.

We will see where that offense ends up by the end, but to shut them out and stuff them on multiple 4th downs and force multiple Turnovers- yeah the defense deserves an A to A+

- just looking at your original post tells me your not a realist, but it is what it is - you can freely complain and most people can freely disagree and note that your assessment was just not good.  

Facts are facts and every game does matter and anytime your defense can force multiple turnovers, get multiple sacks (6), hold a team to under 75 yards rushing and 200 yards passing while blowing them out (even in garbage time) - then that defense did some incredible things.  

When your offense puts up nearly 150 yards rushing and 3 scores and you pass for multiple scores against what is considered to be a top 3-5 defense in the league - the offense also should get some praise.  Do they have things to clean up - yep, but that is an excellent defense and they won many games for Miami last year and yet they found ways to move the ball and get into a rhythm.

Overall - all 3 phases and the coaching were better than the opponents and they manhandled a very good team - with things that still need to be cleaned up, but an overall very good performance by the team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seriously?

The defense doesn't get to take 7 points off the board against the Steelers because the blocked punt was on the ST watch. 

You don't get to take 11 points away from the offense and award 17 to the Dolphins because of "your feels"

The score is, what the score is.  There were no flukes or flakey plays or questionable ref calls on INT or fumbles giving the Bills the ball.  The Bills offense earned every point of those scores with long drives.

Give me an 'F'in break

Yeah, liked the running so much you want to take away some of the points scored on rushing TDs

Wow. I would not have expected a response like this to what I considered a rather innocuous post. 

You seem to think I was crapping all over the Bills' effort. That certainly was not my impression of what I was saying. If you want another version of what I intended, let's say "I wish the passing offense had looked more in synch. The Bills defense played great. The rushing attack was much better than we have seen for a while. I wish Josh had looked better but I think he will in future."

I did not get to see the game live, but I knew the final score was 35-0 before I watched it, and was a bit surprised that in the actual game play it was not one of Allen's lights-out performances.

I'm surprised at you taking such umbrage at what I wrote since you as a person don't seem to me to lose your temper very often. In general I have found you to be one of the most sane of the posters on this board, and if you will go back you will see that 90% of the time I agree with your comments. 

I thought this was a cool little factoid from Peter King's column this morning:

"Two of Miami’s last three games have been against Buffalo. Tagovailoa got yanked for ineffective play against the Bills in Week 17 last year. He had to leave because of injury after two series Sunday in south Florida. Combined score of the two games: Buffalo 91, Miami 26. Even in the great Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas days, the Bills never laid it on the Dolphins like this in a two-game span; Kelly’s high score in back-to-back games was 79 points. The Dolphins are not in Buffalo’s league, no matter who is quarterbacking—and backup Jacoby Brissett was as ineffective as the man drafted to be the franchise quarterback 17 months ago."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/20/ravens-chiefs-oweh-nfl-fmia-week-2-peter-king/

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

That is a mean defensive line rotation!

On a side note, I don't remember ever being quite so interested in what the snap counts were for the team as a whole.

image.thumb.png.a39da585735976c23979309f9d99de59.png

Mixed in with the offense:

M Hyde               FS                82  61%

Couple things:

1) I had not realized Wallace only played ~ 1/3 of the game.  Someone said "cramps" but I wonder if the taunting penalty had anything to do with it?

2) Any update on Hyde?  He met with the media after the game and I didn't hear questions about injury.

3) In addition to the guys with cramps (Edmunds), I had not realized how many of the starters got pulled, including Taron Johnson, Poyer, Milano etc.

Makes the "pitching a shutout" even more impressive

I would love someone in the media or who was at the game live to do an assessment of which DL are playing where.  It's very hard to decode from the Network film. 

From this a guess at the rotation:

Rousseau-Hughes

Oliver-Butler

Zimmer-Lotulelei  (Zimmer is listed as  a 1TDT on the Bills)

Addison-Epenesa

with a handful of % mixing things up and around

But it's hard to tell, and some of the PR about Zimmer pass rushing up the gut:

Justin Zimmer active over Harrison Phillips, and shows why

It was a surprise healthy scratch for Phillips but Zimmer has established himself as a trustworthy pass rusher up the gut for the Bills. He recorded a sack in the game and had a huge win on the Jackson 4th-down tackle to help set up his teammate.

sounds as though it could have been

Oliver-Zimmer

Lotulelei-Butler

with a handful of mix-n-match

Anyone?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love someone in the media or who was at the game live to do an assessment of which DL are playing where.  It's very hard to decode from the Network film. 

