Preseason Predictions - What were you right about and wrong about ?

Locomark

Things I was right about… 
- Dane Jackson was not going to mount a heavy challenge at CB2

- Dawson Knox will continue to have the dropsies no matter what off-season drills he did

Things I was totally wrong about…

- Rousseau wouldn’t be ready to make an impact until later in the season

- Moss would clearly set himself apart from Singletary as the starter

- AJ Epenesa could be a bust 

What are yours?

• Like (+1) 1

Josh is still really good and the pass to Beasley back against the grain running away was spot on the money.

And then he backs it up with a dart to Davis.

Sorry 2 throws not any other qb  make

Edited by scuba guy
Typo
  • Like (+1) 3

Roussea...  I watched some of his college game tape.  I was impressed by how athletic he was and and how he used his length to his advantage.  But I also thought he looked both raw and weak.  Especially after taking 2020 off, I didn't think he'd be remotely ready for the NFL.  

I'm reconsidering that opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Roussea...  I watched some of his college game tape.  I was impressed by how athletic he was and and how he used his length to his advantage.  But I also thought he looked both raw and weak.  Especially after taking 2020 off, I didn't think he'd be remotely ready for the NFL.  

I'm reconsidering that opinion.  

Agreed. I thought Basham would be more ready and Rousseau would need half a season to show us something if at all this year. Now I think Rousseau could be a high impact player and Basham might be the project. 

37 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The defense is still concerning and the interior line is still weak.

Totally agree with this. We still can’t stop the run. Curious to see if we flip some cap space in the next week and try to pick up a DL. 

Hard to draw any conclusions from preseason.  
Looks like we’ve improved the pass rush.  Our non-Josh run game looks like it’s been emphasized.  Jury still out on improvement.  
I think we can be stouter against the run when we want to be with return of Star and some bigger DE’s.  
Tight End still seems like a weakness.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

Glad to see Mitch Morse looks better than last year. 

Trubisky’s improved play makes me feel much better about Allen missing time. 

Singletary has really stepped up. 

Still concerned about interior DL, consistent guard play and CB2 (and punter). 

Edmunds looks healthy. 

Brieda’s role still seems undefined. But will wait until regular season. 

Gage Davis looks like the true WR2.  

Well, it was only preseason, so I'm assuming and hoping that we were just running a vanilla defense, but... I was thinking that our run defense was going to be a lot more stout with Star coming back.  So far, not so much.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

Well, it was only preseason, so I'm assuming and hoping that we were just running a vanilla defense, but... I was thinking that our run defense was going to be a lot more stout with Star coming back.  So far, not so much.

Though it is going to give me heartburn I think the solution to our defense issue is just going to have to be to score more points against the better teams.  Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Tennessee at a minimum are going to want to run the ball on us. A lot. Need to hold them to the occasional field goal and get 35+ on the board. Win the game 35-31. We aren't going to be holding many people below 24 I don't think.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Though it is going to give me heartburn I think the solution to our defense issue is just going to have to be to score more points against the better teams.  Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Tennessee at a minimum are going to want to run the ball on us. A lot. Need to hold them to the occasional field goal and get 35+ on the board. Win the game 35-31. We aren't going to be holding many people below 24 I don't think.

I think McDermott invites teams to run the ball at us a certain % of the time, his thinking being you aren't going to outscore this offense running the ball a ton.

• Agree 3

I didn’t think the return of Cody Ford would move the needle much on the interior. We still need upgrades.

I didn’t think Star’s return would lead to Edmunds becoming more instinctual and an overall better linebacker. 

I didn’t think Star’s return would translate to a much improved run stopping defense (I remember how it was with him 2 years ago).

I thought Rousseau was strictly a measureables pick and had a lot of bust potential. Happy he’s looking like the real deal.

I didn’t like the double dipping of DEs because I knew both those players were safe and it would force the Bills to make a tough decision if Obada panned out. 

Didn’t like the double dipping of OTs because I felt we needed to take a swing at upgrading the interior. We’ll see how this one shakes out.

Didnt think Dane Jackson had the consistency to overtake Levi Wallace for CB2.

I worried Josh Allen’s season set the bar so high, it would be hard for him to replicate that success this year, thus leading us all to believe he took a step back. None of us can judge heart and the will/want to get better and that dude has it in spades. Feels great to hit big on a QB and I’m glad my thoughts of him being a bust were emphatically disproved. 