Rousseau-Hughes

Oliver-Butler

Addison-Epenesa

Oliver-Zimmer

Lotulelei-Butler

Anyone?

I don't have an answer just yet, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that Erik Turner and the Cover 1 crew will be breaking down the d-line play on Twitter throughout the week. They'll have the usual cut-ups, looping replays, analysis, and explanations. I presume you already follow them and/or are familiar with their work. If not, I'm sure someone here will post links as it becomes available. That seems like the best bet as far as ascertaining who played where and when.

Edited by Logic

9 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Wow. I would not have expected a response like this to what I considered a rather innocuous post. 

You seem to think I was crapping all over the Bills' effort. That certainly was not my impression of what I was saying. If you want another version of what I intended, let's say "I wish the passing offense had looked more in synch. The Bills defense played great. The rushing attack was much better than we have seen for a while. I wish Josh had looked better but I think he will in future."

I did not get to see the game live, but I knew the final score was 35-0 before I watched it, and was a bit surprised that in the actual game play it was not one of Allen's lights-out performances.

I'm surprised at you taking such umbrage at what I wrote since you as a person don't seem to me to lose your temper very often. In general I have found you to be one of the most sane of the posters on this board, and if you will go back you will see that 90% of the time I agree with your comments.

Haha I was not losing my temper there.  Believe me, when I lose my temper, there's no ambiguity.

And I usually delete those posts

I take it as a fair point that you didn't intend "crapping all over" the Bills effort, but I think when you write that the effort "felt like" a drastically different score, perhaps some awareness that IS how it comes across (at least to me, and I don't think I'm alone). 

I may be influenced by the number of such takes in the GDTs and postgame.  It's become irksome.

I absolutely understand being surprised, seeing the score before watching the game, that it wasn't the Pass-fest that one might have expected.  Still seems like a serious Diss on both the defensive and the offensive effort.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seriously?

Give me an 'F'in break

The defense wasn't on the field for the blocked punt.  How do you still not get this?  This isn't new thinking.  Do you credit the Stillers offense for the TD on the blocked punt despite the fact they weren't on the field? No, you credit the TD to special teams.

39 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Was it a Super Bowl caliber win - who knows.  What it was - was a convincing, shut out victory over a team that is expected to compete for not only the playoffs, but the division title.

Miami was widely considered to be one of the top AFC teams and based upon last year and the additional talent they secured in the draft and via FA - they were supposed to be the AFC East team that challenged the Bills for the Division.  They were the only AFC East team to get a victory last week and beat a team in NE that is expected to also challenge.  It is not like Miami beat Houston or the Jets - so yes - it was a darn good win over a team that will be right with Buffalo until the end of the season.

We will see where that offense ends up by the end, but to shut them out and stuff them on multiple 4th downs and force multiple Turnovers- yeah the defense deserves an A to A+

- just looking at your original post tells me your not a realist, but it is what it is - you can freely complain and most people can freely disagree and note that your assessment was just not good.  

Facts are facts and every game does matter and anytime your defense can force multiple turnovers, get multiple sacks (6), hold a team to under 75 yards rushing and 200 yards passing while blowing them out (even in garbage time) - then that defense did some incredible things.  

When your offense puts up nearly 150 yards rushing and 3 scores and you pass for multiple scores against what is considered to be a top 3-5 defense in the league - the offense also should get some praise.  Do they have things to clean up - yep, but that is an excellent defense and they won many games for Miami last year and yet they found ways to move the ball and get into a rhythm.

Overall - all 3 phases and the coaching were better than the opponents and they manhandled a very good team - with things that still need to be cleaned up, but an overall very good performance by the team.

i find it hilarious that a B+ instead of an A.........makes this much of a problem.  this board never ceases to amaze me lol......

u acknowledge the shortcomings yet its not ok to point them out?  too funny.

your projection for the Phins doesnt mean much,  every season is different,  they looked like hot garbage,   was that due to our D,  or their ineptitude?  probably a bit of both.    Phins were barely a playoff team last season and stunk up the joint against our backups......dont tell me theyre good.    are the Steelers good?   D played fairly well against an old limited QB with zero running game,  and Pitt just lost at home to a team that underachieves on a regular basis.  u like facts,  how bout those.?

and ffs....man my whining and complaining.......thick and heavy right?  love how this day in age,  u point out facts that are fairly easy to see if your eyes are open,  and its complaining or whining.    

im too old to ignore things that slap me in the face just to have a feel good victory,  this game counts,  we needed it,  its one step towards the final goal.  

moving on.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Don't take it too personally... it is frustrating when so many fans think teams are going to be caught by surprise or roll over for our Bills this year.