I’m still not sure we closed the gap with KC, since many of last year’s issues have carried over to this year, but… any given Sunday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I didn’t think the return of Cody Ford would move the needle much on the interior. We still need upgrades.

I didn’t think Star’s return would lead to Edmunds becoming more instinctual and an overall better linebacker. 

I didn’t think Star’s return would translate to a much improved run stopping defense (I remember how it was with him 2 years ago).

I thought Rousseau was strictly a measureables pick and had a lot of bust potential. Happy he’s looking like the real deal.

I didn’t like the double dipping of DEs because I knew both those players were safe and it would force the Bills to make a tough decision if Obada panned out. 

Didn’t like the double dipping of OTs because I felt we needed to take a swing at upgrading the interior. We’ll see how this one shakes out.

Didnt think Dane Jackson had the consistency to overtake Levi Wallace for CB2.

I worried Josh Allen’s season set the bar so high, it would be hard for him to replicate that success this year, thus leading us all to believe he took a step back. None of us can judge heart and the will/want to get better and that dude has it in spades. Feels great to hit big on a QB and I’m glad my thoughts of him being a bust were emphatically disproved. 

I’m still not sure we closed the gap with KC, since many of last year’s issues have carried over to this year, but… any given Sunday.

I think the draft was strong at both OT and end. We want to build a dominant defense with lots of ends (though I understand seven is too many, they are looking at the big picture.) to move inside on passing downs.

Our defense was statistically much better when Star played. It was 2nd, 3rd, then fell to ~ 14 last year.l

I can't really say why watching Star, but the numbers changed a lot.

We have Two backup OTs (the rookies) and two back up interior players (Boetger And Bates). It worked out just fine..

Dane Jackson hardly played last year so nobody knew including the coaches.

Josh also has talent in spades to go along with everything else. He is full of spades.

I don't think we caught KC either but I Billieve were a lot better including Josh. I think we have a good chance.

Im worried about the defense. Last January, Allen really didn't have his weapons with him. He ought to be fully loaded come week five (or at least I hope he has them.)

But Allen's better. His weapons are better. His OL is better. His DL is better. Maybe Tremaine ....steps up this year. You can't judge by preseason. I predicted 14-3 and another loss in AFC Championship but I can also see us catching them. I see both possibilities. I think the Bills are the 3rd best team in the NFL right now.

Im hoping Beane makes a move during cutdown maybe an End for a CB or DT?

Still haven't ruled out Ertz by the trade deadline. Or maybe a different TE?

Daryl Johnson has got a lot of pretty decent film out there of him playing DE this summer....

On top of that he is a Special Teams demon and a freak athlete. 

Does he have value on the trade market?

Im not sure?

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think McDermott invites teams to run the ball at us a certain % of the time, his thinking being you aren't going to outscore this offense running the ball a ton.

Which is fine except Kansas City ran all over them and beat them handily, twice. Tennessee ran all over them and beat them handily. New England ran on them the first game and was a very unfortunate play away from beating them. Indianapolis ran all over them in the second half and nearly came back on them. The Baltimore he was two very unusual missed field goals and a historic interception away from being a different game as the offense only had 220 yards in the whole game.

It's a really dangerous way to live, particularly when you play against competent defensive teams that ARE capable of slowing your offense down. They don't even need to shut you down, just slowing you down can be enough.

They didn't fix it, and I don't think they can fix it this year which is why I said the solution is better offense. However, I'm not sure they did that either and their offensive flaws look to be the same. Maybe I'm wrong and the line is better and they will be able to run and protect a little better. Maybe the addition of Sanders will make a difference. Maybe I'm wrong about the defense and they won't be Charmin soft this year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I think the draft was strong at both OT and end. We want to build a dominant defense with lots of ends (though I understand seven is too many, they are looking at the big picture.) to move inside on passing downs.

Our defense was statistically much better when Star played. It was 2nd, 3rd, then fell to ~ 14 last year.l

I can't really say why watching Star, but the numbers changed a lot.

We have Two backup OTs (the rookies) and two back up interior players (Boetger And Bates). It worked out just fine..

Dane Jackson hardly played last year so nobody knew including the coaches.

Josh also has talent in spades to go along with everything else. He is full of spades.

I don't think we caught KC either but I Billieve were a lot better including Josh. I think we have a good chance.