They aren't - especially when the concensus opinion from NFL pundits and front offices was that the Bills were the 2nd best AFC team going into the season.

Teams are copying what worked well to slow this offense down and are bringing their "A" game.

But when your offense hangs over 30 pts against an NFL team folks need to step back and be a bit more realistic in their critiques.

Too many fans are expecting air-Allen against decent secondaries and solid 4-man rushes.

Teams are expecting a pass-first Bills team... they are not going to sneak up on anyone. If our opponents have the dogs up front to pressure with 4 and still stuff the run - coupled with solid secondaries then it is going to be tough sledding.

The offense as a whole has things it needs to clean up, but when they can put together enough back-breaking drives to seal a win like this it is a good win.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haha I was not losing my temper there.  Believe me, when I lose my temper, there's no ambiguity.

And I usually delete those posts

I take it as a fair point that you didn't intend "crapping all over" the Bills effort, but I think when you write that the effort "felt like" a drastically different score, perhaps some awareness that IS how it comes across (at least to me, and I don't think I'm alone). 

I may be influenced by the number of such takes in the GDTs and postgame.  It's become irksome.

I absolutely understand being surprised, seeing the score before watching the game, that it wasn't the Pass-fest that one might have expected.  Still seems like a serious Diss on both the defensive and the offensive effort.

I think with Josh still showing struggles, and  with a completion percentage hovering around 50% it just didn’t feel as dominating as it actually was. I myself felt strange most of the game, you keep looking at the score board and when it got to 21 you knew there were no worries, but still maybe because of how the 2nd half last week or 18 years of futility, it didn’t feel like a 35-0 ass kicking it was. Although I remember  cursing at Daboll watching Allen on what looked like a planned run on his last drive and wondered why he would open him up to that?

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Don't take it too personally... it is frustrating when so many fans think teams are going to be caught by surprise or roll over for our Bills this year.

They aren't - especially when the concensus opinion from NFL pundits and front offices was that the Bills were the 2nd best AFC team going into the season.

Teams are copying what worked well to slow this offense down and are bringing their "A" game.

But when your offense hangs over 30 pts against an NFL team folks need to step back and be a bit more realistic in their critiques.

Too many fans are expecting air-Allen against decent secondaries and solid 4-man rushes.

Teams are expecting a pass-first Bills team... they are not going to sneak up on anyone. If our opponents have the dogs up front to pressure with 4 and still stuff the run - coupled with solid secondaries then it is going to be tough sledding.

The offense as a whole has things it needs to clean up, but when they can put together enough back-breaking drives to seal a win like this it is a good win.

My biggest frustration these first two games has been the offensive line.  If any position has regressed from last year it's the Oline IMO.  I've developed a bias against them that I guess I need to get overthat.  To me, it seems at least one of them is getting beat every single play.  The only way we are able to gain one yard when we need it is the QB sneak. 

The back-to-back penalties by O linemen (Ford and Williams I think) on what should have been our last drive of the first half, after using all of our timeouts to save clock and give us time to get in FG range, is just unacceptable and so very frustrating.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.png.a39da585735976c23979309f9d99de59.png

Couple things:

1) I had not realized Wallace only played ~ 1/3 of the game.  Someone said "cramps" but I wonder if the taunting penalty had anything to do with it?

2) Any update on Hyde?  He met with the media after the game and I didn't hear questions about injury.

3) In addition to the guys with cramps (Edmunds), I had not realized how many of the starters got pulled, including Taron Johnson, Poyer, Milano etc.

Makes the "pitching a shutout" even more impressive

Rousseau-Hughes

Oliver-Butler

Addison-Epenesa

Oliver-Zimmer

Lotulelei-Butler

Anyone?

I mean our backups have embarrassed them before.