Im worried about the defense. Last January, Allen really didn't have his weapons with him. He ought to be fully loaded come week five (or at least I hope he has them.)

But Allen's better. His weapons are better. His OL is better. His DL is better. Maybe Tremaine ....steps up this year. You can't judge by preseason. I predicted 14-3 and another loss in AFC Championship but I can also see us catching them. I see both possibilities. I think the Bills are the 3rd best team in the NFL right now.

Im hoping Beane makes a move during cutdown maybe an End for a CB or DT?

Still haven't ruled out Ertz by the trade deadline. Or maybe a different TE?

Daryl Johnson has got a lot of pretty decent film out there of him playing DE this summer....

On top of that he is a Special Teams demon and a freak athlete. 

Does he have value on the trade market?

Im not sure?

Go Bills!

Seems a lot of folks here still don't get it with Star. I thought he played well in the GB game. Was there a run or two while he was in, sure. But they are way better with him in there. Just as an example, we stopped them at the goal line in the first qt. He was a big part of that stance. Also, on the play where Kline knifes through for a tackle behind the LOS, you can see Star throw his opponent to his left like a rag doll. Star was missed last year, big time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Locomark said:

Things I was right about… 
- Dane Jackson was not going to mount a heavy challenge at CB2

- Dawson Knox will continue to have the dropsies no matter what off-season drills he did

Things I was totally wrong about…

- Rousseau wouldn’t be ready to make an impact until later in the season

- Moss would clearly set himself apart from Singletary as the starter

- AJ Epenesa could be a bust 

What are yours?

Things I was right about:

-Trubisky would look good

-Hollister would be a nice addition

-McKenzie would win the KR/PR competition over Stevenson and Powell (not as sure a thing since he's now injured and Stevenson got his Shot)

-AJ Epenesa would look ready to make a step

Things I was wrong about:

-Lamp and Douglas would make a serious challenge to start at G

-Knox would show great improvement in focus/drops

-Rousseau would look very raw and not ready to contribute

-Wade would make a splash

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The misdirection plays seem to completely fool our defense EVERY TIME…. I suspect the Patriots will throw a lot of this in their game plan when we play them and just target Edmunds all game.

What did you think of Davis's performance? Not bad for having to prove himself ha? 

I thought that Rousseau was going to be a project that that his long frame would lead him to get pushed around by NFL tackles until he added more bulk. Instead he had an immediate impact in preseason and was able to overpower an OT drafted in the top 10.

I also thought that Ford/Knox/Edmunds would breakout in preseason, but I didn't see too much of that. Ford was outplayed by Boettger, Knox by Hollister, and Edmunds by Andre Smith.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Seems a lot of folks here still don't get it with Star. I thought he played well in the GB game. Was there a run or two while he was in, sure. But they are way better with him in there. Just as an example, we stopped them at the goal line in the first qt. He was a big part of that stance. Also, on the play where Kline knifes through for a tackle behind the LOS, you can see Star throw his opponent to his left like a rag doll. Star was missed last year, big time.

I am fine with Star but we have little beyond him to stop the run at true 1 tech DT, plus at his age I figure they will have to draft DT first round next year. The reality is Harry isn’t the answer and Oliver isn’t stout so we need another gifted big body who can really contribute inside. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Things I was right about:

-Trubisky would look good

-Hollister would be a nice addition

-McKenzie would win the KR/PR competition over Stevenson and Powell

-AJ Epenesa would look ready to make a step

Things I was wrong about:

-Lamp and Douglas would make a serious challenge to start at G

-Knox would show great improvement in focus/drops

-Rousseau would look very raw and not ready to contribute

-Wade would make a splash

Hollister will make some plays for us this year. Throw in the new adds of Breida and likely TD Jesus and maybe Stevenson and they will have many chances to diversify game plans this year whereas last year their TE2, RB3, and WR6 served little offensive use. 

I also thought Lamp would at least contend for a backup role. 

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They didn't fix it, and I don't think they can fix it this year which is why I said the solution is better offense. However, I'm not sure they did that either and their offensive flaws look to be the same.

I think there are plenty of factors that could lead to a better offense this year:

1) Allen takes his game to yet another level.

2) Singletary gets back to his rookie self.

3) Sanders upgrades Brown.

4) Davis progresses in his 2nd year.