One thing that stood out to me re: the Bills during the KC-BAL game is guys making plays with the ball in their hand. Our YAC is abysmal with one player in the top 100 in the league. Last year we had 3 I believe, with Diggs at 13. 

A lot goes into that between Josh, Daboll, and the WR room. Two biggest factors I think are 1. Daboll likes the curl route more than most OC's (just by my eye) and likes it even more when Josh is cold to get him on target. 2. When Josh is off like he has been the last two weeks or earlier in his career, he doesn't put the ball in a great place to make a play after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My biggest frustration these first two games has been the offensive line.  If any position has regressed from last year it's the Oline IMO.  I've developed a bias against them that I guess I need to get overthat.  To me, it seems at least one of them is getting beat every single play.  The only way we are able to gain one yard when we need it is the QB sneak. 

The back-to-back penalties by O linemen (Ford and Williams I think) on what should have been our last drive of the first half, after using all of our timeouts to save clock and give us time to get in FG range, is just unacceptable and so very frustrating.

That was a crazy drive, for reals.  Flores must have been building up to a froth.  First, they force us to a 3-and-out.  Then, the result of the ST sequence (and the Fins take pride in their ST) was to give us a 33 yard field position advantage!  Finally, cap it off with Bass-O-Matic missing a 53 yd FG, which has NOT been his habit.

Agree on the penalties.  There's an element of chance to the holding - sometimes the refs call 'em, and sometimes they don't.  But the false start, we can't have.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

One thing that stood out to me re: the Bills during the KC-BAL game is guys making plays with the ball in their hand. Our YAC is abysmal with one player in the top 100 in the league. Last year we had 3 I believe, with Diggs at 13. 

That's actually interesting because I thought YAC was a big gap for us last season.  I didn't know we had 3 guys in the top 100. 

As far as YAC passing, the Bills were overall mediocre last season (14th)

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

😆

One of the things that Baldy shows is how Tua was unaware of unblocked rushers on those first two sacks.  TE goes across the formation leaving Taron Johnson unblocked, and somehow this doesn't register.  Next sack, back motions into the backfield, and somehow no one notices that means Micah Hyde has a free shot.

It's like "the Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster's Dead"

Now don't get me wrong, young QB and rookie QBs make these mistakes - Josh Allen certainly did as a rookie and sometimes his 2nd year - but Tua or whoever is setting their protections Needs to be Better.  It's not like Johnson or Hyde were being subtle about it.  They were like, "we're coming, Prepare to Die". 

I thought the Word on Tua was that he was gonna succeed as a Brees-type cerebral QB who could figure things out and process at lightening speed.  Not seeing it.

So glad Miami didn't draft Herbert.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Couple things:

Either you or what you're quoting transposed those #s.  I assume he played 61 defensive snaps, or 82%, same as Poyer.  They were pulled for the last series or 2, which IMO is a good thing.

Just now, eSJayDee said:

Either you or what you're quoting transposed those #s.  I assume he played 61 defensive snaps, or 82%, same as Poyer.  They were pulled for the last series or 2, which IMO is a good thing.

Yes, you're correct, I transposed the numbers.

I didn't catch it because I had thought Hyde went out for a while with an injury.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's actually interesting because I thought YAC was a big gap for us last season.  I didn't know we had 3 guys in the top 100. 

As far as YAC passing, the Bills were overall mediocre last season (14th)

Good point on the team numbers from last year. I just pulled them up. We were so pass heavy last year that our total YAC was decent/mediocre at 14. But YAC/Comp we were 22 at 4.7 YAC/Comp. Actually a slight decrease from 2019 where we averaged 5.0 YAC/Comp. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Good point on the team numbers from last year. I just pulled them up. We were so pass heavy last year that our total YAC was decent/mediocre at 14. But YAC/Comp we were 22 at 4.7 YAC/Comp. Actually a slight decrease from 2019 where we averaged 5.0 YAC/Comp. 

So as a related interesting stat.

Right now the Bills seem to be #5 for "intended air yards" but #10 for "completed air yards".

That tells me right now part of the problem is missing on deep shots.

• Like (+1) 1

Star had a good game.

After all the hand wringing over Star being lazy, etc., he showed up to camp in really good shape and it's carried into the season. Epenesa and Rousseau rightly got a lot of the credit for our pass rush yesterday, but give Star his due. The d-line is a lot better when he's doing his job.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So as a related interesting stat.