And based on the offseason so far all of these seem fairly likely at this point. I don't see a spot where the offense got worse. As good as we were last year there is always room for improvement.

Defensively I agree I don't see us being too much better than last year. I was hoping to see players like Edmunds and Oliver take a big step but I haven't seen evidence of that so far this offseason. Hopefully Rousseau has a big impact this year but I'm not going to rely on a rookie to take our defense to an elite level.

Last year our defense was average to bad for most of the year and our offense still carried us to the AFC Championship where they happened to have their worst game of the season. If our already elite offense does manage to take a step forward, even if our defense is mediocre that is still a winning formula for the Super Bowl as Kansas City has proved.

Joe B and Matt Fairburn have a shot at right about/wrong about question, in the form of biggest surprise, biggest disappointment

https://theathletic.com/2795735/2021/08/29/bills-preseason-wrap-biggest-surprise-disappointment-and-questions-from-buffalos-summer/?source=emp_shared_article

Who was the biggest surprise of camp?

Buscaglia: (...)I’ll take fullback/tight end Reggie Gilliam for this. Coming into camp it appeared as though Gilliam would have a tough time making the roster ahead of Tommy Sweeney. However, little things started to add up. First, they “moved” Gilliam to fullback a day before camp began. (...) Gilliam appeared on all the major special-teams units and started getting time with the top offensive unit in preseason games.(....)He offers multi-position versatility and special-teams ability, which the Bills covet. Gilliam went from outside looking in to firmly on the 53-man roster for me.

Fairburn: Wallace’s performance took me by surprise. During the spring practices we saw, Jackson seemed to have closed the gap on Wallace in the competition to be the Bills’ No. 2 cornerback. But before a late hip injury that has kept him out of practice recently, Wallace has made it clear that’s his spot. Now entering his fourth season, Wallace carries himself like someone who belongs in the starting lineup. He makes so few mistakes with his technique and positioning, but Wallace sprinkled in some big plays during camp.

Who was the biggest disappointment?

Fairburn: Basham was billed as one of the most pro-ready defensive ends in the draft, but he struggled to earn reps with the first and second-team defense throughout the summer. T(...)  This is hardly a reason to be concerned about Basham’s long-term potential. But after he picked off a pass early in camp, he had the look of a player who could make an instant impact. Instead, Rousseau, Epenesa and even Obada passed him on the depth chart.(...)

Buscaglia: (...) I’ll go with 2019 second-round pick Cody Ford as the biggest disappointment. General manager Brandon Beane said during the offseason that he would be surprised if Ford wasn’t one of their best five offensive linemen. Yet, against the Packers, Ford split first-team offensive series with Ike Boettger. On top of that, when Ford was in the game, he continued to give up pass-rushing pressures as he has a lot this summer.

Preseason is over, so what is one Bills opinion you have now that you didn’t think you’d have before camp?

Fairburn: The Bills have the right mix at running back. This was a question mark heading into training camp after the running game underwhelmed in 2020. But Devin Singletary’s offseason work translated into a strong preseason. Zack Moss battled through some bumps and bruises to put together a productive summer. And Matt Breida adds needed speed to this backfield. Between those three backs, Brian Daboll has enough to work with at running back. (...) when they need plays from their running backs, they’ll get them. Singletary, Moss and Breida may not be individually destined for stardom, but as a group, they’ll produce enough results.

Buscaglia: Rousseau is ready for a big role right away. (......) Rousseau was giving starting right tackle Daryl Williams all he could handle, and the two had one of the best back-and-forth battles all camp. Rousseau took the strong practice performances into the preseason and has consistently won pass-rushing reps to get into the backfield.  (.....)   Rousseau has been so effective, that it would not be a surprise to see him being the starting right defensive end with Hughes over on the left side. The  Bills teased that with their first two defensive series against the Packers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

What I believe I was wrong about as the games haven’t been played, but just purely on PS.

I thought Dane would’ve had a better camp and pushed Levi harder.

I thought like many GROOT would be raw and Boogie would be more polished.  

I was right (I believe) Breida will be a nice add to this team in jet sweeps and short passes.

I’ll add a category I am pleasantly surprised at Andre as a LB.  I don’t think he’ll get much playing time, but good depth.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Davis looked great…. A 2nd year receiver who looked solid but inconsistent his rookie season has nothing to prove? Got it.

Just was trying get you to say something positive for once.  Well done. 

• Haha (+1) 2