Right now the Bills seem to be #5 for "intended air yards" but #10 for "completed air yards".

That tells me right now part of the problem is missing on deep shots.

I would add, an over reliance on hitting the deep shots. We are just not hitting anything consistently running or passing. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Star had a good game.

After all the hand wringing over Star being lazy, etc., he showed up to camp in really good shape and it's carried into the season. Epenesa and Rousseau rightly got a lot of the credit for our pass rush yesterday, but give Star his due. The d-line is a lot better when he's doing his job.

Someone mentioned that Miami had 3 guys trying to block Star at one point 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

😆

One of the things that Baldy shows is how Tua was unaware of unblocked rushers on those first two sacks.  TE goes across the formation leaving Taron Johnson unblocked, and somehow this doesn't register.  Next sack, back motions into the backfield, and somehow no one notices that means Micah Hyde has a free shot.

It's like "the Wheel is Spinning but the Hamster's Dead"

Now don't get me wrong, young QB and rookie QBs make these mistakes - Josh Allen certainly did as a rookie and sometimes his 2nd year - but Tua or whoever is setting their protections Needs to be Better.  It's not like Johnson or Hyde were being subtle about it.  They were like, "we're coming, Prepare to Die". 

I thought the Word on Tua was that he was gonna succeed as a Brees-type cerebral QB who could figure things out and process at lightening speed.  Not seeing it.

So glad Miami didn't draft Herbert.

Yup it’s exactly what I said here:

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Star had a good game.

On the other hand, Woof!  Bad missed tackle by Edmunds in the 2nd of those clips.  Got to stick that, Tremaine.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the other hand, Woof!  Bad missed tackle by Edmunds in the 2nd of those clips.  Got to stick that, Tremaine.

He can’t - that’s a textbook example of a play where his height works against him.  It’s too easy for a short ball carrier to stick his foot in the ground and use his leverage against Edmunds’ height.  Big reason you don’t see many 6’5” MLBs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

They are mostly the same unit that was in front of Allen last season albeit Ford was hurt and out of the lineup down the stretch.

The struggles they had vs better 4-man rushes and opening running lanes have not vanished nor Allen's struggles against nickle and dime 2-3 deep zones shells.

They are still pretty sloppy with unforced errors that they need to clean up, but they also know that they are giving up too many pressures so they have been pressing and jumping their snap count as well as holding.

Teams started out last year playing Allen by blitzing bringing the 5th rusher and playing man. The oline picked those up long enough for Allen to eat that up and I think fans are glued to those successes.

I believe Tennessee was the first to primarily pressure with 4 and drop 7 into coverage.

Teams that copied that blueprint had the most success containing this offense so expect that from every opponent.

KC, who was struggling last year covering receivers, sold out to stop the Bills passing in our playoff game.

Five Thirty-eight had a great breakdown of the KC defense that stymied our offense.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-chiefs-defense-used-four-big-safeties-to-get-to-the-super-bowl/

"Spagnuolo deployed six defensive backs more in the AFC championship game than any other team has in a single game 2 since he became the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator at the start of the 2019 season.

All told, the Chiefs used a 4-1-6  3-personnel package on an incredible 75 percent of their defensive snaps.

But Spagnuolo wasn’t selling out to stop the pass completely. Instead of using three or four smaller cornerbacks to cover Stefon Diggs and the other Bills wide receivers, Spagnuolo trotted out bigger-bodied safeties to hedge his bets and help defend the run — just in case.

There were four of those big safeties on most plays: Tyrann Mathieu, Juan Thornhill, Daniel Sorensen and L’Jarius Sneed.

It wasn’t until late in the third quarter, when Mahomes and the Chiefs had taken a commanding 31-15 lead, that Spagnuolo ultimately switched to a more aggressive three-cornerback/three-safety form of coverage designed almost exclusively to stop the pass"

This year even Blitzburgh shelved bringing the extra man which is uncharacteristic of that defense and stuck to keeping extra dbs and safeties and playing zone shells and using creative zone blitzes (still bringing 4) while spelling their better pass rushers by dropping dline players into shallow zones while bringing dbs and safeties from the slots to confuse & overload protections.

I think I read that they only blitzed twice. 

So expect a sellout pass-first defense vs. our Bills every week. Hence the off-season focus of being able to run against those lighter boxes and safeties teams are using in the second level.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1